Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, it looks like the panting stopped in both of them. Strangely, it was the timid one I managed to coax out and play/explore with for a bit. The older one seems content to just sit in a corner and rest for now. They have food/water/litterbox out close to their hiding spot now.

Thanks for the reassurances. I expected them to be stressed for a bit, but got a bit worried when they both started to pant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

I have a silly question from a new kitten owner for the cat experts in the house that wasn't covered in the OP: How can I make our new kitten (Ruby the Wonder Twin as my fiancee affectionately calls her) more affectionate/cuddly/comfortable/etc?

I'm no dog expert but honestly it sounds like you're thinking more like a dog owner than a cat owner. Cats have pretty distinct personalities that are much more difficult to mold, even if you get them as a kitten. Basically, there isn't a way to "make" your cat more of a lap cat than she's going to be. If she's generally comfortable around you, and it sounds like she is, then everything's fine and she'll be as affectionate as she wants to. Some cats are lap cats and some cats are shoulder cats and some cats prefer to lie next to humans but not on top of them, and it doesn't necessarily mean that one cat is more comfortable and happy than the other. I mean, you can try to get her used to lying on laps and you can try giving her treats to make her associate particular behaviours with a nice reward and it won't make her hate you or anything (some might say picking up cats and putting them places and generally screwing with them is one of the privileges of cat ownership), but it won't necessarily work either. She might also grow into it as she gets older and less full of ridiculous kitten energy, or she might not.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Charles Martel posted:

I have a silly question from a new kitten owner for the cat experts in the house that wasn't covered in the OP: How can I make our new kitten (Ruby the Wonder Twin as my fiancee affectionately calls her) more affectionate/cuddly/comfortable/etc?

As mentioned, there's not much you can do to change a cats personality. But the best thing you can do is make sure the cat is happy and all its needs are met. If this is the case, to the extent that it's in their personality to be affectionate it will be so. Even a cat that is normally affectionate will not be so if something is wrong.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Thank you both for your thoughts. Yes, I think a lot more like a dog owner than a cat owner since several dogs have come and gone throughout my life, yet this is my first cat. I just wanted to express my experience so far to see if what I'm doing or not doing is causing her not to be more of a "lap cat". From what you guys are saying, it looks like I'm on the right path and should just let her do her thing.

She whined to me when I got home from work and I quickly deduced that she needed her litter scooped (like I do every night now) and now she's sleeping by my feet again. She's so cute I can't stand it. :3:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Charles Martel posted:

Thank you both for your thoughts. Yes, I think a lot more like a dog owner than a cat owner since several dogs have come and gone throughout my life, yet this is my first cat. I just wanted to express my experience so far to see if what I'm doing or not doing is causing her not to be more of a "lap cat". From what you guys are saying, it looks like I'm on the right path and should just let her do her thing.

She whined to me when I got home from work and I quickly deduced that she needed her litter scooped (like I do every night now) and now she's sleeping by my feet again. She's so cute I can't stand it. :3:
I would say that you should definitely handle your cat a lot and hold them and get them used to it, whether they like it or not.* This isn't so much for trying to make them a lap cat, but more for having them put up with you when you need to wrangle them for various things like cutting nails, getting them off a table, or if you ever have to bathe them.

*some older cats will just get angry bitey, and I don't really have a good suggestion for them, but you have a kitten so go for it

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Charles Martel posted:

When she's tired and sleepy is a good time to try and get her to stay on you. So long as she doesn't get too warm, kittens will often just go 'meh, need sleep so I suppose here will do if he insists'. Gradually she'll see you as a warm safe place. Also make sure you're not staring at her or grabbing at her.

A lot of doggy people don't know or forget that direct, prolonged eye contact is hostile body language to cats. Call her over and when she turns to you, deliberately blink slowly or face away. Try and consciously avoid staring at her if she's looking back at you (obviously if she doesn't notice she won't care). The grabby part: dog people just reach out and pat their pets, cats often see that as an incoming attack and dodge away (worse in timid or traumatized cats). Reach out slowly with the back of your hand showing to her (but not looking directly at her), let her sniff first and only turn the hand round to pet her once she acknowledges you as safe (a rub on the hand or a lick). I deal with rescues a lot and these simple things really help get cats confidence in you up, might be worth a try with your kitten.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

i would just give her time. She was very young when you got her. Most people will say a kitten shouldn't leave mum or litter mates until over 8 weeks.

if you havent already buy her a toy that she can snuggle.

also read up on creating a safe zone for her.

