Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
People still make a ton of cash sell rhino horns and elephant tusks. Selling what some people thought were unicorn horns would be massively profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Elephant skulls used were valuable because people thought they were the remains of cyclops'.

Which is a pretty honest mistake when you look at them.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Some of you may be interested in this thing I threw together today, clarifies the real-world inspirations behind the designs of some of the Bride's Story crew (and makes me hungry for kabobs):

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Some of you may be interested in this thing I threw together today, clarifies the real-world inspirations behind the designs of some of the Bride's Story crew (and makes me hungry for kabobs):

Very nifty that. :)

Also, as far as the Narwhal tusks go I wonder if Haalfdan wants to see if our dear Thorfinn is willing to lie and cheat which is what it takes to sell Narwhal tusks at a good price. Is that a part of his pride that he is willing to sell?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The first volume of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's Genghis Khan was translated.

http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/07/chinggis-khan-v1.html

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Guyver posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this, it's actually pretty interesting!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Guyver posted:

I've liked both Date Masamune and Sangokushi so I'm up for more Yokoyama historial stuff.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A new Chapter of Historie is out (86).

Man that was a short and bittersweet meeting there. :gbsmith: Charon been holding that guilt for a long long time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So touching!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/263111/vinland-saga_ch106_by_4chan/1

New Vinland Chapter

Those who said Unicorns, you are absolutely correct

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ha! Far from entering the final leg of the journey, it looks like we're in for a few years of Byzantine Saga first! I did not see that coming at all. Can't wait!

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Wowsers.

Looks like they're off to Byzantium! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/263111/vinland-saga_ch106_by_4chan/19

Well, I suppose Grikkland means Greek land, thus the Byzantine Empire.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Miklagard is the viking name for Istanbul.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Poor Gudrid! :smith: I wish she could come along to Fishman IslandGreekland too!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Mikl posted:

Just to improve/ruin everyone else's day, Miklagard and Istanbul have the same number of syllables, so they substitute nicely in song. In case you know any songs about Istanbul.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eiba posted:

Ha! Far from entering the final leg of the journey, it looks like we're in for a few years of Byzantine Saga first! I did not see that coming at all. Can't wait!
This is going to be amazing. A globetrotting quest! Hopefully Gudrid finds a way to tag along.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mikl posted:

Nah, it won't be Istanbul until close to a millennia later.

Wouldn't it be faster just to go through the straits of Gibraltar? If the vikings have already made it to Constantinople they should know that they can just sail around Spain.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nah, it won't be Istanbul until close to a millennia later.

Wouldn't it be faster just to go through the straits of Gibraltar? If the vikings have already made it to Constantinople they should know that they can just sail around Spain.

Nah, if you look at a globe, the Russian route is a good bit shorter. And a good portion of the journey will be downriver. Keep in mind Constantinople is way back at the end of the Mediterranean. Also, even if Vikings had raided and probably traded a little bit through the straights of Gibraltar, the Russian rivers were the established and well traveled trade route between Scandinavia and Greece. Lief would have a bunch more familiarity with that route than the one that would take him near zero Norse settlements.

A minor historical point about names, in case anyone doesn't know- no one called the Byzantine Empire the Byzantine Empire when it was around. Contemporaries in Western Europe would call it the Greek Empire or something like that (Grikkland), while they simply referred to themselves as the Roman Empire. Because they were.

Thorfinn's going to visit the capital of the Roman Empire to sell Unicorn horns.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah they believed themselves to the continuation of the Roman empire and called themselves as such. A lot of the history is pretty fascinating

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
The Varangian Guard will undoubtedly be making an appearance. I think they were fleetingly mentioned at some point before, or a minor character was with them? I can't remember. I'm getting the feeling that they're going to be bumping into an old friend, or will get busted trying to sell fake unicorn horns to the emperor or something.

http://imgur.com/dUWQ5l8 :coal:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's times like these that I am glad that I spent so much time playing Crusader Kings 2, because I totally get all the geography they talked about in this chapter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Awww yeah, let's go to loving Greece. Let's loving do this Yukimura, let's make this happen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I am looking forward to this so much more than Farming Saga.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I cannot wait to see Yukimura depict Constantinople.

