Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Far worse than the first, but I haven't seen the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

I am Groot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

Aliens

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Slim Killington posted:

Rocket specifically states that her cybernetic implants or something similar will keep her going for a little bit, not to mention she isn't human. Plus, Peter is only half human too, so that might account for his ability to survive.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Slim Killington posted:

My problem with that scene is that the blood vessels in his eyes burst like they would in that situation, but in the next scene they're back to normal.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
No yeah I get how they hand-waved away why it's totally an okay thing for it to happen, but the execution was dreadful and it dragged on for way too long for how badly it was done. The were filmed underwater and in premise yeah, that's the way to go, but it just didn't work. Nothing about the sequence worked, from the eyes to the skin icing over, it was just very bad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

No yeah I get how they hand-waved away why it's totally an okay thing for it to happen, but the execution was dreadful and it dragged on for way too long for how badly it was done. The were filmed underwater and in premise yeah, that's the way to go, but it just didn't work. Nothing about the sequence worked, from the eyes to the skin icing over, it was just very bad.

I disagree, it just didn't bother me that a modified half robot alien chick and a half-alien dude, both using a magic space mask to survive at various times were able to survive until they got picked up, especially since it was really quick that they got picked up.

The only thing about the movie that really got on my nerves was when they're at the very end and they all have the infinity stone, and the badguy is like HOW YOU ARE MORTALS!? and Quinn delivers a line like 'lol u no y bich, we're the gardens of the galaxy' and it's just really, really bad. And it irritated the poo poo out of me. But I hate those sort of lines in general. It also just didn't fit the somewhat self aware tone of the movie up to and beyond that point.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It was annoying that I waited until after the credits for some extra bit only to get trolled with a Howard the duck joke. Well played Marvel.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It was annoying that I waited until after the credits for some extra bit only to get trolled with a Howard the duck joke. Well played Marvel.

Still doesn't top Iron Man 3, where they added extra fake credits to make people wait longer, just to be dicks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait really? that's a hilarious and needlessly expensive gag.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the new Spiderman 2 movie where the obligatory credits thing was literally just a clip/trailer for the new X-Men movie. It was so loving lazy that I couldn't help but laugh. There isn't even anything after the credits, the trailer cuts in about 30 seconds into them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CJacobs posted:

I liked the new Spiderman 2 movie where the obligatory credits thing was literally just a clip/trailer for the new X-Men movie. It was so loving lazy that I couldn't help but laugh. There isn't even anything after the credits, the trailer cuts in about 30 seconds into them.

That was because the director had to cut a deal to film Spider-Man 2 when he should have been working on Xmen, I think. He was allowed to disrupt the schedule provided that the trailer was in the credits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of Spiderman 2, what a loving awful movie it was. I loved it.

Inzombiac posted:

That was because the director had to cut a deal to film Spider-Man 2 when he should have been working on Xmen, I think. He was allowed to disrupt the schedule provided that the trailer was in the credits.

:allears:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Inzombiac posted:

Pretty sure this is all part of Marvel's long term plan. The end skit of Captain America 2 is about 'The Twins' quicksilver and scarlet witch. They're tying everything together for some big mash up. But yeah, they could totally find better ways to do it as it's become such a 'thing' with them now that people are often waiting more to see those last 30 seconds than a lot of the movie they're actually watching.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dpack_1 posted:

Pretty sure this is all part of Marvel's long term plan. The end skit of Captain America 2 is about 'The Twins' quicksilver and scarlet witch. They're tying everything together for some big mash up. But yeah, they could totally find better ways to do it as it's become such a 'thing' with them now that people are often waiting more to see those last 30 seconds than a lot of the movie they're actually watching.

Except of course that Quicksilver was in First Class, in the 70s...

I'm pretty sure the Spiderman, X-Men and Avengers universes are still solidly separate - Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are interesting because they fit intoboth Avengers and X-Men and I think their movie rights aren't exclusive like most of the others.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

How is it in comparison to the only two movies I can think of where that happens: 2001 and Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, assuming you mean without space suits.

Anything would be more believable than when they did this with John Crichton in Farscape. Although the events leading up to that are so awesome that it gets kind of negated.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

thespaceinvader posted:

Except of course that Quicksilver was in First Class, in the 70s...

I'm pretty sure the Spiderman, X-Men and Avengers universes are still solidly separate - Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are interesting because they fit intoboth Avengers and X-Men and I think their movie rights aren't exclusive like most of the others.

The movie universes are separate by virtue of having different owners, yeah. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are usable in Marvel movies properties like Avengers, but only if they're not called mutants. Quicksilver in the X-Men universe is a mutant, Quicksilver in the Avengers universe is a science experiment like Cap.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Silly Newbie posted:

The movie universes are separate by virtue of having different owners, yeah. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are usable in Marvel movies properties like Avengers, but only if they're not called mutants. Quicksilver in the X-Men universe is a mutant, Quicksilver in the Avengers universe is a science experiment like Cap.

This is a good system that works.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If the X-men were in the same film universe as the Avengers it'd be weird. People hate mutants in the X-men films but they're p cool with super powered people in the Marvel hero films.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
The comics have been running with that for like 50 years, I'm sure they'd make it work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

made of bees posted:

The comics have been running with that for like 50 years, I'm sure they'd make it work.

