Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

The big deal isn't in the units sold, but that the character is pulling in new readers. I had a lady friend over the other night that doesn't read comics, but asked me if I heard about the new Ms. Marvel, and gushed as she flipped through the issues I gave her. Told her to keep them, and pass them to the next person that might enjoy them.

Slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zooted heh posted:

I love how vol 2 of savage wolverine has nothing to do with issues 1-5. :rolleyes:

why is there a story about him waking up on a unknown planet when thats exactly what happens in 1-5 when he wakes up in savage land?

Because Savage Wolverine is just a series of disconnected stories (many of which are team-ups) where Wolverine does stuff. There's no real running plot thread throughout the book.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
thanks for clearing that up. vol one left off with a cliff hanger. I just assumed it would continue. thats what i get for buying only digital verison of comics. I cant skim through the comic. welp ill probably stop reading it. I thought the savage land story was interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

The big deal isn't in the units sold, but that the character is pulling in new readers. I had a lady friend over the other night that doesn't read comics, but asked me if I heard about the new Ms. Marvel, and gushed as she flipped through the issues I gave her. Told her to keep them, and pass them to the next person that might enjoy them.

Careful. I think you get stabbed in the end.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the best way to read in order (if it is possible) to sort by publication date? I read the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy and then switched to the new series. At the end of the old one, Thanos returned and they had him in stasis or whatever. Cut to the new Guardians of the Galaxy series and then Gamora is talking about how Star Lord fought Thanos and sent him into the cancerverse or something (which is referenced in the 08 series). Did I miss stuff happening between then? In Thanos' own series maybe?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
War of Kings, Realm of Kings, The Thanos Imperiative is the story of how the Shi'ar and Kree [Now run by the Inhumans] go to war, blow a hole into reality, and Cthulhuian horror heroes come through from a universe where Life has defeated Death. As you sort of pick up on reading the new run, it ends with Peter Quill and Richard Rider holding Thanos off in the Cancerverse as the hole closes to keep him from going back and wrecking poo poo. As far as everyone knew, Star-Lord and Nova died along with Thanos. Then basically out of nowhere Star-Lord and Thanos are back. It's not been uncommented on, even in story, but we won't get the answer until next month. All we know is that something happened and Quill and Thanos came back much later...and Richard Rider did not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

War of Kings, Realm of Kings, The Thanos Imperiative is the story of how the Shi'ar and Kree [Now run by the Inhumans] go to war, blow a hole into reality, and Cthulhuian horror heroes come through from a universe where Life has defeated Death. As you sort of pick up on reading the new run, it ends with Peter Quill and Richard Rider holding Thanos off in the Cancerverse as the hole closes to keep him from going back and wrecking poo poo. As far as everyone knew, Star-Lord and Nova died along with Thanos. Then basically out of nowhere Star-Lord and Thanos are back. It's not been uncommented on, even in story, but we won't get the answer until next month. All we know is that something happened and Quill and Thanos came back much later...and Richard Rider did not.

Also didn't Thanos murder Drax in the Cancerverse?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Sorry if you were actually interested in reading those stories instead of having someone tell you what happens.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Kree and Inhumans have gone their separate ways again because Inhumans needed to come back to Earth...I guess because Hickman wanted them in FF and I guess maybe they knew Inhumanity was on the table at that point.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Also didn't Thanos murder Drax in the Cancerverse?

Yes he essentially vaporized him and its been glossed over how Drax came back.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jiro posted:

Yes he essentially vaporized him and its been glossed over how Drax came back.

It's supposedly covered next issue (the Original Sin crossover) in GotG.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Those Ms. Marvel numbers don't include digital sales on ComiXology and the like, do they?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Those Ms. Marvel numbers don't include digital sales on ComiXology and the like, do they?

Probably not, but I also doubt it matters all that much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I saw an article somewhere that Ms. Marvel has sold way more digitally than it has in print.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deadpool posted:

I think I saw an article somewhere that Ms. Marvel has sold way more digitally than it has in print.

That's not too surprising since it's really popular among younger demographics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Yeah, so I found a story about that on Bleeding Cool.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/28/ms-marvel-1-and-the-rest-have-sold-more-in-digital-than-the-rest/

The problem is (unless I'm some sort of idiot) the story is poorly written which makes understanding it a chore.

So according to that story most titles sell 10-20% of their Print Sales in digital. If that is true, most comics sell around the 30K mark. 10-20% of that would mean that they only sell like 3,000 to 6,000 in digital? If that's true then the Digital market is essentially a massive failure near as I can tell. But yeah I must be mistaken about that.

Anyway, supposedly Ms. Marvel sells digitally more than most books. So that's good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They literally scan the comics into a PDF so for the minimal effort required it's not really a failure.

