Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Old Man Pants posted:

Is this a Ruckus clone? I only ask because the gauges engine and shock look really wrong, and I've been riding my ruck for 7 years.
It's the real deal. The clones have a 1-piece steel frame. Hondas have a 2-piece aluminum and steel frame. You can sort of see the aluminum frame in the photo of the front wheel. The engine, wheels and rear shock came from a Vento Triton.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Hopefully I'm missing something obvious on my currently broken-down scooter. I'm not terribly mechanically talented, so keep that in mind.

New-ish Lance Havana 50. 584 miles. Drove to work last night just fine. Left this morning, got about 12 blocks, ans started losing power. Did hit a small pothole just prior, nothing deep.

She starts up just fine, revs as normal, and then loses almost all power. The more throttle I give, the less power I get and the more it sounds like it's going to die. Can kind of baby it along at 5mph or so.

Has a full tank of gas. Checked oil, level seems fine. Anyone have a good guess?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ExplodingChef posted:

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious on my currently broken-down scooter. I'm not terribly mechanically talented, so keep that in mind.

New-ish Lance Havana 50. 584 miles. Drove to work last night just fine. Left this morning, got about 12 blocks, ans started losing power. Did hit a small pothole just prior, nothing deep.

She starts up just fine, revs as normal, and then loses almost all power. The more throttle I give, the less power I get and the more it sounds like it's going to die. Can kind of baby it along at 5mph or so.

Has a full tank of gas. Checked oil, level seems fine. Anyone have a good guess?

Could be spark plug if this is a 2 stroke, if you're positive it was caused by the pothole check spark plug wire and air filter box, more throttle = less power and engine bogged down means it's running way rich.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's a 4-stroke GY6. I'm guessing fuel delivery being the problem. Those carburetors are notorious for having their innards break. Yiu bought it not terribly long ago. How's the warranty?

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

It's a 4-stroke GY6. I'm guessing fuel delivery being the problem. Those carburetors are notorious for having their innards break. Yiu bought it not terribly long ago. How's the warranty?

Warranty is still good, I've only had the scoot a few months. Called the shop, they said their first guess would be debris or water in the carb. Gonna have them pick it up this week.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

ExplodingChef posted:

Warranty is still good, I've only had the scoot a few months. Called the shop, they said their first guess would be debris or water in the carb. Gonna have them pick it up this week.
If you want to try save some time you would always just spray a bunch of carb cleaner through it and see if that helps at all, would take like 10 minutes and possibly not have you out of the scooter for awhile. Might work, might not.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

He's had it less than 6 months. Dunno if Lance is Taiwanese or mainland but might as well have the warranty cover as much as possible now.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

ExplodingChef posted:

Has a full tank of gas

When did you last fill it? I got unlucky with a lovely fuel pump once which dumped a bunch of water into mine, and killed off the engine until it was removed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hi. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a scooter mainly just to gently caress off with on the weekends. Looking at Zumas or a Ruckus mainly.

Also I found this relevant video for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYRrBQj5gr0&t=10s

:catstare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw no leather jackets and only two pairs of gloves. Squiiiiiiddssss :argh:

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Taiwan actually does have cars, that particular road is scooter only
But yeah, the calmness is great

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Sometimes when cars are merging into me without looking first, or tailgating me because I'm only doing 55 in a 35 zone, I find myself fantasizing about commuting in a place like Taiwan...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goredema posted:

Sometimes when cars are merging into me without looking first, or tailgating me because I'm only doing 55 in a 35 zone, I find myself fantasizing about commuting in a place like Taiwan...

Man just reading that made me super frustrated. On a decently powered bike you can just pull on the throttle till you leave the rear end in a top hat behind. On a scooter they may not have the power necessary to do so.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Man just reading that made me super frustrated. On a decently powered bike you can just pull on the throttle till you leave the rear end in a top hat behind. On a scooter they may not have the power necessary to do so.
If it's in normal city traffic, the scooter still has better acceleration than most cars, so you can still goose it and get out of the way. At higher speeds, I just hit the brakes and let them veer wherever they're gonna veer. Even on my motorcycle, I sometimes have to remind myself to just shrug and laugh at bad drivers, rather than trying to "defend my lane" too aggressively. Getting mad about it is often just a path to getting maimed or killed.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am about to do my first oil/gear oil change on my Buddy 170i. Is 10w40 Synthetic Motorcylce oil from Valveline OK? I read some scooter forum where people where sperging out in debate over which oil to use and I knew I should have came here instead.

