Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

Work has been killing my ability to get out and shoot lately so I've resorted to going back through some old photos from this winter.

Worth going back to! Dat bird...so sharp

e - dammit I always have the shittiest snipes. Here a bird:

Chipping Sparrow by No Small Wave, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

Work has been killing my ability to get out and shoot lately so I've resorted to going back through some old photos from this winter.

Loving the post work on this.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
Before going to Iceland I had never pointed my camera at a bird. It's so easy to do there.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
They all look like they are CGI. I'm not complaining, I like them, it's just odd.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

InternetJunky posted:

Feeling a little heavy on the contrast and saturation.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kujaroth posted:

Before going to Iceland I had never pointed my camera at a bird. It's so easy to do there.

drat! Yours turned out way better than mine did. What lens were you using?

I only wish I had gotten a shot of one in flight, or with a beak full of fish.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Kujaroth posted:

Those are awesome. Iceland is definitely on the short list of places I want to get to someday.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Those are pretty much nailed, even without accounting for it being a first go. The framing of the grass on the first one works really well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those puffin photos are just amazing.

Went to Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge early this morning. Didn't spot any belted kingfishers, and couldn't get close to any red-winged blackbirds, but got a few things I liked.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

A few of those shots turned out OK, so I threw them up on flickr, and some guy found them and asked if I would post more to a series of groups like, "Birds and Animal Butt Shots!" and "Animal Bums From Around The World." Which, my first reaction was, "man, that's weird." And my second was, "Oh poo poo, this is a fetish isn't it?"

:banjo:

Was that :nws: This rear end in a top hat-Collector? :nws: One of my recent poopin' bird shots (and not even a good one) got favourited by him and invited to a group. :wtf:

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

They all look like they are CGI. I'm not complaining, I like them, it's just odd.

Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with the light, which was basically fog (hence the completely non-existent backgrounds.) It is unlikely to be processing-related, as they have almost no processing other than some slight tweaks to contrast, sharpening for web etc. As Iceland was likely the first and last time I will photograph a bird (barring any re-visits, which are on the cards) I wouldn't know the first thing about processing bird shots. Hence, very little was done.

Bubbacub posted:

drat! Yours turned out way better than mine did. What lens were you using?

I only wish I had gotten a shot of one in flight, or with a beak full of fish.

Just a 70-200/4 for Nikon. I got a few of them flapping their wings on the ground but not sure I like the framing of any. Didn't see any with a beak full of fish, probably because I was there around 11pm and hunting time was over.

Cheers all.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Was that :nws: This rear end in a top hat-Collector? :nws: One of my recent poopin' bird shots (and not even a good one) got favourited by him and invited to a group. :wtf:

I didn't actually click the guy's profile until you asked, but IT ABSOLUTELY IS.

Which, I guess it's nice to know Flickr only has the one weird bird anus fetishist.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
A bird

s d photo, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kujaroth posted:

These birds were just posing for the camera, weren't they?

Also, what monopod + head do you cheapskate shooters recommend?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

spookygonk posted:

These birds were just posing for the camera, weren't they?

Also, what monopod + head do you cheapskate shooters recommend?

I have the Sirui carbon-fiber monopod. It's good, but I rarely use it because most of the shooting I do needs to be pretty mobile and is just hand-held, but if you've got a good spot with birds that aren't going to require a huge amount of camera movement it'll certainly do the trick. (Herons are a good example of this)

I don't have a head on my monopod and don't miss it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I do like my gimbal head, a Benro GH1. If you want something even cheaper, the LensMaster stuff seems to be well received (as long as you accept you've traded cost for weight)

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I have an opteka knock off gimbal that I use for my big lenses and a manfrotto ball head I use for smaller stuff / spotting scope. I don't use a monopod because I either handhold or I'm in a setup using the tripod + gimbal. I have thought about trying out a monopod for when I'm planning on hanging out more or less in one spot. I don't think I'd use a head for it though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I use one of these on my monopod (not that I use a monopod often). I find it more comfortable than leaning the whole combo.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-234rc-monopod-tilt-head-with-quick-release/p11019

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Those of you who crawl through the woods to get your shots, are you concerned about catching Lyme?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

Those of you who crawl through the woods to get your shots, are you concerned about catching Lyme?

Yes. I have friends who have gotten Lyme's and it's not cool at all. Its good to do a tick check periodically.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It depends on your state. Check your region's department of health. For example, the Washington State health department says:

quote:

Each year, 7-23 cases of Lyme disease among Washington residents are reported. Most of these people acquired the disease following tick bites that occurred in the northeast and upper mid-west states, where Lyme disease occurs more commonly. However, there are usually a few cases (0-3) in Washington annually that result from tick bites in our state.

