Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Eruonen posted:

So basically, is that game alone worth 9+ bucks?

gently caress no, or very yes, depending on your spergin level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eruonen posted:

I've been looking at the Last Remnant for a while. Is it worth beating the average for? I have all the other games I'm interested in from the bundle. So basically, is that game alone worth 9+ bucks?

Not enough not to wait until the next time its $3.75 on Steam.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Not enough not to wait until the next time its $3.75 on Steam.

Ah, you're absolutely right. Thanks!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just want to say that Strike Vector is one of the coolest games I've played in a while. It scratches a lot of gaming itches I've had in the last few years. It's a fast-paced dog-fighter with a lot of polish. It seems to update semi-regularly with new content. The servers are usually pretty empty, but there are always at least one or two full groups. I would say do the first 6 or 7 training missions and then jump straight into multiplayer.

It's like if that BSG mod for Freespace 2 was made today with a pretty decent budget and focused on COD like MP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwA0FwrSN4s

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 2, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Could you possibly have picked a video with a less pleasing thumbnail

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Please don't make fun of me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Eruonen posted:

I've been looking at the Last Remnant for a while. Is it worth beating the average for? I have all the other games I'm interested in from the bundle. So basically, is that game alone worth 9+ bucks?

Last Remnant regularly goes on sale for 3 bucks. It's a fun as gently caress jrpg though. Really good game of its type.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Speaking of JRPGs, I just picked up Trails in the Sky and it's really good. There's nothing overly amazing or groundbreaking about it, but it's a well-made turn-based JRPG with a lot of heart. It was also released on PCs first, so the keyboard and mouse controls work rather well.

Ed: Also the music is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bGsXVmEfo

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 2, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of JRPGs, I just picked up Trails in the Sky and it's really good. There's nothing overly amazing or groundbreaking about it, but it's a well-made turn-based JRPG with a lot of heart. It was also released on PCs first, so the keyboard and mouse controls work rather well.

One of the draws(?) for Trails is to be able to go and talk to the npcs multiple times and they seem pretty reationary to where you are in teh story. Their comments get updated and stuff, so you don't end up having all these people only ever saying one thing over and over and over forever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lance Streetman posted:

PCs first? It's been on PSP for years.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Accordion Man posted:

If you haven't played it I'd recommend Dead Rising 2/ Dead Rising 2: Off the Record if you want some silly zombie killing. It has some bullshit like bosses with wonky hitboxes but its still pretty accessible and overall a fun game. DR2 Off the Record even has a sandbox mode if the whole time limit aspect of the series puts you off. (The time mechanic isn't really bad though, I usually hate it in games, but DR2 gives you enough time.)

Thanks, noted. I'll try some more DI and see if it gets any better.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

GreenNight posted:

It was on PC before the PSP.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

GreenNight posted:

The PSP port didn't happen until 2006. The PC version of the game came out in 2004, but we only just got it over here a few days ago.

Drifter posted:

One of the draws(?) for Trails is to be able to go and talk to the npcs multiple times and they seem pretty reationary to where you are in teh story. Their comments get updated and stuff, so you don't end up having all these people only ever saying one thing over and over and over forever.

To clarify this, every single NPC in the game (as far as I know) will get new dialogue every time a story beat happens. And I do mean every time.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Also, nearly every chest has a unique description when you check it the second time. And they're all amazing.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

It's great, but very buggy still.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yo can I sell games I have leftover from the steam sale here?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Christoff posted:

yo can I sell games I have leftover from the steam sale here?

You're looking for either SA mart or the trading thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Techland's newest coin toss Hellraid streaming in 25 minutes on Twitch.

I have no idea how that game is going to turn out but Techland is due for a good game I think.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Eruonen posted:

It's great, but very buggy still.

They've fixed most of the worst bugs already and are hard at work on the others. I don't think it's a stretch to say the game will probably be bug-free and totally stable soon enough. It's worth picking up now while it's on sale.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

djw175 posted:

Also, nearly every chest has a unique description when you check it the second time. And they're all amazing.

