Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Hey, if a New Marian liaison could get on the Monteros IRC that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I do believe that you forgot adding me to the Monternos party, Rincewind.
My post is here. I'd appreciate being added, unless I did something somehow wrong.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lynneth posted:

I do believe that you forgot adding me to the Monternos party, Rincewind.
My post is here. I'd appreciate being added, unless I did something somehow wrong.

You didn't actually put ##join in your post. I tried to add everyone who formatted their votes wrong anyway because it's been a while since we've had a session, but it's hard to tell votes from general in-character posting sometimes.

I'll go ahead and add you, but since Monternos is the largest party anyway it doesn't affect the results.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Rincewind posted:

You didn't actually put ##join in your post. I tried to add everyone who formatted their votes wrong anyway because it's been a while since we've had a session, but it's hard to tell votes from general in-character posting sometimes.

Yeah, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you add me to the Guiding light as well? I've posted with the banner a couple of times, but forgot to officially join it when I joined the inclusionists.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Rincewind posted:

I'll go ahead and add you, but since Monternos is the largest party anyway it doesn't affect the results.

Whoops, I totally didn't realise I had to use the '##join' bit. Sorry.

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011
##Join The Faithful

Might as well give another vote to the Milvians. The Church is what held Rome together through countless troubles and is what will do so in the future. Humanism may only prosper while all people know that they are watched over by our loving God.

(I realize I missed the cutoff, but am still posting this so I'm not missed for the next session. If you could add me in after this session finishes, that would be great.)

ConConHead
Apr 9, 2007
Geek-Girl
Too late to ##Join Monternos?

Constanzi Kormilas - Grecian senator and uppity broad

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

pointlesspart posted:

##Join The Faithful

Might as well give another vote to the Milvians. The Church is what held Rome together through countless troubles and is what will do so in the future. Humanism may only prosper while all people know that they are watched over by our loving God.

(I realize I missed the cutoff, but am still posting this so I'm not missed for the next session. If you could add me in after this session finishes, that would be great.)

Welcome aboard. Got Skype?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
##Join Hellenic Restoration

I for one come from a family well known for it's support of the Komnenos family. Unfortunately it seems the majority of the family line has died out. What a shame...

Still, we can do better than this. So I will now be supporting the restoration of the Hellenic Pantheon in hopes that it will forge a new family line to rival the Komnenos!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I know it's a bit too late, and you can add me next round, but I just finished reading this mammoth bloody thread. I only hope that Sinicize vote comes up again soon/next voting period, it kind of sucks we didn't do it.

##join Monternos

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

##Join Adventurer Merchants##

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Since I won't be RPing, but I keep voting,

Pledge me to the Discordians

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The vote closed, and the entire Senate is reelected every session, not carried over, so there's no need to join a party before then.

Remember that even if you didn't join a party for the session, you'll still be able to participate in any votes that come up between now and the next one.

Also, reminder to party leaders that I'd like legislation to be finalized by midnight EST. That's a soft deadline, but I'd like to be able to start playing the next update sooner rather than later.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

##unsubmit Take What is Ours, Restore Law and Order Act
##unsubmit Never Forget Act

The content of these bills should be covered by our coalition partners.

To the New Marians - while I am not as dedicated to the military arts as some of your number, the 5/3/2 composition seems off to me. From my recollections, one wants as much artillery as infantry to cover the "Back Row" of combat, and enough cavalry to cover the flanks. I know some of your number were going to bring this up internally, don't know if they did so. Ultimately, we could leave this up to the Empress - mandating a fixed ratio might tie our hands in the future.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm also not too confident in my ability to keep my armies organized enough to have a consistent ratio, although if legislation is passed to that effect I'll try my best.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rincewind posted:

I'm also not too confident in my ability to keep my armies organized enough to have a consistent ratio, although if legislation is passed to that effect I'll try my best.
Suggestion to our coalition partners: If you must mandate a ratio, make it divisible by 4. 2 infantrymen to one cavalryman to one artillery, for example. Units can more easily be subdivided in this manner.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

I would like to propose amendment to the New Marian Reforms, establishing the size of a Legion at 10,000 men - 4,000 Infantry, 4,000 Artillery, and 2,000 Cavalry. If necessary multiple legions can be deployed together as a single army.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind posted:

I always approach it by having a maximum army size of 10, generally with 5 infantry, 3 cavalry, and 2 artillery. That way I can maintain the ratio, whilst also allowing a degree of flexibility when committing armies to campaigns as instead of having a massive stack of troops designed to crush enemy armies which then inevitably takes massive attrition casualties I can just have multiple smaller armies roaming around ready to concentrate at the first sight of a large enemy force. saving me attrition in the process. It also helps that by having them in smaller armies I very rarely have to split the stacks apart in order to siege every part of an enemies country.

