Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peta
Dec 26, 2011

The scene at the beginning of the last episode was the least sympathetic I've ever felt for a murder victim in a TV drama even if it was really painful to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

That last review nailed it for me. Painful at times to watch, like a trainwreck of character drama, I come back to it because of that very reason the following week. Christopher Eccleston is the best character so far and episode three was a complete departure from any episode so far and also my favorite. Watching him beat the poo poo out of the guy that tried to take his winnings made me smile. Basically the episode was "I'm going to try and make things better, oh look they got better, my life is finally looking up...oh crap" in the most direct way yet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Peta posted:

The Newsroom is better than this show

I knew someone who really enjoyed The Newsroom and told me that the plots and language were too complex for *some* people when I told her that I didn't really like it. When I told her that I was a very Left leaning person and thought the dialogue was still poorly written and the 2 year gap was a bit cowardly since it gave the writers a generous amount of hindsight to analyze and gauge public and historical reaction to the events on the show... yeah it's a really complicated and some people can't follow the plot or the characters.

Anyway, she got herself kicked out of her program in university for raging on Facebook during class against a professor who was removing an assignment due to a strike that caused a reduction in the semester. She also thought that Lesbianism wasn't real and that they were faking, but Homosexual men were A-Okay or something idiotic like that.

My point is that The Newsroom is a really bad show, even worse than The Leftovers, which is only watchable if you ignore large portions and consider it a 30 minute show.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I agree that Matt seems to be the most interesting character so far. I think he benefits, though, from his mostly standalone episode. I'm excited for the next episode to show more about Nora who I think is already a very interesting character.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

My point is that The Newsroom is a really bad show, even worse than The Leftovers, which is only watchable if you ignore large portions and consider it a 30 minute show.

Most accurate post so far itt

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

thathonkey posted:

Most accurate post so far itt

Nope its a pretty lovely post by a lovely person

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

At least it's not the walking dead.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cotato posted:

Nope its a pretty lovely post by a lovely person

I think you'll find that I'm actually pretty awesome and that you may be kind of dumb:smuggo:

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

The Newsroom is more entertaining

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I think you'll find that I'm actually pretty awesome and that you may be kind of dumb:smuggo:

I may be dumb, but you keep posting about a show you hate

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Peta posted:

The Newsroom is more entertaining

I would agree, in a "laughing at it instead of with it" sort of way.

The Leftovers is mostly just depressing (but I enjoy the show for the most part). It's really an apples and oranges comparison though so i'm gonna stop typing now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cotato posted:

I may be dumb, but you keep posting about a show you hate

I've been pretty clear that I enjoy 33%-50% of this show, why are you knee-jerking about people who don't enjoy the show staying out of the club-house thread? Do you really need an echo-chamber?

LOST really hosed a lot of people up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm loving loving this show despite it's flaws because it gives me an outlet to explore religion and spirituality that I don't have in daily life. I can't personally look at real-life religion without my brain going "No sir, it's bullshit." If two percent of the world were to vanish instantaneously and SCIENCE collectively said "we have no loving clue" I'd find something to believe in real quick.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Subterfrugal posted:

I'm loving loving this show despite it's flaws because it gives me an outlet to explore religion and spirituality that I don't have in daily life. I can't personally look at real-life religion without my brain going "No sir, it's bullshit." If two percent of the world were to vanish instantaneously and SCIENCE collectively said "we have no loving clue" I'd find something to believe in real quick.

Would you, though? I feel like if you were a rationalist before the departure, and in the absence of any evidence to suggest that the departure was in any way supernatural in nature, you might reasonably conclude that our failure to explain the phenomenon lay in our incomplete understanding of the physical universe and that in time and with the advancement of science, we might very well be able to explain what became of the 2%.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Leb posted:

Would you, though? I feel like if you were a rationalist before the departure, and in the absence of any evidence to suggest that the departure was in any way supernatural in nature, you might reasonably conclude that our failure to explain the phenomenon lay in our incomplete understanding of the physical universe and that in time and with the advancement of science, we might very well be able to explain what became of the 2%.

