Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It looked so drat expensive to make, I'm not shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The producer talks a bit about a possible sequel.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dredd-Producer-Gets-Real-About-Dredd-2-Development-42835.html

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Of course the producer of Dredd would look like this.

"I'm not some douchebag in a suit."

Clearly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And suddenly, Mama's gang having perfectly styled heads of hair all make sense...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Clearly.

If the drummer from EYEHATEGOD can produce Dredd, what's the holdup on Dredd 2?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
A very quick glace at a thumbnail lead me to believe for a second that it was Jared Leto.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is he also the silly-haired henchman who gets napalmed in the movie? I think he might be.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
He produced both Dredd and The Grey. He's okay in my book.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is he also the silly-haired henchman who gets napalmed in the movie? I think he might be.

Don't think it's him...

e: I just googled "Dredd Wig" and the internet delivered

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
When you dress and look like that producer, why would you not give yourself a cameo?

Electromax posted:

Don't think it's him...

My screencap from way back in the thread immortalized in GIS. The most superfluous of achievements.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Electromax posted:

Don't think it's him...

Dredd continues the bizarre cinema tradition of gangsters who dress like weirdos.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Clearly.

Well, he's certainly not in a suit at least.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dude looks like he could have been in the movie as is. Maybe a pair of golden kneepads and peek-a-bum pants, and he'd fit right in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Szmitten posted:

Well, he's certainly not in a suit at least.
Yeah I'd much rather this dude produce Dredd movies than some suit or a whole committee of them.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Clearly.

All of a sudden the reason for the hold-up for Dredd 2 is becoming clear. I can only imagine the unwarranted hostility when a studio executive asked for the dailies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Either that or his eyeliner Sharpie ran dry.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Justin Godscock posted:

All of a sudden the reason for the hold-up for Dredd 2 is becoming clear. I can only imagine the unwarranted hostility when a studio executive asked for the dailies.
I'm told Dredd was an independent film. But he would have to impress investors too, eh?

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Yeah - the dude certainly dresses like a Dredd extra, but I've enjoyed everything he's been involved with that I've seen. His bootleg marvel shorts (Punisher - Laundry Day and Venom - Truth In Journalism) left me wanting more.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Akalies posted:

Yeah - the dude certainly dresses like a Dredd extra, but I've enjoyed everything he's been involved with that I've seen. His bootleg marvel shorts (Punisher - Laundry Day and Venom - Truth In Journalism) left me wanting more.

I didn't realize it was the same dude - the Laundry Day short was everything I'd wanted from a Punisher film.

This is still my fallback, "nothing is on but I want something on in the background" movie.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

13Pandora13 posted:

I didn't realize it was the same dude - the Laundry Day short was everything I'd wanted from a Punisher film.

This is still my fallback, "nothing is on but I want something on in the background" movie.

"Do you know the difference between justice, and punishment?"

Thomas Jane owns, I wish they could pull off a proper Punisher movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
They did, three times!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

MA-Horus posted:

"Do you know the difference between justice, and punishment?"

Thomas Jane owns, I wish they could pull off a proper Punisher movie.

Not only is the Thomas Jane Punisher movie good, I'm here to tell you that War Zone was, in it's own way, the finest comic book movie ever made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Punisher: War Zone is loving amazing. All of that over-the-top, teenage-testorone-fueled "gritty brutality" that permeates the concept of The Punisher is captured beautifully in this film.

If the opening scene of the movie doesn't sell you on the film, I don't know what to say...

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

War Zone might be my favourite comic book movie, I'll have to rewatch it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Punisher is kind of a dumb comic, so War Zone being a dumb action movie is pretty fitting. And I mean that as a person that actually likes The Punisher character and War Zone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Punisher MAX is excellent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seconded. It's both kinda neat and really frustrating that War Zone took the actual content of Punisher MAX and filmed it with the tone of Batman Forever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The problem i had with Punisher War Zone was that it was really boring and the action sucked and the villains were awful

(it was a really bad movie)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Especially Slavers, maybe because Ennis got genuinely angry when researched for the story.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Alhazred posted:

Especially Slavers, maybe because Ennis got genuinely angry when researched for the story.

Oh interesting. Do you have a ready link for this?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ennis is so goddamn good at coming up with really hateable villains its unfair. Whatever flaws he has as a writer, his villains are always amazing. I like that with "The Boys," he went in the opposite direction, and wrote a cold, distant villain instead. Its his real talent.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wish there was a good Punisher MAX adaptation, but at the same time I'm pretty okay with War Zone the way it is. It feels like a spiritual predecessor to Hobo with a Shotgun.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm not really in to comics at all,but The Boys looks really interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

It is, halfway.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Parachute posted:

Superheroes are dumb and fake and spend all their time loving each other.

I just saved you a bunch of time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Huff puff someone talking about The Boys in here

Terror Sweat posted:

Superheroes are dumb and fake and spend all their time loving each other.

I just saved you a bunch of time

I mean it's not like it's also a comic about hate and revenge and how they're terrible things that will drag you under and good people getting caught up in awful horrible things and trying their best to survive without being like the people they hate and how the MIC is bullshit and the comics industry is loving trash. There's actually a ton of stuff going on in that book but,
It is absolutely the most Garth Ennis book imaginable. It's got so many things I love but then the next page will invariably be a poop/dick joke and I'm like goddammit Garth.

Alhazred posted:

I think it was Sims who said that Ennis made his run work because he realized that Frank is basically a blank void of characterization and the way to make the comic work is to build up his opponents as truly awful pieces of poo poo so that when a literal violent sociopath murders them you'll still cheer for him. And then he wrote an arc where the villain is a white slavery ring and one man gets disemboweled while alive and another man gets burned alive and a tape of that gets sent back to their bosses as a warning and I'm entirely unsurprised that Ennis was actually angry while writing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Literally The Worst posted:

It is absolutely the most Garth Ennis book imaginable. It's got so many things I love but then the next page will invariably be a poop/dick joke and I'm like goddammit Garth.

I used to say the quintessential Ennis book would be titled Perverted Superhero War Stories. Then he did exactly that in The Boys, and I was justified.

The Boys suffers in the same way as Preacher in that it's a fantastic 24-36 issue story padded out to more than twice that with weird (mostly sexual) poo poo. If Ennis had stuck to the point, both books would be better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

I used to say the quintessential Ennis book would be titled Perverted Superhero War Stories. Then he did exactly that in The Boys, and I was justified.

The Boys suffers in the same way as Preacher in that it's a fantastic 24-36 issue story padded out to more than twice that with weird (mostly sexual) poo poo. If Ennis had stuck to the point, both books would be better.

Nah, Preacher's problem was that the main plot was angry gently caress YOU DAD poo poo and the book suffered any time he went back to that. The Boys' problem was he didn't know when to quit being a gross dude making gross jokes, and the best parts were, much like Preacher, the parts where they deal with things that aren't quite part of the main plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Yep. There is a really decent thruline in the Boys but it's maybe like 18-24 issues of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yep. There is a really decent thruline in the Boys but it's maybe like 18-24 issues of story.

Some of the best stuff though is the weird little side outings that aren't an essential part of the book, like Preacher.

• Locked thread