And on Comixology's part that's like 50 books a week doing 2-3k so they're probably fine with it too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah, so I found a story about that on Bleeding Cool.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/28/ms-marvel-1-and-the-rest-have-sold-more-in-digital-than-the-rest/

The problem is (unless I'm some sort of idiot) the story is poorly written which makes understanding it a chore.

So according to that story most titles sell 10-20% of their Print Sales in digital. If that is true, most comics sell around the 30K mark. 10-20% of that would mean that they only sell like 3,000 to 6,000 in digital? If that's true then the Digital market is essentially a massive failure near as I can tell. But yeah I must be mistaken about that.

Anyway, supposedly Ms. Marvel sells digitally more than most books. So that's good.

I don't think it means digital is a huge failure. Ms. Marvel is probably not the only digital comic that sells more in digital than retail, I'm sure there's other niche (meaning designed for someone other than a 30-45 year old white males) that do well digitally, modern comics production means that comics are already digitally uploaded, and that's 3-6 thousand sales you don't have to pay to print or ship. And then there's the huge back catalog , which, if it's already been digitized, is product you can sell with almost no overhead.

Edit: Also, since there's basically only one retailer, that's pretty good business.Imagine opening a comic shop and your sales were 10% of every other single comic shop in America combined. And I don't think the 10-20% corresponds with a decrease in print sales, so if you're a Marvel, Image or DC all you're seeing is a 10-20% bump in sales.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 3, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I still figured that Digital was a way of reaching out to the potential millions of people who would be interested in reading comics. I had visions of being able to sell things digitally would open everything up to a huge market place. That even if things wouldn't go back to the golden age of sales (that would require the price of digital comics tumbling to super cheap levels of like a dollar or less for comics.) that the Digital market I expected to massively shore up the previously plummeting readership.

Learning that it's only bringing in a small number for an already tiny market is disappointing, to say the least.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Question IRL posted:

I still figured that Digital was a way of reaching out to the potential millions of people who would be interested in reading comics. I had visions of being able to sell things digitally would open everything up to a huge market place. That even if things wouldn't go back to the golden age of sales (that would require the price of digital comics tumbling to super cheap levels of like a dollar or less for comics.) that the Digital market I expected to massively shore up the previously plummeting readership.

Learning that it's only bringing in a small number for an already tiny market is disappointing, to say the least.

It's an 11-25% increase over the standard LCBS model. I'd call that a win.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think once Amazon properly integrates weekly comics into their store, you'll see a gradual boost. Comixology just isn't a great storefront and the big two currently don't give enough of a poo poo about digital comics to really push them as a platform even though it's clearly where things are headed.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skwirl posted:

I don't think it means digital is a huge failure. Ms. Marvel is probably not the only digital comic that sells more in digital than retail, I'm sure there's other niche (meaning designed for someone other than a 30-45 year old white males) that do well digitally,

I'm guessing the reason are that oldschool comic readers enjoy having something they can hold in their hands, then add to their longbox to boost the size of their collection. Also, Ms. Marvel is aimed (somewhat) at women, and getting it digitally means they don't have to go to a comic shop and be gawked at by 350lb neckbeards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gynovore posted:

I'm guessing the reason are that oldschool comic readers enjoy having something they can hold in their hands, then add to their longbox to boost the size of their collection. Also, Ms. Marvel is aimed (somewhat) at women, and getting it digitally means they don't have to go to a comic shop and be gawked at by 350lb neckbeards.

Hey, almost all my Ms Marvel sales have been to teenage girls. We even got a nice writeup in the local Arts & Entertainment circular about how great it is that we cater to young women.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Haha, yep. Plus much more convenient.

Ms. Marvel is a good way to get into comics, I think. I started off with it, then added Elektra and Revival, then two volumes of Chew (I'll add the rest of the backlog slowly :v:), and I'll probably get She-Hulk in volumes too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Haha, yep. Plus much more convenient.

Ms. Marvel is a good way to get into comics, I think. I started off with it, then added Elektra and Revival, then two volumes of Chew (I'll add the rest of the backlog slowly :v:), and I'll probably get She-Hulk in volumes too.

I keep meaning to start up a thread that's basically "What do you want out of your local comic shop?" I need more ideas to reach out to young readers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think once Amazon properly integrates weekly comics into their store, you'll see a gradual boost. Comixology just isn't a great storefront and the big two currently don't give enough of a poo poo about digital comics to really push them as a platform even though it's clearly where things are headed.

Too many people in the biz are hung up on the romanticism of comic shops/are best buds with the people who run them/scarred shitless of being the first company to put themselves out there and have the shops revolt and stop carrying them.

