Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So this happened on the way home tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2meSqppE4

Dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had someone pull that on the inside shoulder on 10W, right before the Broadway curve actually starts.

There was a car broken down in that lane ahead of him at the time, too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

So this happened on the way home tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2meSqppE4

Dumbass.
So, as dumb as that guy is, Chevy Equinoxes aren't exactly blazing fast accelerating vehicles. So maybe check your mirrors next time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that the 15 west of Vegas?

I have passed a few morons doing the "rolling roadblock" going 70mph before that way. Flat, straight, and clear visibility obviously.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

So, as dumb as that guy is, Chevy Equinoxes aren't exactly blazing fast accelerating vehicles. So maybe check your mirrors next time.

If you watch the beginning, you'll see I am pulling over after passing a completely different large pickup truck. The Chevy started his lane change (I saw him perfectly fine in my mirror, thank you) when I was about exactly splitting the lanes. You can clearly hear my turn-signal in the video starting before I began my lane change, so yea. gently caress off.

Chinatown posted:

Is that the 15 west of Vegas?

I have passed a few morons doing the "rolling roadblock" going 70mph before that way. Flat, straight, and clear visibility obviously.

I-10 west of Phoenix. I was doing about 80, and I was getting over because the next exit was mine, not because those guys in the left lane were going slow (they were probably doing just over 75).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

If you watch the beginning, you'll see I am pulling over after passing a completely different large pickup truck. The Chevy started his lane change (I saw him perfectly fine in my mirror, thank you) when I was about exactly splitting the lanes. You can clearly hear my turn-signal in the video starting before I began my lane change, so yea. gently caress off.
First off, that's ... quite a nice way to end a post. Thanks for that.

Second, arguments about who started the lane change first, etc, are really moot in the face of this: You willfully pulled out in front of a vehicle going much faster than you. You're not the speed police (which I guess is just the regular police, but still). Don't cause an accident because "you're right". You're just opening yourself up to "also being injured", which being "right" is not worth.

The Locator posted:

I-10 west of Phoenix. I was doing about 80, and I was getting over because the next exit was mine, not because those guys in the left lane were going slow (they were probably doing just over 75).
... Followed by an admission that you were just chilling in the left lane with the right wide open. Man, I love it when people do that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Second, arguments about who started the lane change first, etc, are really moot in the face of this: You willfully pulled out in front of a vehicle going much faster than you. You're not the speed police (which I guess is just the regular police, but still). Don't cause an accident because "you're right". You're just opening yourself up to "also being injured", which being "right" is not worth.
... Followed by an admission that you were just chilling in the left lane with the right wide open. Man, I love it when people do that.

Why are you trying to make an argument out of this? He moved into the right lane as soon as he cleared the pickup truck to his right. Plus he was passing traffic on the right AND keeping up with the pace of traffic in the left. Where do you get the right lane was wide open? Did you not see the big truck he passed?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Why are you trying to make an argument out of this? He moved into the right lane as soon as he cleared the pickup truck to his right. Plus he was passing traffic on the right AND keeping up with the pace of traffic in the left.
I'm not "trying to make an argument" out of anything - he pulled a stupid driving move, and that's never been what Automotive Insanity is about.

Coredump posted:

Where do you get the right lane was wide open? Did you not see the big truck he passed?

The Locator posted:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Maybe I'm not typing English or something that made you not understand what happened. Maybe a picture would help.

After clearing that large Dodge Truck that is cruising along in the not quite so wide open right lane, I signaled and began a lane change into the right lane. Midway through my lane change, the vehicle going much faster than me started a lane change going from the left lane all the way to the shoulder, and then passing me.

Given that I was already halfway into the right lane when he started his abrupt lane change behind me, what would you think would be the proper course of action, since apparently being very predictable and continuing my already in progress lane change is causing an accident and being the speed police?

