Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dutymode posted:

Is it low-balling if you offer KBB for a bike priced twice as much?

Unless he spray painted the entire bike gold, I wouldn't pay above KBB or NADA values. I'd just send them a message with a link to the guide's value and go from there.

I've found that making an outright offer isn't generally the best route, but talking to them for a bit to let them know you're seriously interested, and then asking if they can do any better on the price is a good method for buying used stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or you just decide what your price is, say to them "I'll give you $n", and don't haggle even the slightest. If they say no, walk away and say "you've got my number, give me a call if you change your mind." If your offer was reasonable and they're a reasonable person the sale will happen. If it was a serious lowball, it might now. If they're being stubborn with an unrealistic price, it won't.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This one was too good not to post, even though it's a sled.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4534065486.html

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
$1,500 1989 KLR. I know you guys like that :krad: blue & green color scheme.

edit: $55.00 - $125.00 Skeleton Suit depending on size.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 1, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hell yeah I'm going to go dress up like a skeleton and chase some Wop kid up a fence.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Really?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know dude, really..? You'd chase a kid up a fence?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey it was the eighties; it was a different time.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hay, guns, dogs or parrots you choose!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The bike would be more fun, but the yorkie will last longer before dying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh god, here is something you don't see every day

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 8, 2014

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

I.... hm... uhh....

Well....

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4556024757.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That is a pretty good viking burial for a blast. I figure wadding it up into a tree is a better fate then being wadded up in Erik's crusher.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

That is a pretty good viking burial for a blast. I figure wadding it up into a tree is a better fate then being wadded up in Erik's crusher.

This is correct.

Any modification to a Blast is good because the Blast is terrible. Blast dirt bike is rad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For a couple of minutes I was trying to figure out what on earth was wrong with the rear wheel until I realized that inner thing is the belt "sprocket", not part of the rear wheel. drat that thing is massive :psyduck:

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I figured this would be the best thread to ask this. For financial and practical reasons, I have to sell my motorcycle. I bought it a couple of years ago and had a blast with it, but I haven't ridden in about a year and a half, and I really need to purchase a new vehicle that can handle winter.

I've never sold a motorcycle before, and I don't really know what my next step should be. The bike has been sitting under a cover for a year and a half outdoors (on the tires :( I know that's stupid but I didn't intend to leave it for so long). I stabilized the fuel and put the battery on a tender, but that's all the preparation I did before leaving it to sit. Would it be a good idea to pay a mechanic to have a look at the bike to accurately gauge what kind of maintenance it needs/its value? Are there any risks I run by putting the battery back in and starting it myself?

EDIT: I forgot to say. It's an 03 SV650s.

Grimes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 9, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
See if it runs. If it does, put air in the tires and make a Craigslist ad. If it doesn't, change out the water-diluted fuel for fresh stuff and start it up, then put air in the tires and make a Craigslist ad.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Get ready for people offering you guns in exchange for your motorcycle.

Guns(tm) the currency of the future.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Grimes posted:

Would it be a good idea to pay a mechanic to have a look at the bike to accurately gauge what kind of maintenance it needs?

Don't bother. Nobody on craigslist is going to believe you actually did this, so you're just throwing money at the mechanic.

Be honest, use a burner email account (you will get so much spam and bullshit) and prepare for a lot of people who get pissed off you won't sell it to them for $50.

Absolutely do what clutchpuck said. "Ran when parked" is a red flag for most folks, whereas "runs but needs work" will at least get a closer look.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Chances are it will just start right back up and run fine. You've done more preparation for storage than most people have. The tires may be a little hard but if they hold air gently caress it - let the next guy buy a new set and knock 100 bucks off the price if that entices them.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Grimes posted:

Where you located at? Post it up in the selling thread and I'm sure a goon would be interested. Goons love some sv650 action.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TheNothingNew posted:

use a burner email account (you will get so much spam and bullshit)

Sort of unnecessary. Craigslist is pretty good about masking your email these days.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Sort of unnecessary. Craigslist is pretty good about masking your email these days.

