Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

If you look at what Western powers have done to the Middle East since the Prizes were instituted and still manage to blurt out "guh why aren't there more Muslim prize winners? Must be their backwards religion!" then you are definitely ignorant and a bigot if only through that ignorance.

I will definitely pick cherries when the cherry is a pure trope of anti-Arabism.
So you are saying the suppression of modern thought and the pursuit of secular activities and scientific research, the denial of education, and all the results of the crackdown on these pursuits had no impact on the Western powers, as you put them, "doing" what they have "done?"

Could you consider that, perhaps, if this era of discovery had been allowed to continue, this culture would have been less likely to have these "things" "done" do them? That maybe these "things" you allude to are part and parcel of the very rejection of science that NDT references in history?

I'm not buying what you're selling.

Chantilly Say posted:

But he's a Westerner criticizing a society for not advancing to Western standards when the West has done quite a lot to stir poo poo in the Middle East and make advancement harder. Like, just for one example it's literally Israeli policy to kill top Iranian scientists.
I'll grant you that is the case recently, but how long has this been going on compared to when the prizes were introduced? Does Israel target all top Iranian scientists, or just ones working in, say, nuclear development or related studies? Is Iran the only place where there are top Islamic scientists?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

So you are saying the suppression of modern thought and the pursuit of secular activities and scientific research, the denial of education, and all the results of the crackdown on these pursuits had no impact on the Western powers, as you put them, "doing" what they have "done?"

Tighten this up a bit, I can't parse it. Unless you're saying "if only those Muslims hadn't been so backwards, maybe the West wouldn't have had to come in like regretful police and institute imperialism." That seems a little out there, so I'll assume I'm reading it wrong.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Tighten this up a bit, I can't parse it. Unless you're saying "if only those Muslims hadn't been so backwards, maybe the West wouldn't have had to come in like regretful police and institute imperialism." That seems a little out there, so I'll assume I'm reading it wrong.
I am just wondering if you could just waltz in and institute imperialism on the same culture if it hadn't stagnated and splintered and turned its back on its achievements (rather than furthering them) 400 years before the first settlements in the new world?

E for further clarification: with a head-start like that, couldn't things have gone completely the other way?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
AKA the Ayn Rand argument for manifest destiny

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

And what does "had been allowed" mean? Who was doing the not allowing?

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am just wondering if you could just waltz in and institute imperialism on the same culture if it hadn't stagnated and splintered and turned its back on its achievements (rather than furthering them) 400 years before the first settlements in the new world?

E for further clarification: with a head-start like that, couldn't things have gone completely the other way?
You seem to be assuming history is linear and there's a clear arc to it all. Head start to what?

Also, opinion on the colonization of the Americas and Australia?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Would it be possible to not get into a multi-page derail on Neil DeGrasse Tyson, of all people, in the right wing media thread?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So Charles Cooke is an idiot that doesn't understand nerd things.

Smarter than Thou
Neil deGrasse Tyson and America’s nerd problem

So I guess this makes Objectivist computer programmers not nerds?

This is basically the editorial written by Stan Gable after the end of Revenge Of The Nerds. (if he had written one)

edit

PostNouveau posted:

The dumbest man in media is now selling financial advice! So be sure to scoop up all those penny stocks.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/07/30/catastrophically-wrong-forecaster-dick-morris-i/200264

Why do people keep giving Dick Morris and Bill Kristol money? It's like Jim Cramer, if you had followed his advice you would've lost most of your money. People are ridiculous.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 2, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Slamming Muslim culture for its backwardness in a public presentation=certainly not "right wing media," no sir

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

You seem to be assuming history is linear and there's a clear arc to it all. Head start to what?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If this historical fact of the rejection of science had not happened some 600-ish years, say, before these Western powers began their biggest strides in science, perhaps those nations of Islam might have been less vulnerable? Could they not have beaten these "Western powers" in technology and other fields long LONG before this meddling took place?

I know history is chaotic and basically random, but on the other hand I have to believe that the nations/cultures with the strongest tools in the toolbox are gonna have some serious advantages in all sorts of areas. Under those conditions I imagine such meddling could be either a) nullified or b) actually taken place in the reverse.

This has nothing to do with Objectivism, I don't even see the link except for her adulation of what she considered strength. I don't agree with her idea of what strength is, so I don't think her thinking applies here at all.

The colonization of America? I dunno. It took place hundreds and hundreds of years after the Islamic world turned away from science, right? Not even sure how Australia fits into this as first being a penal colony.