But yeah if you do a lot of backcountry hiking and especially if you're in one spot on bare ground for a while, get checked, because the earlier Lyme is caught the easier it is to treat. A tip I learned from a Smithsonian biologist studying ticks in Panama was if you're going to be in one spot for a while always bring a plastic tarp or something similar to lay down on instead of bare ground.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

So far, I've been able to avoid being bitten by just checking my pants, socks and shoes for ticks every time I walk off trail (and paying attention to every twitch I feel in my leg hair), but I live on the west coast where Lyme is less of an issue (strangely enough, probably due to our lizards). If I lived in the northeast, I'd probably be putting tick repellent around my socks and waist every time I walked out in tall grass or brush.

I had my first Wilson's Phalarope sighting over the weekend. There's a small flock stopping to feed at Arcata Marsh during their migration.

phalarope-tongue by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

phalarope-nibble by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I'm hoping to get some good filming conditions before they leave, but it looks like I'm going to have to deal with overcast weather for most of the next week.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have an opteka knock off gimbal that I use for my big lenses and a manfrotto ball head I use for smaller stuff / spotting scope.
Any concerns with the Opteka gimbal, or are the general reviews of "Good once I shaved/lubed this part :pervert:" pretty fair in your experience? I'm fed up with trying to make fine adjustments with an awkward twisty ball head and might spring for the Opteka very soon.

From Ghana, here's a Kingfisher that doesn't fish:

Woodland Kingfisher by Icybacon, on Flickr

And from the park next door, a young Spotted or Barred/Spotted hybrid owl:

Strix Owl by Icybacon, on Flickr

This was in serious darkness, yet somehow I still forgot to lower the aperture after taking off the extender specifically to do that... At least it'll probably stand as a personal long exposure bird record!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Alpenglow posted:

Any concerns with the Opteka gimbal, or are the general reviews of "Good once I shaved/lubed this part :pervert:" pretty fair in your experience?

That's pretty much my exact experience. When I first got it, it was a little sticky spinning around the vertical axis. A couple of drops of triflow and it was working great. No complaints from me. It holds my Sigma 300-800, a 12 pound 2 foot long lens, just fine and moves in all directions smoothly. When its balanced properly, the camera stays right where you point it. The only downside I've noticed is that when you tighten it down, it moves like a half degree or so but its not anything major. Oh and I had to make a bracket to attach an off camera flash because I couldn't find one that fit it.

A friend of mine got one and hated it, although I'm still not exactly sure what his complaint was. He ended up getting a full Wimberly for really cheap (well, $350 which is cheap for wimberly) off craigslist and those are, indeed, much beefier and have a better "feel". They're not $400 retail better, imo, but there is a difference for sure.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Shorebird action is great right now in Alberta. A few hours kayaking yesterday earned me about 100 bug bites (not exaggerating, I look like I have chicken pox) but also some great photo opportunities.

Juvi Herring or California Gull (I have no clue how to tell them apart)

Pelicans

Marbled Godwit

Solitary Sandpiper

Long-billed Dowitcher

Bubbacub posted:

When I was in 8th grade I moved to Michigan from an area that didn't have ticks and one day after walking in long grass I came home to find a bunch of them on my nutsack. Ever since then I've been paranoid about a repeat incident, and even though I live in an area again without ticks (at least I've never seen them here) I still check myself religiously when I came in out of the field. gently caress ticks.

Alpenglow posted:

And from the park next door, a young Spotted or Barred/Spotted hybrid owl:

Strix Owl by Icybacon, on Flickr

This was in serious darkness, yet somehow I still forgot to lower the aperture after taking off the extender specifically to do that... At least it'll probably stand as a personal long exposure bird record!
First of all, I had no idea the two species interbred -- I thought the barred owl just killed the spotted owls in the wild. Secondly, that's a great picture, especially given that it's a long exposure!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

InternetJunky posted:

Pelicans

Solitary Sandpiper

All of those are great. The shots I quoted could use some clockwise rotation, I think

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

Pelicans

Marbled Godwit

These are great!

quote:

When I was in 8th grade I moved to Michigan from an area that didn't have ticks and one day after walking in long grass I came home to find a bunch of them on my nutsack.

Oh, gently caress that. I'll only go outside in winter.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

All of those are great. The shots I quoted could use some clockwise rotation, I think
Thanks. The pelican shot needs some rotation for sure, but the sandpiper shot is messed up because I was in a kayak with the camera tilted badly. I'm actually not sure what's level in that photo.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm off to Kenya for a few weeks on Saturday and can barely sleep I'm so pumped. Hopefully I come back with pictures of a few hundred new lifers.