Also, read to her while sitting on the floor. talk to her sitting on the floor

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Charles Martel posted:

TL;DR: How do I make our new kitten more comfortable and affectionate since I don't want to do the wrong things at the wrong time so she associates with either one of us negatively because I don't want her to hate us HELP :cry:

I concur with the others saying lots of love and physical contact, but I think it's also important to never react too badly to negative behaviour. It goes without saying that you should never physically (or even verbally, I suppose) abuse your cat, even when she's done something wrong, and I'm sure you know that already. It just makes you look like the bad guy in their eyes. Besides, cats don't respond to that anyway - just love and praise, the little smug fuckers :keke:

Maybe I just got lucky with my kitty Pixel, but I like to think these things combined contributed to her being so lovely and affectionate with me. In fact, she's curled up on my lap snoozing away right now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So my little terror is unfazed by pretending I'm hurt or yelling no when he bites too hard but I finally found something that works. If I make a noise like the fat Gungan king from Phantom Menace he stops biting and retreats with a confused look on his face.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
My Siamese cat keeps getting out of the house somehow. I have literally no idea how the hell this is happening since all of our windows and vents are sealed and obviously I'm sure we'd see her if she just darted out the front door. It's just bizarre, it's like she's an escape artist or something. My boyfriend isn't too horribly concerned and is more entertained by it than anything else but it does freak me out so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and if so, what'd you do? How'd you figure out the source of the break-out? Our other cat gets so depressed and cries all day whenever she's gone and it makes me so sad :(

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
OK so

We took in a siamese cat from the parking lot of the hotel I work at recently. She's been with us about 4 months now and is a very young cat (less than a year definitely). We've took her to the vet to be checked out shortly after finding her, and aside from being slightly underweight they gave her a clean bill of health and recommended spaying. She eats and plays and is in general a very sweet and happy cat.

Took her in for the spaying at another branch of this vet and they found a heart murmur that was missed during the first checkup. They said it's relatively worrisome (a 3 on their scale) mostly because she's so young and skinny (though she is gaining weight very slightly). They wanted to do x-rays as soon as possible, which aren't covered by the pet insurance that we got through my boyfriend's sister who works at this vet. Basically we are almost too poor to afford her as things are, and even if we manage to scrape up enough for x-rays eventually there is no real foreseeable way that we are going to be able to afford to treat any sort of serious complication that might be revealed by them. So at this point we are just hoping that the murmur ends up being a benign thing, we're just monitoring her health more closely and trying to keep her as happy and healthy as possible.

So long story short, upon finding this murmur, the vet recommended not spaying her because they are worried about the effects of the anaestesia without knowing what is causing the murmur. Two other vets also confirmed the murmur, for what it's worth. We've been keeping her indoors and she seems pretty fine with the setup, but her heats have been getting really terrible to deal with.

She went into heat (pretty sure for the first time, since we didn't find her knocked up) right around the time we first took her into the vet. We've been able to tolerate her and try to give her lots of playtime and affection, but it's just been wearing us out lately. She's not aggressive or anything, just really affectionate and seemingly always awake and doing the loud booming "in heat" meow. All we seem to be able to hope to do is momentarily distract her from it. We've tried spraying her when she does it, and she just straight up doesn't care anymore. She definitely recognizes what we're spraying her for, she just starts acting really sneaky when the bottle is presented but goes on to do it anyway. So after trying that for a little while we just started to feel like assholes.

Part of it is definitely that her heats are frequent and have little downtime in between. She seems to go into heat every week with about 2-3 days in between. Four days of this terrible meowing all night. My boyfriend and I, and our other roommate, all work full time for poo poo pay and are just exhausted all the time now. We can only really hope to get 4 hours of solid sleep max any given night. Mostly we all feel for her, and want to help her somehow. We know it's a no picnic of a situation for her either.

