Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

More weird was the dogpile everybody was sleeping in immediately after that scene. The gently caress?

Speaking of, way to make the Kyln look like chump material. Ditto entire Nova Corp I guess, though that's more understandable. Oh and Drax jobbing to Ronan was just ridiculous. This was such a non-super-hero movie, none of these fucks did anything except the racoon. Their most badass moment was the first fight amongst themselves. Oh and Groot's casual mass-murder and body horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Thanos was a completely unnecessary presence in the film

What? No. It's plainly obvious that the films are showing Thanos attempting to gather the Infinity Stones as a buildup to Avengers 3, ergo I'm pretty sure 'Thanos attempting to get an Infinity Stone' was not 'completely unnecessary'. He kicked off the whole plot by making his deal with Ronan.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So Guardians made $94 million this weekend.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 3, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy loving poo poo. I bet that made up for Gunn's last two (unfortunate) bombs.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It seems so weird to me they count the money it makes over the weekend before Sunday has happened.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It seems so weird to me they count the money it makes over the weekend before Sunday has happened.

The $94 (now revised to $91 mil) represents its 3-day total (Thursday through Saturday) - they will add Sunday's gross on top of that tomorrow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The $94 (now revised to $91 mil) represents its 3-day total (Thursday through Saturday) - they will add Sunday's gross on top of that tomorrow.

Deadline.com posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy dropped about 17% to 18% on Saturday to take in about $31M+, so if it falls the traditional 20% today, it will end the weekend just a wee north of $94M.

It's an estimated total.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's an estimated total.

I'm seeing that now - why don't they include the Thursday night numbers? Or are those rolled into Friday?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm seeing that now - why don't they include the Thursday night numbers? Or are those rolled into Friday?

Yes, the "Friday" number include Thursday night showings, which is getting increasingly stupid as those have moved from midnight shows to multiple screenings starting early in the evening. I saw it Thursday at 7:00 in a theater that wasn't even that packed, since, I'm guessing, there were three other shows that night.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

What? No. It's plainly obvious that the films are showing Thanos attempting to gather the Infinity Stones as a buildup to Avengers 3, ergo I'm pretty sure 'Thanos attempting to get an Infinity Stone' was not 'completely unnecessary'. He kicked off the whole plot by making his deal with Ronan.
The problem is that has nothing to do with the stakes of this film and this story at all. Thanos wanting the infinity gems is a thing that is almost definitely going to be reestablished in whatever film he accomplishes such. The thing that this film serves is to establish that the Infinity Gems are bad news, but you didn't really need Thanos for that.

And that's not to say that I don't think Thanos can be in this film. I think my larger issue is that, as the film stands, we already have a pretty weak villain in Ronan, but at least he has a stated mission although. Guardians makes it clear that Thanos is bad, but not really what his purpose is.

I think the greater problem is that the film does little to really give you a sense of what makes Thanos or Ronan so bad. Compare this to the original Star Wars film. Darth Vader and the Empire are evil fascists in the most ambiguous of terms, but the first act does two important things: Establishes the scale of the empire and the oppressiveness of the empire. The first shot gives us the scale. Right away, we know just how powerful the Empire is and how outclassed the Rebels are by just seeing their ships compared to each other. Then we have the death of Luke's aunt and uncle. The stormtroopers burn two innocent farmers alive. This tells you everything you need to know about what the Empire is willing to do.

Guardians doesn't really give us a sense of the reach of Ronan's evil. The closest we get is Drax telling us the story of his family's death. The prison scene shows us how ruthless he is. Still, I honestly can't tell you if Ronan is seen as a terrorist hiding from Nova and coming out for a few atrocities, or seen as more of an unstoppable force. With Thanos, I really can't tell his current stature in the universe at all. Is he a sleeping dragon that people fear, but hasn't done anything in some time, or is he actively killing people?

In the end I just feel that both villains just serve as distractions for the real heart of the film which is the characters just hanging out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I have never seen the world Dingus used so many times as in these last few pages. Shut up about Legos you dinguses.

Also, hooray for this making almost 100 million opening weekend. James Gunn and crew deserve it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The film continually shows how bad Ronan is. The first scene is him murdering a diplomat an outright stating he never wants peace. He's such a threat that he is seemingly allowed to just get away with this, as neither side wants to go near him and he doesn't give a poo poo about his own government. We immediately see how outclassed Nova are but their leader's inability to get anyone to do anything about Ronan, and in addition wee see the trader's fear of Ronan when Quill attempts to give him the orb.

I mean if you want a grand visual metaphor like the big ship from Star Wars, how is the blood from his enemy flowing into his own crest not blatant enough?