The one disadvantage is that it can sometimes be time consuming when you're wrangling with a dozen separate armies during a campaign.

Edit: Though I'll readily admit that I can be a bit OCD when it comes to armies. Which is why the first hour of any game of Hearts of Iron is always spent grouping together all my fleets and armies into one place so I can organise them into proper fleet/air/army groupings.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lord Windy posted:

##Join Hellenic Restoration

I for one come from a family well known for it's support of the Komnenos family. Unfortunately it seems the majority of the family line has died out. What a shame...

Still, we can do better than this. So I will now be supporting the restoration of the Hellenic Pantheon in hopes that it will forge a new family line to rival the Komnenos!

Hellenic Restoration

Welcome to the best party! Mondays are open bar in honor of Dionysus

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
In light of recent discussion, I think that I shall Exclude the army ratio provision from the bill for now.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

STATEMENT OF INTENTION: The holder of Imperium is rightfully supreme over all the Near West. Therefore, I would replace the meddling Senate with an advisory council formed of delegates from the Emperor/Empress's rightful vassals - France, Da Qin, the Holy Roman Empire, and so on. Talks would be held on their reintegration into the Empire.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Monternos proposes the following three bills.

The Big Trouble Act: Rome shall consider Da Qin a hostile power and rival. Rome shall seek to weaken Da Qin, and if the opportunity arises will attempt to draw them into favorable conflicts.
The An Ounce... Act: Rome shall consider France a hostile power, rival and currently the greatest threat to the Empire's security. Rome shall build forts along the border with France. Rome will seek strategic allies to counter the French threat.
The Education, Education, Education Act: The education system in the Empire will be reformed to give further opportunities to commoners. The Imperial bureaucracy will be reformed to allow for meritocratic advancement regardless of birth.

In addition, Monternos has ceded one of our four allotted bill proposals. The Coalition of Roman Stability jointly proposes the following bill, the Janus Act: The Empire will at the next opportunity unlock Defensive Ideas in order to better secure our threatened borders, as well as change the national focus to administration tech as we badly lag behind there and must needs catch up.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Announcement to members of the Novus Mercator Coalition, I have created a Skype Channel for our use, add Blackunknown on Skype if you want to be a part of it.

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Welcome aboard. Got Skype?

My Skype name is partlesspoint, though I don't use it often. Message me to talk.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Blackunknown posted:

Announcement to members of the Novus Mercator Coalition, I have created a Skype Channel for our use, add Blackunknown on Skype if you want to be a part of it.

Sure, sent in a friend request.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Going ahead and ending the session because I'm really excited about getting back to playing EU4! Since some neat stuff is coming up.

It was a long session, and there was way too much bickering, and the discordians almost collapsed the state more than a century earlier than I planned on them being able to, but in the end you produced some pretty good bills! So the system works.

Coalition for Roman Stability
Monternos: 16
New Marians: 11
Neo-Milvians: 8
Total: 34

Others
Adventurer Merchants:9
Inclusionists: 9

Discordian Strength: 18

The following bills were ##submitted:

Joint Coalition Bills
The Janus Act
The Empire will at the next opportunity unlock Defensive Ideas in order to better secure our threatened borders, as well as change the national focus to administration tech as we badly lag behind there and must needs catch up.

Monternos
The Big Trouble Act:
Rome shall consider Da Qin a hostile power and rival. Rome shall seek to weaken Da Qin, and if the opportunity arises will attempt to draw them into favorable conflicts.
The An Ounce... Act:
Rome shall consider France a hostile power, rival and currently the greatest threat to the Empire's security. Rome shall build forts along the border with France. Rome will seek strategic allies to counter the French threat.
The Education, Education, Education Act:
The education system in the Empire will be reformed to give further opportunities to commoners. The Imperial bureaucracy will be reformed to allow for meritocratic advancement regardless of birth.

