Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

To the NEW MARIANS and the ADVENTURE MERCHANTS

Discord currently reigns. Should the Monternos remain leaderless, would you be amenable to working with us in a Supercoalition to maintain stability? Our parties would remain legislatively indepdendent for all other intents and purposes.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Assimilation is a dangerous approach. For now you ask that we be Roman, but tomorrow that stops being enough. Then we have to be the right kind of Roman, with the right ideas and the right faith. You may say that you only ask for is simple, but I know how this story ends. Accommodation, and tolerance is the best plan.

The Western Empire fell when it abandoned its cultural unity and allowed itself to become a patchwork of squabbling tribes. You would put us on the same path in the pursuit of "tolerance."

We do not seek to convert the heathen, nor to become some sort of "thought police." We seek a Empire united in the idea that anyone can become Roman, that anyone can take their culture, their experiences, their hopes and their dreams, and add them to a grand tapestry. A tapestry first started millenia ago, but one that persists to this very day. A tapestry encompassing the deeds of Augustus, of Trajan and Hadrian, of Alexios, of Basiliske, of all the luminaries who fill our history tomes and inspire us even today.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

##Join Discordians

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hey Funky Valentine, is there any way I can get in touch with you?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Are the Monternos really so disorganised that no-one even bothers to step up when Hira's term is finished?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

YF-23 posted:

Are the Monternos really so disorganised that no-one even bothers to step up when Hira's term is finished?

They have't quite figured out how to read the magnetic divination set they just got from the Ming. It's from Ming, so you know it has to be advanced and correct!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

My path in the modern-day Cursus Honorum of public service is far too short for me to contemplate leadership at this time. I ask of my noble brothers, will the one amongst you with the most foresight to lead us, and Rome, step forward?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
One imagines they are waiting for the next tech level up, when they can upgrade to a more advanced form of Political Party. Perhaps some sort of Administrative Party, or Enlightened Despotic Party.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

##Join New Marians

The security and expansion of the Empire is paramount, and I hope that the Monternos-Marian coalition will survive to serve as the leaders of the Roman restoration.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Alexandros Chronis, first of his name
Seeing as our glorious leader has stepped down I put myself up for ##PartyLeadership.
Our party needs a leader to fill the void that Hira left and I promise that I will do my best to advance the Monternos Party agenda.
Add me on skype as renomonty

mcclay fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 2, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mcclay posted:

Seeing as our glorious leader has stepped down I put myself up for ##PartyLeadership.
Our party needs a leader to fill the void that Hira left and I promise that I will do my best to advance the Monternos Party agenda.

May you find success in your new position. To the Monternos I now also extend the idea of the Coalition for Roman (Imperial?) Stability. While we all may differ in certain tenets, I believe no man here (outside of the Discordians) wishes to see all we have worked for come to naught.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

mcclay posted:

Well finally, some initiative. Anyone else wanna step up to the plate? 'cause if not 'm gonna ask we get on with this and accept Alexandros Chronis as leader.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##Join the Adventurer Merchants.

Alright boys, to riches we go!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

##Re-joining the Adventurer Merchants

For the glory of Rome and hot foreign women.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Jag family is one of the oldest and proudest lines to sit in the new Roman Senate. Though we have never directly led any faction, we have a history of pushing agendas on the floor of this Congress that have helped to progress Rome to the point it is today. Today we offer to claim ##Party Leadership of Monternos.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Perhaps the various leadership candidates could give a short speech as to their platforms should they assume leadership?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

sniper4625 posted:

Perhaps the various leadership candidates could give a short speech as to their platforms should they assume leadership?

I agree with this motion. I will begin writing my speech immediately.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

To anyone questioning my agenda should I become the leader of Monternos, I refer back to my recent speech before the Senate regarding the Eastern Question.

JT Jag posted:

For many long hours I pondered this question the Empress has put to us. Whether to Sinicize or not?