So I just wanted to post and ask for ideas. We love this cat and really do want to keep her. I only really have two ideas at this point:

1) Masturbate my cat. I only read a little bit about "the q-tip method" when she was first going into heat and wrote it off as something that I would simply like to avoid, but knowing we can't spay her anytime soon, I am more ready to consider it. Is this a thing that works? Has anyone done it, and does anyone think it would possibly help in the slightest? Is there anything that I can use that is less sleazy than a q-tip? I just don't even know where to start there.

2) Get another cat. I was thinking a chill neutered male cat, so maybe she can work off some of this sexual energy somehow. This might be a lot of peoples' immediate recommendation, and I know having 2 cats solves a lot of problems, but we are just so so broke right now. I know there could also be other issues here, and we just don't know how far it would go towards solving the problem.

It's a tricky situation, but I desperately want it to work out, so I'm just looking for thoughts in general or maybe anyone else's similar experiences. Thanks :)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Two years and two months ago, a elderly cat followed me home. She turned out to be hyperthyroidic but otherwise ok; 2 pills a day brought that under control. A few weeks ago she started getting extra active and a few days ago she started making more noise than usual, so I made an appointment to check her thyroid levels. Today I found out 1) she's down a pound and 2) she has a mass in her abdomen. Bloodwork should come back tomorrow. This is from the vet's notes:

quote:

PE: BAR; very thin; H+L: tachycardic; Abd: mass palpable in cranial abdomen. Fluid throughout intestines(?) on palp.
Blood drawn for CBC/Chem/T4.
Fully body rads: homogenous opacity throughout cranial abdomen (except gas noted in stomach).
I assume the tachycardia is probably related to her needing an increase in her thyroid medication (T4 test should confirm), but I have no idea what the fluid in her intestines would indicate. The vet recommended an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy since the x-rays are inconclusive, but I have them on a disc anyway. I looked at them and, yup, not very useful. I can pick out her heart, lungs, stomach, and intestines; the rest is completely opaque.
I know what the worst case scenario is, and I'm resigned to it. I've given her a good life, and there's no way I'm putting her through chemo or on any medication that will gently caress her up. Is it worth doing a consult with a radiologist?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Anyone know where I can get one of those play tent cube things for really cheap online? I just bought a small hamper that is similar to one of those, and Pixel is going apeshit for it. Ideally I'd let her play with that but it's crappy mesh, so it'd be in ribbons as soon as I leave her unattended with it.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 1, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

I know a cat in heat can be annoying, but spraying her with a water bottle sounds pretty messed up.

As for a recommendation, I'm not sure you'll like it. I think you need find out what's wrong with the cat ASAP. Try to arrange a payment plan with the Vet if you can. If the condition is something you are not able to treat, then you need to find someone who can and rehome the cat.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

bubblelubble posted:

Anyone know where I can get one of those play tent cube things for really cheap? I just bought a small hamper that is similar to one of those, and Pixel is going apeshit for it. Ideally I'd let her play with that but it's crappy mesh, so it'd be in ribbons as soon as I leave her unattended with it.

I got one at WalMart. It's called the Sleepy Corner and my
kitten goes nuts for it. He's helping me type this post, also. He's 10 weeks old but I think a bigger cat could fit in it with no problems.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Dantu posted:

I got one at WalMart. It's called the Sleepy Corner and my
kitten goes nuts for it. He's helping me type this post, also. He's 10 weeks old but I think a bigger cat could fit in it with no problems.

Oh I should've been clearer: I'm in Australia, so I meant moreso online. But thanks for the feedback!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

bubblelubble posted:

Oh I should've been clearer: I'm in Australia, so I meant moreso online. But thanks for the feedback!

NP! It's made by Sport Pet Designs and you can build your own KITTY CITY because they have other interconnecting kits. Maybe they have it down unda

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

I took in a stray kitten about two years ago. Took her to the vet right after bringing her in, got her checked out and fixed and all that good stuff. I've kept her indoors ever since and things have been mostly great. Over the last month or so she's developed a bit of an annoying habit. Whenever she shits in the litter box, she runs out of it at full speed. She'll proceed to basically do a lap around the entire house as fast as she can run. Its actually rather entertaining to watch her tear around and that part doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me, is that she runs out of the box before she's quite finished with her poo poo. This inevitably leads to one stray piece of poo poo finding its way out of the box when she makes her abrupt exit.

