Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
You are not helping, Tekopo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

You are not helping, Tekopo.
Oh btw...

Clip your counters :v:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Fat Samurai why is that OP still in the Sandcastle I wanna die horribly lead the glorious LPwaffe to victory.

Seriously, I'm so hyped about this, you have no idea.

EDIT: I also feel obliged to add that up until now I did not think you really had it in you, and expected all those mentions to be mere bluster.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 25, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Be a man, start with the Korean campaign.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
By the way, I managed to make a ghetto corner cutter with a nailclipper, a paperclip and some electrician's tape. I clipped all of Unconditional Surrender with it, highly recommended.

Then I clipped Field Commander: Napoleon :negative:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morholt posted:

By the way, I managed to make a ghetto corner cutter with a nailclipper, a paperclip and some electrician's tape. I clipped all of Unconditional Surrender with it, highly recommended.

Then I clipped Field Commander: Napoleon :negative:

Corner cutting is addictive in a really strange way, I approve.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Tekopo posted:

I'm weirdly proud of my corner clipped and bead boxed Space Empires stuff. Now I just need to laminate some production sheets so I don't have to worry about running out of them! :toot:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Clip your counters :v:

I already have, but I'm not taking photos of the board this time around. It's not as if I can clip the corners of a digital counter.

gently caress.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Crop your counters :v:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What's everyone's thoughts on how World At War has aged? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting some grand strategic games soon, most likely TK, but keeping that option open for later.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

I've actually been forfeiting other fun activities to clip counters, and when I'm not clipping them I keep wishing I was.

You monster, Tekopo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Trynant posted:

I've actually been forfeiting other fun activities to clip counters, and when I'm not clipping them I keep wishing I was.

You monster, Tekopo.
Don't blame me, blame Paper Mac!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Zombie #246 posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on how World At War has aged? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting some grand strategic games soon, most likely TK, but keeping that option open for later.

I'll let you know when I'm done reading the 200+ pages of rules and organizing the players and game space needed for the days of game play.

EDIT: Although I did look up some comments on the game and there seems to be a resounding "this game is a monster."

Trynant fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 26, 2014

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Zombie #246 posted:

Well, I love monsters and I wasn't a fan of it when it came out. Way too many rules, any of which can have a dramatic impact on the game. Games ended up boiling down to which person remembered the most obscure rules and/or figured out the most non-obvious rule interactions. Third Reich was a really good base, but when you pile a mountain of chrome on top of it you end up with crap.

EDIT: For example, here is the table (not the rules, the table) for diplomacy with Sweden. Woe to Germany if they don't put enough diplomatic points into Sweden, because taking a 5 point hit on your build limit is fairly crippling in the early game. Each neutral country has a similar table with similar game altering effects.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 26, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Unconditional Surrender Session 2 Report:

Short session as Tekopo couldn't join, so I took command of the ever-victorious armies of the French Republic in his stead.

France Falls.

Greece joins on the Axis side, and the Soviets finish up digesting the Baltic States.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody have any experience with Blood & Sand? I impulse-bought it today on the Miniature Market daily deal ($15).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Progress!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well, it's official, the next COIN P500 game is up... Gallic War :stare:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-503-gallic-war.aspx

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

And preordered. drat you GMT!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

This is probably the first COIN that I won't actually buy. I might be interested in playing it but the era/war doesn't have much of an interest for me, really.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what the Philippine one will be about. Counterinsurgency implies either the Filipino American war at the turn of the 20th century or against the Communist Huks in the 50s, but I couldn't think of a 4th faction after the US, the insurgency and the national government

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Progress!
Have you had the western turn yet? Because you should really cover the west of italy and pull back the line, also send one of the british convoys to italy to feed the BEF.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'd really like to use the COIN system to do a space themed sci-fi game using a theme I've been tinkering with for a couple of years, but I don't know how game system IPs work.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Dune?

Now i want a Dune COIN game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Dune?

It's actually about asteroid mining and the battles fought between conglomerates on the asteroids. COIN would work very well I think.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
A reimplementation of Dune using COIN mechanics? I'd play it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Oldstench posted:

I'd really like to use the COIN system to do a space themed sci-fi game using a theme I've been tinkering with for a couple of years, but I don't know how game system IPs work.