And the power of Thanos, I think, comes from us not seeing him - as this terribe force that is spoken about, and the one time we do see him he overpowers and puts down the dude who we know is already a threat. I feel like if we saw any more of Thanos or if he did anything else it would actually impede on the story; Thanos is the reason Ronan as the stone. He really didn't need to be anything more.

Again guys if we're really big into the Star Wars comparisons - go back and watch a New Hope. We genuinely get about as much from the Empire as we do from Ronan, it's just everyone has had time to pour over every detail of A New Hope. I mean either way this isn't a villain's story, so I don't think it matters.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I found that the movie had answers for most of those questions about Ronan.

Maybe you've just seen Starwars more times than you've seen Guardians.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I still haven't found time to watch GotG yet but could anyone explain this from the first page:

SalTheBard posted:

There are 9 realms:
1. Muspelheim - Home of the Fire Demons. It is ruled by Surtur.
2. Alfheim- Home of the Light Elves
3. Vanaheim - Home of the Vanir who are the sister race of the Asgardians and the Trolls.
4. Asgard - Home of the Asgardians. It is ruled by Odin.
5. Midgard - is the Earthly realm. Home of the Humans.
6. Jotunheim - Home of the Frost Giants. It is ruled by Laufey.
7. Nifleheim - Home of the Frost Trolls. It is ruled by Ymir.
8. Svartalfheim - Home of the Dark Elves. It is ruled by Malekith.
9. Helheim - Realm of the dead. It is ruled by Hela.
(Copy and pasted from the MCU wiki)

Earth is in Midgard as well as all the surrounding planets. All the movies take place in Midgard. Essentially each realm is it's own contained universe that can be traveled between via the Bifrost bridge.

In Thor it seemed like these "realms" as you call them were nothing but just planets. Are they planets in this same universe? If I had a capable spaceship, could I fly from Earth ("Midgard") all the way to Asgard? What's stopping me from doing so if the answer is no? Because it seemed like the dark elves were able to fly from Svartalfheim (very original name there) to Asgard.

I guess what's confusing me is that people are calling these "realms" rather than "planets." It seems to me like these are all just planets in the same universe, right?

Also the last part of that quote:

quote:

Earth is in Midgard as well as all the surrounding planets.

So in real terms, is a "realm" just another word for say "solar system" or hell even "sector of space"? If Earth and say Mars are all considered "Midgard."

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Yeah to me it seems strange that there would be an entire universe of Frost Trolls. Plus aren't there like hundreds of marvel universes? Or does each universe also contain one of those realms?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Planets are channels on your TV, realms are inputs.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I want the realm where the grainy softcore comes in clear as a bell when you put aluminum foil on the rabbit ears.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

redstormpopcorn posted:

Rocket is probably the best-animated CG character I've ever seen. The VFX team completely nailed the motions, especially his requisite grubby, thieving little raccoon hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VMf7OqTOuU

I was really hoping that he'd off-handedly wash his food at some point mid-conversation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ronan didn't really do anything on-screen on par with killing Luke's parents, killing Obi-wan, kidnapping and torturing Leia, blowing up a planet, etc. etc. He kills a guy with a hammer, but it's a one-off character who means nothing to us.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Nine Realms in the movie are all clearly in the same universe. They are just different planets/galaxies. When Thor and Malekith are tumbling through them Thor's hammer changes direction several times to return to him. That wouldn't happen if they were different universes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

morestuff posted:

blowing up a planet,

Well that's exactly what he was trying to do, and by far the worst thing you listed there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Well that's exactly what he was trying to do, and by far the worst thing you listed there.

Abstractly, sure. But murdering a character we've grown to like packs more of an emotional impact. (And talking about wanting to do something is different from actually doing something, in any case.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

The film continually shows how bad Ronan is. The first scene is him murdering a diplomat an outright stating he never wants peace. He's such a threat that he is seemingly allowed to just get away with this, as neither side wants to go near him and he doesn't give a poo poo about his own government. We immediately see how outclassed Nova are but their leader's inability to get anyone to do anything about Ronan, and in addition wee see the trader's fear of Ronan when Quill attempts to give him the orb.
I get that he does bad things in the film and is a bad guy, but I don't really get the broader scale of things. Like in Star Wars there is just a lot of shorthand that establishes the Empire as the big oppressive government. We know what that is. We understand that. Ronan is this religious fanatic, which is interesting, but I don't fully get just how bad he has been for the galaxy. And I know there are characters telling me he's bad and has done bad things, but I never really felt engaged by any of that. The stakes of the film require me to understand what it would mean for Ronan to have the infinity gem and I don't really understand that besides it's bad.