New Marians
New Marian Reforms
-Noble heritage is no longer automatically grounds for a commissioned rank and cannot be used as an appeal in military tribunals.
-The Quality idea group is to be acquired as soon as possible.
-As the armies of the doux have been dissolved permanently, the time for a general reorganization of the army has begun. The armies of Rome are now proper legions, loyal to commanders who are loyal to the Empress/eror and to be referred to as such, including military legions temporarily hired on to supplement our ranks.
-The core of these armies are not to be drawn from peasant levies, but a corps of professional soldiers, if at all possible, though desperate times may necessitate widespread conscription.

The Olympic Revival Act
-The military and state shall sponsor sporting and shooting competitions to raise public spirits and to promote fitness and health among the citizens and soldiers of the empire.
-A new competition shall be held in Olympia every four years, bringing together the greatest athletes of the empire. This competition shall be open to all and shall be named the Olympics after the great competition of old. Games, of course, shall include the footrace, the javelin throw, archery, the new sport of skeet, pankration and the sport of emperors: the chariot race.

Neo-Milvians
The Brotherhood of Orthodoxy Act
Relations should be improved with our orthodox neighbors
Patriarchic Authority should be raised to at least 50% and brought no lower

Adventurer Merchants
The Practical Management Act
*The total numbers of the Roman army and navy are not to exceed the appropriate force limits.
*In times of absolute necessity, mercenaries may temporarily be hired to exceed this limit, but are to be fired at the end of the war.
*This statute is to remain in effect until Rome has a monthly surplus of at least fifty ducats.

Inclusionists
Department of Cultural Protection and Representation Act
• A bureaucratic agency will be created with the purpose of overseeing the protection of the traditional rights of our cultural minorities, as well as being a convenient place for said minorities to file complaints. The agency will advise the Empress on necessary changes to better accommodate our minority citizens.
• All administrative efforts will be put towards achieving the Cultural Ties idea in Humanism.
• Finishing the rest of Humanist ideas must remain a major priority, but the Empress may take her time once Cultural Ties have been acquired.
• Once Policies are acquired, one Humanist-tied Policy must be in place at all times. As what policies we will have access to will depend on our later idea groups, the choice of Policy is left to Imperial fiat, at least until future legislation is made.
Spirit of Athens Act I.
- The Douxes have been weakened, however, their influence is still there, and it should be further removed.
- The way the removal shall take place is through reform - change the succession of the douxes to an elective format. All future douxes shall be elected from the local populace.
- Eligible for election shall be all local citizens that have achieved a certain level of education. The Ming have a good idea with their exams and whatever else they have, and we can apply this to our own education system.
No One Stops My Party Act
- The Byzantine Senate shall, at all times, have an open bar.
- Any member of the Komenenos family may use this bar, regardless of membership in the senate, unless a vote is currently taking place.
- Of the signature cocktails of this bar, one shall be named for Consul Scruffles. The specific recipe for a Scruffles are open to debate.
Revised Black Tortoise Act
- Buildup and repair of border forts shall be given a higher priority than rebuilding the army itself.
- Homeland administration resources shall be invested in further improving the frontier provinces.
- Consideration should be given to taking the Defensive idea set.

In the events of conflict, coalition bills take precedence over outside bills. Within the coalition, larger parties take precedence over smaller parties. If you've submitted more bills than you have slots, a bill is selected by imperial fiat (for the Inclusionists, I've respected their major/minor bill divide). If you hadn't used all your slots, then, well, sorry. I gotta get started on the next update!

The following bills were enacted.
The Coalition: 1 (Janus Act)
Monternos: 3 (Big Trouble Act, Once Act, EEE Act)
New Marians: 3 (New Marian Reforms, TOR Act)
Neo-Milvians: 1 (BOO Act)

The Others
Adventurer Merchants: 2 (The Practical Management Act)
Incusionists: 2 (DCPR Act, SOA Act)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Shame, we should be eliminating the Douxes entirely, not electing them. Good solid Imperial governors, thats the way to go. Ah, plenty of time for it. Pretty good slate for the most part.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

sniper4625 posted:

Shame, we should be eliminating the Douxes entirely, not electing them. Good solid Imperial governors, thats the way to go. Ah, plenty of time for it. Pretty good slate for the most part.