I hope the crew makes it there okay. :ohdear:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure that around the time the comic takes place the Varangian Guard switches from being Nordic to overwhelmingly Anglo-Saxon. With a larger flood coming after William the Conqueror shows up on the scene. I have no loving idea what year it is in this story any longer so you may just well see Basil II blind 14000 Bulgarians. And generously leave 1000 of them with just a single eye to lead the procession back home.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

YouTuber posted:

I'm pretty sure that around the time the comic takes place the Varangian Guard switches from being Nordic to overwhelmingly Anglo-Saxon. With a larger flood coming after William the Conqueror shows up on the scene. I have no loving idea what year it is in this story any longer so you may just well see Basil II blind 14000 Bulgarians. And generously leave 1000 of them with just a single eye to lead the procession back home.
Harald had just died when the farm cast met Canute, so it should be 1018 or 1019.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

tonberrytoby posted:

Harald had just died when the farm cast met Canute, so it should be 1018 or 1019.

Which means we may get an interlude with Canute's son being born!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

Using real world knowledge leads to contradictory dates. The real Thorfinn Karlsefni went to Vinland in 1010. That's before Sven Forkbeard was proclaimed King of England.

I guess there's a lot of differences between history's Thorfinn and ours, so it may just be his life that's different, but I wouldn't take too much stock in dates in any case. Yukimura can do what he wants with history, for the sake of the story.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a roman à clef, so things are going to vary from history quite a lot.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Selling fake medicine is only marginally better than violence as a solution to your problems

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Selling fake medicine is only marginally better than violence as a solution to your problems

Almost all medicine during the time was fake medicine, even when they didn't know it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Lief makes the point that he doesn't know if Narwhal tusks work or not.

And keep in mind that he's not exactly selling to the Red Cross here. It'll probably ultimately wind its way in the hands of some rich noble or merchant who's having trouble getting it up or something.

On an unrelated note... Gudrid's story is unbearably sad. Her sitting on a rock looking at Lief's map in the sand was really good. I like the idea of being so inspired by some lines in the sand, with only the barest inkling of what their true implication was. It must have felt like learning astronomy today- understanding the numbers just enough to get a slight impression of how incredibly massive our universe is, and how tiny our world is. To snap from that to... marital politics, so utterly petty, but horrifyingly life-consuming, was... quite the transition. And no one around her cares in the slightest.

Forget stowing away, she drat well better end up invited on Thorfinn's expedition, by people who understand and care about what she's going on about, because it's pretty god drat depressing now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

Almost all medicine during the time was fake medicine, even when they didn't know it.

Well, mostly. There were a few practices that were actually beneficial. There was a plant/root that was a amazing abortifacient used so much during the Roman Empire the plant went extinct. Chewing willow bark to relieve pain, some various herbal concoctions, etc. It came down to some active ingredient in low concentration being effective as a cure.

Of course it was balanced by people drinking mercury, bleeding a sick person of multiple pints of blood, and smearing feces into open wounds.

TRADTIONAL MEDICINE!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Eiba posted:

On an unrelated note... Gudrid's story is unbearably sad. Her sitting on a rock looking at Lief's map in the sand was really good. I like the idea of being so inspired by some lines in the sand, with only the barest inkling of what their true implication was. It must have felt like learning astronomy today- understanding the numbers just enough to get a slight impression of how incredibly massive our universe is, and how tiny our world is. To snap from that to... marital politics, so utterly petty, but horrifyingly life-consuming, was... quite the transition. And no one around her cares in the slightest.

Forget stowing away, she drat well better end up invited on Thorfinn's expedition, by people who understand and care about what she's going on about, because it's pretty god drat depressing now.

Yeah, that was pretty heartbreaking to see. Hopefully Gudrid will be able to come, just by switching places with Haughty McQueen. Without too much bloodshed and stuff.

I'm also starting to realize that the prelude really was a prelude. If we're first going to Greece and it's the same length as going to Vinland. My god, we're not even halfway through this story are we...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Einar is my top pick for person who lets her on the ship.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Welp, just marathoned what was available of Gunka no Baltzar.

I need to stop doing this to myself.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Now time to play the waiting game with all of us

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Nobunaga's Chef 63

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ad Astra number 3.

It's a very dry and literal adaption of the history, but I think that's a cool thing, you can tell the author must have spent forever researching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Yeah, I'm really liking Ad Astra. It's triggering all sorts of stuff from history class I've forgotten. The art is great as well.