Oh? Nice. My info is a few years out of date, selling the wife's Jeep. Thanks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finally stumbled across one of these ads in my own browsing. http://wyoming.craigslist.org/mcy/4570552445.html

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Grimes posted:

I figured this would be the best thread to ask this. For financial and practical reasons, I have to sell my motorcycle. I bought it a couple of years ago and had a blast with it, but I haven't ridden in about a year and a half, and I really need to purchase a new vehicle that can handle winter.

I've never sold a motorcycle before, and I don't really know what my next step should be. The bike has been sitting under a cover for a year and a half outdoors (on the tires :( I know that's stupid but I didn't intend to leave it for so long). I stabilized the fuel and put the battery on a tender, but that's all the preparation I did before leaving it to sit. Would it be a good idea to pay a mechanic to have a look at the bike to accurately gauge what kind of maintenance it needs/its value? Are there any risks I run by putting the battery back in and starting it myself?

Your risk is that it might not start. If it doesn't start, drain the fuel (including any fuel in whatever lines/carbs/whatever it has) and put in some fresh gas.

Also, if you're in Houston then you're in luck! All but the shittiest SVs are going for north of 3500 here. I really don't understand why. I can buy a brand new SFV650 for what some people are asking for their (admittedly nice looking) SVs.

e: It "needs" fresh fluids (all of them), and possibly a cleaning of whatever non-carb EFI magic is going on with the fueling system. Also probably new tires and a new chain/sprockets if it's rusted. If you're selling it on CL then just make sure there's no water in the oil, make sure it has fresh gas and can start, and go from there. If the tires or chain/sprockets are especially awful then change them. Don't bother paying a mechanic to clean the forks out, brake fluids, etc.

You'll still be better than most people selling bikes on CL just by doing that.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 23, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh hey this looks kind of interesting
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/calgary/moto-guzzi-dual-sport-1100-rare/1005169841?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/smart_money/122_1206_1999_to_2000_moto_guzzi_quota_1100_es/

quote:

The Quota was one of Moto Guzzi’s famous engineering answers to questions no one asked. The nearly 600-lb. (wet), shaft-driven machine first appeared in 1992 as the Europe-only Quota 1000. Seven years later,it motored onto U.S. shores with fuel-injection and more displacement as the Quota 1100 ES. Guzzisti promptly discovered that the bike’s combination of torquey twin-cylinder engine, large load-carrying capacity and pothole-eating, long-travel suspension made it a capable all-rounder.

The powerplant is a 1064cc version of Guzzis’ venerable air-cooled, two-valve, 90-degree, longitudinal V-twin. Suspension is by Marzocchi with a 42mm fork up front. The stout steel frame is bulky, but rigid. Optional hard side and top cases are equally suited to overnight trips or grocery-getting.

Many Quotas left dealerships without having their EFI systems proper set-up, so throttle response is often poor. A full tune-up will pay dividends. Original computers were recalled, so an updated ECU helps improve running. In desperation, some owners even reverted to carburetors! Watch for driveline and universal joint wear (or failure) after about 50,000 miles. The Excel aluminum rims can crack at the spoke holes, and tip-overs easily damage the plastic bodywork.

Retrofitting an older 7/33 rear drive box (around $500 used on eBay) will lower gearing and benefit acceleration significantly while still allowing a near 100-mph top speed. The long, 2-into-1 exhaust and restrictive muffler cost some top-end power. Install an aftermarket pipe, sort out the fueling and a Quota will dyno at an even 62 bhp and 62 lb.-ft. of torque. Stiffen the soft stock suspension with aftermarket fork springs
Oh.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If I knew this would be around for a while, it'd be really tempting to put my Uly up for sale and turn the cash around on this tuber Lightning.

http://seattle.en.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4581146175.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:mmmhmm: How to do an ad right:

1978 Suzuki GS750 Cafe Racer - $1600

CL posted:

Bikers of Craigslist:

This is it! Your chance to command one of the finest two wheeled machines ever built. This posting is for a 1978 Suzuki GS 750, the wizened grandaddy of today's crotch rocket. Made from melted down Samurai Swords and pieces of old Jap destroyers from WW2, this baby will make ladies swoon and neighbors call the cops. But don't worry, them pigs wont never catch you because your rear end will be speeding away like a 1970's bat out of hell.

