Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I bought a TP-LINK TL-WDN3200 (Ralink RT5572), for Debian server that previously bridged through a 5GHz supporting access point because the amount of interference on the 2.4GHz band is really bad where I live. It worked out of the box but it can't see or connect to any 5GHz networks. 'iw list' dumps a whole bunch of information that seems to indicate 5GHz support, 'Band 2', is disabled? I'm completely lost and Google has nothing.

I got it cheap so if anyone has any better recommendations please let me know, I wouldn't be above giving up on it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
How come this tutorial uses mkfs /dev/sdb but other tutorials use /dev/sdb1? Shouldn't you always have to use the partition (/dev/sdb1)?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fletcher posted:

How come this tutorial uses mkfs /dev/sdb but other tutorials use /dev/sdb1? Shouldn't you always have to use the partition (/dev/sdb1)?

Nope. Raw disk is fine

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

evol262 posted:

Nope. Raw disk is fine

Heck you can mkfs a big file and mount it if you want, always remember in linux. EVERYTHING IS A FILE.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

Heck you can mkfs a big file and mount it if you want, always remember in linux. EVERYTHING IS A FILE.

Not as true as it used to be. Everything has a fd, though you can't really treat everything as a file anymore.

You can totally mkfs or mkswap a file or even set up LVM on a loopbacked file.

Plan9, though...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My desktop PC needs to run Linux. It boots into Steam's big picture mode (with exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session steam -bigpicture in xinitrc). PulseAudio starts correctly and presumable D-Bus does too, but there's no audio despite Steam properly recognizing the sound server. The hard part is that I need to debug it from outside of the X session. Where can I start?

Nothing is muted in Steam or alsamixer, but I've known Pulse to mute specific programs before; how can I check from the console? There's nothing interesting in dmesg or Xorg.log and speaker-test works, so I'm confident that the problem is PulseAudio and not hardware or ALSA. Is the init process incorrect?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xtal posted:

My desktop PC needs to run Linux. It boots into Steam's big picture mode (with exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session steam -bigpicture in xinitrc). PulseAudio starts correctly and presumable D-Bus does too, but there's no audio despite Steam properly recognizing the sound server. The hard part is that I need to debug it from outside of the X session. Where can I start?

Nothing is muted in Steam or alsamixer, but I've known Pulse to mute specific programs before; how can I check from the console? There's nothing interesting in dmesg or Xorg.log and speaker-test works, so I'm confident that the problem is PulseAudio and not hardware or ALSA. Is the init process incorrect?

It's probably not pulse, but you can ssh in and aplay or use a TCP pulse sink or otherwise.

Also, alsamixer is not a reliable way to check unless alsa is your only sink, and maybe not even then. man pacmd.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

evol262 posted:

It's probably not pulse, but you can ssh in and aplay or use a TCP pulse sink or otherwise.

Also, alsamixer is not a reliable way to check unless alsa is your only sink, and maybe not even then. man pacmd.

I fixed this by putting pulseaudio -D in my xinitrc. I guess it wasn't being started before Steam.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xtal posted:

What distro and DE are you using? Also, is there a reason for using Big Picture mode at startup? I've been running Steam without a hitch for months, and my sound has always been fine. This machine is running openSUSE 12.3 KDE and PulseAudio off the mobo's Intel sound.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What distro and DE are you using? Also, is there a reason for using Big Picture mode at startup? I've been running Steam without a hitch for months, and my sound has always been fine. This machine is running openSUSE 12.3 KDE and PulseAudio off the mobo's Intel sound.

Arch Linux and none. I'm using Big Picture at startup because I'm basically using the PC as a DIY game console. It automatically logs in and automatically starts Big Picture, so I guess that's effectively the DE. But it doesn't look like Pulse or Steam were the problem per se, Steam was just started before PulseAudio and that was the problem. Starting Steam after Pulse (by any means) makes it work. Thanks for the replies.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I am back from France bearing a gift.

http://funny.computer/linux/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, I'm leaving Red Hat at the end of the month. This isn't technically public yet, so evol262, don't go around telling everyone at the office yet. I will announce it publicly in a few weeks.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, I'm leaving Red Hat at the end of the month. This isn't technically public yet, so evol262, don't go around telling everyone at the office yet. I will announce it publicly in a few weeks.

Who am I gonna tell? I'm neck deep in rhel7 bugs anyway...

Sad to see you go, but I'm assuming your involvement with gnome will continue so we can still harass you here :)

E: accidentally a sentence. Meant to say that I'm only in an office about once a year

evol262 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 3, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

Who am I gonna tell?

memo-list?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm trying to figure out how to make postfix work and I'm way in over my head as I barely understand Linux. I'm using Ubuntu.

