Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

I got nothing..

Edit: Agreed. Now again, with 10% more crop.

Yeah this is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
20140802 subway market_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:lsd:
The worlds melting and I like it!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sylvan Terrance NYC

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
NKNE0009 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Yep. Very nice! The lines work perfectly here.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Brewfest Security by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

no backs of heads :argh:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Creepy Steve Nash by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Was that shot in Victoria?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VelociBacon posted:

Was that shot in Victoria?

Portland.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Street making GBS threads in process?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Street making GBS threads in process?

Funny you should say that...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Someone had taken a dump in one of the stairwells of the Baltimore Museum of Art when I was there, but I just figured it was a Baltimore thing.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

what the heck?

Is the Singaporean equivalent of planking?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

GG Allin is back

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

try it with a lime posted:

GG Allin is back

There's a documentary on him on YouTube, a real winner if you're into poop and tiny weeners.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

There's a documentary on him on YouTube, a real winner if you're into poop and tiny weeners.

You shouldn't sign your posts.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Subyng posted:

what the heck?

Is the Singaporean equivalent of planking?

No idea, just someone crazy I think.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

alkanphel posted:

No idea, just someone crazy I think.

you, as well, should avoid signing your posts

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype posted:

You shouldn't sign your posts.

Personal branding, its what web 2.0 is all about

Heres some good street photography for content:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/aug/20/fan-ho-hong-kong-street-photography-in-pictures

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Spedman posted:

Personal branding, its what web 2.0 is all about

Heres some good street photography for content:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/aug/20/fan-ho-hong-kong-street-photography-in-pictures

Fan Ho is crazy good. He's the main reason I'm on the hunt for a nice 35mm lens for street photography.

Also, for those who don't know - the shadow in that second image was all added in post. It's a good example of how there's no shame in manufacturing a scene, it's the image that matters!

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 25, 2014

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

Treats by dunos, on Flickr

I wasn't overly comfortable about shooting in Paris - I got the distinct impression that people didn't want to have their photo taken (more so than usual). After a bit of googling I found out that it is very much not the done thing to take photos of people in France without permission. As an example I was allowed to take a photo of the Mona Lisa (everyone was - what a way to ruin an art gallery), but not of the people taking photos of the Mona Lisa

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

dunos posted:

Treats by dunos, on Flickr

"Sacre bleu, 'ave you seen ze prices of zese croissants?"

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Jimlad posted:

Fan Ho is crazy good. He's the main reason I'm on the hunt for a nice 35mm lens for street photography.

Also, for those who don't know - the shadow in that second image was all added in post. It's a good example of how there's no shame in manufacturing a scene, it's the image that matters!

eeeeeeh I don't know, isn't the point of street photography that it isn't manufactured?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

dunos posted:

I wasn't overly comfortable about shooting in Paris - I got the distinct impression that people didn't want to have their photo taken (more so than usual). After a bit of googling I found out that it is very much not the done thing to take photos of people in France without permission. As an example I was allowed to take a photo of the Mona Lisa (everyone was - what a way to ruin an art gallery), but not of the people taking photos of the Mona Lisa

Where did you get this idea from? I've taken 100s of photos of people in Paris (and of the people looking at the Mona Lisa) and only once had a lady say she didn't want to have her photo taken. You may have heard of a guy called Henri Cartier-Bresson who took a lot of photos of people in Paris...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

When you're given the benefit of the doubt of being a clueless tourist do whatever you want.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

When you're given the benefit of the doubt of being a clueless tourist do whatever you want.

one of the few ways saying you're a clueless yank can work to your advantage.

Merica

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Subyng posted:

eeeeeeh I don't know, isn't the point of street photography that it isn't manufactured?

I don't know of a photograph that isn't manufactured in some way. Taking a photo at a certain place at a certain time is setting up the scene. The direction you point the camera in creates the perspective. The lens crops out the unwanted parts of the view. The camera records the quirks of the sensor, adds white balance, noise reduction, any number of modifications to the image. Then the exposure might be tweaked in post, colours changed, sharpening, dodging, burning, etc. How do you define what's "true" and what's "manufactured"? If you're being picky, everything in photography is manufactured, which is why it matters so little.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah all of that is a given but adding a major compositional element like that shadow in post takes it outside the realm of street photography.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Yeah all of that is a given but adding a major compositional element like that shadow in post takes it outside the realm of street photography.

Nah that part's fine, the fact that it's a good photo moves it outside the realm of street photography.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Zzz there are plenty of good street photographs, just not in this thread.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Jimlad posted:

I don't know of a photograph that isn't manufactured in some way. Taking a photo at a certain place at a certain time is setting up the scene. The direction you point the camera in creates the perspective. The lens crops out the unwanted parts of the view. The camera records the quirks of the sensor, adds white balance, noise reduction, any number of modifications to the image. Then the exposure might be tweaked in post, colours changed, sharpening, dodging, burning, etc. How do you define what's "true" and what's "manufactured"? If you're being picky, everything in photography is manufactured, which is why it matters so little.

Just as there are degrees to which one can consider a photograph to be manufactured, there are degrees to which one can consider a photograph to fit within the conventions of a genre. If street photography is meant to capture spontaneous, "real" moments, then I say that a photo with a fake shadow is less true to the genre, even if it stands as an excellent photo regardless of what genre you try to categorize it in. Of course if you don't care about categorizing things into genres then who cares.

I don't disapprove of major post processing if it's done well, but I think what leaves a bad taste in people's mouths is the fact that it's so easy to do. Imagine you had to actually erect a physical wall in order to cast the photo in that picture, and wait for just the right time of day when the shadow lines up correctly. Such a feat definitely would have made me appreciate the photo more. But then again most photos don't come with commentary so does it really matter?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Zzz there are plenty of good street photographs, just not in this thread.

This is a fair point.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies

deaders posted:

Where did you get this idea from? I've taken 100s of photos of people in Paris (and of the people looking at the Mona Lisa) and only once had a lady say she didn't want to have her photo taken. You may have heard of a guy called Henri Cartier-Bresson who took a lot of photos of people in Paris...

I got this idea from my own experience over the weekend where a smile after pressing the shutter was not placating people as much as it would in other cities I have visited. That plus the security in the Louvre who told me that I couldn't take photos of people (but could take photos of the art). I then googled and came up with a range of reports about how some French law has made it all a bit more complicated. This is just one of the articles I came across:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/paris-city-of-rights/

I am pretty good at playing the clueless tourist and I didn't get a negative reaction in heavily touristed areas.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm not a street photographer, but I took some photos recently.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
A few I've done lately:

Lime Saleswoman by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Determination by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Also, I'm not sure time-lapse photography is alright here, but it is street photography in this case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linUghmabxU

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 27, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yup those certainly are street thread photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If your photographs aren't boring enough, you're not far enough.