I'm gonna have to apologize and just say I have explained my current thinking on this as best I can. I'm trying to say that if you rewind the clock and imagine a world where Islam's amazing and astonishing progress in science wasn't abruptly halted by religious zealots (much like our religious zealots are doing here in the USA or would/will do given more influence), I can easily imagine a world where the sciences begun by those amazing thinkers from 800-1100 would progress on an upward trajectory to where they have dominance, today, and they're the ones giving out the prizes!

Sorry, that's all l've got.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm gonna have to apologize and just say I have explained my current thinking on this as best I can. I'm trying to say that if you rewind the clock and imagine a world where Islam's amazing and astonishing progress in science wasn't abruptly halted by religious zealots (much like our religious zealots are doing here in the USA or would/will do given more influence), I can easily imagine a world where the sciences begun by those amazing thinkers from 800-1100 would progress on an upward trajectory to where they have dominance, today, and they're the ones giving out the prizes!

The Islamic Golden Age was mostly halted by the Mongols sacking everything (or the Reconquista, take your pick).

It was further held down though because Europeans discovered an alternate route to Asia and historically Muslim countries made their living by taxing people who went through their provinces.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Sir Tonk posted:

Would it be possible to not get into a multi-page derail on Neil DeGrasse Tyson, of all people, in the right wing media thread?

Please, did you think the proud Leftists of this thread could ever pass up a chance to tear apart one of their own for being insufficiently pure?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
So is the debate over whether or not religious leaders hosed up science, or whether that negatively effected the Islamic world or what?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Miltank posted:

So is the debate over whether or not religious leaders hosed up science, or whether that negatively effected the Islamic world or what?

No, it's about if Neil Degrasse Tyson is an islamophobe(He's not).

Worst derail in awhile.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait I thought it's about whether the Arabs were "asking for it" from the Europeans.

I mean, just sayin' there they were walking down that dark century without howitzers or the Hun's clever machine-gun. What did they expect, old chap?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What if I loved Nova ScienceNOW as a kid, think NDT is a swell dude overall with a funny twitter, and still think his opinions about Islam and science are kinda dumb? Am I allowed to have this opinion?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Diversity kicks rear end.

I like the fact that the US gets introduced to new food, ideas, and traditions being brought over by immigrants.

Anybody who doesn't want that is a dickbag.

Also - When you find out the kind of culture white supremacists are presumably trying to protect, it's all just a bunch of boring fake cowboy hillbilly stuff.

Oh no. Please protect my pork rinds from the immigrant menace.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

computer parts posted:

The Islamic Golden Age was mostly halted by the Mongols sacking everything (or the Reconquista, take your pick).

It was further held down though because Europeans discovered an alternate route to Asia and historically Muslim countries made their living by taxing people who went through their provinces.

In the case of the Mongols, not only did they take treasures, they took people. If you weren't caught up in the wholesale slaughter and had a useful skill, you would end up as a slave and be carted off to the next campaign. Much of the history we have from the Mongols themselves comes down from captured Chinese/Persians/Arabs/etc. who were put into service in the Khan's court.

The brain-drain caused by the Mongols was massive. Populations decimated, libraries burned, and all the surviving scribes, blacksmiths, the scientists and engineers of those days, taken away to be integrated into the nomadic Mongol warmachine.

Add to that, the region was divided up and overran by aspiring Khans for centuries, Mongols and Turks, before finally being carved up and parceled out by Europeans in the aftermath of World War 1.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I was recently told the George W Bush prevented World War 3 by driving up the price of tortillas. Is this a thing?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spacedad posted:

Joke's on them, pork rinds are ubiquitous. And tasty.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

I was recently told the George W Bush prevented World War 3 by driving up the price of tortillas. Is this a thing?

Let me be clear, we made some folks pay a lot for corn. But uh, in hindsight it got us through a tough time. So maybe we shouldn't judge too sanctimoniously.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So Charles Cooke is an idiot that doesn't understand nerd things.

Smarter than Thou
Neil deGrasse Tyson and America’s nerd problem

So I guess this makes Objectivist computer programmers not nerds?

Here's the line out of the article that seems really telling to me:

quote:

driven by principle rather than the pivot tables of Microsoft Excel

Yeah, those dirty liberal nerds are more interested in figuring out what actually happens then just sticking to an idea with no factual basis. How stupid of them.

EDIT: Also LOL on nerd culture (which is incredibly sexist and homophobic) on actually being left.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 2, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The closest thing I've heard to that is the whole increase in global food prices was a big root cause of the Arab Spring. Food instability causes political instability in general, so I'd doubt anyone who says that driving up the price of staples helps prevent war.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

rkajdi posted:

The closest thing I've heard to that is the whole increase in global food prices was a big root cause of the Arab Spring. Food instability causes political instability in general, so I'd doubt anyone who says that driving up the price of staples helps prevent war.