quote:

And the power of Thanos, I think, comes from us not seeing him - as this terribe force that is spoken about, and the one time we do see him he overpowers and puts down the dude who we know is already a threat. I feel like if we saw any more of Thanos or if he did anything else it would actually impede on the story; Thanos is the reason Ronan as the stone. He really didn't need to be anything more.
To me, I think the end result was that it undermined Ronan as the main villain. I think you could have easily just had Ronan searching for the infinity gem. I think I would have rather had Thanos remain more of a shadowy thing.

quote:

Again guys if we're really big into the Star Wars comparisons - go back and watch a New Hope. We genuinely get about as much from the Empire as we do from Ronan, it's just everyone has had time to pour over every detail of A New Hope. I mean either way this isn't a villain's story, so I don't think it matters.
We're told as much about the Empire as we are about Ronan. My point is that there is a lot of really cool shorthand that establishes what the Empire is without having to go into too much worldbuilding. They dress like Nazis. They dress in black. They are called the Empire. Their ship is bigger. They killed innocent farmers for no good reason. I disagree with the whole "you've watched Star Wars" more argument. I can articulate what Star Wars is doing because I've seen it a bunch of times, but all this stuff works on the first viewing. That's why I'm throwing these things out as exemplars of storytelling. An eight year old gets just how bad the Empire is based on this stuff even if they're not conscious of this stuff.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 3, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Deadpool posted:

The Nine Realms in the movie are all clearly in the same universe. They are just different planets/galaxies. When Thor and Malekith are tumbling through them Thor's hammer changes direction several times to return to him. That wouldn't happen if they were different universes.

Well that happened in Thor 2 when the realms were all connected at once.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Well that happened in Thor 2 when the realms were all connected at once.
I took the "realms being connected" to just be spacetime origami in a single common universe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boris Galerkin posted:

In Thor it seemed like these "realms" as you call them were nothing but just planets

Who knows? Thor's cosmology in the movies is designed around aesthetics, not facts [I don't say this as if it were a bad thing either, a solid rational basis for why everything works the way it does isn't really required for all films to work well as a film]. In the comics it's all very simple: He's literally Thor, a god. Asgard is Asgard. Valhalla, Hel, these are actual afterlives for dead folks. All the realms are alternate realms of existence. In the movies they do this 'Science, magic, what's the difference?' bull so you have spaceships and defense shields along with Loki doing what clearly looks like straight up no tools magic. How it all fits together is sort of handwaved.

So maybe they are all planets and you could just zoom out and find one, or maybe they are alternate realms of existence tied to Earth. Or maybe they are something stranger. There is no answer given, and there may not be an answer anyone has period. It's probably not the sort of thing they cared about before making the movies.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't get the comparison to Star Wars. This movie starts with a peace treaty between aliens. That's nothing like rebels about to get destroyed by a crushing government. You aren't supposed to think Ronan is as bad as Vader because he isn't. He's just a lunatic that wants to murder lots of people. There's no Empire stand-in because the Emprorer is still just an rear end in a top hat smiling on his chair.

I doubt children have difficulty telling that the robot zombies are badguys.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
heavy comic nerdy and laughable speculation below:
Regarding Quill's parentage Between ancient DNA and Angel of pure light, I figure they're making him half Eternal/Titan. I think Adam Warlock is a ridiculous character but if he's Quill's dad here's a plausible blueprint for what they might do: drop distinction between the Titans and Eternals because Eternal sounds cooler most of the time. Make Warlock an Eternal since he has the most convoluted backstory of any Marvel character and that simplifies it. Warlock can then give backstory on Thanos being the evil fuckup of the Eternals and establish why he knows Thanos so well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone can tell who the villain is — it's a question of whether or not they make you feel anything. The villains in Guardians are pretty much just there as a foil for the heroes, which is fine, but it makes their five or six scheming scenes drag and wastes a potentially interesting character and performance in Ronan.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mango sentinel posted:

Regarding Quill's parentage Between ancient DNA and Angel of pure light, I figure they're making him half Eternal/Titan. I think Adam Warlock is a ridiculous character but if he's Quill's dad here's a plausible blueprint for what they might do: drop distinction between the Titans and Eternals because Eternal sounds cooler most of the time. Make Warlock an Eternal since he has the most convoluted backstory of any Marvel character and that simplifies it. Warlock can then give backstory on Thanos being the evil fuckup of the Eternals and establish why he knows Thanos so well.

