Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

All players are retained. Anyone who says otherwise lives on an island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chairface posted:

All players are retained. Anyone who says otherwise lives on an island.

Probably that island next to the shipwreck on that damned forest map.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

DKWildz posted:

I love Battletech, but goddamn I don't think there will ever be another good game made for it.

Battletech & Shadowrun are destined to have lovely PC game releases. It's been over a decade since the last decent Battletech IP release, and that was mostly salvaged due to the fan community support from MekTek. The post earlier that said this felt like they were in the middle of creating a campaign then b-lined to some WOT knock-off f2p garbage was spot on.

FASA IP's really are cursed to live a life of mediocrity in the electronic modern era. When the father of FASA is happy with shipping mediocre junk you know there is zero hope for the foreseeable future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DarkStryke posted:

FASA IP's really are cursed to live a life of mediocrity in the electronic modern era. When the father of FASA is happy with shipping mediocre junk you know there is zero hope for the foreseeable future.

At least those two are alive and doing well enough in tabletop format, meaning there will always be interest in a videogame version, and maybe one day one will be awesome.

Meanwhile Crimson Skies is rotting, forgotten in the corner. Then again, maybe that is a fate better than MWO. :sigh:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

DarkStryke posted:

It's been over a decade since the last decent Battletech IP release, and that was mostly salvaged due to the fan community support from MekTek.

Is there a place where folks can get together and arrange some MW4:Mercs/MekTek games? It's still working (well) on GameRanger, but nobody's online. :(

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I had a lot of fun a year~? ish or so ago playing a Stalker with something like 6 PPC's that could kill most mechs in a single alpha strike. My friend told me this game was good again--what are the obnoxious alpha strike builds du jour?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Is there a place where folks can get together and arrange some MW4:Mercs/MekTek games? It's still working (well) on GameRanger, but nobody's online. :(

your best bet for this is hitting the #retrochat irc channel.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sharzak posted:

I had a lot of fun a year~? ish or so ago playing a Stalker with something like 6 PPC's that could kill most mechs in a single alpha strike. My friend told me this game was good again--what are the obnoxious alpha strike builds du jour?

Ghost heat killed all your mechs

I'm sure you can build a sick rad alpha strike clan mech, but half the thread can't be bothered to run the math since it will make us all angry again. Also you probably have to spend money to make it happen.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

BULBASAUR posted:

Ghost heat killed all your mechs

I'm sure you can build a sick rad alpha strike clan mech, but half the thread can't be bothered to run the math since it will make us all angry again. Also you probably have to spend money to make it happen.

You can if you go for brawler. Timber/Dire Wolf are especially good with alpha strike brawler build, and they will rip anything to shreds so fast.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

2 ERPPC 2 Gauss Daishi

2 ERPPC 1 Gauss Madcat

Gaussapult/2 ERPPC 1 Guass Catapault

Comedy option: 8 PPC Battlemaster

For the auctual builds go to http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/ and look for your mech/variant. I have found the five star builds to be fairly competent.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Sharzak posted:

There is no point to this game. Your friend may think this game is fun, but unless you can honestly:

1- Spend hours repeating the same 1.5 game modes
2- Drive robots that are inherently disadvantaged
3- Not spend $ in a "F2P" game to compete with people who did
4- Abide missing basic features of beta release software a year after "launch"
5- Be hating all forms of rational thought and logic to support your ideas
6- Consider canon TT rules infallible despite the medium or application, while giving all your players clan Dashi's for hand jobs under the table

You will not like this game after a night.

The best alpha builds are apparently LRM heavy (inaccurate/random damage), lots of random long range energy weapons ($$$clans$$$ only), or 2 gauss (meh).

Your friend is also, quite possibly, an rear end in a top hat just trying to gently caress with you.

E: Aesis would know builds far better than I. Since I don't play and rely on rumors, heresay, and bitterly colored goggles to form my opinion.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 3, 2014

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
gently caress this thread for reminding me about MWO.

The closed beta to early open beta days were some of the most fun times I ever had playing video games with Internet bros. Only tied way back in the day with Chromehounds before that went to poo poo and died.

Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be mech stompymech enthusiasts. There's nothing but heartbreak down that path.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

quote:

Hey folks,

I'm going to pre-empt the concern that nothing has happened with the PPC/Gauss combination in the game and Russ mentioning work being done on it for this patch.

