Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Since the episode ended with Korra in restraints, I thought of something: what does the Avatar state even DO, at this point? I always thought it tapped into the collective knowledge of all previous Avatars, greatly amplifying bending power and what not; the Avatar can do incredible feats of bending just because there is literally generations of powerful benders lending their technique and experience to it. In theory, anyone could do it - if they spent several lifetimes practicing. Some Avatar probably could do Bumi-style bending without moving much, so busting out the Avatar state could let Korra explode out of those restraints.

But all previous Avatar generations have been erased now, so there's nothing for Korra to use in the Avatar state. Seriously, what does it do now? :psyduck: Korra only used it for some big-rear end spirit purifying technique so far, is it now a general power amplifier without further explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Explained in the Wan episodes; it boosts elemental strength and allows simultaneous bending of all four elements. Might also boost physical endurance

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 3, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

But all previous Avatar generations have been erased now, so there's nothing for Korra to use in the Avatar state. Seriously, what does it do now? :psyduck: Korra only used it for some big-rear end spirit purifying technique so far, is it now a general power amplifier without further explanation?

Allows her to bend all 4 elements, at the very least. Raava still conferred benefits to Wan, so that's all still carried on even without the past Avatar links.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
To explain a little more fully, the use of white and yellow for Amon's mask is also meaningful. White Beijing Opera masks are worn by villains, and the color suggests sinister, treacherous, and crafty intent. Some white masks also are used for characters who are portrayed as tyrants.

Yellow symbolizes "fierceness, ambition and cool-headedness," though other sources also cite cruelty as a yellow trait. However, one might interpret the color to be gold instead: gold masks are used for gods, spirits, and monsters.

Also, fun fact about Chinese opera and masks... it's not all about singing and acting. Beijing and Sichuan opera can also include the art of bian lian, literally "face changing." This is a magician's art of instantly changing one mask for another in a split-second. It's an art that's traditionally only been passed down from father to son.

Normally the face-changer will raise his long sleeve and obscure his mask for a moment, and in the instant it takes to twitch the sleeve aside his face has changed. However, this is not always the case. In fact, face changing can occur multiple times in quick succession without obscurement.

Also, there are puppets. Which change faces. And breathe fire.

EDIT: Clip from the original series with fire-breathing puppet.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 3, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kind of unrelated, but why are the voices so off in this clip?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

The audio has been pitched lower to avoid the detection of copyrighted material.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nichael posted:

To get around the automatic copyright detector thingy to prevent takedowns.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Normally the face-changer will raise his long sleeve and obscure his mask for a moment, and in the instant it takes to twitch the sleeve aside his face has changed. However, this is not always the case. In fact, face changing can occur multiple times in quick succession without obscurement.

God dammit I had to watch that several times to try figure out how he was changing the masks.. And I've still got nothing.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Babygravy posted:

God dammit I had to watch that several times to try figure out how he was changing the masks.. And I've still got nothing.

The crazy part with that first vid is that at ~3:40 he's able to replace one of his masks after he's removed them all. And the guy after him changes his entire outfit in an instant. Twice.

EDIT: Here's another really sweet performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzx8Z8K2JW4

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 4, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I saw him pull off one of his masks into one of the umbrellas. If you can't hide what you're doing completely then you're a terrible magician.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I saw him pull off one of his masks into one of the umbrellas. If you can't hide what you're doing completely then you're a terrible magician.

What's the time index of this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

What's the time index of this?

1:26

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure that it's actually drawn into the umbrella. The lady spins around with it and there's nothing in the underside.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Some of those look like puppets. It looks like the hands are fake, and there are strings leading down. Maybe there's a mechanism at work?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The mask chat is interesting so I'll add this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNHEN_9DfU&t=181s

Right there you can see one mask get sucked into his shirt for a literal split second.
It's fairly impressive how fast they can change and they seem to have several different methods.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Shabadu posted:

You did get that great moment in the Air Temple episode where Bumi gets to show his real talents: Motivation and Leadership. For all the guys braggadocio he wasn't an officer in the Republic forces for nothing. It doesn't cheapen his character by removing the things that made him good as a non-bender, it gives him more fuel to his issues of inadequacy. First he wasn't even a bender, now he's a bender but he's nowhere near as good as his brother or father. That has interesting character beats to mine too.