Except they outright call Thanos "The Mad Titan" in the movie.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Polaron posted:

Except they outright call Thanos "The Mad Titan" in the movie.
I forgot about that. That is the one time Titan sounds cooler. Just go with that then.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

mango sentinel posted:

You know what, equally laughable stuff: I mentioned the Sentry earlier out of pure randomness, and I just realized something: Quill's mom describes his dad as a "golden light" and it is known via comics that the Hulk calls Sentry "golden man." - the colour is largely associated with him. So, hah! That being said, Adam Warlock makes more sense given his connection with the existing Guardians comic story.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kater posted:

I don't get the comparison to Star Wars. This movie starts with a peace treaty between aliens. That's nothing like rebels about to get destroyed by a crushing government. You aren't supposed to think Ronan is as bad as Vader because he isn't. He's just a lunatic that wants to murder lots of people. There's no Empire stand-in because the Emprorer is still just an rear end in a top hat smiling on his chair.

I doubt children have difficulty telling that the robot zombies are badguys.

You know stuff can have similar tones and characters without having identical plots? Rocket and Groot are blatant Han Solo/Chewbacca analogues, as one example.

morestuff posted:

Anyone can tell who the villain is — it's a question of whether or not they make you feel anything. The villains in Guardians are pretty much just there as a foil for the heroes, which is fine, but it makes their five or six scheming scenes drag and wastes a potentially interesting character and performance in Ronan.

Watching the team interact was far more entertaining than anything they could have done to flesh out Ronan. If you don't like the scheming scenes then I don't know how you could like the movie in general.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem is that has nothing to do with the stakes of this film and this story at all. Thanos wanting the infinity gems is a thing that is almost definitely going to be reestablished in whatever film he accomplishes such. The thing that this film serves is to establish that the Infinity Gems are bad news, but you didn't really need Thanos for that.

Yes, clearly the best idea would be to just have the Thanos/Infinity Stones stuff come out of of nowhere in Avengers 3, bogging that movie down with all the required exposition at once. Except, not at all. One of the best parts of these Marvel films is the effort the studio has put in to planning out the story arc of the series, beginning plots in prior films before they appear in full in a later instalment. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with having Thanos in this. He didn't slow down the film in the slightest, and him being in it allowed Marvel to build him up before making him the central villain of a later film. Sure, they COULD have made the film without him, but it would not have even remotely improved it.

Seriously, making all the movies in a series stand-alone/self-contained is not proper or natural storytelling, it's a concession to mass audiences who can't pay attention from film to film. Marvel seems to be having a little more faith in people with these stories (just a little).

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
The long game Marvel/ Disney are playing here is epic

And good on them, the fact that all these movies will tie together is brilliant strategic thinking

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Yes, clearly the best idea would be to just have the Thanos/Infinity Stones stuff come out of of nowhere in Avengers 3, bogging that movie down with all the required exposition at once. Except, not at all.

There is a faction of posters here, including Timeless Appeal, who still hates how Marvel ties their films together. They want them to all be standalone and self contained, when that is clearly not what they are attempting to do, nor has it ever been what they've been attempting to do since the moment Fury showed up in Iron Man. Not liking stuff to be serialized like these are is a valid viewpoint and opinion, but they're never going to get what they want as long as they keep making money. So instead they come here and complain about it, and refuse to budge on the idea that there might be something to this whole universe building, strongly interconnected series of films thing that Marvel is doing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

There is a faction of posters here, including Timeless Appeal, who still hates how Marvel ties their films together. They want them to all be standalone and self contained, when that is clearly not what they are attempting to do, nor has it ever been what they've been attempting to do since the moment Fury showed up in Iron Man. Not liking stuff to be serialized like these are is a valid viewpoint and opinion, but they're never going to get what they want as long as they keep making money. So instead they come here and complain about it, and refuse to budge on the idea that there might be something to this whole universe building, strongly interconnected series of films thing that Marvel is doing.

You can find a happy medium there. If you're going to bother introducing Thanos, it'd be nice to see him doing something more dynamic or interesting than sitting in a chair.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

You can find a happy medium there. If you're going to bother introducing Thanos, it'd be nice to see him doing something more dynamic or interesting than sitting in a chair.

If you're going to introduce the emperor, have him do something more dynamic or interesting than not even appearing in the flesh and having him do nothing but talk.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

If you're going to introduce the emperor, have him do something more dynamic or interesting than not even appearing in the flesh and having him do nothing but talk.

That's one scene vs. four for Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

morestuff posted:

That's one scene vs. four for Thanos.

Thanos talking to Ronan, and Thanos on a screen talking to Ronan...did I miss two somehow?

• Locked thread