This is my first maintenance on my bike. Anything else I should check while changing these fluids?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You should use gear oil not engine oil.

[edit: I misread your post. The manual recommends 15w40 but it probably won't make a difference.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 19, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Different oil ratings are to do with different climates/temperatures right?
10w40 is pretty much the catch-all stuff to use.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Different oil ratings are about their viscosity at different temperatures, but they don't directly tell you anything about matching an oil to a climate or anything like that.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. If they say 10W40, put in 10W40. There are certain times (extreme heat or cold -- like, Arizona summer or Canadian winter) where you might move up or down a weight grade, but whatever the manual recommends is going to be the correct oil for the vast majority of riding situations.

Don't buy into online bullshit. It's literally bullshit 100% of the time and there are no special tricks or top secret oils or anything like that. Get a big jug of Shell Rotella T in whatever weight your manual recommends and don't bother with anything else.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 20, 2014

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
drat, these stupid oil filters need some special tool to tighten. What kind of garbage is that? HiFlo H183..do not buy

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

ExplodingChef posted:

The saga continues.

Let it sit a couple days, started it up, ran fine. Took it in, they checked it over, said it looked OK. Hasn't sat any length of time for the gas to go bad, has had 2 oil changes, etc.

Couple days later, bam, did it again. Lost power, giving it throttle causes it to almost but not quite die, gets a tiny bit of forward momentum.

Had the shop pick it up. They rejetted the carbs, checked the valves, and said they checked everything. Picked it up, got about a mile from the shop, did it again. Head mechanic ran over, gave me the shop scooter, and took mine back. Got it running again by throwing it on the center stand and revving the hell out of it. Today they were going to drain and replace all the fluids, then give it some heavy use to see if they can replicate the problem. I did tell the owner of the shop that I'd be willing to just trade up to a Stella 125 and call it even, but he didn't seem too inclined towards that idea :).

Missed a rally this weekend that would have been fun, weather has been gorgeous.

Wonder if there's any sort of lemon law for scooters :/

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ExplodingChef posted:

The saga continues.

Let it sit a couple days, started it up, ran fine. Took it in, they checked it over, said it looked OK. Hasn't sat any length of time for the gas to go bad, has had 2 oil changes, etc.

Couple days later, bam, did it again. Lost power, giving it throttle causes it to almost but not quite die, gets a tiny bit of forward momentum.

Had the shop pick it up. They rejetted the carbs, checked the valves, and said they checked everything. Picked it up, got about a mile from the shop, did it again. Head mechanic ran over, gave me the shop scooter, and took mine back. Got it running again by throwing it on the center stand and revving the hell out of it. Today they were going to drain and replace all the fluids, then give it some heavy use to see if they can replicate the problem. I did tell the owner of the shop that I'd be willing to just trade up to a Stella 125 and call it even, but he didn't seem too inclined towards that idea :).

Missed a rally this weekend that would have been fun, weather has been gorgeous.

Wonder if there's any sort of lemon law for scooters :/

Lemon laws should apply to all motor vehicles, so figure out if that applies to you yet.

What's the fuel level when the bike does this to you? A friend of mine had similar-seeming symptoms on his brand-new-at-the-time Stella 4-stroke, and they eventually figured out it was only happening with a very full tank of gas - and it was preventing the fuel breather/some emissions parts from being able to vent correctly.

And if you're gonna trade up looking for a more reliable scooter... don't get a Stella. The people I know with Stella autos have already had problems and they've only been out a couple months.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ribsauce posted:

drat, these stupid oil filters need some special tool to tighten. What kind of garbage is that? HiFlo H183..do not buy
I love K&N filters because of that. They all have a 17 or 19mm hex head on them.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Lemon laws should apply to all motor vehicles, so figure out if that applies to you yet.