Nah I'm pretty sure I would throw science out the window and fully believe in magic if that actually happened. If science could come up with a reasonable explanation, I might sway back but I'd be a devout magic believer until then.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Leb posted:

Maybe? I mean the premise is gigantic, but if the phenomenon only targeted humans I don't see how that doesn't suggest some sort of intelligence/benevolence/malevolence.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Leb posted:

The departure would be in and of itself evidence of the supernatural on my scorecard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Subterfrugal posted:

Maybe? I mean the premise is gigantic, but if the phenomenon only targeted humans I don't see how that doesn't suggest some sort of intelligence/benevolence/malevolence.

What if it also targeted bagels and shirts?

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I've been pretty clear that I enjoy 33%-50% of this show, why are you knee-jerking about people who don't enjoy the show staying out of the club-house thread? Do you really need an echo-chamber?

LOST really hosed a lot of people up.

Yup

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Dantu posted:

The departure would be in and of itself evidence of the supernatural on my scorecard.

I dunno. Mass scale alien abduction, even though it's pretty ridiculous, seems more likely than anything supernatural.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah. I think 'Aliens did it' would have to be the first stop for most rational people. It would make anyone question their beliefs though I think it's fair to say.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah. I think 'Aliens did it' would have to be the first stop for most rational people. It would make anyone question their beliefs though I think it's fair to say.

If there is no proof of aliens though, isn't it just as worthwhile to say it was God or the FSM?? Aliens becomes just a rational as saying my lawnmower did it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

They were unplugged from the Matrix.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

spiralbrain posted:

If there is no proof of aliens though, isn't it just as worthwhile to say it was God or the FSM?? Aliens becomes just a rational as saying my lawnmower did it.

Well, aliens could exist in our universe as we understand it right now. God can't.

I mean, if we were to find evidence of an alien civilisation tomorrow (not necessarily space-faring or anything), it would be a momentous occasion, but it wouldn't change how we scientifically view the universe. If God came down on a cloud, everything goes out the window.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 31, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Toshimo posted:

What if it also targeted bagels and shirts?

Well people's clothes presumably did disappear with their bodies. Statistically I'm sure some of the 2% were holding bagels at the time of departure, but I guess we don't know if the bagels left too. Makes you think.

Also my girlfriend was cringing and closing her eyes at the stoning, and I started to feel those hits too until the middle of it I realized I've felt those soft stage rocks they use to throw at people and despite the convincing paint they're just all nice and squishy so I stopped sympathizing with the filthy GR hag.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

That's what I thought the GR would be about. A space cult that believes aliens abducted everyone sorta like Heaven's Gate.

Nope, just a bunch of silent depressive weirdos who smoke cigarettes and make new members chop down trees? :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The stoning would have had a lot more impact on me if we didn't see them just 2 minutes earlier stare an old frail man who just fell over in the eye and then just walk past him. The show really wants us to feel guilty for hating the members of GR but it feels too god damned forced for it to work for me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Xoidanor posted:

The stoning would have had a lot more impact on me if we didn't see them just 2 minutes earlier stare an old frail man who just fell over in the eye and then just walk past him. The show really wants us to feel guilty for hating the members of GR but it feels too god damned forced for it to work for me.

Yeah, they aren't doing much to endear them to the audience. I root for Matt whenever he shows up now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

spiralbrain posted:

If you take a video of a light in the sky that doesn't seem to conform to the behavior of any known physical object, the rational thing isn't to assume that it's an alien. It's also not rational to say that it's an airplane or venus if the light isn't behaving like an airplane or venus. If all you've got is a videotape, then you just don't know and there's no point in speculating without more information. If 2% of the world's population vanished leaving literally no evidence behind, the most rational and scientific answer would be "I have no idea."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

If 2% of the world's population vanished leaving literally no evidence behind, the most rational and scientific answer would be "I have no idea."

And that's what probably does it for me. I don't pretend to understand most science beyond the basic understanding required for everyday life and occasional consumption of a massively dumbed-down conceptual articles that are roughly the equivalent of explaining algebra to a three year old. Outside of my specific discipline, science is basically a religion with a much more complex mythology. I take it on faith that 1) the holy journals are largely true and correct 2) the path to further enlightenment on any particular subject is available to me if I am sufficiently devout and 3) the scientific method can be applied faithfully to any unknown condition. Even on the cutting edge of string theory the admission of "we don't know" is followed by "but here's what we think and here's how we can test that."