The new firing mechanic that Russ was mentioning is indeed in the game right now but it is set to off. The reason for this is that it's a very complex active system which is going to directly affect your weapon triggering. Yes we have complex systems in the game like Heat Scale but Heat Scale is passive. There's a big difference in a player's experience when the active triggering mechanism is changed, much like the Gauss Charge. The Gauss Charge however is a single stage active change, the Gauss/PPC system that is on hold right now is a 3 stage active change.

The Mechanic:
A Gauss Rifle is a charging weapon.
A PPC is a heavy energy draw weapon.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 1 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot cannot fire both PPCs simultaneously.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 2 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
If the pilot charges 2 Gauss Rifles, no PPCs will be able to fire.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.
We are in constant talks about this and MIGHT bring it on-line on the Public Test Server for you to provide feedback and thoughts on the mechanic.

One of the other solutions I've been looking at is slowing down the PPC projectile. What this gains is the ability of a target 'Mech to spread incoming damage more effectively by twisting its torso out of the line of fire. The number I've been toying with is 750m/s for PPCs and 850m/s ERPPCs(IS and Clan). Now if you're wondering what the current speed is, it is 1500m/s. So yes... that is a 50% decrease in projectile speed for PPCs.

What this translated into is that at 1000m, the PPC projectile hits its target just under 1 second after a simultaneously fired Gauss round. At 500m, it is around 1/4 of a second. Optimal target distance for the PPC/Gauss combo falls into the 600-700m range which allows enemy 'Mechs to close the gap a little easier vs PPC equipped 'Mechs. This also means that the PPC/AC20/AC10 combinations will be affected as well. A 50% decrease in projectile speed seems overly excessive but it really does bring the feel of the PPC/Gauss combo back into alignment with the rest of the game.

I'd like to, at this time, ask that you give your thoughts on these two solutions in the feedback thread for this post. Please keep in mind that the numbers listed in this post are testing values only and not the final, to be put into game numbers.

I understand that that both of these mechanics seem fairly heavy handed but it's time to bring this weapon combo into alignment with the other combinations of weapons.

This deserves to be posted every time someone thinks about playing.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tbh PPC meta for IS mechs is still solid except it's been getting a steady indirect nerf (Jumpjet nerf, Ghost Heat, further nerf may be incoming). PGI may be looking to nerf ballistics as well because of PPC/Ballistics meta. Obviously PGI doesn't have a clue when it comes to balancing. LRM on IS mechs is somewhat viable because most Clan mechs don't come with AMS on their Prime variant.

The problem is that many newer maps favour long range weapons to wear down enemy due to the size of map and openness of terrain with lacking cover, unless it is a city map.

Clan mechs with lasers and LRM rock because of these features (hence why Timber Wolf is popular as well for those who spent $$$), and for close range brawl Clan mechs again excel with brawl build because of their number of hardpoints. Who cares about heat when you can destroy a mech fast before you overheat (or use coolant)? Also heavy/assault Clan mechs are fast enough to close in on distance.

This leaves IS mechs with limited choice of PPC/Ballistics build because at close range IS mechs stand no chance (even Atlas will melt in 15 seconds), and at long range choice of weapons are limited now. So whether you like it or not you will end up following meta just to stand a chance against Clan mechs.

I have Timber Wolf and I enjoy games using it, but with IS mechs it can be hell. If you love brawling then you will be disappointed using IS mechs atm, but if you've been using Gausspult for everything from sniping to brawling like me then it makes no difference apart from the fact that brawling is more dangerous now.

TLDR: Alpha meta is the new thing and Clan mechs will shred IS mechs with ease on this category so your only option with IS mechs is med-long range shootout.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2014

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

koolkal posted:

This deserves to be posted every time someone thinks about playing.

quote:

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

Somebody took that seriously as a design write-up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Can MWLL be restarted? I thought their shut down was voluntary.

I can't believe PGI still makes money from this train wreck.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I think it was voluntary in that they could choose to stop or choose to be served with a C&D notice.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So what is the role of medium mechs at the moment. The MM seems to force a certain team composition, so no team is gimped by not bringing enough heavies/assaults, but the mediums themselves still feel like 2nd rate mechs that are just there because they exist in tabletop and therefore have to be included in the game. Am I missing something, or are medium pilots are just there to feed the actual heroes of the match in their Dire and Timber Wolfs?

And yes, I still got it installed and patched it up recently cause I am a giant Idiot.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Clan mediums: Bring lots of weapons and pew pew like they're heavies. Warhawk is pretty good afaik.

IS mediums: get hosed trying to brawl, or try to snipe it out like Cicada :suicide:

Clan mechs have superior firepower, and with everyone preferring high alpha with clan mechs mediums will die so fast.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/495444412411813889

Russ posted:

So I should be able to announce a patch date for CW module 1 - Merc corp creation Tuesday.

well I'm really confirming that it will indeed release on Aug 19th!