What's the fuel level when the bike does this to you? A friend of mine had similar-seeming symptoms on his brand-new-at-the-time Stella 4-stroke, and they eventually figured out it was only happening with a very full tank of gas - and it was preventing the fuel breather/some emissions parts from being able to vent correctly.

And if you're gonna trade up looking for a more reliable scooter... don't get a Stella. The people I know with Stella autos have already had problems and they've only been out a couple months.

Looked into the lemon thing, and unfortunately in Wisconsin lemon law doesn't apparently apply to mopeds.

I've had it happen on both a full tank and about a quarter tank or so. Wouldn't think it would be bad gas, I fill up from the same busy station 99% of the time.

I've also heard that the Stellas are prone to problems. Gorgeous scooters 'tho.

ExplodingChef fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 22, 2014

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Picked it up from the shop this afternoon, got it 2-3 miles, did it again. Put it on the center stand, gave it a bunch of throttle, put it down, got the rest of the way (4 miles or so) home OK, 'tho it seems like it's a little hesitant accelerating from a complete stop.

Weirdest loving thing, especially since it seems completely random. I can't imagine that these little 4-strokes are all that terribly complicated.

Now I guess I see what Lance will do for me on a company level. Emailed them last night and got a prompt response from a parts/service guy asking for more details, so hopefully they'll play ball. I just wanna ride my gay hipster bike :(.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I seem to have decided on a scooter that I want.

Honda Elite 250.

I see many models from 1985 and thereabouts. In my opinion they look great, but that may be just me.

Are spare parts/repairs a problem with such an old scooter? What problems to expect?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
The elites are a very long running model, and have a pretty good reputation all in all. They just recently changed body design within the last few years, but I'm not sure if it effected internals. Parts availability should be pretty decent. No concerns of note on my end if everything has been maintained well enough, but someone else may have more information than me.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Here is my scooter!

08 ruckus, yoshi exhaust, daytona shock, bride seat, polini variator and belt, and since this pic I have relocated the blinkers to where the reflectors were, shave the bunny ears and the rack out of the headlight assembly, and gave that a once over with some paint.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I don't think I'd recommend a Stella if you want reliable. Stellas are kinda eccentric. Reliable would be a Buddy or anything Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I don't think I'd recommend a Stella if you want reliable. Stellas are kinda eccentric. Reliable would be a Buddy or anything Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki.

I would also add kymco and sym to the reliable list.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
gently caress SYM, they left me high and dry for RV250 parts after their old American distributor burned down their warehouse for the insurance money shortly after the crash.

Anyone tried the Integra DCT?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Anyone riding a Zuma 125? I am pretty much sold on this scooter.

Just trolling CL looking for a good one at a reasonable price now...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chinatown posted:

I've ridden one, it's perfectly nice but also indistinguishable from any other Japanese or Taiwanese made scoot that size. I wouldn't turn down a Buddy at a great price, for example.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

gently caress SYM, they left me high and dry for RV250 parts after their old American distributor burned down their warehouse for the insurance money shortly after the crash.

Anyone tried the Integra DCT?

poo poo, I forgot about that bullshit. Yeah, gently caress SYM then.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Chinatown posted:

I have one and I love it. It's everything I wanted it to be - adequately powered, fun to ride, reliable. I've had mine a bit over a year now. My main complaint would be that the seat is a bit uncomfortable, but it's not enough to keep me from doing a 350 mile weekend on it, for example. Oh, also, the stock tires are worthless bullshit in the rain, but I ride to commute in Seattle, so that matters a lot more to me than to most people.

Radbot posted:

I've ridden one, it's perfectly nice but also indistinguishable from any other Japanese or Taiwanese made scoot that size. I wouldn't turn down a Buddy at a great price, for example.

You could say the same about any modern 125-150cc scooter from a major manufacturer. Slight differences in performance between them, but mostly it's subjective stuff.

Objectively, though, the 12" wheels of the Zuma 125 give it very different handling characteristics than a 10" bike. And since they're the exact same size tires as the big 200-300cc modern Vespas it opens up some tire choices that are not available to 10" bikes.

The only truly distinct scooter sold right now is the manual-shift Stella. I have one of the older 2-stroke ones. The 2-stroke Stella is an exciting bike to ride boringly, and a slightly-scary bike to ride excitedly. The Zuma is a boring bike to ride boringly*, but a very rewarding bike to ride excitedly.