Seconding this. A lot of them are fairly amusing.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Which of the many Worms games is the most fun for local co-op? Would prefer controller support so we can couch it.

edit: Open to suggestions for similar local co-op type games

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Orv posted:

Techland's newest coin toss Hellraid streaming in 25 minutes on Twitch.

I have no idea how that game is going to turn out but Techland is due for a good game I think.
gunslinger came out last year

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

techland is a developer with tons of potential but all their releases are always either fantastic (gunslinger/bound in blood) or half baked decent ideas that turned out lovely (the cartel/dead island)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that was last year wasn't. Hellraid is their off-year then. :smith:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Drifter posted:

It kind of reminds me of the Grandia games in that sense. It's worth playing because it takes you back to a time where JRPGs were about fun exploration with the environment and NPCs and not grimdark anime nonsense or little girls who are really 4000 years old etc that a lot of modern JRPGs have fallen victim to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Yeah that was last year wasn't. Hellraid is their off-year then. :smith:

Guess that confirms Dying Light will be ok.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Guess that confirms Dying Light will be ok.

Stream seems to confirm that.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

They've fixed most of the worst bugs already and are hard at work on the others. I don't think it's a stretch to say the game will probably be bug-free and totally stable soon enough. It's worth picking up now while it's on sale.

There are still a LOT of serious issues like regular crashes to desktop. Just look at the forums. It's a very fun game once you finally get it working with some workarounds and fixes (I still can't watch videos and have to open them from the installation directory. Luckily there are very few videos), but I'd honestly recommend people wait a couple patches to see if these issues will actually be fixed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crypt of the Necrodancer looks AAA+ incredible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It pretty much is. You attack and move with the rhythm. When you die, you bring your loot back to the game lobby to buy upgrades and stuff, then you go back in the game to mash more monsters.

If only I'd remember to dodge that drat dragon on 3.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my only problem with it so far is lack of video options. you pick windowed or full screen but there's no resolution or vsync or anything.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Eruonen posted:

There are still a LOT of serious issues like regular crashes to desktop. Just look at the forums. It's a very fun game once you finally get it working with some workarounds and fixes (I still can't watch videos and have to open them from the installation directory. Luckily there are very few videos), but I'd honestly recommend people wait a couple patches to see if these issues will actually be fixed.

I'm quite sure they will be fixed. The game's been receiving regular patches every day or so, and they've all helped improve things. For what it's worth, after the second or third patch, I haven't had a single issue. No crashes or anything. From what I've seen there's a few small lingering issues (I think there's a chest somewhere that causes a lock if you search it after it's been emptied), but most people have had a problem-free experience after the last few patches.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Acquire Currency! posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer looks AAA+ incredible.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it, then I thought I'd "try it out" for maybe 20 minutes or so. I wound up playing for an hour and a half, just re-starting and re-starting and re-starting, never getting much further than the second level of the first zone. I reached the Zombie Disco exactly one time...

...only I activated a little something called the Shrine of Risk on the previous floor which will damage you for missing a beat. I had about one heart left. And after two steps I missed a beat. :doh:

But I'm having a blast with it. It really reminds me of Spelunky in the best way, it's like a light rogue-ish-like with a ton of replayability. It's simplistic, it's stylish, and surprisingly deeper than you think it is at first.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'll make it easier for others to read and confirm it is a roguelike that has character upgrades for added replayability.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Actually the upgrades are only for the single zone playthroughs, they do not apply for hardcore mode or the daily challenge.

King Vidiot posted:

...only I activated a little something called the Shrine of Risk on the previous floor which will damage you for missing a beat. I had about one heart left. And after two steps I missed a beat. :doh:

Shrine of Risk hurts you for half a heart every level, Shrine of Rythmn removes every 8th beat and outright kills you if you miss one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I've been craving a WW2 MP game since I'm a bit sick of modern-military not-iraq/russia games. I just tried this game called Heroes & Generals and holy poo poo this must be the most Pay 2 Win game I've ever had the displeasure of trying. Stay far far away unless you're loaded with money and don't mind dropping $100 on stuff to completely dominate everyone else even if you suck. Literally everything is locked behind gold (which you get 1-2 per game and each round is about 30 minutes, most things cost ~1k Gold ($10) to unlock except some things which can be paid using Credits) and those people that just pay $10 - $20 for a plane/tank will dominant everyone that's running around with shity starter guns (and the starter guns are really loving bad). Sidegrades are a foreign concept :psyduck:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 3, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