SCIENCE, collectively, throwing in the towel as is presumed to have in the show would seriously undermine or outright destroy my faith. What I love about the premise is that it does the same thing to people with traditional religious beliefs. The Event in this show fundamentally undercuts every major faith group in the world. Salvation through Jesus/Mohammed/Xenu is hard to square with a random selection of others being taken. Salvation by actions? Gary Busey was taken. You weren't. I think it would hit the devout hardest and that's even before you add in the trauma of personally losing friends and loved ones. Science and religion both explain death and absence, even if they have different takes on it. How can you explain losing your father, spouse or child when the context of loss itself has suddenly shifted?

The question for me isn't whether I would embrace a new faith, it's what kind of new faith would I embrace. I think that answer would largely depend on who I lost.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Why do you think that science has totally thrown in the towel? Sure they've said straight up that they don't have the slightest idea what happened but I have a hard time imagining that every scientist or rational thinker on the face of the planet would use their dying breath collecting data to try and make sense of an event like that. The thing I love the most about science is that there isn't a fear of saying that certain concepts of reality we're just not capable of grasping. Yet.

Maybe it's aliens, wormholes, lawnmowers, whatever. The biggest difference is that religion would be shattered across the board but even though the idea of 2% of the population just absconding from the planet would totally cause blood to squirt out the ears of every scientist ever they'd all be driven to understand.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Why do you get the impression that we're supposed to feel guilty for hating the GR? With the exception of maybe Liv Tyler and Lori the show has done nothing but paint them as the ambiguous antagonist. I really want to know though, because this opinion has shown up several times in this thread and it really baffles me.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Why do you think that science has totally thrown in the towel? Sure they've said straight up that they don't have the slightest idea what happened but I have a hard time imagining that every scientist or rational thinker on the face of the planet would use their dying breath collecting data to try and make sense of an event like that. The thing I love the most about science is that there isn't a fear of saying that certain concepts of reality we're just not capable of grasping. Yet.

Maybe it's aliens, wormholes, lawnmowers, whatever. The biggest difference is that religion would be shattered across the board but even though the idea of 2% of the population just absconding from the planet would totally cause blood to squirt out the ears of every scientist ever they'd all be driven to understand.

I think Science is trying to do something to explain it as best they can. I think that's the whole purpose of that survey that Nora was conducting earlier in the season. They really have no idea where to start so they are asking as many questions as they can to try and come up with some correlation between the vanished.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, there's no way science has (or would) give up. They just don't have a single. loving. Clue. Yet.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

What is this monolithic "science" you guys keep referring to, it's really weird.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heh, never you mind your little head :smuggo:

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Just so you guys aren't horrified when Chief Garvey has sex with his daughter's teenage friend, Emily Meade is in fact 25

Her in her pajamas, plus him looking at the cheerleaders in the hallway gave me a weird vibe this episode.

Does she have her own room in their house?

They haven't explicitly said it, but it seems like she lives there. Maybe she only had one parent and they were one of the departures?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kneecaps posted:

They haven't explicitly said it, but it seems like she lives there. Maybe she only had one parent and they were one of the departures?
It's not that strange for a teenager to be welcomed into a close friend's home and treated like a member of a friend's family, even under normal circumstances. I can certainly see why Garvey doesn't mind having her around all the time - it gives him a window into his daughter's life that he otherwise wouldn't have.

But yeah, the pajamas scene had an uncomfortable vibe.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Subterfrugal posted:

Outside of my specific discipline, science is basically a religion with a much more complex mythology. I take it on faith that 1) the holy journals are largely true and correct 2) the path to further enlightenment on any particular subject is available to me if I am sufficiently devout and 3) the scientific method can be applied faithfully to any unknown condition. Even on the cutting edge of string theory the admission of "we don't know" is followed by "but here's what we think and here's how we can test it.

This is a really poor/bizarre understanding of how science works and I would be curious to hear what discipline you're in and what your education level in it is.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The viral ad (loved ones bereavement figures) on HBO just did a good job explaining the whole mood of the show. Jesus I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ummm....wtf?

• Locked thread