I am a member of Monternos. We are concerned with the technological progress and well-being of the Empire. To sinicize would grant us a great opportunity: A shortcut to technological parity with the strongest nations of the world. Some in this august body claim that to sinicize would be a total abandonment of Roman values and I might dispute that. The Empire was not born fully formed, as Pallas Athena supposedly was, springing forth from the womb of the world as she did from her father's forehead. No, it grew over time, and much of its might was based on the fact that it was willing to accept technological and cultural advances rather than clinging to the status quo. Perhaps to sinicize is the next step in that evolution of our great Empire, claiming systems that have been proven to work elsewhere and incorporating them here.

And yet... I look upon Rome now, and I don't see an Empire stuck in a technological quagmire. Our Rome is not regressive, or backwards. Our Rome is making bold steps forward on its own. I am foremost concerned with the technological progress of the Empire... but I don't see an Empire that needs to progress through sinicizing. There would be some peripheral advantages to making the changes, but I fear the sacrifices we may make to what make us Rome may be too much. And I enjoy the direction Rome is going.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, fellow Senators. Lend me your ears. I plead with you to vote with your heart on this. My mind considers the advantages Rome may gain from sinicizing. But my heart cries out to me that, at this point, the sacrifice is not worth it. ##vote b
Should I be leader of Monternos, I would strive to adhere to the core value of the party: improving the strength of Rome through innovation. However, consider that sentence. I would seek to increase the strength of Rome. If an opportunity came up that could potentially compromise the core governmental and cultural values of the Empire in exchange for a shortcut in technological advancement, it would attract extra scrutiny before receiving Monternos support.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

sniper4625 posted:

Discord currently reigns. Should the Monternos remain leaderless, would you be amenable to working with us in a Supercoalition to maintain stability? Our parties would remain legislatively indepdendent for all other intents and purposes.

I'm no leader, but for what it's worth in theory I'd support a coalition in order to keep the Empire from Discord. For one, it'd be bad for trade and exploration to have to fight off ourselves.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Friends, Romans, Partymembers! Lend me your ears. For long has a party sought to bring a shining new future to the Empire. But we have looked to the wrong place. We sought to emulate the glory of Ming, to grab onto their coattails and pulls ourselves up to their place in the sun, but this was wrong. While yes, Ming deserves to be respected and even emulated we have forgotten what makes us Roman. We have forgotten Caesar, Constantine, Trajan, Valeria and Iouliana. We have forgotten our past and thus we are doomed to forever have the future be just out of reach. I say we look to our country, our culture, our traditions and from a distinctly Roman future. The East shines brightly but it is a fake light, like the Willow-o-wisps of the shattered Isles it seeks to lead us to death and destruction. I say we turn to ourselves and forge a new path, a mixture of both the East and the West. We will progress, yes, but it will be at our own pace, a distinctively Roman progress. Under my guiding hand the Monternos will lead this progress and push against both the East and the West, crushing the usurpers in Da Qin and taking measures to defend ourselves against the French. We will spread both East and West, taking all cultures and religions into our protective folds. This what I say must happen, for if it does not we will fall into the stagnant waters of chaos and war that the Discordians wish to plunge us into. Now, think carefully on how you vote, members of our esteemed party.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I am glad that both candidates seem to be proper Romans, not mad Mingophiles like their estwhile predecessor. I am sure that the new leadership of the Monternos Party will play a critical role in helping guide our Empire down the path of modernization, without losing sight of our roots.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I recognise the esteemed Senator Jag and acknowledge his outlook on the success of Rome through innovation. While we may have disagreed on the Sinicization Question, I believe he is the right man for the leadership of this party.

##Nominate JT Jag

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

##Join the Neo-Milvians, as part of the Ecclesiastical Movement.

Our Good Christian natures allowing for tolerance and humanism is fine, but we are the protectors of the Patriarchy, and should act as such, especially in times of great strife such as these.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Maryum Osman
## Join Monternos
While I see Alexandros Chronis as a fine an noble man I disagree with his assertion that he should lead the party. I feel that this party needs leadership which will be able to push for what is best for our empire, what will make our empire last for another two thousand years. To last this long we must adapt to the ways of the Ming who's civilization is one of even greater antiquity than ours. We have already taken advantage of their civil service and forming our own. I wish to announce my running for##PartyLeadership.

