Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

This might be of interest to some people. These are parries all done with STR 30 DEX 40 and Ring of Blades +1 on the same target.

code:
1287 Dagger+9 
417 Royal Dirk, unupgraded
960 Bent Blade+2
1086 Bent Blade +4
846 Rapier +10
291 Drakewing Ultra, unupgraded
612 Myrrah Greatsword, +7
798 Espada Ropera +8
876 Scimitrar +10
825 Ricards +10
268 unupgraded spider silk
578 warped sword +2
I have never seen an actual "Crit Scaling" list for weapons, but here's a few numbers for whatever its worth.

Backstabs and ripostes can randomly do more damage than normal with some weapons. So you need to do a bunch of them to have any real results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Genocyber posted:

You can buff each one with the other then powerstance. This makes them damaging and gives you access to powerstance moves+1handed moveset + spell casting.

I can't decide if I like this or not

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

Backstabs and ripostes can randomly do more damage than normal with some weapons. So you need to do a bunch of them to have any real results.

Not randomly, it's based on the FPS. If you're above 40 FPS is does the full, if one of you is below it does less. There's a post on reddit about it.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Just about finished my first playthrough as a strength dude using a greatshield and considering starting a new playthrough doing some kind of dual handed build using dodge. Would this be too hard for someone fairly new to the souls series? I mostly want to actually use dodge since right now I'm pretty rusty since I don't tend to use it. Also what class would I aim for, thinking just deprived.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game places a fairly heavier emphasis on dodging than DS1 and Demon's Souls, so it shouldn't take you too long to get used to it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

kojicolnair posted:

Just about finished my first playthrough as a strength dude using a greatshield and considering starting a new playthrough doing some kind of dual handed build using dodge. Would this be too hard for someone fairly new to the souls series? I mostly want to actually use dodge since right now I'm pretty rusty since I don't tend to use it. Also what class would I aim for, thinking just deprived.

Deprived doesn't even start with a club and shield in this one, though you find a Dagger readily enough and he starts at level 1 instead of 12 or something.

Also you start at 8 I-Frames "Worse than Fat Roll" on your dodge no matter what your equipment load is, until you raise your Agility stat enough. Check a wiki for exact numbers, but Agility is raised mostly by your adaptability stat (your 'do not take 10 seconds to raise your shield or drink estus' stat), and some from Attune. What endurance did in the first Dark Souls is basically split into two stats and one derived stat now. Endurance is only stamina, Vitality is only equip load (lower equip weight % changes roll DISTANCE, and also how fast stamina regenerates), Agility is your I-frames for dodge. Using 20 levels to raise my Warrior's Adaptability from 5 to 25 finally made it not worse than Mid-Roll in the last game.

The second "Boy, I wish something in game spelled this out" thing is how riposte works. Now if you attack an enemy while they are staggered from a Parry, you are doing it wrong. You have to wait an extra few seconds for them to fall backwards and land on their butt, THEN you can do a riposte canned animation.

EDIT: So it places a bigger emphasis on dodging, then gives you a worse dodge than is even possible in the last game to start the with! :darksouls:

VVV I think I might have pulled that off by accident on one of my first riposte attempts. Which did not help my confusion on the matter. Vicious cycle of trying to learn without a wiki, unless you think "Maybe NOT attacking is how I riposte!" is the next logical step because hitting them seems to cancel the falling on butt animation.

Game was kind enough to provide relatively short ladders early on to remind you "tapping B without a direction makes you jump off the ladder now!", no such teaching aid, even a passive aggressive one for the new riposte mechanic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 3, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

You can actually get a riposte critical while they're staggering but the timing is a bitch so it's easier to just wait until they sit down and then do it.

I never realized how fun an ultra greatsword could be! After mostly using dex weapons and getting annoyed at slapping dudes forever it's nice to one or two shot most enemies and chunk bosses for several hundred a swing.

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 3, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Genocyber posted:

Not randomly, it's based on the FPS. If you're above 40 FPS is does the full, if one of you is below it does less. There's a post on reddit about it.

I noticed on the drake blood knights in the DLC I'd do 1200 on a riposte most of the time, 1800 occasionally on 360. Is this a counterexample or was I getting over 40 FPS on a 360 (I wouldn't know if I was, I can maybe count like 3 frames in a second if I'm counting as fast as I can).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I noticed on the drake blood knights in the DLC I'd do 1200 on a riposte most of the time, 1800 occasionally on 360. Is this a counterexample or was I getting over 40 FPS on a 360 (I wouldn't know if I was, I can maybe count like 3 frames in a second if I'm counting as fast as I can).

The console versions have uncapped framerates, running 30 minimum with 60 maximum, I think, so it's entirely possible the framerate changed from riposte to riposte.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Guy said he tested on PC only, so I got no clue how it works on console.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

^^ thought the 360 was locked at 30fps.

