Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bah, as soon as I get the Sorcerer and Pyromancy achievements - which'll net me Darkest Soul - I'm restarting and going with a hybrid character (Deprived start, raise each stat by one point in turn so they're all equal) in the Covenant of Champions. At SL 180 my Blue Flame dual wielder is just too powerful and I don't feel like I'm using all the tools at my disposal, which is a bit of a shame. I'd simply respec to a hybrid with her but that'd be cheating, given the massive advantage in gear, etc, I have now.

:darksoulproblems:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
wow that I don't get 2 sunlight medals for the Throne Guys -> Nashandra double fight.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

nohopeindope posted:

I just beat the game for the first time. What should I get done before going into NG+? Also, if I want to experiment with a melee build should I roll a new character or respec this one?

So far I've been mostly a hexer/sorcerer and really enjoyed it. I haven't gotten Crystal soul spear yet but I was considering saving that for NG+

Here's my current setup:
SL 165
VGR 15, END 16, VIT 5, ATN 50, STR 20, DEX 12, ADP 10, INT 62, FTH 32. Staff of Wisdom +5, Sunset Staff +3 (ran out of twinkling), Roaring Halbred +5, All lion mage stuff except black hood.

Also, any tips on starting a melee build would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Haven't killed Vendrick yet, is it worth it? Also, are there any boss weapons/shields I should get before I go to NG+?

Probably best to kill everything optional on NG rather than NG+. It's probably not worth it to kill Vendrick but if you play long enough you'll want to try his loot so might as well do it now.

I'd respec to physical myself rather than making a new character but it depends on how much you like starting new games I guess. 40/40 STR/DEX is pretty good. Or spec for whatever weapons you think look interesting. I think 50/25 or so will let you wield everything except the giant's club, aside from stuff with FTH/INT requirements. Either raise your vitality to the moon or bring it to 9 and wear Flynn's ring, depending on your preference. Shoot for at least 100 agility, which should be 25 or 26 ADP depending on your ATT.

Before NG+ upgrade everything you might ever possibly want to use since you can buy infinite titanite and stock up on extras just in case. Kill every crystal lizard, buy 999 arrows, repair powders, etc since it's awhile before you can get those again. I'd farm the dragon butts with heads to extinction in the DLC if you have it too, netted me about 20 dragon bones. Maybe do the same to Amana if you have a lot of twinkling stuff but probably that's not worth it, better to ascetic dragon aerie or something. Also make all your boss soul trades.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I found this really thorough ng wrapup post linked in one of the threads, just gonna' quote it here

quote:

-Maxed your estus at 12 chugs of +5. The game has 12 shards (so if you get them all you’ll have 1 spare) and 5 Sublime Bone Dusts (so no spares)
-Beaten all optional bosses. Vendrick, Royal Rat Authority, Ancient Dragon, Darklurker. And any bosses you might have skipped over.
-Gotten the King’s Soul and gear, available from the Shrine of Amana with Vendrick dead and only whilst human.
-Gotten all crystal lizards. There are tons of these in the Dragon Aerie. 1 in iron keep (near Belfy bonfire), 1 in the approach to drangleic castle, 1 just after the 2nd bonfire in brightstone cove, 1 in harvest valley (after the 4 scythe guys) , 1 in FoFG below the Cardinal Tower bonfire, 1 in No Man’s Wharf, 1 in Doors of Pharros. Some of these are a pain in the rear end though and crafting materials aren’t so rare in this game so you don’t need to sperg over them.
-Killed the 3 Heide Knights - one between the 1st and 2nd bonfires in FoFG, one in Lost Bastille in the section you access coming from No Man’s Wharf, one past the Shrine of Winter.
-Entered all 4 memories - 3 giant memories and also the dragon memory.
-Beaten the Pursuer rematch in Smelter Demon’s room. NG+ players going into NG++ also have a 2x Pursuer fight past Chancellor Wellager in Drangleic Castle.
-Done Navlaan’s quests to open him as a merchant.
-Freed Ornifex to unlock her as a blacksmith.
-Done the Pate/Creighton storyline to get the Engraved gauntlets.
-Gotten any crafting items you might want. Shards/L.Shards/Chunks can be bought infinitely in the endgame. Slabs drop from Stone Soldiers in Drangleic Castle. Petrified Dragon Bones drop from Dragon Acolytes in Aldia’s Keep. Twinkling Titanite drops from Archdrakes in Shrine of Amana. 3 fire seeds are available to buy from the pyro-trainer. Bonfire Ascetic on the Dragon Aerie to bring the lizards back may well be better option if you’ve got Ascetics to spare.
-Gotten whatever spells you might want to use. Many spell trainers only sell one copy of a spell, so if you’re planning to branch out into new magic it’s good to pick up key spells the cycle before (that way you get 2 copies instead of 1). Also the bellkeepers in Belfry Sol can drop Flame Swathe if you want more copies of that.
-Trade all items with Dyno and Tillo in TheThingsBetwixt.
-Craft any boss spells or boss weapons you might want. You don’t lose the souls going into NG+, but it’ll be a while before you open the merchants again.
-Consider using Ascetics to pick up useful items now. Examples include those crafted from old souls dropped by NG+ Lost Sinner/Freja/Rotten/OldIronKing, Blue Clearstone Ring+2 from NG+ Skeleton Lords, Cloranthy Ring+2 from NG+ Executioner’s Chariot, Southern Ritual Band+2 from NG+ Najka.
- Used the crushed eye orb against Licia
- Opened the 3 areas with the Forgotten Key from Black Gulch. 1) Dark shrine in Black Gulch, 2) Havel’s gear in The Gutter, 3) Witch gear in the Majula well.
- Gotten the items from the lava in Iron Keep – Human effigy, Bonfire Ascetic, Phoenix Parma, Fire Seed, Chaos Storm.
- Fully explored the Shrine of Amana for items – notably Helix Halberd, Homing Crystal Soul Mass, Sunlight Blade, Red Iron Twinblade, Manslayer, Singer’s Dress, Life Ring+2.
- Fully explored the Shaded Woods for items – notably Clear Bluestone Ring+1, Cloranthy Ring+1, Old Sun Ring.
- Opened the locked door in the 2nd cathedral in Tseldora (the spider infested one) – Black Knight Ultra Greatsword, Fire Seed, Greatfireball.
- Explored the bottom of the FoFG castle (either drop down or use the Iron Keep key). – notably Rebel’s Greatshield and the Hawk Ring.
-Used up any Fragrant Branches of Yore and the Key to the Embedded (these don’t carry over into NG+ so might as well use them, though you can have branches left over after doing everything you can with them)
- Most merchants give you an item if you spend enough money at their store and many NPCs give you items if your story progression is far enough. Basically exhaust dialogue with every NPC.
----- TwinklingTitanite given by Chloanne after spending enough.
----- TitaniteSlab given by McDuff after spending enough.
----- Boss armour sold by Maughlin. Upgrades his inventory if you spend enough. Also gives Aurous Armour if you have 0 souls and he has his upgraded inventory.
----- Red Rust equipment sold by Vengarl’s Head after beating Vengarl’s Body.
----- Espada Ropada and Royal Dirk given by Wellager after beating GiantLord.
----- Darkdrift given by Agadyne after beating Vendrick.
----- Divine Blessings given by Milfanito after freeing her sisters.
----- 6x Human Effigy given by Firekeeper after getting King’s Ring.
----- Drangleic Helm from Drummond after beating GiantLord.
-The merchant hag Melentia will sell most NPC’s armour after killing them. However killing NPCs accrues sin and it carries over into NG+ this time so bear that in mind.
-Checklist of rare/useful/interesting weapons&items that could be missed and that weren’t mentioned above.
---- Grand Lance in Orro’s Memory.
---- Avelyn in Undead Crypt.
---- Santier’s Spear in Doors of Pharros.
---- Staff of Wisdom in Dragon Shrine.
---- Hunter’s Blackbow in Drangleic Castle.
---- Dark Pyromancy Flame in The Gutter.
---- Old Knight Pike in Harvest Valley.
---- Black Knight Halberd in Shaded Ruins.
---- Malformed Shell in Aldia’s Keep.
---- Drangleic Gear after Pursuer battle.
---- Great Lightning Spear in Undead Crypt.
---- Aged Feather given by Emerald Herald in Dragon Aerie, also drops when killed.
---- Binoculars in Majula.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dear Lords of the Souls, I request your help.