The digital numbers suffer from nobody but people who already buy comics knowing they can even get comics digitally, start putting an ad for digital in front of the movies and you'd see digital start crushing physical copies.

Most media is stuck in this weird limbo right now where digital is clearly the future but they are hamstrung by physical retailers not wanting to be phased out using clout to keep digital prices high and it's availability hush hush.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

Too many people in the biz are hung up on the romanticism of comic shops/are best buds with the people who run them/scarred shitless of being the first company to put themselves out there and have the shops revolt and stop carrying them.

The digital numbers suffer from nobody but people who already buy comics knowing they can even get comics digitally, start putting an ad for digital in front of the movies and you'd see digital start crushing physical copies.

Most media is stuck in this weird limbo right now where digital is clearly the future but they are hamstrung by physical retailers not wanting to be phased out using clout to keep digital prices high and it's availability hush hush.

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand I'd like comics to embrace digital, because ultimately I feel it's a forum that really suits the medium. The big thing that made me switch from hard copy to digital is the fact that I have hundred of comics. That poo poo takes up space. Lot's and lots of space. Being able to store all my collection on an IPad is just easier to find and read.

On the other hand (and I realize this is the polar opposite) I don't like this notion that physical is dead and we should just switch en mass to digital for everything. For a start it leads to elitest assumption that "sure the whole world is online anyway, make everything 100 Gig downloads. Everyone can afford that and has always on internet."
Secondly I really feel that it will lead to some type of bait and switch where companies turn around and say "actually, you don't own any of the things you've bought as the law hasn't quite caught up to what we were doing. Your rental period is up."

Some of those fears have been eased by the announcement about Comixology doing DRM free comics so you can download and own the files you paid for.

Basically I don't want comics to be relegated to just hard to reach physical stores, and at the same time I don't want the entire world moving to a model where you just buy everything online and never have to leave your house for any reason.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Question IRL posted:

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand I'd like comics to embrace digital, because ultimately I feel it's a forum that really suits the medium. The big thing that made me switch from hard copy to digital is the fact that I have hundred of comics. That poo poo takes up space. Lot's and lots of space. Being able to store all my collection on an IPad is just easier to find and read.

On the other hand (and I realize this is the polar opposite) I don't like this notion that physical is dead and we should just switch en mass to digital for everything. For a start it leads to elitest assumption that "sure the whole world is online anyway, make everything 100 Gig downloads. Everyone can afford that and has always on internet."
Secondly I really feel that it will lead to some type of bait and switch where companies turn around and say "actually, you don't own any of the things you've bought as the law hasn't quite caught up to what we were doing. Your rental period is up."

Some of those fears have been eased by the announcement about Comixology doing DRM free comics so you can download and own the files you paid for.

Basically I don't want comics to be relegated to just hard to reach physical stores, and at the same time I don't want the entire world moving to a model where you just buy everything online and never have to leave your house for any reason.

After having gotten the "50 Years of" DVDs a few years ago, full digital can't happen soon enough. I travel a bunch, so now I go on trips with a bunch of PDFs on a tablet versus having to only go with a few trades that won't even last a five hour flight. If I can get issues direct from Marvel/DC/Whoever and cut out the LCS (I have only lovely places around me that don't deserve my business) while at the same time having access to them while travelling, that's awesome. And if it can help get new audiences into comics without having them involved in the toxic environment of the LCS, it's win-win-win.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I keep meaning to start up a thread that's basically "What do you want out of your local comic shop?" I need more ideas to reach out to young readers.

My LCS is like a time machine that, in spite of the cultural detritus it collects as it passes through the years, the store itself remains firmly a product of the 80's. I am a "young reader" and find it simultaneously nostalgic and depressing, so do with that what you will :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

First Bass posted:

My LCS is like a time machine that, in spite of the cultural detritus it collects as it passes through the years, the store itself remains firmly a product of the 80's. I am a "young reader" and find it simultaneously nostalgic and depressing, so do with that what you will :shrug:

I mean like, 8-14 year olds man but I get what you're saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I don't know anything about your store, but I always feel really depressed when I walk into mine and the staff is always entirely men in their 30s with various kinds of beards, wearing faded t-shirts of dumb 90s comic stuff. Just once I'd like to walk in and see some fresh faced 20something, possibly wearing some actually nice clothes. It'd make it feel more like a real store and less like I walked into someone's basement hangout.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know anything about your store, but I always feel really depressed when I walk into mine and the staff is always entirely men in their 30s with various kinds of beards, wearing faded t-shirts of dumb 90s comic stuff. Just once I'd like to walk in and see some fresh faced 20something, possibly wearing some actually nice clothes. It'd make it feel more like a real store and less like I walked into someone's basement hangout.