Mechanics aren't copyrighted, so go ahead.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Unless you want to sell the game, nobody cares. When you do, at least ask Volko Ruhnke nicely if you can use his system first, but then the best way to sidestep any issues there is to simply ask GMT to publish.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thunderbolt Apache Leader is a beautiful game, but once again I was decimated by day two. Toddy I tried Libya 1984 / general war with two A10s and 2 AH1's. I think choosing two A10s will always leave you short SO points. Next time I may choose a single A10, 2 AH1's and an F16 so I have points to repair aircraft and upgrade pilots.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Factions: Caesar, Vercingetorix, Ariovistus, Asterix

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm intrigued that in addition to the legions, Romans have auxilia troops that look exactly like the gaellic "insurgents". And apparently NPC Germani. And two different shapes of "base" tokens. And those big dong tokens, for chieftains or whatever.

What I'm trying to say is that it's cool they're apparently shaking up the formula.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm intrigued that in addition to the legions, Romans have auxilia troops that look exactly like the gaellic "insurgents". And apparently NPC Germani. And two different shapes of "base" tokens. And those big dong tokens, for chieftains or whatever.

What I'm trying to say is that it's cool they're apparently shaking up the formula.

Every game has tended to do pretty unique things with the formula I think - CL had the cash pieces, ADP had the Coalition player spending Government resources, FitL has cube-on-cube action and government guerillas. It's one of the strengths of the series that the system is flexible enough to handle playing with the rules like that - its honestly getting pretty close to being a genre; I'd argue that the "CDG" genre that tends to be defined by ops/event cards and point to point maps (I know they don't all fit that but it's a nice short baseline definition) has a similar definitional scope to what we would call the "COIN" genre of face up cards with ordered actions and cylinder/cube troop system.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I dunno, I've felt the scope of differences is what I'd expect from a series that does major locale changes - say, what I'd expect from an Eastern Front game getting a sequel set in Mediterranean or the Korean War. I mean, there' a gimmick money-making Cartel and a gimmick money-making Syndicate and they work a bit differently, but it's not exactly hard to see parallels.

Mind you, this is not an attack on those games nor do I want to imply they're samey. The games released so far (and the Fire in the Lake) were mostly toying with different interesting dynamics, and I'm talking about mechanical kind of twists on the system that make you go whooooooa about what you what was core gameplay. I mean, you've bought We the People and thought you know exactly what a CDG is and then Hannibal comes along and whooooa there's OPs and Events on the same cards and you have to choose and whoooa what the gently caress there's this tankless cold war game where you use opponent's cards.

Gallic Wars has quite a few new elements, lacks some familiar ones (pipelines/roads/whatever, possibly no boxes to count autowins by placing bases?) and is obviously most thematically different. So I think this release just might temporarily satiate my lust for new gimmicks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fat Samurai posted:

Dune?

Fremen/Harkonnen/Imperials/Smugglers, i could see it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

'sup?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
gently caress y'all with stable wargaming groups, talking about playing every COIN and stuff. I bought Cuba Libre a year ago because I'm autistic and it looked cool and I wanted a CDG that played 4 and didn't take forever, but I still haven't figured out how to convince my casual boardgaming friends to play it with me.

I wish I had friends dedicated/interested enough in this poo poo to read the rules before hand. Would make my life waaaaaaaay easier. Teaching wargames is a serious pain in the rear end.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

attackmole posted:

gently caress y'all with stable wargaming groups, talking about playing every COIN and stuff. I bought Cuba Libre a year ago because I'm autistic and it looked cool and I wanted a CDG that played 4 and didn't take forever, but I still haven't figured out how to convince my casual boardgaming friends to play it with me.

I wish I had friends dedicated/interested enough in this poo poo to read the rules before hand. Would make my life waaaaaaaay easier. Teaching wargames is a serious pain in the rear end.

I'll play with you on Vassal w/Skype chit chat if you're interested.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

attackmole posted:

The only COIN games I've played are solitaire and a few games on VASSAL that never got finished (but were still fun) :ssh:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I bought Unconditional Surrender and spent some time today playing the Barbarossa scenario. It's a very interesting game, I like the relative simplicity of the rules and I love combat where I don't need to count combat factors to maximize my odds. I'm bit worried that the large unit scale might lead to gamey moves but so far there's been nothing too weird. The turns are also taking me surprisingly long time considering how little units there are, but I guess you do need to think every move pretty carefully. Overall I like it and I do want to play the full campaign eventually, but at the same time I think I still like Totaler Krieg AE more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The scale works for its intended purpose and the half-sticky EZOCs work well. For me, what work REALLY well and even better than TK is the use of the panzers: you seem to be able to replicate maneuvers much better than the two impulse system of TK. The turns do take long because you have to activate each unit separately rather than the standard move/combat of most other games. I have to say that I somewhat like the economic system/diplomacy of TK better though. Overall I'm really unsure of which one I like more: I feel USE is easier to play and less fiddly but at the same time it doesn't feel as wild and full of possibilities like TK.