Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Stupid Question: Is the organization called Spyral because the head honcho's face is all swirly?

I think the name is just an excuse to use the Spy in some wordplay. Probably the face came after the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
The organization is called Spyral because the entirety of Morrison's Incorporated run dealt with spiraling motifs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Pfft, like you'd know. I bet you have no experience at all in examining the motifs of Grant Morrison's Batman run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I finished reading City of Crime (thanks cheap rear end Comixology sale) and it was as awesome as everyone says. It also blows my mind about how many secret organisations have been set up in Gotham. Black Glove, Owls, the Body etc. I pretty good idea for a comic would be something like a secret war between all the secret societies in Gotham trying to become the one secret society that secretly controls Gotham City. Secret.

Has the Body come up in anything else since City of Crime?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Madkal posted:

I finished reading City of Crime (thanks cheap rear end Comixology sale) and it was as awesome as everyone says. It also blows my mind about how many secret organisations have been set up in Gotham. Black Glove, Owls, the Body etc. I pretty good idea for a comic would be something like a secret war between all the secret societies in Gotham trying to become the one secret society that secretly controls Gotham City. Secret.

Has the Body come up in anything else since City of Crime?

It wasn't exactly a battle between "secret organizations," but War Games tried (badly) to do this and No Man's Land tried (amazingly well) to do this with the criminals and such. I'd be okay with a Gotham Secret War, but considering how DC and Big Two comics are these days, it'd be a really bloated event that would derail all the Bat-line as opposed to giving them a cool direction like No Man's Land did.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bruce was 'testing' Dick's determination and will after the Forever Evil fiasco. Quite melodramatic and with some odd dialogue (Bruce calling Dick 'my boy' for example)

So DC wanted a reason for Dick to get beaten up, got it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The big Batman sale is over, but now there is a sale for Robin that lasts a week. Nice thing about this sale is the absent Batman Inc and Batman & Robin are on sale now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rirse posted:

The big Batman sale is over, but now there is a sale for Robin that lasts a week. Nice thing about this sale is the absent Batman Inc and Batman & Robin are on sale now.

Bah. Only 11 issues of Tim Drake. I want Dixon's entire run.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Madkal posted:

Bah. Only 11 issues of Tim Drake. I want Dixon's entire run.

I think I have it in my garage all bagged up. All the Tim Drake Robin mini series and a poo poo ton of Robins from issue 1, to year Zero and onwards up too.. poo poo I cant remember, after the ra's al ghul contagion? crossovers and up to almost the point where Gotham is destroyed in an earthquake I believe.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It's me, I'm the one inspired enough by the press surrounding the Batgirl redesign to pick it up for the first time. Should I start with that issue or an arc or two back so I know what's going on?

Hearing that the New 52 was all grim turned me off to DC in general when I got into comics recently, so hearing Batgirl's lightening up has gotten me interested. Are there any other bat titles that are less grim? '66 I'm guessing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't think there's any Simone issues to catch up with since it's all "BROODING ABOUT MY PSYCHO BROTHER" so you're probably good to go once the new arc begins I imagine.

The Stephanie Brown Batgirl book was my favorite pre-New 52, and the montage at the end of its last issue was depressing in how much potential it was hinting at eventually having.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zelah posted:

It's me, I'm the one inspired enough by the press surrounding the Batgirl redesign to pick it up for the first time. Should I start with that issue or an arc or two back so I know what's going on?

Hearing that the New 52 was all grim turned me off to DC in general when I got into comics recently, so hearing Batgirl's lightening up has gotten me interested. Are there any other bat titles that are less grim? '66 I'm guessing.

Don't buy any of the N52 Batgirl stuff before the redesign which starts in issue #35.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zelah posted:

I'm sure you'll be able to jump right in, and that's what I'm planning on doing.

And yeah, I think you would enjoy the Steph run as mentioned above.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The trouble with the Steph stuff is that, if you're going for trades, it can get hideously expensive.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wow, am I the only person that enjoyed Simone's run on Batgirl?