Here's some more from Monday:

Hudsonian Godwit

Herring or California Juvi

Marbled Godwit

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not the most majestic of birds, but eh, they were there.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I was shopping around for a used 400/5.6, when I found a bargain-grade 1st gen (non-IS) 400/2.8 on KEH. Fuuu... poo poo, I ordered it. Apparently the front filter ring is damaged, but I don't have any filters that would fit on it anyway. Is the lack of IS going to kill me?

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 9, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I was shopping around for a used 400/5.6, when I found a bargain-grade 1st gen (non-IS) 400/2.8 on KEH. Fuuu... poo poo, I ordered it. Apparently the front filter ring is damaged, but I don't have any filters that would fit on it anyway. Is the lack of IS going to kill me?

Not on a 2.8.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I'm going to head to Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge very early on Sunday morning this weekend. Anybody have any advice for me since I've never been there before, and/or any other northwesterners want to join me? I'm planning on being there right around 6-6:30am.

Way too late for this, but advice for anybody else going there for the first time: make sure you go pee before you walk all the way to the end of the boardwalk!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 9, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bubbacub posted:

Haha there's no filter ring on that monstrosity. There's a drop in filter back toward the rear element. They probably mean the ring around the objective lens is bashed to poo poo which is real common since a lot of these were used for field sports like football. It should have no effect on anything at all. Be aware that this is the heaviest lens Canon ever made! You'll need a tripod/monopod for sure. Super rad lens tho, and if you get a 2x TC you've got a 800 f5.6! I don't think no IS is a big issue since you will need the aforementioned tripod pretty much always.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Great shore bird action on this page!

Just got back from a trip to Maryland/DC, got some zoo pics and some wild birds. Here are the wild ones:

Sleepy Night Heron by justincook5376, on Flickr

Sleepy Black Crowned Night Heron

Night Heron by justincook5376, on Flickr

One not so sleepy

Juvenile Night Heron by justincook5376, on Flickr

Juvenile

Male Wood Duck NonBreeding by justincook5376, on Flickr

Male Wood Duck in non breeding plumage

Goldfinch by justincook5376, on Flickr

American Gold Finch hanging out on some flowers

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You don't care but I need to say it to someone.

I have been spending the last hour yelling at myself for leaving my camera locked into 1000 iso while trying to shoot birds indoors. I had one bad experience shooting at an extremely high iso, in a very poorly lit conference room and I shot scared today. Scared of pushing a number higher. :argh:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

Kingfisher and owl
These are both really cool.

TheMirage posted:

Wood Duck and juvie night heron
Good job on both of these. The night heron looks very young.

InternetJunky posted:

Marbled Godwit

I'm loving the monopod godwit. Were you in a kayak to get such a low angle on those shorebirds? I was lying flat in a bayside bed of pickle grass yesterday, and I still wasn't getting quite so low an angle.

American Avocets

avocets-feeding by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Wilson's Phalarope

wilsons-phalarope by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Anna's Hummingbird

hummingbird-suckle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A poof with a face

poof by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A vole in flight

meal-delivery by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Those are drat good.

You're not helping me. :D
| /
|/

:haw:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VendaGoat posted:

You don't care but I need to say it to someone.

I have been spending the last hour yelling at myself for leaving my camera locked into 1000 iso while trying to shoot birds indoors. I had one bad experience shooting at an extremely high iso, in a very poorly lit conference room and I shot scared today. Scared of pushing a number higher. :argh:

I've done similar things. I left my camera in a white balance setting for indoor use (incandescent lights, everything set waaaaaay blue because those lights are really yellow). I've left it silly aperture / iso settings and shot a bunch of high-speed stuff, like birds, at like 1/30.

What camera? Some cameras do fine at ISO 1000, some look like rear end (and not the good kind of rear end).

White-bellied Sea Eagle from October of 2012 when I was in Tasmania.
Ferry to MONA 18 by Execudork, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Here are a couple of the zoo pics. I too have the fear of high ISO. With these Zoo pics I just bit the bullet since most of the exhibits are indoor and even the outdoor aviary was low light. This Blue Crowned Motmot is ISO 1600 and I think it's still use-ably sharp. I still am weary over going 1600 even though the 70D does pretty good with ISO. There is something about zooming in on the birds eye even when you have perfect focus and seeing noise that is disconcerting.

Blue Crowned Motmot by justincook5376, on Flickr

This second one I got away with a slower shutter/lower ISO because the 250mm lens has IS, which would definitely be nice on the 400mm if only I were rich.

Black Crake by justincook5376, on Flickr