Edit: Re your post while I was posting. Do you not get over in advance of your exit? The upcoming exit was where I needed to get off the interstate. If I wasn't exiting there I would have just cruised along behind those other dudes since traffic in that area tends to be slower in the right lane (as evidenced by the truck I passed). I was simply saying that I was moving over in advance of my exit, not moving over to zip past the dudes in the left lane, who were going plenty fast enough that I would have been perfectly happy tooling along behind them.

In any case, whatever, feel free to think that I was the one pulling a stupid traffic move.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 30, 2014

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I-10 in rush hour is stupid. There is a HOV lane in Phoenix/Glendale that is only enforced in the morning and after 3pm until like 6pm, but even during enforcement time one occupant vehicles still weave in and out. It's pretty dangerous.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I thought the guy was passing the big truck on the right, but he was behind you at first? Geez.

Is this gif accurate? (besides the shapes touching)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazy posted:

I thought the guy was passing the big truck on the right, but he was behind you at first? Geez.

That's how I understand it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kazy posted:

Yep, that's pretty much it. Still can't see why Krakkles thinks I pulled a stupid traffic move in this.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yep, that's pretty much it. Still can't see why Krakkles thinks I pulled a stupid traffic move in this.

You can sit still and catch someone running a red light, and someone somewhere will find a way to blame you for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbsyudrcsk

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

I'm not "trying to make an argument" out of anything - he pulled a stupid driving move, and that's never been what Automotive Insanity is about.
[/

[quote="Krakkles" post="432864832"]

Krakkle yes or no, do you see a big truck in the right lane at the start of his video?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Krakkle yes or no, do you see a big truck in the right lane at the start of his video?
:rolleyes:

Coredum yes or no, do you think a Chevy Equinox can accelerate from 80-(95? 100?) entirely on the shoulder in the timespan shown on video?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Coredum yes or no, do you think a Chevy Equinox can accelerate from 80-(95? 100?) entirely on the shoulder in the timespan shown on video?

Answer the question. Yes or no do you see the truck in the right lane. Because you're saying that the right lane is wide open depends on that. But heck, lets go with your version of events. So you're saying the Equinox can't accelerate that fast right? Okay I'm with you so far. That would mean that The Locator was moving into the right lane, out of the way of the faster approaching vehicle as soon as he had a chance? Which is exactly what you're supposed to do? Right?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Coredump posted:

Answer the question. Yes or no do you see the truck in the right lane. Because you're saying that the right lane is wide open depends on that. But heck, lets go with your version of events. So you're saying the Equinox can't accelerate that fast right? Okay I'm with you so far. That would mean that The Locator was moving into the right lane, out of the way of the faster approaching vehicle as soon as he had a chance? Which is exactly what you're supposed to do? Right?
Or, as I said earlier, he pulled in front of a faster moving vehicle.

Pulling out into the only gap a faster moving vehicle could possibly choose is just as dangerous as pulling into the lane it's already occupying. (If not more dangerous, because now two drivers are changing lanes, something they're generally pretty bad at doing safely.)

The equinox driver should've braked (or, frankly, slowed the hell down in general), but the guy who posted the video did something pretty dumb too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You still refuse to answer the question. But either way I rest my case. You're delusional.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp it's settled folks, getting out of the passing lane allow faster traffic by is a terrible idea!

:goonsay:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Pulling out into the only gap a faster moving vehicle could possibly choose is just as dangerous as pulling into the lane it's already occupying. (If not more dangerous, because now two drivers are changing lanes, something they're generally pretty bad at doing safely.)

So I understand now, I should have somehow predicted that he would want to be in the right lane in front of the Dodge, and never begun to make my own lane change.

So my failure here was in my lack of mind reading ability, or failure of being able to reverse time and make my lane change not start after observing him starting his lane change while already mid-way through mine.

Or maybe signaling that I was moving out of the lane he was in so that he could just pass to my left was the issue?