So, Merc corp creation. That means actual units/'clans' that you can tag up with? That's cool. Basic social stuff being implemented two years into development and being announced as a part of Community Warfare? Alright.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The amount of time it takes them to work on the basic parts of the game make sense when you realize they code by sitting around a huge table with a big projector screen showing the file they are currently working on. One guy controls the mouse X axis, another controls the Y, one guy has right-click, another has left-click, each keyboard button is assigned to one coder.

Then they decide what to do by having an open and fair discussion and vote over each mouse movement and keypress.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

novaSphere posted:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/495444412411813889

So, Merc corp creation. That means actual units/'clans' that you can tag up with? That's cool. Basic social stuff being implemented two years into development and being announced as a part of Community Warfare? Alright.

After two years, good luck forming a merc corp: You have to get together 12 players at the same time and have each of them buy a Mercenary Review Authorization item worth 18 million c-bills before you can click a button that lets you create the group.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Then they decide what to do by having an open and fair discussion and vote over each mouse movement and keypress.

Twitch Plays PGI

It would solve all transparency issues and probably generate content at a faster pace to boot :q:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pixelbaron posted:

After two years, good luck forming a merc corp: You have to get together 12 players at the same time and have each of them buy a Mercenary Review Authorization item worth 18 million c-bills before you can click a button that lets you create the group.

I doubt it will be in c-bills. Probably need the real-money credits. (MC?) At least for the founder.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I doubt it will be in c-bills. Probably need the real-money credits. (MC?) At least for the founder.

Was laid out here almost a year ago bahahaha

Yeah, I am sure it could change. Their position at the time and all that.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

novaSphere posted:

Twitch Plays PGI

It would solve all transparency issues and probably generate content at a faster pace to boot :q:

I can't wait till they implement ghost democracy to prevent people from spamming start9.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pixelbaron posted:

Was laid out here almost a year ago bahahaha

Yeah, I am sure it could change. Their position at the time and all that.

Hah, wow. I'm actually surprised at that. They generally try to do MC first with everything. I also haven't seen that post, and I've generally tried to keep up with the state of the game.

What a lovely money sink for new players though. Isn't that number most of the cadet bonus? It says you need only about 2 hours playtime to be the level to do it, so you'll likely be in the cadet range still.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hah, wow. I'm actually surprised at that. They generally try to do MC first with everything. I also haven't seen that post, and I've generally tried to keep up with the state of the game.

What a lovely money sink for new players though. Isn't that number most of the cadet bonus? It says you need only about 2 hours playtime to be the level to do it, so you'll likely be in the cadet range still.

Once a group is formed you won't need to pay to join it, if I remember correctly. It's only a cbill sink for the people that set it up.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Durendal posted:

2 ERPPC 2 Gauss Daishi

2 ERPPC 1 Gauss Madcat

Gaussapult/2 ERPPC 1 Guass Catapault

Comedy option: 8 PPC Battlemaster

For the auctual builds go to http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/ and look for your mech/variant. I have found the five star builds to be fairly competent.

Back when I played, it seemed like they were very careful never to release an Assault Mech that had the hardpoints to mount twin Gauss Rifles, presumably because they knew what would happen if they did.

So of course the Clanners get one for $50 that can also throw on a pair of ERPPCs, because suck it playerbase.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DOUBLE POST, EXTRA HEAT GENERATED

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So where do the bros from the_nest congregate now that the jabber's gone and such? Am I going to have to give a poo poo about Star Citizen?

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Biggest problem I have with MWO is they made MWLL close up shop. I don't buy that "it's all totally fine we're complying happily" line for a second. :mad:

For those who were wondering if this was official or just conjecture, I had a chat with one of the MWLL devs on the Star Citizen forums earlier this year. :smith:

EDIT: On second thought, PM me if you want proof. Best not to put it out there lest there be legal consequences considering they squashed it with an "official narrative".

chairface posted:

So where do the bros from the_nest congregate now that the jabber's gone and such? Am I going to have to give a poo poo about Star Citizen?

Pretty much, all WoL refugees now sigh and realize we were duped again by CRoberts. On the plus side, the SC community is even more hilarious than the MWO community. We all jabber/forum/mumble with our fabulous new SC-related infrastructure.

https://www.goonrathi.com dun dun

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 3, 2014

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
I picked this up again last week since I had been a founder and played in the beta and wanted to check it out on my new gaming rig. It's really bad, the UI loving blows compared to what it was, and clan mechs really are p2w. I was able to kill a Dire Wolf in my Atlas only because it was 2v1 and I had ambushed it from behind, any other style of fight against a clan mech is ridiculously in their favor. It's still decent fun for a free game but I'm really upset with the direction this game has gone.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

armchairyoda posted:

Somebody took that seriously as a design write-up.