It's a start at least, now they'll start losing more power from not having pre-established power bases. Although I say we should keep them around and just use them as target practice for the troops whenever they start acting up.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I must say, I am outraged that I will continue to have to come to these sessions sober. In the future, at least until the situation is less stable, I encourage all Discordians to join the Komenenian Restoration so that I (or Senator Duckbag, if he's not too hung over) can ram through as many pointless acts of decadence as possible. What better way to destroy the senate than an mandatory 5 drink minimum?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GoatLord posted:

I must say, I am outraged that I will continue to have to come to these sessions sober. In the future, at least until the situation is less stable, I encourage all Discordians to join the Komenenian Restoration so that I (or Senator Duckbag, if he's not too hung over) can ram through as many pointless acts of decadence as possible. What better way to destroy the senate than an mandatory 5 drink minimum?

I'm a military man, I already have a five drink minimum.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PART THIRTY-NINE: Little Trouble in Big China (1508-1519)

More from Theochriste I Radziwiłł's "A True Account of My Life & Deeds for the Archives of the Black Chamber"

After the failure of the motion to Sinicize the empire, the Senate adjourned.

The Senate that returned in 1508 was a troubled one.

Oh, in the end it looked a lot like the Senate that had dispersed over the provinces some months prior-- Monternos on top, New Marians calling for army reforms, the Neo-Milvians trying to convince everyone the church is important, and so on.

But many Senators had, for various reasons, given up on the whole idea of the Senate. Some just argued that if China didn't have a Senate, why did Rome? Some believed in radical political changes beyond the nebulous "modernization" so many of the main parties called for. Some simply disliked the Senate for supporting policies they disagreed with, and wanted to tear the whole thing down. And some were just nuts. Which, I suppose, was an argument against the Senate in and of itself.

The so-called "Discordian" faction of the Senate has been around for ages, of course. But it'd never been important like this before. It was more than just a trashcan to throw all the worst Senators in. It was a threat to the Senate itself.

So to hold things together, Monternos, the New Marians, and the neo-Milvians all banded together into a coalition to keep the Discordians from knocking over the whole golden apple cart of state.

Three parties with three distinct philosophies became a three-headed dragon.

Or, well, Monternos had two leaders, and the Neo-Milvians had three, so really it was a six-headed dragon.

Either way, Monternos types were getting all buddy buddy with Unitas, which was a tad... disturbing.

Don't get me wrong. The legislation the Senate passed was, by and large, very practical.

We eliminated military regiments beyond what could be supported by our infrastructure.

Ditto for the fleets.

We made every effort to catch up to the rest of the world in administrative technology.

And thanks to the improved state of the budget after streamlining the military, we were able to prevent our administrative focus from causing a diplomatic shortfall.

We even let the commoners think they had a bit of a voice in how their themes were governed. This would not only marginalize the doukes, but also sap the outside pressure the Discordians depended upon to bolster their strength in the Senate halls.

Or so we hoped.

And under the aegis of the New Marians, we'd train all those discontented serfs into a more productive occupation.

And with France and the Pope breathing down our necks, Senatorial calls to built military infrastructure in Italy were certainly prudent.

Meanwhile, we watched Da Qin carefully, looking for a chance to counter their rising power and avenge the Roman armies they massacred in our war with Ao Di Li.

Meanwhile, within the empire, the humanist policies of the Inclusionists bore unexpected fruit:

A slate of sensible, productive legislation.

With absolutely no drawbacks whatsoever.

Now, the Monternos did not explicitly call for war with Da Qin. But they did say, "if the opportunity arises will attempt to draw them into favorable conflicts."

The breakdown in civility between the two greatest successor states of the Ming Frontier Army certainly seemed like an opportunity.

And an anti-Da Qin coalition founded by Yilang tended to lend itself to favorable conflict.

