Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alteisen posted:

So I got Zombie U, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, tense as gently caress a lot of the times.

I'm stuck though, they want me to scan 2 CCTV boxes, I found one in a basement and scanned it but I can't find the other, the little green dot thing just keeps leading me to the back entrance of the supermarket, but I go into the supermarket and the dot seemingly leads me outside again.

There's a second CCTV box near one of the safehouse exits in the Brick Lane area, is that the one you maybe need? There's an area where you come out of the underground and it's got quarantine tents set up and there's a bend in the road to the left if you keep going straight, it should be visible from there if that's the one I'm thinking of. There are some metal steps up towards it I think on a brick building, it shows up really well on the scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

noirstronaut posted:

Hey guys, given recent "advancements" as far as Wii U hacking goes, how long would you estimate it'll be until we get something that allows to play out-of-region games? I'm mostly asking because I want to play Taiko no tatsujin like it's nobody's business.

I wouldn't bank on it, due to the Wii U not having a completely retarded way of handling the OS and games like the Wii did Nintendo would patch anything like that quickly. If you didn't update your console then it could work, but Nintendo could restrict game updates and online access.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Plus console updates are automatic now, unless you disable your internet connection.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's so frustrating that the Wii U is region locked. There's a very real chance that I'm not going to be able to play the next Fatal Frame because of that.

And that just isn't right. :smith:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

greatn posted:

Plus console updates are automatic now, unless you disable your internet connection.

You just need to disable the standby updates in Settings.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I've always wondered what the point of region locking was anyway. The first time I was really aware if it was when DVDs first became popular.

I mean, I get that different companies get distribution rights in different countries. But how many people are going to go to the trouble and expense of importing a game/movie/controller/etc they can buy locally? If done right I'd think the importing data could be valuable market research. Meaning, if a game was unavailable, or had altered content in one region and a number of people imported that title because there was no region lock, those numbers would help tell the parent company market demand.

When thinking about the measures Nintendo went through to region lock games and controllers for the NES and SNES it makes me wonder who the hell in the 80s and 90s could have even imported this stuff? The Internet has made importing easy, but back then...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Even now the only people who would take the trouble to import Japanese Wii U games are Japanese speakers. Back in the day of the SNES there were at least some unique games that were worth importing from Japan but nowadays the lineups are pretty much the same. Maybe they are afraid of Europeans importing American games for dollar prices?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shibawanko posted:

Maybe they are afraid of Europeans importing American games for dollar prices?

Or afraid that Americans would import poo poo sold in Eastern Europe. All the former soviet nations have weak currency compared to USD and oftentimes English is offered as a language option on titles.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Alteisen posted:

So I got Zombie U, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, tense as gently caress a lot of the times.

I'm stuck though, they want me to scan 2 CCTV boxes, I found one in a basement and scanned it but I can't find the other, the little green dot thing just keeps leading me to the back entrance of the supermarket, but I go into the supermarket and the dot seemingly leads me outside again.

You're at the probably most boring part of the game and then its all awesome after that I envy your getting to experience it for the first time

Zombi U owns

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I finally downloaded and played the demo for Wonderful 101. Absolutely frustrating to play... until it "clicked". I absolutely understand why people do not like this game because of how it does not explain anything. I also understand why it's an amazing game once it does finally make sense. Can we expect Bayonetta 2 to be the same way?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I finally downloaded and played the demo for Wonderful 101. Absolutely frustrating to play... until it "clicked". I absolutely understand why people do not like this game because of how it does not explain anything. I also understand why it's an amazing game once it does finally make sense. Can we expect Bayonetta 2 to be the same way?
You just described every Platinum game ever.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Edit: I need to proofread my posts

Okami is the only platinum game that I found to be too easy to be truly enjoyable, they have an excellent track record for making a game just difficult enough.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 2, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

McFunkerson posted:

I've always wondered what the point of region locking was anyway.

Well, it looks like you do understand the point of it, judging from the second paragraph of your post. There's no justification for region locking that you didn't outline there.