*(true for any CVT scooter)

Radbot posted:

Hey now that was Carter Brothers' fault not SYM's! They have a new distributor.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

"Gay Nudist Dad" posted:

Hey now that was Carter Brothers' fault not SYM's! They have a new distributor.

Yeah, SYM is now being distributed by Lance PowerSports. Currently emailing back and forth with them as to why my drat scooter is not functioning correctly. New trick besides randomly dying is to be fine while giving it throttle, but die at an idle.

We'll see what they end up doing for me.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, here is what I found on Craigslist.

A 1985 Honda Elite 250 for 1000$. I'm told it runs great.

That's the end of the good news.

The bad: Cosmetic damage (I don't care), 57000 km on the odometer (OUCH!), stolen in the past (recovered and repaired since) and a broken speedometer cable.

I'm thinking of offering 900$, but drat... that is a LOT of kilometers.

Any advice? I'd like that scooter and I'm on a budget... I just don't want to buy something that will break down after a few commutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

I just don't want to buy something that will break down after a few commutes.

In that case, it would be prudent to avoid buying a 30-year-old theft-recovery scooter that is damaged and missing parts.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

No Gravitas posted:

Well, here is what I found on Craigslist.

A 1985 Honda Elite 250 for 1000$. I'm told it runs great.

That's the end of the good news.

The bad: Cosmetic damage (I don't care), 57000 km on the odometer (OUCH!), stolen in the past (recovered and repaired since) and a broken speedometer cable.

I'm thinking of offering 900$, but drat... that is a LOT of kilometers.

Any advice? I'd like that scooter and I'm on a budget... I just don't want to buy something that will break down after a few commutes.

That is not a good deal. That is a lot of miles and you can find a newer, nicer scooter for a grand, especially if you broaden your search beyond just the Elite 250.

Apparently the Elite 250 used the same motor as the Helix for most of it's life (source), so that's a huge plus for engine/transmission parts availability, but I'd be weary of availability for Elite 250 specific parts.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the advice. I realise I came across as a moron. I'm sorry about that. I'm stupid with mechanical stuff. I want to learn, but I'm not there yet.

I need at least 150cc because I will be often accompanied by a pretty heavy person on the scooter. This kinda limits my options. This is Vancouver, things are insanely overpriced on Craigslist and otherwise. The cheapest 150 I could find new is about 2000$, from China. The used options are not pretty either. I figure the Honda can maybe absorb a repair or two and still come ahead until I switch to something else. I'm graduating in a couple of terms, but I need to commute somehow till then.

I listened to your advice and I politely told the person that I'm scared of the mileage and that I'd love to buy it, but I cannot justify the purchase at this price.

Back came the reply to make an offer.

How much would you offer? And "nothing" is a perfectly good answer.

Thanks again. I'm very lost in all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The thing about buying old vehicles is that they all need work done. It's just entropy -- machines need maintenance or they fall apart. You can't get around that. If you just want to ride an old vehicle, you should buy the most expensive one you can find, because it's already had most of the work done and should be pretty solid from the start. If you buy a cheap old vehicle, you need to account for a big chunk of money beyond the purchase price to replace all the things that wear out (fluids, tires, brakes, battery, maybe cables and seals) and then anything else unexpected on top of that. Then once you're back in running order, you still have to deal with the realities of old technology: tuning this, replacing that, fixing the other, gluing whatever back on. If that's what you're looking for, great -- it will be frustrating at times but it's rewarding to get an old thing working right again. If it's not what you want, it'll just be really frustrating.

Basically, if you just want to ride, I'd say look for something under ten years old and less than maybe 25,000 km. The more scootery folks can recommend some models. If you want an Elite, you should be prepared to pay more than you expect and/or learn to wrench.

I say this as someone whose first motorcycle started out as a pile of non-running junk in a barn, by the way. I got it back on the road to my satisfaction, but it took several months of work, blew up once, was out of commission at random intervals all the time, and cost me maybe double what I could have bought the finished product outright for. Don't do this if you want something to get yourself to and from school.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 4, 2014