Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I schedule conference calls during layovers and sometimes they go on to the line...to my seat...to "sir I need you to turn that off". I'm a terrible terrible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Aristotle Animes posted:

I schedule conference calls during layovers and sometimes they go on to the line...to my seat...to "sir I need you to turn that off". I'm a terrible terrible person.

That happens to all of us, I think, but just firin up the Gogo/lync combo when you're airborne is not acceptable.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That happens to all of us, I think, but just firin up the Gogo/lync combo when you're airborne is not acceptable.

I have not done this.

in other news, steer clear of the double tree downtown Richmond, va. Its not filthy but I've complained three times about the running toilet and the thermostat alternates between on all the time and not at all. Not sure where to go next time I'm in town but its not here!

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aristotle Animes posted:

I have not done this.

in other news, steer clear of the double tree downtown Richmond, va. Its not filthy but I've complained three times about the running toilet and the thermostat alternates between on all the time and not at all. Not sure where to go next time I'm in town but its not here!

There's a Hampton out to the west that's new and clean.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any meaningful difference between Economy and Business Class on an international flight on United? Does it guarantee me a power outlet and enough room to open a 12.5" laptop? (Coach does neither.)

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any meaningful difference between Economy and Business Class on an international flight on United? Does it guarantee me a power outlet and enough room to open a 12.5" laptop? (Coach does neither.)

Yes. There is little meaningful difference between Biz and First, but econ and biz are worlds apart.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Unless you are going to Mexico or Canada then yeah. Depends on the plane servicing the route. But if it crosses an ocean you're going to have a nice time in biz.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ynglaur posted:

You could certainly wonder if the difference is worth the higher price, but there is no doubt there is a meaningful difference in the seat.

United Business class seat:

United international coach seat:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks Goons. I love how the coach picture shows two completely different types of rows to make you think that most of coach has actual legroom.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Massive difference in the hard product UA int'l biz, I did a global 1st trip on UA, service was better and all but food wasn't much diff (read: meh and they had none of the wines listed on the card!)Soft product in biz varies widely with your crew just like domestic bizfirst on UA.

Now Lufthansa first...holy poo poo. No question go for 1st if you have the opportunity. Lufty econ is barbaric.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heads up not all the UA business seats are as pictured above, some are just the roomier reclining seats. Newer planes have the lay flat seats shown above.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Heads up not all the UA business seats are as pictured above, some are just the roomier reclining seats. Newer planes have the lay flat seats shown above.

They're differentiated between the sUA fleet and the sCO fleet. The sCO J seat is actually quite a bit better than the one pictured above, which is the sUA seat. On most aircraft they are four across in the middle :cry:. The barcolounger style recliners are all gone from the long-haul international fleet; the only place you see them is on the high-density 772 birds that fly to Hawaii out of the non-East Coast hubs (where a 764 is used due to range issues).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mackieman posted:

They're differentiated between the sUA fleet and the sCO fleet. The sCO J seat is actually quite a bit better than the one pictured above, which is the sUA seat. On most aircraft they are four across in the middle :cry:. The barcolounger style recliners are all gone from the long-haul international fleet; the only place you see them is on the high-density 772 birds that fly to Hawaii out of the non-East Coast hubs (where a 764 is used due to range issues).

Or use SeatGuru instead of learning a bunch of crazy acronyms and rules.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Suit yourself but Seatguru is full of misinformation.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The 4-across, face to face business class seats or whatever seemed like a loving joke to me, why would you take that over even economy? That's so weird to be facing somebody for the entire flight along with whatever issues you might have with your feet touching or something.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Aristotle Animes posted:

Massive difference in the hard product UA int'l biz, I did a global 1st trip on UA, service was better and all but food wasn't much diff (read: meh and they had none of the wines listed on the card!)Soft product in biz varies widely with your crew just like domestic bizfirst on UA.

Now Lufthansa first...holy poo poo. No question go for 1st if you have the opportunity. Lufty econ is barbaric.

