Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jose Cuervo posted:

Problem is my bathroom does not have windows. I have tried using a fan to provide ventilation but it does not help enough. I was looking at the 3M respirators but could not figure out which cartridges I needed to get.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...+5549793&rt=rud

They have a few series of masks/filters. Look at the lists and find the ones that protect you from the vapors you are worried about.

That said, you're being overly concerned about this.

This is a particulate filter and will do absolutely nothing for chemical vapors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

For some reason I was watching Cops the other day and it showed a patrol car in Florida hearing on the radio that someone crashed into a telephone pole and then abandoned their car. The officers later saw a man stumbling and cut/bruised, so they stopped him. The guy admitted to crashing the car into the pole, even going on about how he could have hit someone, and he was clearly drunk. I don't recall if he also admitted to drinking, but I think he did.

Later his girlfriend comes by and yells at him and tells the police to arrest him for drunk driving. They say that they cannot, because they did not see him driving and no witnesses saw him driving.

So why can they not arrest him? Does admitting to driving drunk not count in Florida? I'm sure there is something obvious that explains this, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jose Cuervo posted:

Problem is my bathroom does not have windows. I have tried using a fan to provide ventilation but it does not help enough. I was looking at the 3M respirators but could not figure out which cartridges I needed to get.

Most of those masks are for particulate, however. For actual gases, you're going to need some pretty expensive stuff.

Google "bleach MSDS", one of them should have mask specs on it if applicable, but really what you need to do is ventilate the ever loving poo poo out of the space.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not certain if this is a good place to ask this but against my better judgement, I'll shoot away.

I've suddenly become interested in learning about the Battle of Fallujah, does anyone have any good/decent resources to point me in the right direction? Wikipedia is great for understanding the basic premise, but I'm looking for a human approach rather than a factual one. Any links, articles, documentaries, etc. are welcome though.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

DNova posted:

They have a few series of masks/filters. Look at the lists and find the ones that protect you from the vapors you are worried about.

Thanks. I guess I will try setting up a new fan arrangement that provides better ventilation before I go crazy with the respirators.

The particulate issue was what was tripping me up - I did not think that the particulate masks would provide any protection from chlorine/ bleach/ cleaning supply fumes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

This is a particulate filter and will do absolutely nothing for chemical vapors.

Maybe they're planning on mixing the bleach and ammonia.

Maybe this isn't really about cleaning a bathroom.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

GentlemanBrofro posted:

I'm not certain if this is a good place to ask this but against my better judgement, I'll shoot away.

I've suddenly become interested in learning about the Battle of Fallujah, does anyone have any good/decent resources to point me in the right direction? Wikipedia is great for understanding the basic premise, but I'm looking for a human approach rather than a factual one. Any links, articles, documentaries, etc. are welcome though.

This isn't in Fallujah, but if you're looking for an authentic Iraq/Afghanistan war doc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_(film)

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

the posted:

This isn't in Fallujah, but if you're looking for an authentic Iraq/Afghanistan war doc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_(film)

Ah, I've been looking for this film for a while actually, I forgot the name a while ago. Thanks, I'll check it out.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

So why can they not arrest him? Does admitting to driving drunk not count in Florida? I'm sure there is something obvious that explains this, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Cops arrest, the district attorney's office charges people with crimes and takes issues to court. The district attorney (the person, not the office) generally makes broad rules about cases they will and will not prosecute, and then from there, people in the office make case-specific exceptions. The DA wants to prosecute cases they will win, and not waste time on cases they cannot win. Fast forward to the trial, and you hear stuff like "was it your car?", "no", "had you been driving that car?", "no", "why did you say you had driven and wrecked the car?", "i was drunk out of my mind and I didn't understand what they were asking or what I was saying", "ok, not guilty".

The moral of the story is that the PD may not arrest people for crimes that the DA will not prosecute.

The second likely case is that this happened at 3:45am to a cop who was scheduled to go home at 4am, and making an arrest would have put him home at 9am instead of 4am, and the guy had already worked a double and he just wanted to go home and get laid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

people keep linking to a site called gfycat lately, and not only does it not load for me but it freezes all tabs of the forums for some reason. Any idea what's going on with that?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 3, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

photomikey posted:

Cops arrest, the district attorney's office charges people with crimes and takes issues to court. The district attorney (the person, not the office) generally makes broad rules about cases they will and will not prosecute, and then from there, people in the office make case-specific exceptions. The DA wants to prosecute cases they will win, and not waste time on cases they cannot win. Fast forward to the trial, and you hear stuff like "was it your car?", "no", "had you been driving that car?", "no", "why did you say you had driven and wrecked the car?", "i was drunk out of my mind and I didn't understand what they were asking or what I was saying", "ok, not guilty".

The moral of the story is that the PD may not arrest people for crimes that the DA will not prosecute.