I can successfully send an email from root to root, so that's kind of cool, but other than that nothing seems to work.

I tried to create an account with
code:
useradd test1 -s /sbin/nologin
because that's what I found in my RedHat book.

I think I should be able to send mail to that account by typing mail test1
But when I try to check it using mail -u test1 I get 0 messages.

There's a decent chance my main.cf file is messed up but I'm trying to figure out if the problems are from me typing commands incorrectly or the configuration somewhere.

I found a way to verify my setup by telnetting to port 25 and using EHLO. I don't know what that did but my output looked like what's in the book.

I just want to put something other than my personal email address on my website. :saddowns:

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Hosting your own email is pretty much never worth the trouble. Pay five bucks for Google Apps.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wait for Postfix to die and OpenSMTPD to be ready. Postfix is like the baby boomer generation of SMTP daemons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you want a useable mail server and not just one that provides a maildir you should use dovecot, that way you can have pop3 and imap access. You will still need to use and configure an MTA like postfix because postfix (or another mail server) will do the actual sending and receiving of mail, but dovecot will handle your email client (like thunderbird or outlook or whatever).

You should also take a look at roundcube if you want webmail access.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 3, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spankmeister posted:

If you want a useable mail server and not just one that provides a maildir you should use dovecot, that way you can have pop3 and imap access. You will still need to use and configure an MTA like postfix because postfix (or another mail server) will do the actual sending and receiving of mail, but dovecot will handle your email client (like thunderbird or outlook or whatever).

You should also take a look at roundcube if you want webmail access.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow! Thanks :)

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to make postfix work and I'm way in over my head as I barely understand Linux. I'm using Ubuntu.

I think I should be able to send mail to that account by typing mail test1
But when I try to check it using mail -u test1 I get 0 messages.

I found a way to verify my setup by telnetting to port 25 and using EHLO. I don't know what that did but my output looked like what's in the book.

Run "postconf" without any options (or "postconf -f" to wrap long lines for convenience). It will display your effective Postfix main.cf configuration, and will report if there are any errors.

Run "mailq" to display the mail processing queue status: if your test messages are stuck in the mail queue for some reason, you will see that.

There is a mail logfile, usually named /var/log/mail.log or something similar. Check it out before and after trying to send a message. Usually there will be more than one line per mail message. If you cannot make sense of the log, please post the log messages, so we can try and decipher them for you.

Oh, and when sending mail with "mail test1", unless you're piping in the text of the message, you should press Control-D after you're done typing the message. If you press Control-C, the message will be aborted without sending.

Telnetting to port 25 and using EHLO is just a first step of the test. It proves the mail server is listening in port 25. But most modern Linux distributions have port 25 enabled for local traffic only by default (and that's fine if you only want to send messages, not receive anything from the outside world).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am back from France bearing a gift.

http://funny.computer/linux/

How long until plymouth supports this as the mandatory bootsplash for Fedora?

xtal posted:

Wait for Postfix to die and OpenSMTPD to be ready. Postfix is like the baby boomer generation of SMTP daemons.

I run exim4 (on Debian) at the moment, and it has given me significantly less grief than postfix ever has, for whatever that is worth.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
How risky, in practice, is moving /home from a folder to its own partition on an already setup system? Is it worth the hassle or would it just be better to backup, start clean and restore the backup?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

How risky, in practice, is moving /home from a folder to its own partition on an already setup system? Is it worth the hassle or would it just be better to backup, start clean and restore the backup?

Not risky at all since the home folder isn't really important for the system itself, just for the users. It's actually better to have home on a separate partition because it means users' data can't fill up the root file system.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

Not that risky, I've done this before using one of these two ways:

Reboot into single-user mode, then do the move. This makes sure nothing in /home is open.

Can't, or don't want to go to single-user mode? Login as root, make sure nothing in /home is open (lsof, fopen), then do the move.

Either way, it's pretty simple.

Edit: e;fb

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

xdice posted:

Not that risky, I've done this before using one of these two ways:

Reboot into single-user mode, then do the move. This makes sure nothing in /home is open.

Can't, or don't want to go to single-user mode? Login as root, make sure nothing in /home is open (lsof, fopen), then do the move.

Either way, it's pretty simple.

Edit: e;fb

spankmeister posted:

Not risky at all since the home folder isn't really important for the system itself, just for the users. It's actually better to have home on a separate partition because it means users' data can't fill up the root file system.

Thanks guys, so realistically I can just boot from a live disk, shrink the root partition, make one for /home and move the users folders into there?