Oh wait, I know! It was that I made my lane change a reasonably safe distance in front of the Dodge so that driver wouldn't have to slam on his brakes. Totally unreasonable of me to pull in front of that Dodge far enough ahead to leave a gap large enough to slam an SUV into.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

So I understand now, I should have somehow predicted that he would want to be in the right lane in front of the Dodge, and never begun to make my own lane change.

So my failure here was in my lack of mind reading ability, ...
So, you've already said that you had already observed the Equinox coming up behind you at a faster speed than you, and you definitely knew there was traffic in front of you in the left lane. Additionally, you knew that the Dodge was in the right lane.

What did you THINK the Equinox was going to do?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Krakkles posted:

So, you've already said that you had already observed the Equinox coming up behind you at a faster speed than you, and you definitely knew there was traffic in front of you in the left lane. Additionally, you knew that the Dodge was in the right lane.

Drive like a responsible human being and remain in his goddamn lane.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Krakkles posted:

I thought it was going to morph into a polka-dotted, exquisite bird of paradise, grow an extra kidney, and write a commentary on the israeli-palestinian conflict.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Wait, so you said there is traffic in front of him. AND you say there is traffic to his right. If this is the case wouldn't the Equinox have no where to go and need to get on the brakes anyways? Plus The Locator said earlier he began his lane change BEFORE the Equinox did. As in he was getting out of the way of the faster vehicle. At this point its time to start peeing in the well.

Krakkles posted:

Followed by an admission that you were just chilling in the left lane with the right wide open. Man, I love it when people do that.

Krakkles posted:

Additionally, you knew that the Dodge was in the right lane.
:allears:

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2014

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Here is a pretty scary video. This is about an hour away from me, not my video. He is using this cam.

Water on I-80

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Pivit posted:

Here is a pretty scary video. This is about an hour away from me, not my video. He is using this cam.
Water on I-80
Thats what I just call "driving in the rain in Newfoundland". The roads here are so full of ruts that you are constantly trying to drive in high points in the asphalt. My friend has an Integra on coilovers and he scrapes his header in the middle if he drives in the ruts.

You get used to being occasionally drowned in loving water on the roads after a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know a lot of people hate it, but situations like that are why I slather rain-x all over my windows. It instantly clears water spray as shown in that video, that annoying as poo poo mist that semi trucks generate, slushy snow splatters, and it even clears the stuff coming from the sky!

Wipers just aren't fast enough to deal with sudden spikes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

thelightguy posted:

Drive like a responsible human being and remain in his goddamn lane.
Those aren't particularly reasonable expectations, which I suppose is the root point of everything I've said.

Coredump posted:

Wait, so you said there is traffic in front of him. AND you say there is traffic to his right. If this is the case wouldn't the Equinox have no where to go and need to get on the brakes anyways? Plus The Locator said earlier he began his lane change BEFORE the Equinox did. As in he was getting out of the way of the faster vehicle. At this point its time to start peeing in the well.

:allears:
So, do you think that no lane can be identified as "wide open" unless there are no vehicles anywhere within the contiguous extent of the possible paths a driver can possibly select?

It was wide open, after he passed the Dodge.

Your other arguments are similarly limited in vision.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If I was the rear end in a top hat in the Equinox what I would have wanted is for him to have stayed in his lane and leave the right lane completely open for me to swerve into and pass everyone in the left lane. That being said, that's only what I would want to happen because I'm an rear end in a top hat driving an Equinox at 90 miles an hour and what he did was perfectly legal, acceptable, and most importantly was telegraphed beforehand and therefore completely predictable. He wasn't showing anyone who's the boss by signaling a lane change and maintaining his already fast pace. If your only point is that he could have predicted an idiot was coming up behind him then sure, he could have, but that depends on exactly how far beforehand he noticed the Chevy's speed and if he wasn't aware of the exact disparity between their speeds, only the fact that he was gaining on him, then no there's no reason he should assume the guy was going to swerve around him that fast instead of just match his speed and pass everyone on the left together.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So instead of going back to the right hand lane as soon as he completed his pass (as he did), he should have stayed in the passing lane with a driver barreling up behind him?