Now with the new sale at Comixology, what are some shorter arcs, single issues, "not good enough to collect in trade" Robins that folks could recommend that I grab? Thanks in advance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zelah posted:

How grim can you take? I'd say the main Batman series is on the level for action/violence, till the Joker's arc starts and he's all creap-o with his sliced-off-and-re-attached face.
The last year of storylines there have been a flashback origin/Riddler arc which has been insanely bright and vibrant.

Batman Incorporated and Batman and Robin have really dark moments, but mixed with a lot of heart and fun.
For instance...

The grim poo poo to avoid is really the first run of Detective Comics which set the tone by kicking off the N52 with Joker slicing his face off, and Batman The Dark Knight.

e: As for the N52 and grim grit, there are definitely bright spots. The first run of Action Comics by Grant Morrison might fit your tastes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

catlord posted:

The trouble with the Steph stuff is that, if you're going for trades, it can get hideously expensive.
It's because everything is out of print. Which is ridiculous I think considering Steph's popularity. DC has been slowly churning out reprint editions of popular series (Gotham City Sirens, as a big example, is getting a trade reprint of the first 13 issues in October) so hopefully Stephanie's Batgirl run will be on that list.

I'd say cross your fingers for a Cassandra Cain run reprint but hah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wow, am I the only person that enjoyed Simone's run on Batgirl?

I tried, I really did, because I liked Secret Six and so I'm not automatically biased against Simone, but her Batgirl just seemed like it was trying way too hard to be snarky with Barbara's roommate and that "Gordon Barbara Gordon" bullshit.

Also while it's nice to have more trans characters in comics, her reveal felt clumsy as all hell (although that was after I stopped reading the book and I just read that part via reposted panels on Twitter/Tumblr and maybe it was better in context? although I doubt it).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is Robin Rises going to be done entirely in Batman & Robin (+ robin rises alpha/omega) or do i need to get other books?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is Robin Rises going to be done entirely in Batman & Robin (+ robin rises alpha/omega) or do i need to get other books?
It's not expected to branch out of the B&R book, so don't worry about anything else.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

lotus circle posted:

It's not expected to branch out of the B&R book, so don't worry about anything else.

That's good. I kinda figured that'd be the case when it didn't promo any comics at the end of the issue, but then I remembered that this is the only comic book company without recap pages, so I wanted to be safe.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I've picked up the first few issues of the Stephanie Brown batgirl and they're pretty great. Thanks for the recommendations. Damian just popped up in it and is making me want to pick up Inc., even if I read too far on a wiki page about his outcome.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been trying to find a list of the best Robin short stories so I can take advantage of the comiXology sale and so far I've only found this:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/11/03/the-greatest-robinred-robin-stories-ever-told/

Good? Bad?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dixon's Tim stuff tends to be pretty good which is definitely the bias in that list.

That list reminded me about how goddamn good the Tim Drake redesign on the Robin costume was. The Damian costume is the best Robin costume, but the Tim costume is anelegant update to the classic costume. It keeps all the important elements and adds without seeming superfluous.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zelah posted:

I've picked up the first few issues of the Stephanie Brown batgirl and they're pretty great. Thanks for the recommendations. Damian just popped up in it and is making me want to pick up Inc., even if I read too far on a wiki page about his outcome.