I've been slogging through this game bit by bit for the past month and I've just gotten past Velstadt. I've been playing through the entire game with a (now magic infused) mace and occasionally a bow because.......... I don't know really.

What do I do next after Velstadt and would you recommend any weaponry in particular? I started out as a swordsman but for some reason went strength instead of dex. I'm currently 44STR 20DEX with decent chunks gone into VGR, END and VIT at level 138.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 2, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If I want to pick up magic just for weapon buffing in PvP and I'm not using any weapon with built in nonphysical damage is there any reason to not go full utility with the Black Witch's Staff? Does anyone know what stats you need to make the various buffs last their max durations now?

88h88 posted:

Dear Lords of the Souls, I request your help.

I've been slogging through this game bit by bit for the past month and I've just gotten past Velstadt. I've been playing through the entire game with a (now magic infused) mace and occasionally a bow because.......... I don't know really.

What do I do next after Velstadt and would you recommend any weaponry in particular? I started out as a swordsman but for some reason went strength instead of dex. I'm currently 44STR 20DEX with decent chunks gone into VGR, END and VIT at level 138.

You could effectively use the Red Iron Twinblade with those stats, which is a very powerful and interesting weapon which is pretty drat different to that mace. It has high base damage so it's good for infusions, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you hit their natural requirements you get the 'full' duration. Extra stats increase the buff length, but not by a huge amount as far as I'm aware.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Calling it: Crown of the Old Iron King is going to involve loving around in a ruined Anor Londo and we'll be getting a lot of Dark Souls 1 equipment in it

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Calling it: Crown of the Old Iron King is going to involve loving around in a ruined Anor Londo and we'll be getting a lot of Dark Souls 1 equipment in it

I forget, but isn't the Iron King's kingdom one of the two bell-related kingdoms (Alken and Venn). If so it could be bell-related stuff.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I forget, but isn't the Iron King's kingdom one of the two bell-related kingdoms (Alken and Venn). If so it could be bell-related stuff.

Maybe? The Sol Bell is there but it's hard to tell if either Bell actually has anything to do with the kingdom currently there, or if they were just there and nobody wanted to gently caress with the gnome dolls to get rid of them. I like to think they've been there for centuries and every kingdom that pops up just considers them those weird assholes living in their basement/attic.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Genocyber posted:

It's one of, I'm pretty sure, and my only reasoning is that the Old Iron King has Gwyn's soul, but w/e

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm guessing the Old Iron King is the grown-up prince.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it explained how the Old King survived the Smelter's attack? I thought the latter is said to have outright destroyer the former when it first awoke.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it explained how the Old King survived the Smelter's attack? I thought the latter is said to have outright destroyer the former when it first awoke.

I think all the weapons tell the story of how he popped up from the mountain, hosed the king up, and then threw him down into the mountain where he was transformed into his current body.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Technically the Old Iron King in the game isn't the Old Iron King, it's a demon named Ichorous Earth formed from a demon and the king's souls merging.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's Diablo from the Diablo games

edit: Pre-Diablo 3 I mean. Current Diablo doesn't really look like him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah it's the Dragon God without the crossbows.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Old king is a balrog.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think I just killed someone twice with one backstab. That second chance spell is pretty funny.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Technically the Old Iron King in the game isn't the Old Iron King, it's a demon named Ichorous Earth formed from a demon and the king's souls merging.

Oh, that makes sense, haha.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The first time I went through the Iron Keep I was invaded by a "Smelter Demon" that wore a Smelter Set and set fire to its sword when its health was sufficiently low. He appeared right under my nose right as I was about to exit the room with the trap floors and the mimic guarded by two Ironclads on a destructible bridge.

Was that guy an NPC or a gimmick human invader? I (barely) survived the fight on my first attempt by kinda just panic-wailing on him in the very narrow space near the exit, and I can't find any references to this guy online.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

The first time I went through the Iron Keep I was invaded by a "Smelter Demon" that wore a Smelter Set and set fire to its sword when its health was sufficiently low. He appeared right under my nose right as I was about to exit the room with the trap floors and the mimic guarded by two Ironclads on a destructible bridge.

Was that guy an NPC or a gimmick human invader? I (barely) survived the fight on my first attempt by kinda just panic-wailing on him in the very narrow space near the exit, and I can't find any references to this guy online.