If anything he's the only guy in that video (other than maybe the truck that he passed) that is driving properly. Everyone else should be out of the left lane.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Krakkles posted:

The standard of driving in this country is poo poo I know, but is "pass on the shoulder" really what would come to mind for you ahead of "pass me on the left and then cut me off to get into the right lane" or "slow down"? Hindsight is 20/20 etc..

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
This is a really stupid argument but Krakkles is a loving terrible poster and should be on your ignore list already

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sanchez posted:

The standard of driving in this country is poo poo I know, but is "pass on the shoulder" really what would come to mind for you ahead of "pass me on the left and then cut me off to get into the right lane" or "slow down"? Hindsight is 20/20 etc..

People pull the shoulder passing bullshit at least 2-3 times a week while I'm sitting in traffic. And there never seems to be a cop around when you want one. A couple years back a couple teens lost their legs changing a tire when some fuckface rear ended their car on the shoulder.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
Two days after installing a Mini 0801 I caught some minor 4 way stop shenanigans, although if I was half a second earlier it might not have been so minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIxeXuEOZk

The camera itself is a bit loose in the mount and it hangs not quite level, which is why everything looks kinda sideways. It can wiggle around a bit so I might try stuffing a piece of paper or something in there to straighten it up, but overall it's a minor issue. The mount uses a sticky pad on the window that absolutely would not budge when I tried to re-adjust it, so that's good. It'll be interesting to see how it lasts through winter though. Sound is average but who cares. Video quality seems pretty good in the daytime at least. The main thing I like is how small it is, I can't see it at all up behind my rearview. Passengers may or may not notice it, but again who cares. It comes with a cigarette lighter power cord, but I picked up a 12v -> 5V usb converter and hooked it into the cig lighter wiring behind the dash. A 6' USB cable up behind the A-pillar trim and headliner and it's good to go.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, but hopefully I won't capture anything too crazy :shobon:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

So I just went ahead and bought these things:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPBRH0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRWQBDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0NI042/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I shouldn't need anything else if that review video is accurate and the cam comes with a cigarette-lighter charger, right? Since that should already have the 12V-to-5V stepdown circuitry...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got a G1W, only had it on for a few days so far and already caught some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RczTuYgt9c

Does anyone make a mirror mount that sticks it next to the mirror support, instead of below it? I want to hide it up behind the mirror as much as possible, especially on the CRV since my wife hates having anything additional in her field of view. Or should I get a Mini 801 for her?

To clarify - in the video I have the camera up in that position on the suction cup, I just don't trust the cup to hold long term and would rather use the mirror mount.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 4, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I discovered my Panorama II gets into a boot loop if it gets too hot. I think it was about 30C / 86F but the car had been sitting windows open for about 10 minutes. It might actually be a failure of the SD card cause it did a similar thing when it wasn't formatted correctly. Anyways this might be an important consideration for those of you in hotter climates although it has the advantage of using a capacitor over a battery which we know can distort or explode when hot. Car I was driving has no A/C so sitting in the windshield like that it's bound to get toasted on a sunny day.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

To clarify - in the video I have the camera up in that position on the suction cup, I just don't trust the cup to hold long term and would rather use the mirror mount.

I'm using the suction cup mount that came with the G1W and it's never come off. Going on 4 months now.

The car usually is in covered parking, but on some days I end up parking w/o shade since everyone goes after the covered spots now that it's hot, and still no problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got a G1W, only had it on for a few days so far and already caught some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RczTuYgt9c

Does anyone make a mirror mount?

Aww, it's more fun when you leave the audio on so we can critique your music choices and use of expletives.

As for a mirror mount, there is something up earlier in this thread about mirror mounting the g1w. They used a mount designed for something else, but apparently works with the g1w. I'll try to find it when I get off mobile and on to a PC.