Of course, you're also right in that region-locking serves little real purpose and is the product of mostly short-sighted business decisions. There are a handful of times when a publisher might actually want to limit a game's sales to a particular region (look up Atlus' press release explaining why they region locked Persona 4 Arena), but it's usually best to allow publishers to opt into region locking on a per-title basis. That's how it was done on the PS3, and the system seemed to work pretty well for publishers and consumers both.

But Nintendo. :downs:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Fremry posted:

Bayonetta is a lot easier to grasp the basics of compared to The Wonderful 101. It gets really deep and complex if you really get into it, but if you just want to fumble through you just need to know to use the punch and kick buttons to attack and press the dodge button when you see the enemy attacking. Part of the reason why the game was a huge success compared to most of Platinum's other games is because of how simple its basic mechanics are.

But if you want to really get into the game and enjoy everything it has to offer, there will be a "clicking" point for sure where you realize the importance of the more subtle mechanics (like dodge offset).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
It's really disappointing to find that there wont be anymore Okami games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inverness posted:

Capcom is going through some weird stuff atm. They canceled the hostile takeover buyout and nobody is sure what that could mean. But they still hold the Okami license but if they're going to start selling off their dormant franchises that remains to be seen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inverness posted:

I'm with you, man. I'd love to have Okami HD on the Wii U. :smith: Or better yet, a new Okami game!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If you're really craving Okami, you should just play Okami den. :dance:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

Or don't, because it's kind of disappointing compared to the original.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I liked pointing at star bits, it requires like 5% of your attention so it's something to idly do when running from place to place, or a mini-challenge to grab as many as you can when you're being shot from star to star. If you're OCD and need to grab them all then yeah I can see why it sucked for you.

Yeah pretty much. The thing about those star bits vs. collecting every single coin in a level is that coins take effort to get to. You have to move Mario over to them, but the star bits always made me feel like I was lazy if I didn't collect 'em all; my remote's already pointed at the TV and it takes just a slight movement over to this part of the TV to grab those, so why wouldn't I? That's fine and all once, but when the entire game's full of situations where I felt like all I had to do was expend a tiny bit of effort to get those pieces, it constantly breaks flow and makes me feel like I'm not playing to my current best potential.

Not to mention it's one of the most beautiful games on the Wii and it's an absolute crying shame the Wii only outputs at 480p. That poo poo looks amazing in an emulator, imagine the beaucoup bucks they could get for an HD rerelease. But then again if there's one thing Nintendo hates, it's money, so that'll never happen.

noirstronaut posted:

Hey guys, given recent "advancements" as far as Wii U hacking goes, how long would you estimate it'll be until we get something that allows to play out-of-region games? I'm mostly asking because I want to play Taiko no tatsujin like it's nobody's business.

When the demand for something like Project M for Smash 4 gets big enough.

McFunkerson posted:

I've always wondered what the point of region locking was anyway. The first time I was really aware if it was when DVDs first became popular.

I mean, I get that different companies get distribution rights in different countries. But how many people are going to go to the trouble and expense of importing a game/movie/controller/etc they can buy locally? If done right I'd think the importing data could be valuable market research. Meaning, if a game was unavailable, or had altered content in one region and a number of people imported that title because there was no region lock, those numbers would help tell the parent company market demand.

When thinking about the measures Nintendo went through to region lock games and controllers for the NES and SNES it makes me wonder who the hell in the 80s and 90s could have even imported this stuff? The Internet has made importing easy, but back then...

For what it's worth, the PS3 had region locking optional and one, exactly one game used it. Persona 4 Arena. Long story short, the Japanese and American versions were nearly identical (both having English & Japanese options) but the Japanese version would be sold at (equivalent to) $32 more. So you could just import an American copy and presto, cheaper game.

I guess Nintendo's concerned with the same thing, since you don't need to know much English to play just about any of their first party games.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 2, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Or don't, because it's kind of disappointing compared to the original.

It was a joke because like
then
and then Okamiden
ya see

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It turns out the Digital Deluxe Promotion is an actual promotion. I always assumed it was the name of the Console (with bigger hd) and the promotion was that those were coming bundled with a game. You guys said "Digital Deluxe Promotion" one too many times so I looked it up. There it was a whole separate nintendo affiliated website - I signed in with my Nintendo ID and bam free money.