With my nomination I would like to propose three policies I would attempt to pass into law.

1. Since sinization is not on the table for discussion for now. I would propose we seek innovative ideas.
2. Even though the Douxes have been declawed, rebellion is still a possibility. We must use our administrative resources to have high stability.
3. Seek an alliance with one of the Ming frontier states.

Our empire has changed much since its founding. I myself am descended from a tribe of Turkish bandits who only a few hundred years ago would have not been welcome to the empire. The empire has changed, the empire is changing, the empire will change. We must accept this or disaster will fall upon us.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

LordGugs posted:

Maryum Osman
## Join Monternos
While I see Alexandros Chronis as a fine an noble man I disagree with his assertion that he should lead the party. I feel that this party needs leadership which will be able to push for what is best for our empire, what will make our empire last for another two thousand years. To last this long we must adapt to the ways of the Ming who's civilization is one of even greater antiquity than ours. We have already taken advantage of their civil service and forming our own. I wish to announce my running for##PartyLeadership.

With my nomination I would like to propose three policies I would attempt to pass into law.

1. Since sinization is not on the table for discussion for now. I would propose we seek innovative ideas.
2. Even though the Douxes have been declawed, rebellion is still a possibility. We must use our administrative resources to have high stability.

Our empire has changed much since its founding. I myself am descended from a tribe of Turkish bandits who only a few hundred years ago would have not been welcome to the empire. The empire has changed, the empire is changing, the empire will change. We must accept this or disaster will fall upon us.

The Empire has rejected your the fetishization of the East, and you would go beyond to seek to embrace those who would plant a dagger in our backs? Hmph.

I agree the Empire will change, but it will be on our terms, not Ming's!

Also aren't the Ming themselves only 200 years old or so? To "adapt to their ways" would doom us to cyclical revolutions every other century. Hardly a foundation for stability.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 2, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

##Join the Neo-Milvians, as part of the Ecclesiastical Movement.

Our Good Christian natures allowing for tolerance and humanism is fine, but we are the protectors of the Patriarchy, and should act as such, especially in times of great strife such as these.

Welcome to the party, brother, may the Church grow ever stronger with our support. As always, I recommend joining us on skype if you can. Skype name yfxxiii.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Senator Jag, considering our similar campaign platforms and goals I was hoping you could join me in some talks. My Skype is renomonty, or Charles. Not sure which is the one that will show up
We should consider something that might benefit us and the Monternos party as a whole.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

In recognition of his superior leadership qualities and his family's years of service in this Senate, I vote in favor of recognizing senator Jag as leader of the Monternos party. May he lead us forward as we lend guidance and prudent advice to our glorious Empress and her empire.
##Nominate JT Jag

Clayren fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

sniper4625 posted:

Hmmmmm...I am of the mind that my crew (Merchants et al) shall remain independent of any so-called "supercoalition." We have our own agendas to forward.

This does not rule out cooperation in the future (perhaps when you root out the...unsavory parts of your ideology), but as it stands, THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTS AND PALStm shall stand on their own. Contact may be established via PM.

---------------

Ah, and now I'd like to outline my plan for leadership shuffling:

- The Adventurer Merchants main party shall rule for the first senate session
- Coalition leadership then moves to Fraternalists next session, then Mongols and Merchants, then Roman Enotita, and then Craftsman's League. Repeat until Vicky 2.
- Coalition leaders may pass the buck to the next party in the order if they feel they cannot fully commit to the senate session.

Also maybe we could get a Google Doc or something.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

LordGugs posted:

Maryum Osman
## Join Monternos

It is clear to me that Maryum Osman is the most qualified senator to pursue the Monternos Party's vision for our Roman future, and she shall have my support in her bid for leadership.
##Nominate LordGugs

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Funky Valentine posted:

Hmmmmm...I am of the mind that my crew (Merchants et al) shall remain independent of any so-called "supercoalition." We have our own agendas to forward.