Pretty much this. The cops can easily make a public intoxication case, which is still ends up with a night in the jail, plus paying several hundred dollars in fines, several hundred dollars on towing and impound fees, plus hundred if not thousands of dollars on car repair. Unless the person has a history of drunk driving, it's probably just easier for everyone involved to just call it a PI, which is easier to prove in court.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Why do cheerios that have been soaked shrink smaller than regular dry cheerios when allowed to dry?

What did the liquid do to make it dry much smaller than its ever been?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's been baked so it puffs out and then once it's gotten wet and dried out, it's not puffed out anymore because the air pockets are gone. Same thing would happen with a piece of bread.

I literally know nothing about this stuff but I'm pretty sure that's the only explanation.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

It's been baked so it puffs out and then once it's gotten wet and dried out, it's not puffed out anymore because the air pockets are gone. Same thing would happen with a piece of bread.

I literally know nothing about this stuff but I'm pretty sure that's the only explanation.

Makes sense!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

OctoberBlues posted:

Later his girlfriend comes by and yells at him and tells the police to arrest him for drunk driving. They say that they cannot, because they did not see him driving and no witnesses saw him driving.

The self-incrimination thing may also be tricky. In real life Miranda warnings (the "right to remain silent" spiel) aren't as clear-cut as TV and movies show them to be, but I think you have to be competent enough to understand and acknowledge it, which someone that's balls drunk isn't going to be. So even if he shouted to the whole world that he was driving the car drunk, it may not be admissible.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Couldn't find a thread for this in IYG or Serious Hardware/Software Crap so here goes.

A few years ago I created a Gmail account when I got a first gen Motorola Droid. I never really used it for anything other than the Google app store and Google voice. A ton of voice mails from my now dead mom are on Voice under that Google account.

I recently changed my phone number, and to my horror, two step verification is turned on the account with my mom's voice mails. I know my password but I can't get into my account because I can't receive a text message at my old number.

I just went through Google's recovery process but it asked questions like who did I e-mail most frequently (no one, since that wasn't my primary e-mail account) or what are four of my labels (again, none).

I can't login from my normal IP address ever again because we moved out of that house.

Am I screwed? All I really wanted was to download copies of my mom's messages. :(

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
I can't find anywhere on this site to discuss poker, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Are there legitimate free online poker sites? Which ones are the best?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

TheEffect posted:

I can't find anywhere on this site to discuss poker, maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Are there legitimate free online poker sites? Which ones are the best?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504125

Ask there and say what state/country you are in because it makes a big difference. Or you might find the info you need in the thread somewhere.

edit: well if you want a free site I think you can go on Yahoo Games, but free poker is not even remotely similar to money poker even at penny stakes.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 3, 2014

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Schweinhund posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504125

Ask there and say what state/country you are in because it makes a big difference. Or you might find the info you need in the thread somewhere.

edit: well if you want a free site I think you can go on Yahoo Games, but free poker is not even remotely similar to money poker even at penny stakes.

Thanks!

e; yeah, agreed.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Am I screwed? All I really wanted was to download copies of my mom's messages. :(

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

What is the condition called when you suddenly stand up or get out of bed and then go blind and dizzy for a bit?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Orthostatic hypotension apparently.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Mr. Squishy posted:

Huh. I thought I had something terribly wrong with me. I just called it "brain fever" and assumed vice killed my head. This reminds me of finding out those pangs in my heart are equally common and normal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many unique mazes are there in pacman? I've never played past the first level.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Couldn't find a thread for this in IYG or Serious Hardware/Software Crap so here goes.

A few years ago I created a Gmail account when I got a first gen Motorola Droid. I never really used it for anything other than the Google app store and Google voice. A ton of voice mails from my now dead mom are on Voice under that Google account.

I recently changed my phone number, and to my horror, two step verification is turned on the account with my mom's voice mails. I know my password but I can't get into my account because I can't receive a text message at my old number.

I just went through Google's recovery process but it asked questions like who did I e-mail most frequently (no one, since that wasn't my primary e-mail account) or what are four of my labels (again, none).

I can't login from my normal IP address ever again because we moved out of that house.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en&ctx=ch_b%2F0%2FSmsAuthConfig

From my understanding, it also sounds like you could use the Google Authenticator app to create a verification code for you since you know the password.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&hl=en

JohnnyHildo fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 4, 2014

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Turtlicious posted:

How many unique mazes are there in pacman? I've never played past the first level.
The original only has one maze which is replayed over and over until you die or reach level 256, at which point it glitches out. If memory serves, each level is made harder by slightly speeding up and lowering the amount of time the large dots last. Ms PacMan had 4 different mazes which you cycled through.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can finally put a name to this along with photic sneeze reflex.

Rubies posted:

This reminds me of finding out those pangs in my heart are equally common and normal.
What's that one called?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

What's that one called?