I've been craving a WW2 MP game since I'm a bit sick of modern-military not-iraq/russia games. I just tried this game called Heroes & Generals and holy poo poo this must be the most Pay 2 Win game I've ever had the displeasure of trying. Stay far far away unless you're loaded with money and don't mind dropping $100 on stuff to completely dominate everyone else even if you suck. Literally everything is locked behind gold (which you get 1-2 per game and each round is about 30 minutes, most things cost ~1k Gold ($10) to unlock except some things which can be paid using Credits) and those people that just pay $10 - $20 for a plane/tank will dominant everyone that's running around with shity starter guns (and the starter guns are really loving bad). Sidegrades are a foreign concept :psyduck:

The starter guns are perfectly functional, credits can purchase everything in the game that makes a meaningful impact and you get considerably more than 1-2 credits a game. It's still got some real problems as a game, but you're pretty seriously misrepresenting it here.

Just play RO anyway.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

The starter guns are perfectly functional, credits can purchase everything in the game that makes a meaningful impact and you get considerably more than 1-2 credits a game. It's still got some real problems as a game, but you're pretty seriously misrepresenting it here.

Just play RO anyway.

I was referring to Gold which is about 1-2 from what I can tell. Also I might be missing something but I can't buy everything with Credits. i.e. Here is the first medium tank. And to unlock "Medium Armor 5" which is the alternate way to unlock this, you need to have already owned a Medium Armor tank which... you have to buy. Unless I'm missing something.

Then there is this whole "veteran" thing that you buy for ~$13/month that lets you slot a second Perk Slot which aren't trivial (i.e. +40% reload, Less Dorito Triangle time above you, No Kill Cam for players you kill, +25% damage to vehicles, +75% hip fire accuracy, etc).

Oh well. I really hope there's the CS:GO equivalent of DOD in the works.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 3, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Xaris posted:

I've been craving a WW2 MP game since I'm a bit sick of modern-military not-iraq/russia games. I just tried this game called Heroes & Generals and holy poo poo this must be the most Pay 2 Win game I've ever had the displeasure of trying. Literally everything is locked behind gold (which you get 1-2 per game and each round is about 30 minutes, most things cost ~1k Gold ($10) to unlock except some things which can be paid using Credits) and those people that just pay $10 - $20 for a plane/tank will dominant everyone that's running around with shity starter guns (and the starter guns are really loving bad). Sidegrades are a foreign concept :psyduck:
The most direct Pay-2-Win thing is the infantry weapons, mostly coming from the SMG weapons like the MP40/Thompson since they're just straight more accurate/more ammo versions of the first tier of SMGs MP34/M3 (Which you can still easier rack up kills with. Whack on the Fire Rate attachment on the MP34 :getin: ).
The starter semi-auto rifle is nuts if you're a good shot at medium range.
The dedicated infantry AT launcher is shitballs expensive (Both credits and gold) to stop every player but of course that doesn't stop some people.
Paying for a Heavy Tank isn't an instant Win Button itself, they only get to use that Heavy Tank in a battle if it has a Heavy Tank battalion. The worst/hardest part is the counter, your force might not have a Heavy or Anti Tanks for your match *Insert something about the Generals part of the game about this*
Also the dedicated infantry AT thing as well.

Xaris posted:

I was referring to Gold which is about 1-2 from what I can tell. Also I might be missing something but I can't buy everything with Credits. i.e. Here is the first medium tank. And to unlock "Medium Armor 5" which is the alternate way to unlock this, you need to have already owned a Medium Armor tank which... you have to buy. Unless I'm missing something.
Yes. You unlock the first Medium Tank by progressing through the Light Tank tier. You only unlock the Light Tank by becoming a Tank Crew. Same with the Heavy Tank, you can unlock them by levelling out the Medium Tank tier.
Of course you can just pay for them but then you don't have a Light or Medium tank.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like Artifex's games, but they really need to find another female voice actor for their leads.

• Locked thread