Might be.

e: vvvv Wiki says 338 so probably.

Bates fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 2, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I get that the points are supposed to be uprisings, but are the numbers in parentheses casualties? I didn't think that many people were killed in the Tunisia uprising-- that pretty much happened over weekend IIRC.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

What if I loved Nova ScienceNOW as a kid, think NDT is a swell dude overall with a funny twitter, and still think his opinions about Islam and science are kinda dumb? Am I allowed to have this opinion?

People legit can't grasp the idea that a man who's smart about some things can be stupid about other things. Like, they look at it like a box to check "Smart guy, Yes or No" and that's it. NDT is a smart guy in his field and seems to be a genuinely nice and funny dude in his personal life, but he's kinda dumb as poo poo about history as shown in a few lovely revisionist things in Cosmos (Bruno was executed for his science views, apparently, and those silly Chinamen burning their books centuries ago literally destroyed science there, weird!). Like, at best he was ignorant about those things and at worst he purposely lied to appeal to a certain kind of 'I loving love science' fan and push an agenda, and that's shady as poo poo. Regardless, one of those statements doesn't make the other not true.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People legit can't grasp the idea that a man who's smart about some things can be stupid about other things. Like, they look at it like a box to check "Smart guy, Yes or No" and that's it. NDT is a smart guy in his field and seems to be a genuinely nice and funny dude in his personal life, but he's kinda dumb as poo poo about history as shown in a few lovely revisionist things in Cosmos (Bruno was executed for his science views, apparently, and those silly Chinamen burning their books centuries ago literally destroyed science there, weird!). Like, at best he was ignorant about those things and at worst he purposely lied to appeal to a certain kind of 'I loving love science' fan and push an agenda, and that's shady as poo poo. Regardless, one of those statements doesn't make the other not true.

NDT was the presenter. He didn't write the material - they have writers for that.

Series Writing Credits
Ann Druyan ... (13 episodes, 2014)
Carl Sagan ... (13 episodes, 2014)
Steven Soter ... (13 episodes, 2014)

NDT read things from a script that wasn't true and he shouldn't have done that. However, I can accept that he's probably not knowledgeable about a great many subjects including history and guy had things to do and places to be so he couldn't personally proofread and fact-check the whole thing beforehand which he is not trained for anyway.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Plus there seems to be a tendency with people from the exact sciences who think the humanities are easy and then go on to embarrass themselves with laughably simplistic analyses of history/literature.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

rkajdi posted:

It's been a couple of weeks, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it went something like this: the massive ethanol subsidies of a few years back were not intended to encourage development of a bullshit go-nowhere alternative fuel. Rather, they were intended to get everyone growing corn, and then turning that corn into something that is not food in order to drive up global tortilla prices. This led to some kind of tortilla madness, which had people rioting in the streets in tortilla-dependent nations. I think maybe this all had something to do with those nations not wanting to trade oil in US dollars, anymore. Apparently, we flexed our bread-basket muscle and brought everyone back in line.

Also, George W. Bush was compared to the Dark Knight. It seems that George saved the entire world with this tortilla scheme, and never took any credit for it because saving the world was enough for him.

The person who told me this is not stupid, but I feel like he gets way too much of his information from sketchy sources. I think he's a big fan of "alternative" news and statistics outlets that claim to be revealing hidden truths, but whose hidden truths always just happen to line up with the right-wing worldview. I was hoping this was the sort of well-known nonsense that has already been thoroughly investigated and/or debunked, so someone could just point me to the right place to go read up on it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

That's way too sophisticated for the US government. GWB threw money at farmers so they'd grow gas and then the world starved. Seems like something a government would do.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Nyarlothotep posted:

Plus there seems to be a tendency with people from the exact sciences who think the humanities are easy and then go on to embarrass themselves with laughably simplistic analyses of history/literature.

Or for that matter: Art.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Also - When you find out the kind of culture white supremacists are presumably trying to protect, it's all just a bunch of boring fake cowboy hillbilly stuff.

"Cowboys" were originally blacks, hispanics and poor whites too.

They can't even lay claim to that.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's been a couple of weeks, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it went something like this: the massive ethanol subsidies of a few years back were not intended to encourage development of a bullshit go-nowhere alternative fuel. Rather, they were intended to get everyone growing corn, and then turning that corn into something that is not food in order to drive up global tortilla prices. This led to some kind of tortilla madness, which had people rioting in the streets in tortilla-dependent nations. I think maybe this all had something to do with those nations not wanting to trade oil in US dollars, anymore. Apparently, we flexed our bread-basket muscle and brought everyone back in line.