Reminder that the 2PPC1gauss combo was countered with other close ranger high alpha builds like SRMboat, AC20boat and LLboat. But the snipers whined about the close range brawlers so they nerfed it making the sniper build king of poo poo mountain. The only explanation I could come up with is PGI despised this game and how much it feels nothing like the TT so they could not have any fun or measure fun at all at how the game is played. With the amount of rules they had to invent for each weapon load out they might as well write a book on a new TT game.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Well because you bastards had to go and bring this up again, I've made myself "retained". Still have some funbucks left from my Founders package, so I bought a Nova-Prime. I knew ghost heat would gently caress it over entirely, but I wanted to see how bad.

With the default load out on Forest Colony, a single alpha strike while running will set your CT to orange. The second one makes you explode.

On Caustic Valley, the first alpha strike sets you to red, and, of course, the second explodes you. But! You can also explode yourself in about 3 seconds by firing a single Alpha strike, overriding the shutdown, and continuing to move forward. No need to fire the second volley. Incidentally after you fire that first alpha strike, if you let the Mech rest until it powers up on its own, it will take 31 seconds of downtime. I actually tested that twice, using a stopwatch, because I didn't believe the number I got the first time.

Oh well, time go stomp around until I get bored with this again. The Nova seems to actually make a pretty mean little bastard, 4 cER-Mediums in each arm gives a good one-two punch. I also filled it in with 12 cER smalls, with memories of the old Lunchback or whatever we called that Hunchback variant. Couldn't make this thing go fast enough though, and apparently you can't change out the clan engines? Who knows. UI 2.0 is confusing as poo poo. How the hell did they manage to make much of the interface worse than it was in the first place?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Tim Pawlenty posted:

I picked this up again last week since I had been a founder and played in the beta and wanted to check it out on my new gaming rig. It's really bad, the UI loving blows compared to what it was, and clan mechs really are p2w. I was able to kill a Dire Wolf in my Atlas only because it was 2v1 and I had ambushed it from behind, any other style of fight against a clan mech is ridiculously in their favor. It's still decent fun for a free game but I'm really upset with the direction this game has gone.

We really shouldn't be surprised about that really, when the Clans appeared in the tabletop they threw out all of the balance they had out the window for that übermensch Clan-tech that is literally better than everything else, "LRM20's for the same tonnage as a LRM10 with half the critical slots needed as well as being able to shoot at point-blank which the normal IS LRM's cannot? loving SOLD!" is the thought process of all the Clan stuff.

Using it is probably the biggest anti-balance they put into the game since it clearly makes it so one side gets a massive advantage over the other because it's just plain better than the normal stuff.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
There are actually still a few people playing living legends. go here for instructions on how to get around the death of gamespy and connect to the handful of servers that are still running. The server tool in that link tracks server population too, it looks like there's a small group of holdouts who play a bit every day. Goons could totally revive the community if they wanted to. I mean, development will never continue, but the game was pretty fun where they left off so :shrug:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Koorisch posted:

We really shouldn't be surprised about that really, when the Clans appeared in the tabletop they threw out all of the balance they had out the window for that übermensch Clan-tech that is literally better than everything else, "LRM20's for the same tonnage as a LRM10 with half the critical slots needed as well as being able to shoot at point-blank which the normal IS LRM's cannot? loving SOLD!" is the thought process of all the Clan stuff.

I will always hope that FASA saw the crazed devotion BT fans had of their various houses as a little disturbing, wanted to get all these players to work together and become friends, and came up with the clans as the common evil they had to work together against...

Then they cried themselves to sleep after going to a TT tourney and seeing all the house patches swapped out for clan patches worn by spergs foaming at the mouth over shattered robo-honoure.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

armchairyoda posted:

Then they cried themselves to sleep after going to a TT tourney and seeing all the house patches swapped out for clan patches worn by spergs foaming at the mouth over shattered robo-honoure.

I was always under the impression that this describes basically every tournament for every tabletop franchise ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I was a legendary founder. It was good in closed/open beta, there was a good 12 months where the game was lots of fun and had a huge goon presence.

But in the end we all got burned. Don't touch this piece of poo poo. I'm surprised anyone still plays it.

How many of the $500 gold mechs did they sell?

• Locked thread