Cardiac arrest. :thejoke:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

The self-incrimination thing may also be tricky. In real life Miranda warnings (the "right to remain silent" spiel) aren't as clear-cut as TV and movies show them to be, but I think you have to be competent enough to understand and acknowledge it, which someone that's balls drunk isn't going to be. So even if he shouted to the whole world that he was driving the car drunk, it may not be admissible.

Miranda is kind of pointless except in major cases. If the cops have dashcam video of pulling over some drunk guy, then give him a breathalyzer, they don't need to read him his rights, they already have all the evidence they need.

But if they pull over some drunk guy who was trying to kill himself over his guilt about killing his wife, then that's when they bust out the Miranda card. The average cop has to read Miranda rights so rarely that plenty of departments give out cards for cops to read from. So that when they do actually have to read the Miranda rights, they can just read from the card, and know they didn't screw it up somehow.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 4, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

thrakkorzog posted:

Miranda is kind of pointless except in major cases. If the cops have dashcam video of pulling over some drunk guy, then give him a breathalyzer, they don't need to read him his rights, they already have all the evidence they need.

But if they pull over some drunk guy who was trying to kill himself over his guilt about killing his wife, then that's when they bust out the Miranda card. The average cop has to read out Miranda rights so rarely that plenty of departments give out cards for cops to read from on the odd occasion they actually have to read someone their Miranda rights.

That's not why they do that. It's a bit silly to say that cops don't know Miranda by heart and have to resort to reading a card. The reason they use a card is so that the defense can't claim that the cop mumbled Miranda or got part of it wrong.

Edit: Whoops, sorry. I jumped on your case too soon.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Meatwave posted:

That's not why they do that. It's a bit silly to say that cops don't know Miranda by heart and have to resort to reading a card. The reason they use a card is so that the defense can't claim that the cop mumbled Miranda or got part of it wrong.

Edit: Whoops, sorry. I jumped on your case too soon.

I didn't mean to imply that cops don't know Miranda. I would hope anybody given a badge and a gun would be aware of Miranda. Reading from the card is basic CYA. The cops did their job. DA's have also been known to tweak the language of the Miranda card. So a cop reading the most recent reversion of the Miranda card is actually doing his job the way it is supposed to be done.

Compare that to L&O where Det. Brisco would arrest a murder suspect and say, 'You have the right to remain silent. You know the rest.' That looks cool on TV, but it would be a total legal clusterfuck.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 4, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'll be getting Comcast (I know, I know) in my new apartment, and I'm trying to avoid any bullshit installation fees. I know there's self-installation kits (which come with a modem), but I plan on bringing my own modem. I'll still need to get a box for the TV, so I'll have to buy that installation kit. Will they charge me any installation fees if I bring all my own stuff? Do I need to buy the internet self-installation kit even though I have my own modem?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bvoid posted:

I'll be getting Comcast (I know, I know) in my new apartment, and I'm trying to avoid any bullshit installation fees. I know there's self-installation kits (which come with a modem), but I plan on bringing my own modem. I'll still need to get a box for the TV, so I'll have to buy that installation kit. Will they charge me any installation fees if I bring all my own stuff? Do I need to buy the internet self-installation kit even though I have my own modem?

Comcast would be best suited to answer these questions.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What's the deal with this pic? What is it from?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

N. Senada posted:

What's the deal with this pic? What is it from?

It's a picture of rcman50166 that was taken as a part of a mod challenge. Then he got butthurt and started sending out DMCA takedown notices to anyone that photoshopped it. He has since been featured in two different front-page articles.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

Depends on the version of Pacman.

Original, 1980's arcade version? Pretty sure it's 1.
Ms. Pacman had 4
Pacman Championship edition DX from a few years ago has a shifting maze that changes depending on how you play, so a lot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bvoid posted:

If you supply your own modem, be sure they don't charge you a rental fee. They tried to pull that crap with me recently.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I'd like to connect a device to my home network that is in a spot that would make it difficult to connect with cables. Are there wireless devices that can approach wired speeds? I'm looking for something other than WiFi, if that's possible.

I think something like this is what I need, but I'm wondering if there are better options.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/7670959

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
When I was cleaning my room I found a check that was written to me last year and I'm not 100% positive if I cashed it. I've used mobile deposit in the past so I'm not sure if this check can still be cashed or not. Is there an easy way that I can check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Busy Bee posted:

When I was cleaning my room I found a check that was written to me last year and I'm not 100% positive if I cashed it. I've used mobile deposit in the past so I'm not sure if this check can still be cashed or not. Is there an easy way that I can check?

Take it to your bank, if your bank's online services don't let you look through your past deposits (if you have that, then look through it for transactions with the value on the check). A lot of banks seem to make it difficult to access transactions from more than 6 or 12 months ago.