Genocyber posted:

I play on console. You can get different backstab damages with the same weapon. It's still a fairly random mechanic.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 3, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What's the best melee weapon for a str/dex build? And are shields worth it at higher levels/later in the game? Doesn't really seem to be the case.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's the best melee weapon for a str/dex build? And are shields worth it at higher levels/later in the game? Doesn't really seem to be the case.

If you're going for a 40/40 Quality build, the Sun Sword is pretty solid. Other weapons with high requirements/scaling like the Murakumo/Curved Dragon Greatsword or Yorgh's Spear work pretty well too. Also, shields are always useful, it just depends on what you use them for. Medium Shields kinda got the shaft this time around, because generally you either want a Small Shield's enhanced parrying or special effects, or a Greatshield's raw defense/stability.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

As a self admitted "Not so great at this" player I love my shields. Because I will gladly take getting staggered from a boss attack over getting hit for 80% of my health bar if I time things wrong. (Eat a dick made of dynamite, Royal Rat Authority).

Still, it seems to vary wildly. Tower Shield felt like kind of garbage early on against enemies I really really wanted to NOT get hit by. But then later game enemies start barely moving my stamina bar to block, and some bosses would only take "reasonable" chunks out of my tower shield stamina (with no changes to my Endurance stat, or shield upgrades).

Fat dude with scytches? Pair of quick swings empties out your bar when blocking with a tower shield. Crazed lobster scorpion man, oh god.

However Later, you fight beefy lion men, mastadon warriors three times your height, and Grym warriors swinging mother fuckin ANVILS at you... Oh, my stamina is hardly moving. Okay?

EDIT: I fully expect the "100% fire block" on Grym Greatshield to be of no help against Iron Keep boss, the place I just turned around and said "Nope" when I saw all the lava.

vvv I'm talking about the horizontal sickle swipes, which did no health damage but took gobs of stamina. I always avoided the sickle overhands, which I assumed were the shield bypass. The Bastille dudes with their own "can bypass shields, guys" weapon never drained anywhere near as much. So I did not assume Scythe/reapers had some special "gently caress stamina" property for every possible attack.

Not even joking when I said "Never upgraded my shield, same stamina". +0 Tower shield and 20 stamina. Grym Warriors and Mastadons only sorta moved my stamina instead of completely cleaning it out in a single two hit combo. I HAVE since moved onto a +3 Grym Greatshield. But you can't get to a Grym Greatshield without fighting Grym warriors so :v:

I bypassed Iron Keep like a little baby and went on to crush spider boss, then took a bit of a break after stumbling my way through one end of "am I back in Blight town?" and out the other. So my progress path is kind of wonky compared to usual.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Reapers/Scythes can hit through shields, and I imagine that you've upgraded your tower shield throughout your progression, so more stability/whatnot by the time you got to Doors of Pharros.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do any of you wizards know what damage type the Curved Sword/Thrusting Sword powerstance counts as? It looks kind of silly since you're slashing with a thrusting weapon, but I'm wondering if it counts as both thrusting and slashing or just slashing.

Also, powerstancing is cool and all, but the curved sword parry is just so darn good that I'm kinda wondering if I should just... not.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Your Computer posted:

Do any of you wizards know what damage type the Curved Sword/Thrusting Sword powerstance counts as? It looks kind of silly since you're slashing with a thrusting weapon, but I'm wondering if it counts as both thrusting and slashing or just slashing.

Also, powerstancing is cool and all, but the curved sword parry is just so darn good that I'm kinda wondering if I should just... not.

I've tried really hard to make the curved sword powerstance useful and it just isn't. I prefer to offhand a curved sword with a heftier main hand weapon such as a spear or katana and just use it occasionally for some specific attacks and of course the parry.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously guys, Sinh's theme is so good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a shame you'll never be listening to the boss theme during the fights.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

RabidWeasel posted:

I've tried really hard to make the curved sword powerstance useful and it just isn't. I prefer to offhand a curved sword with a heftier main hand weapon such as a spear or katana and just use it occasionally for some specific attacks and of course the parry.

Am I an idiot for powerstancing a poison infused Manslayer 5 alongside my raw warped sword 5? It seems to have done me well in PvE, a lot less well in PvP.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Simiain posted:

Am I an idiot for powerstancing a poison infused Manslayer 5 alongside my raw warped sword 5? It seems to have done me well in PvE, a lot less well in PvP.
Do you like it? Does it work for you? Cool, you made the right choice.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What's a good physical weapon to gently caress over people with huge elemental defense? Preferably something that doesn't have Great-class handling and doesn't have particularly high requirements.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

What's a good physical weapon to gently caress over people with huge elemental defense? Preferably something that doesn't have Great-class handling and doesn't have particularly high requirements.

Red Iron Twinblade (From Software please don't nerf)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a shame you'll never be listening to the boss theme during the fights.

If you don't instantly run to youtube after every boss fight and listen to the music six times, minimum, I have no idea what to tell you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I think this one might be Crowsmack's best one yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was disappointed with the LGK purely because I'd built him up so much in my head. I had this image of getting killed by the dude and having your phantom stuck in that room, constantly harassing you until you won and freed yourself.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Seriously guys, Sinh's theme is so good.