Somehow, I doubt that, when Yilang declared a grand coalition against Da Qin, they imagined that they'd wind up having to help Rome regain some of the territory it had lost to Chang Yuchun himself.

Or maybe they didn't care. Anything that hurt Da Qin was probably all right by them by this point.

"The Ming Successor States" is a political concept that has crossed the threshold of obsolescence. Suo Ma Li was destroyed by the Somalis decades ago, Lai Ang has its own political and diplomatic problems and aspirations, Da Qin and the 'rebellious vassal' Ao Di Li were loyal allies, Da Qin and the Yilang Empire ruled by Chang Yuchun's direct descendants were mortal enemies.

They're just countries, really. Our neighbors, enemies, allies, frenemies. Is the situation really any different from the succession of Turkish and Arabic dynasties the Byzantines faced off against in the east? What's the difference between Da Qin and the Seljuks, the Saimids, the Gauhar Ayin, the Baytasids, and all the rest?

More guns, bigger guns, better guns. And a different prestige language to lord it over the vernacular, I suppose.

We decided to meet the initial probing attack by the Da Qin with overwhelming force.

Can you blame us for getting a bit cocky?

Ao Di Li was easily overwhelmed by our western allies...

But with our western allies in Austria, and Yilang needing to mop up a brief war against some prince of the Indian League or another before marching west, we were left to hold the frontier on our own.

Still, we had three large armies in the field. We were confident that if Da Qin attacked one, we could reinforce it with the other two and win the day.

Oh well, our other two armies should still arrive together and overwhelm the Da Qin, right?

Hm. Well, the first two armies must have softened the Da Qin up so much the third army will prevail, right?

The Neo-Milvians took the opportunity to remind the autocephalous patriarchs of Orthodoxy that, while they are autocephalous, they are also Orthodox and therefore should adhere to orthodoxy.

They're right, I suppose. And the increased authority of the Ecumenical Patriarchate did its part to deliver more soldiers to our armies, so it was very useful given that we'd just suffered three appalling looses to the Da Qin...

Manpower was everything, of course. It was our one advantage over Da Qin. They had better equipment, better guns, better generals. But most of their empire was desert. We still had enough displaced serfs, talented olympians, etc. to just skim off and send west to replace all the soldiers we just lost.

So this wouldn't be a repeat of the war with Ao Di Li, where we were forced to just stand around and watch while the frontiers were overrun. We could counterattack. We could push them back.

And a military victory goes a long way to establish oneself as an empress who gets things done; an empress worth fighting for.

We advanced beyond the frontier.

Yilang's armies finally arrived in the west, opening up a second front.

(And soldiers weren't the only thing the Yilangese brought to the table...)

Meanwhile, Ao Di Li was all like, "gently caress this."

Our allies were free to assist us in the north...

...and then bring their forces to bear against Da Qin itself.

After that, winning battles suddenly seemed a lot easier.

After that, it was only a matter of time until Da Qin caved.

Of course, our victory was hardly without cost. Our vast reserves of manpower (well, they weren't France vast, but you know what I mean) were severely depleted.

Confusingly, Greek nationalists among the Greeks we'd just liberated from Da Qin rose in revolt.

The other addition to our empire, Krain, was more amenable to Roman administration.

And anyway, the veteran survivors of our campaign in Da Qin were more than capable of dealing with a few rebels.

I was feeling fairly confident about our ability to administer a large-- and growing-- swath of territory.

Judicious use of force would still be necessary, of course. But hopefully not forever.

But as soon as one brushfire was put out, another one started up. It seemed that the ungrateful peasantry of Sicily were slightly less enthused with their place in the empire than their di Chios kings.

We were having trouble implementing some of the more ambitious Senatorial programs across the board, really. Still, most problems can be fixed by throwing soldiers or silver at them. Or both, sometimes.

Throwing soldiers at rebellions tends to solve rebellions right quick. But attrition was taking its toll on our poor veterans...

And then the empire exploded.

Was it the Discordians provoking the serfs into a frothy rage? Were they upset about all the family members of theirs we sent to die fighting Da Qin? Did foreign agent provocateurs spin wild tales of slaughter and atrocity out of our skirmishes with rebels?

You know what?

gently caress this.