This old hog comes chocked full of upgrades, and is about one bad-rear end seat away from being a fully functional, bonafide cafe racer. Hop onto that smooth vinyl seat and turn the key, how you gonna turn this girl on? Hit the starter button and let a brand new battery turn her over, or zip up your man suit and stomp down on that tried and true kick-starter? The choice is yours! Now you got her going, just listen to that brand new (less than 200 miles) Mac 4 into 1 exhaust purr. And you know old girl is breathing through a new set of pod style air filters, guaranteed to make folks cower in fear... Oh did I mention, her carbs and tank were just cleaned by Brook's Cycles in Chantilly so you know she can roll.

Does she have a few war wounds? You bet your sweet nuts she does. But nobody kicks 23,000 miles of rear end without a few dents on the tank and contact cover. Are you tough enough to fix them up and have yourself a show-stopping cafe hog? Or are you so drat cool that you don't mind cruising on a battle hardened, seasoned warlord like this GS 750? Its up to you.

Squeaky clean title in hand and more info than you probably want to hear is available upon request.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Hilarious, dude should consider applying to write for the front page.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
There's a dude local to me who writes similarly awesome kijiji ads. A recent one referred to a UJM as "the millennium falcon of motorbikes".

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

If I knew this would be around for a while, it'd be really tempting to put my Uly up for sale and turn the cash around on this tuber Lightning.

http://seattle.en.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4581146175.html

Those are cool but imho the S1 looks better.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4591906325.html

I don't care about Kawasaki's history, I just want to killscare myself.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Looks like an appropriate tool to do it with.

Question for the people on here that play around with project bikes - what do you use for mending fairings? The last couple I've used fibreglass/bondo, but the crack I'm looking to fix is quite small and I feel that plastic welding would be more appropriate. Same question goes for the fairing mounting nubs, which always break off. Can I just buy a plastic welding rig, or even cheaper, some sort of epoxy/glue that works with plastic and do that? I've done some (probably 15 years ago) plastic welding, but that was a different material, and in a commercial setting, so they had super-fancy welding guns.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Simkin posted:

Looks like an appropriate tool to do it with.

Question for the people on here that play around with project bikes - what do you use for mending fairings? The last couple I've used fibreglass/bondo, but the crack I'm looking to fix is quite small and I feel that plastic welding would be more appropriate. Same question goes for the fairing mounting nubs, which always break off. Can I just buy a plastic welding rig, or even cheaper, some sort of epoxy/glue that works with plastic and do that? I've done some (probably 15 years ago) plastic welding, but that was a different material, and in a commercial setting, so they had super-fancy welding guns.

For the tabs I've seen people mold and pour mew ones. The most effective fix I've see was someone that heated up brass tabs or bolts and presses then into the plastic.

here's a guy that just made his own sidecover:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/images/fabricate_sidecover.pdf

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 31, 2014

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-1980-Honda-Xr500-W0QQAdIdZ1008077455

Dear God

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
That's one hell of a deal on a bush bike. Too bad I'm no longer local, otherwise I'd be trying to figure out how to play 4 bike tetris in a small garage.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Simkin posted:

That's one hell of a deal on a bush bike. Too bad I'm no longer local, otherwise I'd be trying to figure out how to play 4 bike tetris in a small garage.

Please buy it and will your remaining bikes to me

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Flat track that beast. The front brake is just unnecessary weight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcd/4595182551.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

APikeyReaction
Apr 13, 2007

Snowmobile ho’s on a cocaine mountain... Makin’ so much dough, better call my account’n!
Seems like a good deal....

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4601418692.html