It sounds a lot like the O&S theme, which I guess is a pretty cool throwback, since at least Ornstein was supposed to be a Dragonslayer.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I just want to point out that this move

http://www.gfycat.com/AgonizingOrdinaryAsianelephant

is a move used by Kazuya and Heihachi in the Tekken series called Thunder God Fist

So what I'm saying is get ready to fight one or both in a volcano for that stupid crown

The King of Iron Bridge Tournament

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Section Z posted:

Deprived doesn't even start with a club and shield in this one, though you find a Dagger readily enough and he starts at level 1 instead of 12 or something.

Also you start at 8 I-Frames "Worse than Fat Roll" on your dodge no matter what your equipment load is, until you raise your Agility stat enough. Check a wiki for exact numbers, but Agility is raised mostly by your adaptability stat (your 'do not take 10 seconds to raise your shield or drink estus' stat), and some from Attune. What endurance did in the first Dark Souls is basically split into two stats and one derived stat now. Endurance is only stamina, Vitality is only equip load (lower equip weight % changes roll DISTANCE, and also how fast stamina regenerates), Agility is your I-frames for dodge. Using 20 levels to raise my Warrior's Adaptability from 5 to 25 finally made it not worse than Mid-Roll in the last game.

The second "Boy, I wish something in game spelled this out" thing is how riposte works. Now if you attack an enemy while they are staggered from a Parry, you are doing it wrong. You have to wait an extra few seconds for them to fall backwards and land on their butt, THEN you can do a riposte canned animation.

EDIT: So it places a bigger emphasis on dodging, then gives you a worse dodge than is even possible in the last game to start the with! :darksouls:

I definitely know how deprived worked now as I started my current character on it. I didn't really realize they'd have nothing but I was able to punch my way to that dagger.

As for parrying I've never really gotten the hang of it, not sure if my greatshield can even do it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Greatshields have a shield bash instead of a parry. You'll have to get used to the parry timing on any specific weapon/shield as well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kojicolnair posted:

I definitely know how deprived worked now as I started my current character on it. I didn't really realize they'd have nothing but I was able to punch my way to that dagger.

As for parrying I've never really gotten the hang of it, not sure if my greatshield can even do it.

Greatshields have a shield bash instead of a parry. If you want to learn how to parry, grab a small shield (or a curved sword) and practice on early enemies; I like Royal Soldiers, personally.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

e: nm that question was dumb. Are these the only weapons that have parry as the 1H R2, or are there others?

Weapon Name Parry Type Spell Parry
Espada Ropera Rapier No
Rapier Rapier No
Chaos Rapier Rapier No
Parrying Dagger Fast Dagger No

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Weapon Name Parry Type Spell Parry
Espada Ropera Rapier No
Rapier Rapier No
Chaos Rapier Rapier No
Parrying Dagger Fast Dagger No

Are you a robot?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Apparition posted:

Are you a robot?

I wish. I c/p'd the list from here http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/parry

e: A second question while I'm here; what encumbrance level do you guys usually run around at? I've been trying to get as close to 70% without going over as I can, but I'm not sure that's the best way to do it? I use no shield and dodge everything, so would there be benefits to running around at 40% instead?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I wish. I c/p'd the list from here http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/parry

e: A second question while I'm here; what encumbrance level do you guys usually run around at? I've been trying to get as close to 70% without going over as I can, but I'm not sure that's the best way to do it? I use no shield and dodge everything, so would there be benefits to running around at 40% instead?

The biggest increase in roll distance is for dropping to 50%, which does about 1/4 farther than 70%. The animation takes the same amount of time so long as you aren't fatrolling.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You get more roll distance and stamina regen at lower equipment load. Whether that's worth dropping whatever equipment you're wearing is up to you. I try and stay below 50% tho since that's when the stamina penalty really starts kicking in.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BlueDestiny posted:

You can actually get a riposte critical while they're staggering but the timing is a bitch so it's easier to just wait until they sit down and then do it.

Does anyone know what controls this? Lately I've been dual-wielding Warped Swords without powerstance and a dagger to swap to in my main hand. When I parry, I have enough time to switch to the dagger and do a standing riposte, with the same little punching animation to start it as when you guard break > riposte. But what's weird is that the punch will catch enemies even as they're falling down - they kind of get vacuumed back up so they can catch a dagger to the throat. This is in contrast to every other parry I've done, where (as people have said) attacking right after the parry just interrupts the falling-on-their-rear end animation. I've only seen it post-patch and while using Warped Swords, but I didn't try this pre-patch, so I don't know if it was changed, nor have I tried it with other weapons. Is the ability to do this associated with what the parry is performed with? Can a standing riposte be done after parrying with a shield?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pretty sure it just depends on the enemy. Some enemies you just can't guard break riposte that way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The regular dagger and manakin knife are still solid physicial backstab tools for a sorc right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedd posted:

The regular dagger and manakin knife are still solid physicial backstab tools for a sorc right?

Yes, dagger is better.