Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Is it time for the who can write more words about how much they hate FF# dick waving contest again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If we're lucky, maybe we'll get a two for one and end up arguing if FF is anime too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Actually, that makes me wonder how viable it would be to do "automate the game" challenges for a bunch of Final Fantasy games. Any one that has a Memory function, just set it up so you can mash Confirm. Seems like you'd stall on a gimmick boss or two but otherwise it should be pretty doable. FF6'd be a breeze with stuff like Autocrossbow or Gau.

I have a "Berserker" run of FF4 lying around for the PSP version and its Auto-Battle that's up to the Sealed Cave, though that's the first area where I had serious problems. Might bust that out again at some point.

Also, you can "theoretically" beat Neo Exdeath with four Berserkers in FF5, if you don't mind grinding to insane levels to beat Sandworm and Sol Cannon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The GIG posted:

If we're lucky, maybe we'll get a two for one and end up arguing if FF is anime too.

FFV, I mean, duh;

:downs:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
FFXII is actually good :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll have you know it's the worst game in the series.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FF12 is the worst and is also my favorite.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Do you really want a Chocolina game?

Sure. It's like Recettear but you use time travel to manipulate markets and fleece desperate heroes for gil.

Why do you think she was always there when you needed goods? She set the whole thing up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was hoping there'd be an HD version of XII but maybe it wouldn't be such a smart move for Square Enix since everyone apparently hates it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

I was hoping there'd be an HD version of XII but maybe it wouldn't be such a smart move for Square Enix since everyone apparently hates it
It sold pretty well and got high reviews. There are people in this thread saying they liked it, so it's not like there's even a goon consensus on it being total trash.

Plus, if they give it a remake, they'll probably use the IZJS version, and even some people who hate the base game like that version.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anytime square has done an HD edition of an rpg they always use the best edition. Like ffx international or the remix edition of Kingdom Hearts. I think ff13l2 HD is eventually coming. I'd like to see it on Vita.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

It sold pretty well and got high reviews. There are people in this thread saying they liked it, so it's not like there's even a goon consensus on it being total trash.

Plus, if they give it a remake, they'll probably use the IZJS version, and even some people who hate the base game like that version.

Yeah, I dislike vanilla XII more than anything in the XIII trilogy but the IZJS version redeemed the game for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

Compared to VII, X and XIII, it did pretty poorly, so chances of it getting significant attention from SE over their three golden games doesn't seem on top of their priority list.

Could still happen, but they're probably focusing on their special PREQUEL TRILOGY right now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ApplesandOranges posted:

Compared to VII, X and XIII, it did pretty poorly, so chances of it getting significant attention from SE over their three golden games doesn't seem on top of their priority list.

Well also consider the fact that the X remaster was half assed, even. Didn't they outsource it to a random chinese company?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm in the hated FFXII, liked XIII crowd too.

The battle system is actually awesome in XIII, you cannot just mash X to win or battles will take a million years. You have to paradigm shift a lot. A LOT.

The one thing I couldn't get over in XII is the horrible low quality of the voice audio tracks. It sounded like they recorded in a tin shed or something. The compression was awful.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I liked 12 and hated 13 so :shobon: I didn't like anything about 13. I liked running around exploring in 12 and the characters were bland but not bad like in 13.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Overbite posted:

I liked 12 and hated 13 so :shobon: I didn't like anything about 13. I liked running around exploring in 12 and the characters were bland but not bad like in 13.

Ashe was the best main character in FF history.

Also I'll never fathom how people can say "there's too much to explore in XII!" I just cannot grasp that concept at all. It's like saying "I was having too much fun!" Apparently a lot of people felt that way which is why we have XIII's hallway dungeons.

Even during my repeat playthroughs I always make sure to explore the Phon Coast and Ozmone Plain and all of them because it's simply addictive just trekking through this great, giant world. It really immerses you in the world in a way no other FF ever has for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I'll never fathom how people can say "there's too much to explore in XII!" I just cannot grasp that concept at all. It's like saying "I was having too much fun!"
Wandering around an open world isn't fun for some people.

Some people like things you don't and dislike things you do. The entire thread will now collapse in on itself from this revelation.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Could still happen, but they're probably focusing on their special PREQUEL TRILOGY right now.
It might have sold "pretty poorly" compared to those three but by no means was it a flop. It sold pretty well.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I'll never fathom how people can say "there's too much to explore in XII!" I just cannot grasp that concept at all. It's like saying "I was having too much fun!" Apparently a lot of people felt that way which is why we have XIII's hallway dungeons.

Even during my repeat playthroughs I always make sure to explore the Phon Coast and Ozmone Plain and all of them because it's simply addictive just trekking through this great, giant world. It really immerses you in the world in a way no other FF ever has for me.