I don't want wine: I just want a power jack and enough room to open my laptop without the lid getting crushed every time the guy in front of me reclines back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ynglaur posted:

I don't want wine: I just want a power jack and enough room to open my laptop without the lid getting crushed every time the guy in front of me reclines back.

Power jack is going to vary by aircraft. United seatmaps will tell you which seats have power.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/connectivity/default.aspx

United's Economy Plus should give you 3-4 more inches of space. Not sure if that would be sufficient for you. Although if you're planning to participate on Lync calls, I hope the guy reclines and crushes your laptop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 1, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Power jack is going to vary by aircraft. United seatmaps will tell you which seats have power.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/connectivity/default.aspx

United's Economy Plus should give you 3-4 more inches of space. Not sure if that would be sufficient for you. Although if you're planning to participate on Lync calls, I hope the guy reclines and crushes your laptop.

I was very clear that I've only ever listened. :colbert: I ended up doing business class for a single 14-hour leg. it even gets me in the night before, so I don't walk off a round-the-world trip into a meeting before having a chance to shave and take a nap.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

UA bizFirst has got you covered. I was only speaking of the differences between biz and global first.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

A power jack and not crushing your laptop is probably setting the bar just right for UA's businessFirst product. One might be pleased with it if thats all your expectations are for a +5k fare.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

Suit yourself but Seatguru is full of misinformation.

I used to use seatguru anytime I got on a new aircraft but the past year or so I have noticed lots of innacuracies. I don't know who decides whether to mark seats as green/yellow/red/standard but they aren't remotely consistent.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

They are terrible and when it comes to knowing which side of the bird has cutouts on the bulkhead, forget it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
For the first time in 6 years I've gotten a flight cancelled on me where I wasn't able to be immediately put on an alternate flight. Spending a fun-filled night in EWR, then straight off to SFO instead of home for the weekend. Dammit United.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

DJCobol posted:

For the first time in 6 years I've gotten a flight cancelled on me where I wasn't able to be immediately put on an alternate flight. Spending a fun-filled night in EWR, then straight off to SFO instead of home for the weekend. Dammit United.

:(

The only reason I like flying in and out of EWR is because I have family in Hudson Co. so when this inevitably happens I can hang out with them

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I was lucky enough that from when I started traveling for work in 2009 until earlier this year, I'd never managed to be stranded overnight. EWR was my first this April, then I managed to follow that within three months with one at ORD and one at MCO.

At least two of the three were on the way home so I didn't miss anything on my itinerary, but I guess this just isn't my year.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I was just stranded for the first time too. Drove from Philly area to EWR because the flight was about $800 cheaper to go EWR to PHL to SLC versus the direct flight out of PHL. Flight got cancelled in PHL and no flight to SLC until the next day at 615 pm so I rented a car in PHL and drove back to my apartment for the night. All in all it wasn't that bad but the whole thing was a pain in the neck.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

DJCobol posted:

Ouch, sorry. If it helps I just booked myself to work over labor day weekend in Missouri. Wee. : (

I've been remarkably lucky with cancellations. In the last 8 years I've been stranded a few times but it didn't hurt me or anything except one time in SAN, wx issues delayed and I would miss my connect home so instead of getting a bleary eyed hotel in SFO at midnight I got one at 9 in San but they couldn't pull my bag so I had to do it in the same clothes I had been wearing since 8am the previous day and without my toiletry bag. My bath products keep me from feeling like an animal. Go ahead and laugh.

Travel tip: Sanitary hand wipes are good for getting pit odor out of a shirt. And the Double Tree in San Diego is a bunch of crap... whoever heard of a DT a suite without robes. INDEED! :-P

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Ouch, sorry. If it helps I just booked myself to work over labor day weekend in Missouri. Wee. : (

I've been remarkably lucky with cancellations. In the last 8 years I've been stranded a few times but it didn't hurt me or anything except one time in SAN, wx issues delayed and I would miss my connect home so instead of getting a bleary eyed hotel in SFO at midnight I got one at 9 in San but they couldn't pull my bag so I had to do it in the same clothes I had been wearing since 8am the previous day and without my toiletry bag. My bath products keep me from feeling like an animal. Go ahead and laugh.