Gimmick. There's no NPC invaders in Iron Keep.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Some guys on 4chan started posting hex IDs for some incomplete spell data in the game (has no icon or description, but works if you replace another spell hex). One also started posting extra moves but there's too many of those to bother with, so I just offer you this:

http://a.pomf.se/fhdxyl.webm

Spells:
http://a.pomf.se/bqqvsd.webm
http://a.pomf.se/yhfvxa.webm
http://a.pomf.se/wzacak.webm (and vs mob http://a.pomf.se/fiilrp.webm )
http://a.pomf.se/pvonnr.webm
http://a.pomf.se/uyamml.webm
http://a.pomf.se/vqtnvs.webm

Unrelated but funny:
http://a.pomf.se/tcqpgm.webm

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I was sort of hoping nobody else would dig around the spell area. Hoo boy.

I think those are spells they plan to throw in for the next DLCs.

Mind PMing the list of extra moves? I did notice that the player-accessible movelist had notably expanded, but I was distracted by other things. I am on vacation from Dark Souls currently, but will take a look when I get back.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
http://a.pomf.se/lhxcnk.webm

my god

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Please FROM

Give it to me

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

I was sort of hoping nobody else would dig around the spell area. Hoo boy.

I think those are spells they plan to throw in for the next DLCs.

Mind PMing the list of extra moves? I did notice that the player-accessible movelist had notably expanded, but I was distracted by other things. I am on vacation from Dark Souls currently, but will take a look when I get back.

I don't have PM privileges but I don't have the values either :saddowns:, the person was only posting webms. A pastebin was posted with unimplemented weapon and item IDs on it so that may be connected - http://pastebin.com/StX3wi0H

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

This is the best one http://a.pomf.se/jythkt.webm

I wouldn't mind spin to win if that's how it worked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
24 more days until potential monk-fu, that sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hahaha that flop at the end.

Nailed it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Bah, as soon as I get the Sorcerer and Pyromancy achievements - which'll net me Darkest Soul - I'm restarting and going with a hybrid character (Deprived start, raise each stat by one point in turn so they're all equal) in the Covenant of Champions. At SL 180 my Blue Flame dual wielder is just too powerful and I don't feel like I'm using all the tools at my disposal, which is a bit of a shame. I'd simply respec to a hybrid with her but that'd be cheating, given the massive advantage in gear, etc, I have now.

:darksoulproblems:

What are you dual-wielding the Blue Flame with? I've got the fire longsword in a powerstance and I'm just not really amazed with the combo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What are you dual-wielding the Blue Flame with? I've got the fire longsword in a powerstance and I'm just not really amazed with the combo

Another blue flame, duh.

e:

Quoting from console thread

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 3, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Should I know that outfit?

Also, guess I'll have to make a custom fist moveset now.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Another blue flame, duh.

What? Why?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Because they look fly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Should I know that outfit?

Also, guess I'll have to make a custom fist moveset now.

Pretty sure it's Desert Sorceress leggings + a tex modded cheat piece of some sort (Llewellyn? I know I've seen it before).

You can buff each one with the other then powerstance. This makes them damaging and gives you access to powerstance moves+1handed moveset + spell casting.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 3, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Pretty sure it's Desert Sorceress leggings + a tex modded cheat piece of some sort (Llewellyn? I know I've seen it before).

Leydia Black robe (you're right about it being texture modded though)

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

This might be of interest to some people. These are parries all done with STR 30 DEX 40 and Ring of Blades +1 on the same target.

code:
1287 Dagger+9 
417 Royal Dirk, unupgraded
960 Bent Blade+2
1086 Bent Blade +4
846 Rapier +10
291 Drakewing Ultra, unupgraded
612 Myrrah Greatsword, +7
798 Espada Ropera +8
876 Scimitrar +10
825 Ricards +10
268 unupgraded spider silk
578 warped sword +2
I have never seen an actual "Crit Scaling" list for weapons, but here's a few numbers for whatever its worth.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Those pyromancies :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I have never seen an actual "Crit Scaling" list for weapons, but here's a few numbers for whatever its worth.

The issue with those numbers is that the individual animations have their own attack modifiers.

Like, daggers? They pretty much all have their own movesets if I recall right. They could very well have seemingly identical backstabs that have a number tweak.