Everything I've done-- babysitting squabbling senators, conquering the Adriatic, defeating mighty Da Qin in battle, building an empire to benefit all of the ungrateful and illiterate serfs whose welfare and enlightenment I have perversely been assigned responsibility for-- did it all lead to this?

Well, have it your way, you smelly dirt farmers, you mouth-breathing rustics, you assorted peasant swine and torch-wielding malcontents.

I shall once more ride into battle.

And I'll kill every last one of you.

Mark my words.

You're all dead.

THEODORA II RADZIWILL • CROWNED DECEMBER 8th, 1519

WORLD MAP, 1514 (Before our war with Da Qin ended, but it's the closest I could find-- this is a split update. Expect the exciting sequel shortly)

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
:toot: Cultural Ties!

Also hahaha holy poo poo Peasant's War. This will be fun.

Edit: Also which state is the yellow blob north of Yilang and bordering Kiev? Because I am proud of it.

GSD fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 6, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
For anyone who says that this is completely awful, you are right. But you have no idea how much worse it would be without Humanist ideas.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Peasant's Wars are pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a nation, especially one as large as Rome, and even more especially considering how far behind we are in admin. This will keep us in the hole for a while longer, but hopefully it won't burn everything down.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A "Peasant's War"?! What does this mean, hmm? Only that Unitas has been right since its founding! All this frothing human filth, Lombards, Sicilians, Turks, Pechenegs, and even revolutionaries, they are fighting for one reason: they don't believe they are Romans! It all could have been avoided if we had done one thing, long ago: Romanized them! These peasants don't see themselves as Romans, and do you know why? We never let them! We didn't encourage it, didn't sponsor it, just the opposite, with laws now being enacted by the vile Inclusionists to further solidify the the great walls of separation! We have denied them the privilege of being Roman: is it any wonder they seek to deny us the privilege of ruling them?

And don't whine of the Greek rebels! They have been under the heel of Da Qin for some time now, and what do they find when they are finally home? A Rome without Romans!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 6, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

My colleague is ultimately correct. Emphasizing and enforcing cultural minorities encourages regional separatism, which in turn breeds revolt. We should be emphasizing and embracing what we have in common, our Roman identity, instead of what makes us different, which only serves to divide.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Actually, the one thing that didn't trigger this was ethnic tensions. It's more of a gigantic clusterfuck of dying in the wars, having no money, extreme taxation, the backwards institution of feudalism, a government seen as somewhat illegitimate in the light of some failed policies and especially the dying in the wars and having no money (both us and them) bit. Also, maybe, maybe it might have something to do with the cadre of complete lunatics in the senate who wanted exactly this to happen. That might have helped, yes.

Edit: in fact, our cultural ties and well-treatment of our minorities is just about the only thing not making the situation much, much worse.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

NewMars posted:

Actually, the one thing that didn't trigger this was ethnic tensions. It's more of a gigantic clusterfuck of dying in the wars, having no money, extreme taxation, the backwards institution of feudalism, a government seen as somewhat illegitimate in the light of some failed policies and especially the dying in the wars and having no money (both us and them bit. Also, maybe, maybe it might have something to do with the cadre of complete lunatics in the senate who wanted exactly this to happen. That might have helped, yes.

You are correct that there are those in this very chamber who delight in this misfortune, and we must remain vigilant. While their threat remains omnipresent, we are entering into a most critical era of Roman history, I believe. Whether for good or for ill, we shall see.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too long have we crushed our peasants under the millstone that is our empire. When we demand they work and die for us, for nothing in return, how could they not revolt? We must not, cannot, just be an empire of and for the high and mighty, but an empire of all of our citizens.
We must better incorporate them into our state. Perhaps the senate could be expanded, to include a lower house peopled peasant leaders. A sort of House of Tribunes, I suppose.

Our great senate did once have two (physical) houses, though both old establishments have not been used in almost a millennium. Perhaps it is time again had two holdings, though one would be for this new establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Peasants? In the Senate? Madness! If you had proposed a house of men of means, education, or other qualifications, that would be one thing, but to entrust any part of our government to the uneducated, unwashed rabble? It'd be as though we had let the Discordians win in the first place.

• Locked thread