A few things wrong with this:

* We didn't intentionally create a food issue, we did because we're idiots and unable to see anything past the end of our noses.

* Most/all of the unrest from the commodity bubble was in countries that don't use corn/tortillas as a staple. On that chart that was listed, the only country even in the new world is Haiti, which I don't think uses tortillas, though may use corn as a staple.

Tell this stuff to your friend. W was big on meddling in the Arab world, but he didn't do it through commodity issues. He did it the old fashioned way-- guns and bombs.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Corn is global now, and people all over the world use corn meal in various forms as a staple food.

Overall though, US corn-to-ethanol spending was only a small part of what ended up being a broad asset and commodities bubble.

And G W Bush didn't plan any of that any more than he planned gasoline to cross $4/gal, the real estate market to collapse, banks to fail, etc.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And G W Bush didn't plan any of that any more than he planned gasoline to cross $4/gal, the real estate market to collapse, banks to fail, etc.

But all these things are Obama's fault???

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Also, you don't need corn to make flour tortillas.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
And eat my food on some poo poo tier tortilla? No thank you. Corn or bust.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

I feel ashamed, too. Of you. I feel ashamed you would feel more compassion for folks who shouldn’t be here than the folks paying the bills who already are here. I feel ashamed you somehow feel we aren’t doing enough. I feel ashamed you think that processing them and feeding them and clothing them and for likely years now looking after them is not enough.

I feel ashamed you think enrolling them in schools here at great expense to towns that can’t afford it here, isn’t doing enough here. I feel ashamed you have it in your heart to suddenly care for all of these illegals who just show up here, but apparently not in your head to explore how the heck they got here. I feel ashamed you seem to have now just discovered there even is a border, let alone what’s happening at that border.

I feel ashamed you somehow think illegals live in the shadows here, yet mention nothing about the illegals who showed up in broad daylight to protest outside the White House for rights they shouldn’t even have here. I feel ashamed, Congresswoman, you’re perfectly fine granting 1.4 million illegals with licenses in your state next year and cannot fathom how that is driving many legal Californians nuts in your state.

I feel ashamed that you would somehow imply it’s racist to say stop, when it’s more reckless to say nothing.

And I feel ashamed that you would condone allowing illegals to cut in line and prefer taxpayers here to shut up and cut a check. I feel ashamed that you would forget that and forget us.

I feel ashamed that you would find us all so embarrassing when it’s our money, our schools, our towns, our municipalities and our increasingly meager resources behind all this processing and all this providing and all this paying.

I feel ashamed that we apparently shame you. But you know something, Congresswoman? I feel far more ashamed for the fools who voted for you.

Read more at http://www.newshounds.us/neil_cavuto_should_be_ashamed_of_his_attacks_on_rep_barbara_lee_08012014#C3bus1gmtuAUTo4L.99

I feel ashamed too.

I feel ashamed I live in a country that allows people to bully their way into denying basic human rights for people under their misguided racism, classicism and prejudice. I feel ashamed that I've seen signs related to KKK/Neo-Nazi slogans at anti-immigration rallies. I feel ashamed that our nation allowed Fox News and the conservative viewpoint to gain any sort of legitimacy in this country.

I feel ashamed that I even remotely share legitimate citizenship with people like Neil Cavuto who is more concerned about some imaginary debt, than he is about human lives. Especially those of WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

But all these things are Obama's fault???

Probably

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Cowboys" were originally blacks, hispanics and poor whites too.

They can't even lay claim to that.

In my youth, I had a strange conversation with a neo-confederate relative in which he explained to me that I shouldn't use the word "cowboy" because that's what the black ranch-hands were called, but rather I should use the word "cattleman" as that was the term reserved for white folk.

I have no idea if this has any basis in fact.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What's that somewhat reasonable globalism is imperialism sign doing there? Or are they just stupid and not realize they're condemning neoliberalism with it?

computer parts posted:

Nativism is not an exclusively right-wing thing. NAFTA had a lot of opposition from all sides of society (it's a major part of what Perot ran on).
Yep and in this case I guarantee you it's an Alex Jones listener holding up that sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Michael Savage went off on a tizzy about how the illegal kids are being kept in "camps" that are really luxury hotels with flat screen TVs, a pool, flat screen TVs, beds, and flat screen TVs (he REALLY wanted to drive that point home). Apparently some company is making MAD MONEY off the government by providing these facilities and...I guess I'm supposed to be outraged that government contracts are going towards helping brown kids instead of murdering them for once?

I dunno, it got into really tinfoil hat territory before it grew dull.