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

Thanks guys, so realistically I can just boot from a live disk, shrink the root partition, make one for /home and move the users folders into there?

Yes.

Shrinking the root partition does introduce a little more risk, but nothing I'd worry too much about (especially if you have backups.).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't forget to edit your fstab.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hollow Talk posted:

How long until plymouth supports this as the mandatory bootsplash for Fedora?

To get the full experience, we'd have to put PulseAudio in the initrd, which would make a bunch of people angry. So, give it until Fedora 22, I'd say?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

telcoM posted:

Run "postconf"
Run "mailq"
There is a mail logfile, usually named /var/log/mail.log
press Control-D
Telnetting to port 25 and using EHLO is just a first step of the test. It proves the mail server is listening in port 25. But most modern Linux distributions have port 25 enabled for local traffic only by default (and that's fine if you only want to send messages, not receive anything from the outside world).

This was all gold! I already figured out the ctrl-D thing on my own (eventually)

mailq was handy because it revealed all my lost emails and gave me a googleable problem. Cannot update mailbox for user... Not owned by user.

I used chown to change the ownership and now internal mail works.

Now to set up external mail!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

NOTinuyasha posted:

I got it cheap so if anyone has any better recommendations please let me know, I wouldn't be above giving up on it at this point.

Ok, I'm down to this. A 5GHz 802.11n USB adapter that works with Linux, I can't find any confirmed reports of any working. Is the state of wireless on Linux really this terrible?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
How would I go about grepping in files for any values within a range?

Specifically I have a load of disparate log files which have unix timestamps in them, and need all entries between two times.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You'll have to use regular expressions with egrep or awk.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Normal globbing will be fine if it's epoch time. Post an example.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Ok, I'm down to this. A 5GHz 802.11n USB adapter that works with Linux, I can't find any confirmed reports of any working. Is the state of wireless on Linux really this terrible?
No. Find a device you like, figure out the chipset, look up support. Some realtek stuff should work with 5ghz, and there are definitely AC chipsets working. Even USB.

People report what works with chipsets, generally, not specific devices.

What do you mean by "works", though? Out of box? Do you mind compiling your own driver? Is this for a Raspberry Pi or some other strange arch?

evol262 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh yeah timestamps, glossed over that part.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
So, for example, I'd wanna see all files in a folder that have an event that occurs between 1406160000 and 1406764799 (Midnight of 24th July to 23:59:59 of the 30th July)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Experto Crede posted:

So, for example, I'd wanna see all files in a folder that have an event that occurs between 1406160000 and 1406764799 (Midnight of 24th July to 23:59:59 of the 30th July)

ls -l --time-style="+%s" | grep 1406[0-7]

You can narrow it down more if you want.

man 7 glob

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My media server is running ubuntu desktop and everything's great except that if I turn the monitor off for an extended period, when I turn the monitor back on I just get a blank screen and moving the mouse and mashing keys won't bring back the login screen (but the monitor light is green, where it'd be flashing yellow if it was unplugged or something). Any ideas how I can get the desktop back via SSH without rebooting?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

evol262 posted:

No. Find a device you like, figure out the chipset, look up support. Some realtek stuff should work with 5ghz, and there are definitely AC chipsets working. Even USB.

People report what works with chipsets, generally, not specific devices.

What do you mean by "works", though? Out of box? Do you mind compiling your own driver? Is this for a Raspberry Pi or some other strange arch?

I did that, ensured I had a kernel with the proper support loaded, and it recognized it out of the box, but I can't get it to work in 5GHz mode. I ultimately concluded from random forum posts that the rt2800usb module is poo poo and doesn't support dual band for some reason.

And it's not for a Pi, just an old laptop.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

My media server is running ubuntu desktop and everything's great except that if I turn the monitor off for an extended period, when I turn the monitor back on I just get a blank screen and moving the mouse and mashing keys won't bring back the login screen (but the monitor light is green, where it'd be flashing yellow if it was unplugged or something). Any ideas how I can get the desktop back via SSH without rebooting?

You can use "sudo service lightdm restart" (if you use something other than the default unity desktop then you have to figure out which display manager you are using and restart that service instead) but this isn't a suitable alternative to fixing the underlying problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NOTinuyasha posted:

I did that, ensured I had a kernel with the proper support loaded, and it recognized it out of the box, but I can't get it to work in 5GHz mode. I ultimately concluded from random forum posts that the rt2800usb module is poo poo and doesn't support dual band for some reason.

And it's not for a Pi, just an old laptop.
Realtek is pretty much always crap. Atheros is pretty safe.

AC will be a lot easier to find these days.