Senor Candle and Codependent Poster have both met me in real life. I'd like to think that I don't fall into your bad column. Hell I try very hard to not wear comic shirts when working, usually plain t-shirts or black short sleeve button ups.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Senor Candle and Codependent Poster have both met me in real life. I'd like to think that I don't fall into your bad column. Hell I try very hard to not wear comic shirts when working, usually plain t-shirts or black short sleeve button ups.

See, that already sounds like an actual manager's outfit. Hell, just a new-looking t-shirt with the store's logo on it would be better than crab mask kyle rayner grimacing at me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

See, that already sounds like an actual manager's outfit. Hell, just a new-looking t-shirt with the store's logo on it would be better than crab mask kyle rayner grimacing at me.

I did wear a GotG shirt when we worked a cross promotion event at the theater (where I met SC) but that's pretty much the only tiems I break the rule.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I mean like, 8-14 year olds man but I get what you're saying.
I assume you guys do table top stuff since that's been the bread and butter of most smaller shops that I've seen. But near me, in Brooklyn, they opened this Gamer Lab. It's designed as a sort of after school program that parents enroll their kids into. But it made me think that a comic shop running a weekend game workshop for younger kids might be cool and potentially bring in new costumers for that sort of thing.

They also used to do a Singles Against Humanity which was a night where people play Cards Against Humanity and hit on each other. That was kind of dope.

EDIT: I uh, forgot that this wasn't the Derailed thread and you probably weren't soliciting answers to that question now.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 4, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I assume you guys do table top stuff since that's been the bread and butter of most smaller shops that I've seen. But near me, in Brooklyn, they opened this Gamer Lab. It's designed as a sort of after school program that parents enroll their kids into. But it made me think that a comic shop running a weekend game workshop for younger kids might be cool and potentially bring in new costumers for that sort of thing.

They also used to do a Singles Against Humanity which was a night where people play Cards Against Humanity and hit on each other. That was kind of dope.

EDIT: I uh, forgot that this wasn't the Derailed and you probably weren't soliciting answers to that question now.

I'll post over there or start a thread later. I like what you're suggesting.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What can anyone tell me about this new Star Lord trade that collects his 70's comics? Worth reading still?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

It's completely variable. According to the sales estimates at Comichron the first printing of the first issue sold around 50,000 copies, which is pretty impressive for the launch of a non-marquee (never mind non-white-male-who's-been-around-for-decades) book in 2014. The following month they record an additional 7,000 copies sold, then 5,400 the next month, then 3,400, then 2,800. These may not be exactly aligned to each printing, but is probably reflective of approximately how big most second/etc. printings are.
According to CBR, #1 was at one point the top digital seller at Marvel (ahead of multiple Hawkeye issues and both Loki and Wolverine's 2014 ongoings, as well as New Avengers Vol. 3 #14) and on comiXology second only to a DC crossever event main book (Forever Evil #5). There was a #1-to-#2 drop-off of 23.7% (38k, plus about 3.5k for a second printing of #2 in April) which was lower percentage-wise than some other Marvel titles' drop-off, followed by #3's 37k and #4's 34.8k, and according to ComiChron #5 managed 33.8k, which barely edged out both Catwoman and Batwoman #32; for a Marvel-only comparison, Ms. Marvel #5 was just behind Hulk #4 but with all three above Fantastic Four #6, although Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man #2 outsold them at 38.2k.

In print alone her title's post-#1 sales have been quite stable, but over in that Bleeding Cool article's comments I'm reading claims both that "Ms Marvel is routinely in the top 5 for digital on the week it drops" and by someone else that "I've been following and the book IS consistently a top 5 seller on its release week across all publishers on Comixology. It's bigger than events. It's bigger than sales. It's bigger than brand new #1's, and that's most likely because it's designed with a larger market in mind", so if Ms. Marvel digital sales regularly exceed the numbers above, then her combined print-and-digital numbers are more than double of the above.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Ms. Marvel is a good way to get into comics, I think.
I am utterly convinced that how "Marvel-616" light it is was an editorial mandate to maximize accessibility for new readers with no Marvel knowledge. We didn't even get an in-person appearance by an established superhero until #6 (the iconic "vision" scene of #1 is clearly based on her mental imagery of them), and their 'actual' personae (much less backstories) are incidental to the plot -- all that a new reader has to get about them is that they're Kamala's in-universe cultural icons and that Kamala particularly looks up to Captain Marvel among the four.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Does Remender's Captain America get any better or more interesting after Dimension Z? I've been catching up on all the AXIS related titles for fun and that Dimension Z arc was...not fun. Pretty disappointed after having read Brubaker's run a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like it, but it never becomes Brubaker's cap, and keeps a similar tone to Dimension Z throughout.

• Locked thread