They should have melded Admiral Zuko and Bumi into the same character, have Aangs non-bending son overcompensate by becoming the aggressive martial one and easy up on the comic relief aspect of his character. Bumi is season 2 was so badly mishandled that the only possible way that he was any kind of military officer was because of a disturbing amount of nepotism in the combined navy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hey, whatever happened to Iroh Jr.?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Returned to his home planet.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Hey, whatever happened to Iroh Jr.?

Is that the guy whose voice didn't fit him?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is that the guy whose voice didn't fit him?

Yeah, they reused Zuko's voice actor, whose voice hilariously hasn't changed in like 10 years, so it doesn't fit the character at all. Not that I think it's a big deal, it's just kind of weird. He was last seen helping out with the Unalaq situation, but didn't really get a proper exit IIRC.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, they reused Zuko's voice actor, whose voice hilariously hasn't changed in like 10 years, so it doesn't fit the character at all. Not that I think it's a big deal, it's just kind of weird. He was last seen helping out with the Unalaq situation, but didn't really get a proper exit IIRC.

Dante Basco's had the same voice for the past 23 years, lest we forget RUFIO, RUFIO, RU FI OOOOOOOO!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh gently caress I forgot he was Rufio, how could this happen? :negative:

Bangarang, my friend :911:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Flew off into the sunset on his rocket feet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was it confirmed that the new episodes would be up on hulu? I have plus for my TV and wanted to know if I'd be able to watch it with that on Fridays.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
It's been episodes since we've seen old man Zuko. What the gently caress, online only show, get on that poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Seriously. Maybe this time he can job against Zaheer or something. Hell, if the writers play their cards right he could get his rear end kicked by every member of the Red Lotus individually before the season finale! :v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Zuko and Toph both come back in the finale just when all seems lost. As everyone stares in shock, Toph turns to Zuko and says "I'm glad we finally took that life-changing field trip."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Zuko and Toph both come back in the finale just when all seems lost. As everyone stares in shock, Toph turns to Zuko and says "I'm glad we finally took that life-changing field trip."

Zuko better do some lightningbending because it's about drat time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I swear to god

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Zuko better do some lightningbending because it's about drat time.

Who do you think he is, Azula?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When was the last time we saw lightning bending anyway? Season 1?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXHi0kFucc

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jimbot posted:

To actually answer your question, as far as I remember, yes. Mako can do it, but he doesn't seem skilled enough to do it during combat. Which pretty well makes sense from what we were told about it before and doesn't really fit his combat-style in general anyway. He and Bolin are both a lot more about tight, fast, boxing-type moves.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mako bended lightning when they were defending Korra's body in season 2's finale. I've read that people think he can't lightning bend during combat (that often) because he's unable to obtain the peace of mind needed to do it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mako shot lightning at some Equalists riding motorcycles in Season 1, yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mako seems to be able to use Lightning but he isn't particularly good at it so he just defaults to fire most of the time.

Lightning honestly isn't that great most of the time anyway. It's a lot of pure power but doesn't seem very flexible.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DrSunshine posted:

Mako shot lightning at some Equalists riding motorcycles in Season 1, yeah.

I think Mako can do it in combat because it seems like he's very goal-oriented and focused when fighting (when not distracted by women). Azula could bend lightning while she was crazy because of straight muscle memory.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
Wasn't Mako lightning bending in a power plant or something in the first episode?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Mako lightning bending at Amon in an awkward position actually got past Amon's bloodbending defenses and messed him up. Amon even complimented his ability. There is absolutely no excuse for his lack of proficiency at it now. He should be able to royally mess up water-arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDOXpfHQJE&t=205s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jagermonster posted:

Mako lightning bending at Amon in an awkward position actually got past Amon's bloodbending defenses and messed him up. Amon even complimented his ability. There is absolutely no excuse for his lack of proficiency at it now. He should be able to royally mess up water-arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDOXpfHQJE&t=205s
That was indefensibly stupid and we should all forget that it ever happened.

I had.

• Locked thread