Comics aren't really comparable considering all the retconning and horrible continuity that exists in them. Comics are not a cohesive narrative universe at all. Very bad analogy, 2/10.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So far, the Avengers are technology aided, a prince of another world, and a scientifically modified American soldier, except for the Hulk who is feared and hated. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will probably throw a wrench in that, though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

This is a good system that works.

Its a poo poo system that makes money for rear end bitches while ensuring we will never have an X-Men vs Avengers while Spider-Man makes fun of them all aka, a true Marvel U on cinema.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Supreme Allah posted:

Its a poo poo system that makes money for rear end bitches while ensuring we will never have an X-Men vs Avengers while Spider-Man makes fun of them all aka, a true Marvel U on cinema.

pfft, look at this huge nerd who needs to see all his comics heroes simultaneously like a main cast of 6 on the one hand and of [Wolverine+bad scripts] on the other aren't enough.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WickedHate posted:

So far, the Avengers are technology aided, a prince of another world, and a scientifically modified American soldier, except for the Hulk who is feared and hated. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will probably throw a wrench in that, though.

Yeah, all they need to do is make it clear that Avengers are public heroes with known identities and mutants are vigilantes who try to keep their identities secret.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, all they need to do is make it clear that Avengers are public heroes with known identities and mutants are vigilantes who try to keep their identities secret.

The vigilante part doesn't really play into it with the X-Men. It's just the mutant part, usually, and they don't keep their identity secret most of the time either. Right now Scott Summers is like Malcolm X and people spray paint his name on buildings.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

made of bees posted:

It barely makes sense in the comics 90% of the time.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Regarding Quicksilver: I find it really interesting that both versions of Quicksilver work on another "superhero" movie together, Kick rear end. Evan Peters plays Todd in Kick-rear end 1, and is the X-Men's Quicksilver. Aaron Taylor-Johnson plays the Titular Kick-rear end and is Quicksilver in the Avengers universe.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

X-men needs to stay off on its own due to its massive cast and effectively incompatible worldbuilding, but I am disappointed that Spidey can't be in the Avengers.

Cause then he'd get a decent movie.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Byzantine posted:

X-men needs to stay off on its own due to its massive cast and effectively incompatible worldbuilding, but I am disappointed that Spidey can't be in the Avengers.

Yeah, someone really needs to make a Spiderman film that isn't two hours of him loving moping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

If the X-men were in the same film universe as the Avengers it'd be weird. People hate mutants in the X-men films but they're p cool with super powered people in the Marvel hero films.

In The Ultimates the Wasp is a mutant pretending to be a science enhanced human because if it got out that she was a mutant her public profile would be ruined. It's not weird, they hate mutants because mutants are different. People like sex but hate gays, this is the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, X-Men makes a lot more sense if they're in a world where nobody else actually has powers. No other heroes need to qualify where they got their powers before the public accepts them or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, someone really needs to make a Spiderman film that isn't two hours of him loving moping.

The Amazing Spider-Man is not very mopey but it's also significantly worse than the first two Raimi films.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think the problem with Amazing Spider-Man 2 was villain overdose. Although Rhino barely counts because his entire involvement in the film could be seen in the trailer, man that was terrible.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jedit posted:

In The Ultimates the Wasp is a mutant pretending to be a science enhanced human because if it got out that she was a mutant her public profile would be ruined. It's not weird, they hate mutants because mutants are different. People like sex but hate gays, this is the same.

Why are these guys with powers acceptable but this other group isn't? It's not like a sex analogy because mutants are literally exactly like the other people with powers. The gay analogy doesn't work because there is literally zero difference between them except for the label of mutant. Wait. Waaaaait.

I get it now. Mutants represent women! When a non-mutant (male) uses superpowers (sex) to fight crime (enjoy himself) it's heroic (being a REAL MAN). But when a mutant (female) does it she's like, a terrorist (slut).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't ever become a mutant but maybe I can be Spider-Man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How is Captain America also the Human Torch?! Makes you thi

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Slime posted:

Why are these guys with powers acceptable but this other group isn't? It's not like a sex analogy because mutants are literally exactly like the other people with powers. The gay analogy doesn't work because there is literally zero difference between them except for the label of mutant. Wait. Waaaaait.

I get it now. Mutants represent women! When a non-mutant (male) uses superpowers (sex) to fight crime (enjoy himself) it's heroic (being a REAL MAN). But when a mutant (female) does it she's like, a terrorist (slut).

It's because Magneto referred to mutants as homo superior and the word homo really set everyone off.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Nastyman posted:

It's because Magneto referred to mutants as homo superior and the word homo really set everyone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slime posted:

Why are these guys with powers acceptable but this other group isn't? It's not like a sex analogy because mutants are literally exactly like the other people with powers. The gay analogy doesn't work because there is literally zero difference between them except for the label of mutant.

So you missed the bit in one of the X-Men movies where Bobby Drake's mother literally says "Have you tried not being a mutant?" This is not subtext.