I'd recommend Morrison's Batman and Robin if you're looking for Damian. Damian doesn't do much in Inc until the second volume.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is probably just a rumor, seeing as how I can't find anything about it online, but a few of the employees at my local comic shop were telling me yesterday that 'Arkham Manor' has been changed to a one-shot miniseries. Apparently DC started pulling their last-minute changes poo poo with Duggan and he got fed up enough to quit the project. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doesn't seem to be anything on the internet at the moment. On Twitter he was hyping up his upcoming Batman issue @ing Snyder and Doyle less than a week ago if that means anything.
Browsing around about that I saw a tweet from Mark Doyle about having dinner with Michel Fiffe. I didn't enjoy the first few of his All-New Ultimates, but I'd be into seeing him try a bat thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

While yeah it's DC they do dumb stuff I would hope Doyle would have enough influence to keep the Batline okay given how much he's revitalizing it.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So, I came across this old-ish webcomic:

And was wondering: are there any stories where Bruce really does do something meaningful with his philanthropy? Usually it's just a set up for something horrible to happen, thanks to Gotham's corruption, that requires Batman-ing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jetfire posted:

So, I came across this old-ish webcomic:

And was wondering: are there any stories where Bruce really does do something meaningful with his philanthropy? Usually it's just a set up for something horrible to happen, thanks to Gotham's corruption, that requires Batman-ing.

All the time, but actually healing a poor neighborhood doesn't make dynamic superhero adventure stories.
He helps out neighborhoods, create jobs all the time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's got at least one, if not multiple charities under the Wayne name. I know just recently in some Detective issue he dedicated a homeless shelter (my memory's a little vague, maybe it was a soup kitchen or something else) in his momma's name (then Penguin started some poo poo just to get it renamed after the Cobblepot family because he's a petty little prick)

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
It's just kinda funny, because while I'm sure there's been mentions of charities and philanthropy that Bruce headed, it's not as if I've ever seen it as central to any memorable story. There was that charity thing that kick-started the current Detective Comics run, but of course it set up his new partner being set on fire by the end of the first issue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jetfire posted:

It's just kinda funny, because while I'm sure there's been mentions of charities and philanthropy that Bruce headed, it's not as if I've ever seen it as central to any memorable story.

Well there was the ultimate philanthropy, Batman Inc! :D

Have a Batman in every country! Until Gotham gets wrecked and then have a Batman in... Japan and Mexico and they're the only two international Batmen I can think of left!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jetfire posted:

It's just kinda funny, because while I'm sure there's been mentions of charities and philanthropy that Bruce headed, it's not as if I've ever seen it as central to any memorable story. There was that charity thing that kick-started the current Detective Comics run, but of course it set up his new partner being set on fire by the end of the first issue.

The reconstruction of Gotham's was what kickstarted the Court of Owls story and it has been on the background of Snyder's stories.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TwoPair posted:

Well there was the ultimate philanthropy, Batman Inc! :D

Have a Batman in every country! Until Gotham gets wrecked and then have a Batman in... Japan and Mexico and they're the only two international Batmen I can think of left!

Cass will always be the best Batman. (eat a dick [grayson], DC)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jetfire posted:

It's just kinda funny, because while I'm sure there's been mentions of charities and philanthropy that Bruce headed, it's not as if I've ever seen it as central to any memorable story.
You should check out Gotham Knights #32.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In case you weren't completely sold on the new Batgirl team, this interview will do it for you.

Choice quote:

Cameron Stewart posted:

I was not particularly interested in creatively in doing a dark, grim story with Batgirl. I wanted to do something that was light and fun and sort of consistent to the way that Batgirl has been portrayed for almost fifty years in all kinds of other media.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

In case you weren't completely sold on the new Batgirl team, this interview will do it for you.

Choice quote:

Does it end with "but then DC told us we had to go dark so welp?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

Does it end with "but then DC told us we had to go dark so welp?"

Either that, series being cancelled due plummeting sales, the creative team being replaced three issues in (after the fourth issue is solicited) or continuing strong for 12 or so issues and being the pleasant surprise hit comic we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

So, basically, Batman the Animated Series Barbara? I know they're shooting for a younger demographic but I hope they don't go too far and remember at Barbara is supposed to be an adult already. This premise sounds more and more like something suited for a Stephanie Brown Batgirl run, but who even knows what's going to be going on with her until Eternal is over.

That said I'll still get a copy of #35 because I do want to support the new runners but I just hope things are kept in perspective.

• Locked thread