This does not rule out cooperation in the future (perhaps when you root out the...unsavory parts of your ideology), but as it stands, THE ADVENTURER MERCHANTS AND PALStm shall stand on their own. Contact may be established via PM.

---------------

Ah, and now I'd like to outline my plan for leadership shuffling:

- The Adventurer Merchants main party shall rule for the first senate session
- Coalition leadership then moves to Fraternalists next session, then Mongols and Merchants, then Roman Enotita, and then Craftsman's League. Repeat until Vicky 2.
- Coalition leaders may pass the buck to the next party in the order if they feel they cannot fully commit to the senate session.

Also maybe we could get a Google Doc or something.

quote:

Funky Valentine has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Unless your agenda is "pro-chaos", I don't see what the objection is to the Supercoalition - it would purely be to oppose the currently dominant Discordians, with the parties remaining entirely independent for all other intents and purposes. I don't know how that would work out with the legislative mechanics, but I'm sure we could work with Rince should enough people sign on.

Still, your choice. We'll keep trying to build an anti-chaos coalition with anyone willing to work with us.

Edit: Oh yeah, what "unsavory" parts do you refer to? We have broken off from the racist, bigoted Unitas of the past, but we stand by our current principles, none of which we believe to be necessarily offensive. Unless you're a Mingophile, or a pacifist Inclusionist, I guess.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 2, 2014

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Due to our similar platforms and goals Senator Jag and I have decided to ##Run as Joint Candidates.
A vote for either of us is a vote for both. We will lead the Empire into a Roman future.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I hereby co-sign the last statement, affirming our intention to ##Run as Joint Candidates.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

You call yourselves innovators, looking to the East for answers, and yet here we have what appears to be a throwback to the consular tradition. I am (pleasantly?) surprised, and also certain this won't create any complications whatsoever.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
## Join Monternos

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
How much cooperation takes place within a coalition is entirely up to its participants. It can be anything from a unified group pursuing a detailed joint agenda to a simple agreement to caucus together to keep another party (or the discordians) out of power.

The exact number of bills a coalition will be able to enact will be determined on a case by case basis, since a grand coalition between the largest parties against a rising tide of Discordian pressure would look very different from two medium parties teaming up to block one that's larger but has fewer allies, so I can't really think of a good rule of thumb. Slots will be assigned to parties, not to the coalition as a whole, although if the leaders agree they can transfer slots among their partners.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

sniper4625 posted:

Unless your agenda is "pro-chaos", I don't see what the objection is to the Supercoalition - it would purely be to oppose the currently dominant Discordians, with the parties remaining entirely independent for all other intents and purposes. I don't know how that would work out with the legislative mechanics, but I'm sure we could work with Rince should enough people sign on.

Still, your choice. We'll keep trying to build an anti-chaos coalition with anyone willing to work with us.

See, our thing is we don't care who's in charge so long as they let us adventure, merchant-ize, and explore strange new lands in relative peace. Also that they develop better boats, but really, who doesn't want better boats?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Pyroi posted:

See, our thing is we don't care who's in charge so long as they let us adventure, merchant-ize, and explore strange new lands in relative peace. Also that they develop better boats, but really, who doesn't want better boats?

If the country burns, who exactly will be buying your goods? Who will be sponsoring your adventures? Periods of chaos are hardly good times to invest. I guess you'll be able to explore in peace, but at home things will be less satisfactory.

Is this the official position of the Merchant Adventurers?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 2, 2014

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Upon further reflection it appears that I forgot to declare myself for my party. ##Join Monternos

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

I think we'll stick to working together with the Monternos faction.
I do think a dangerous amount of discordians, or as I like to call them "Douxes in the senate, with no idea what they're doing" warrants concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Samuel posted:

I think we'll stick to working together with the Monternos faction.
I do think a dangerous amount of discordians, or as I like to call them "Douxes in the senate, with no idea what they're doing" warrants concern.

Out of curiosity, what is your hesitation about a grand coalition to maintain stability in the Empire? The Monternos are yet embroiled in a succession struggle (though they seem on track to resolve it), and this is a very pressing matter indeed.

• Locked thread