You know what I kind of resent that I need to be a Nintendo freeking expert to know how to do this stuff. I can't imagine the general public is expected to figure all this out on their own, which is perhaps the point of it. They want points to go unclaimed. Couldn't just have my points funnel into my eShop account? Perhaps a notice. How many different Nintendo affiliate websites do I need to know about?

On the other hand I'm complaining about free stuff.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
You need to be a Nintendo Expert to read the box the console comes with? The digital deluxe program is the defining feature of the black version of the Wii U and is included in every bundle beside the white Wii U's. Weird to blame consumer ignorance on Nintendo, it's not some super secret thing they don't want you to sign up for so you don't save $5 or $10 dollars.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

I have played that, and while it's cute, it's just not the same. :smith:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They really didn't advertise the website well, since I didn't know it was a website you had to sign in to until I accidentally hit the DDP pane in the Eshop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There was a brochure about it in the box with the console. There was information about it on the box for the console.

Edit: "YOU EXPECT ME TO READ THE MANUAL???"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There was a sticker on the box, too and it has been featured somewhere on the eshop page a lot and some surveys asked about it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
We also talk about it in this thread at least once a week. Nolgthorn has been here for a long time.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

You need to be a Nintendo Expert to read the box the console comes with? The digital deluxe program is the defining feature of the black version of the Wii U and is included in every bundle beside the white Wii U's. Weird to blame consumer ignorance on Nintendo, it's not some super secret thing they don't want you to sign up for so you don't save $5 or $10 dollars.

Yes as I said every black 32GB console says "Digital Deluxe" so I thought that was the name used to distinguish it from the white ones, and it is. It's consumer ignorance but I never saw it mentioned anywhere on the eShop, I didn't read through all the paper that came with the box if it was in there and the box doesn't mention it on the outside.

I'll just say the exact same thing again since I think a couple people missed it. I thought "Digital Deluxe Promotion" was that the "Digital Deluxe" system was bundled with a game because all of them are. Why should I have to sign into a different website?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The SKU is actually just called the "Deluxe Set". The Deluxe Digital Promotion, one of the additional features included in the Deluxe Set, is highlighted by a bright orange shiny sticker on the box that is visibly separate from the SKU's name or the game included.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Mine doesn't have one, yet I qualified for the promotion. Well whatever.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 3, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every 32gb WiiU Deluxe system is eligible. Free money!!!

EDIT: I've gotten $45 free dollars from Nintendo, woot.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 3, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

This promotion is just the thing where they give you a few points for the nintendo shop when you buy things there, right?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kly posted:

This promotion is just the thing where they give you a few points for the nintendo shop when you buy things there, right?

You get 10 points/dollar spent and when you get 500 points you can redeem it for $5 eshop credit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Totally not worth the $130 price difference in Australia. Mario Kart does ease the pain a bit if you can find it bundled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

Capcom is going through some weird stuff atm. They canceled the hostile takeover buyout and nobody is sure what that could mean. But they still hold the Okami license but if they're going to start selling off their dormant franchises that remains to be seen.

Wait, who was going to buy out Capcom? First I've heard about it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So I'm unhappy to discover super mario bros wii u doesn't let you use the gamepad in coop except for boost mode. The plus side is it's more fun to gently caress over your friend than it is to help them. Still, what a pile of bullshit

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No-one was going to buy out Capcom, their stockholders just elected not to renew their shareholder defense, meaning that some other company could hypothetically purchase a controlling stake in the company.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

ethanol posted:

So I'm unhappy to discover super mario bros wii u doesn't let you use the gamepad in coop except for boost mode. The plus side is it's more fun to gently caress over your friend than it is to help them. Still, what a pile of bullshit

That game is great but the controls are bizarre.

Gamepad only for single player except if you want to use it for placing boxes places... and no nunchuk support. Other people said they were starting to get tired of mario bros games but I actually want another one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nolgthorn posted:

That game is great but the controls are bizarre.

Gamepad only for single player except if you want to use it for placing boxes places... and no nunchuk support. Other people said they were starting to get tired of mario bros games but I actually want another one right now.

In single player, once you get into the game, you can pause and there's a switch controllers button that lets you use wiimote or pro controller.

• Locked thread