I love open world games but hate being bored. The setting in FFXII was boring. The two areas you mentioned are literally as they sound in their names: a coast and a plain, hardly different from something you'd find in the real world. I felt no real desire to explore anything because of this fact.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Captain Mog posted:

I love open world games but hate being bored. The setting in FFXII was boring. The two areas you mentioned are literally as they sound in their names: a coast and a plain, hardly different from something you'd find in the real world. I felt no real desire to explore anything because of this fact.

FFXII also has unreal locations, like the Pharos or Giruvegan. As someone who loved 12, Giruvegan was my favorite part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maou shoujo posted:

FFXII also has unreal locations, like the Pharos or Giruvegan. As someone who loved 12, Giruvegan was my favorite part.

Giruvegan is definitely where I realized I gave up my last shred of hope that FFXII was going to be fun to explore. Every dungeon in the game consists of giant, repeated and unchanging texture hallways and Giruvegan despite being a mystical unnatural place is just that but without the grey/brown stone walls that dominate the dungeon design until that point.

Pharos is awful, even if mechanically its the most interesting dungeon. The great crystal and its designer can eat me, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cause Reks got owned hard. When Vaan first visited him in the hospital I'm pretty sure his first line of dialogue went something along the lines of "DAAAAAAAAYUUUUUUMMMM"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can understand not liking 12, but thinking that 13 is better? That's crazy talk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

Not that it has much in the way of competition but I really liked the Pharos as a final dungeon. It felt suitiably climactic as you're climbing this huge tower and everything.

For "unreal locations" there was also the Deadlands and Feywood.

And I know XII's soundtrack is one of the many things people look down on it for but it really helped me enjoy a few dungeons.
"To the Place of the Gods" for the Great Crystal
"Stilshrine of Miriam"
"Nabreus Deadlands" (one of my favorite areas and tracks in the whole game)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
FFXIII is weird because they keep throwing out the word hope and imply Hope is attached to it somehow. Final Fantasy needs a character named Reks, because he just plain wrecks it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gologle posted:

FFXIII is weird because they keep throwing out the word hope and imply Hope is attached to it somehow. Final Fantasy needs a character named Reks, because he just plain wrecks it.
Unfortunately, Reks got wrecked.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So is that why most people wanted Vaan to get hit by a van?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can't believe Sabin plays Dhalsim. I would have thought Edgar was into that zoning BS, Sabin should main Zangief.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Let's have some positivity! Uh... FFT is really sick still?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Million Ghosts posted:

I agree on both points

Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the best game in the series.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Million Ghosts posted:

Yes it is. I was just thinking of replaying it for the nth time. Trying to decide on what platform though, since I own them both.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This may come as a surprise to everyone... but, Final Fantasy is good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FFT is cool, but the most fun I've had with it in the past few years is making stupid reskins of party sprites with the FFHacktics utility.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Beef Waifu posted:

This may come as a surprise to everyone... but, Final Fantasy is good.

if you're a dumb baby.

Wait.. is an all mime run even possible? This brand of stupid appeals to me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

FFT is cool, but the most fun I've had with it in the past few years is making stupid reskins of party sprites with the FFHacktics utility.

I haven't used that but I imagine the functionality is similar to the massive GameShark code bank that is(?) on GameFAQs. You could basically edit everyone's sprite and available abilities, including the rather large sets they'd give to enemies.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Million Ghosts posted:

if you're a dumb baby.

Wait.. is an all mime run even possible? This brand of stupid appeals to me.

Mimes can't mimic other Mimes, so you're left with a team with very high PA and HP but no equipment or commands other than attack. Naturally, it's been done before. Every straight class challenge as they're called has been completed before. Even TrueCalc, where you don't get any spells and thus math skill is useless.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I haven't used that but I imagine the functionality is similar to the massive GameShark code bank that is(?) on GameFAQs. You could basically edit everyone's sprite and available abilities, including the rather large sets they'd give to enemies.
Sort of, except way better and easier to use. You can edit any ability, job requirements and stats, item stats, sprites, enemy ai flags, text, and even write entirely new cutscenes if you know the scripting language. I'm not sure if they ever figured out map or music editing but it's been a long time since I used it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=reGGExztnrk

maou shoujo fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 3, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

Let's have some positivity!

Final Fantasy VIII has risen from the game I hated the most to one of my favorite FFs to play.

That's positive. Also miraculous.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy VIII has risen from the game I hated the most to one of my favorite FFs to play.

That's positive. Also miraculous.
You're playing it modded, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah. To me, this is the best use of mods - to improve bad games as opposed to further improve good games. FFVIII had a lot of potential to be good that I never appreciated before I played Requiem and realized the depths of the Refining system and Triple Triad and all that. I still can't remember even half of what turns into what from what card or item.