Travel tip: Sanitary hand wipes are good for getting pit odor out of a shirt. And the Double Tree in San Diego is a bunch of crap... whoever heard of a DT a suite without robes. INDEED! :-P

Travel Tip: Showering and deodorant are also good for not getting pit odor in the first place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I always put my toiletry bag and at least 1 clean pants and shirt, 2 pairs of socks, and 2 sets of underwear in my carryon for exactly that reason.

It's also good if some dude next to you barfs and you get hit by the spray, or you rear end explodes and you can't get to the lav in time. In either case it's really nice not to have to sit in filth-soaked clothes for 10+ hours.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Belldandy posted:

Travel Tip: Showering and deodorant are also good for not getting pit odor in the first place.
Ouch dude.

It was a long day, some in the San Diego sun. I'm a clean person. And I should have been home before stink.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Aristotle Animes posted:

Seriously, they make those little packs of baby wipes, I never leave home without them.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hotels have everything you need toiletry wise except I guess face wash, a good razor, and mini spray bottles of febreeze. None if which would really break anyone if it went missing for a day.

But I never check a bag on biz trips so it's all in a carryon anyways.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I got the care kit from UA which had deodorant and such. I hate hotel crap tho. I'm confessing right now, I love aveda stuff and must check a bag because of liquids unless I can plan it where I ship my toiletries to the hotel/job with my tools. But a lot of the time the tools get checked as well. I'm mindful of my transit times in airports and try to keep it north of an hour because the bag loss goes way down after that as does the missed connections.

I also travel with scented oils to put on washcloths and stuff into the AC to make the room smell nice. It relaxes me. I have a fairly manly job but I travel like a total fag. Like I said, go ahead and laugh, i certainly do. But I work long hours on the road and I like peace and comfort in my room which translates to sanity. :-X

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

I also travel with scented oils to put on washcloths and stuff into the AC to make the room smell nice. It relaxes me. I have a fairly manly job but I travel like a total fag. Like I said, go ahead and laugh, i certainly do. But I work long hours on the road and I like peace and comfort in my room which translates to sanity. :-X

So what you're saying is, I shouldn't feel bad about the incense I usually travel with? :v:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

So what you're saying is, I shouldn't feel bad about the incense I usually travel with? :v:

Please change your name to The Flying Baba

I work at a min 9hours, dine a customer which is more work then go back to my room and work for a couple more hours at least. In order to face that 2 or 3 hours of support/emailing and project/team managing crap I like the room to smell of eucalyptus.

I'm thinking of purchasing a bose soundlink because i like tunes in the room and computer speakers isn't as nice as bose. More gear to travel with but I already carry a ton with tools and waders and boots and gym shoes anyhow. What the christ, right?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

Do you take your shoes off and make little fists in the carpet with your toes too?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I ship carpet to the hotel and lay new flooring in my room.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Belldandy posted:

When you're a goon and you have to wear the same clothes two days in a row sometimes it still becomes an issue.

A lot of times I'll actually toss a single use thing of woolite in my carry on to allow for some emergency sink laundry in case of a cancelled flight or if I just end up running short during a trip. Though of course when I ended up overnight in Atlanta last month I had forgotten to include that in my carry on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

I also travel with scented oils to put on washcloths and stuff into the AC to make the room smell nice. It relaxes me.

This makes me want to travel with one of those febreeze things you put in a car vent, but use it for the hotel AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Midjack posted:

It's also good if some dude next to you barfs and you get hit by the spray, or you rear end explodes and you can't get to the lav in time. In either case it's really nice not to have to sit in filth-soaked clothes for 10+ hours.

All of a sudden, this past week's frustrations at work don't seem so bad.