I've taken her to the vet, and she's got a clean bill of health, so there is nothing physically wrong. I scoop both of the boxes every night. I've tried switching litter, and tried a new box with a lid hoping that would slow her down. She just refused to use the box with the lid and used a secondary littler box until I removed the lid. I've also tried adding a little extra litter to the box hoping that could help her to take the time to dig/cover. The vet has recommended trying yet another litter, specifically unscented, and I plan on giving that a shot this weekend. Anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions of something I could try to keep the poo poo in the box?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dantu posted:

So my little terror is unfazed by pretending I'm hurt or yelling no when he bites too hard but I finally found something that works. If I make a noise like the fat Gungan king from Phantom Menace he stops biting and retreats with a confused look on his face.
You could also hiss at your cat.

Captain Mog posted:

My Siamese cat keeps getting out of the house somehow. I have literally no idea how the hell this is happening since all of our windows and vents are sealed and obviously I'm sure we'd see her if she just darted out the front door. It's just bizarre, it's like she's an escape artist or something. My boyfriend isn't too horribly concerned and is more entertained by it than anything else but it does freak me out so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and if so, what'd you do? How'd you figure out the source of the break-out? Our other cat gets so depressed and cries all day whenever she's gone and it makes me so sad :(
Probably terrible idea: tie a thread to her and see where it spools off to.

Try to control your areas better and start closing off rooms; this should help you narrow down possible exit points. You should also take a very close look at the outside of your house and look for places that might be exits. Can your cat go into the ceiling or walls anywhere in your home? Are your windows locked in such a way that your cat can't open them herself?

Laplacean Demon posted:

I took in a stray kitten about two years ago. Took her to the vet right after bringing her in, got her checked out and fixed and all that good stuff. I've kept her indoors ever since and things have been mostly great. Over the last month or so she's developed a bit of an annoying habit. Whenever she shits in the litter box, she runs out of it at full speed. She'll proceed to basically do a lap around the entire house as fast as she can run. Its actually rather entertaining to watch her tear around and that part doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me, is that she runs out of the box before she's quite finished with her poo poo. This inevitably leads to one stray piece of poo poo finding its way out of the box when she makes her abrupt exit.

I've taken her to the vet, and she's got a clean bill of health, so there is nothing physically wrong. I scoop both of the boxes every night. I've tried switching litter, and tried a new box with a lid hoping that would slow her down. She just refused to use the box with the lid and used a secondary littler box until I removed the lid. I've also tried adding a little extra litter to the box hoping that could help her to take the time to dig/cover. The vet has recommended trying yet another litter, specifically unscented, and I plan on giving that a shot this weekend. Anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions of something I could try to keep the poo poo in the box?
Definitely use unscented litter, and you have a kitten that has ridiculous energy so good luck with that. I guess you could try the DIY top entry rubbermaid litterbox thing, but I dunno if that'll necessarily help.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I know a cat in heat can be annoying, but spraying her with a water bottle sounds pretty messed up.

As for a recommendation, I'm not sure you'll like it. I think you need find out what's wrong with the cat ASAP. Try to arrange a payment plan with the Vet if you can. If the condition is something you are not able to treat, then you need to find someone who can and rehome the cat.

For sure, I'd agree. We've stopped spraying her at this point because it hasn't worked. I just don't know what to do and thought we could train her out of being so noisy. She keeps us up all night and we each work 40+ hours a week and are dedicating a portion of our meager survival money toward keeping her alive. It's far beyond annoying, we simply cannot keep up with the situation as is.

Vet won't take a payment plan and I'm just trying to figure out a way to take care of her considering the situation. We're not opposed to rehoming her, I am kind of figuring that's inevitable now. But it's hard enough trying to find a home for a kitty in the city, much less an unspayable one with a vague medical condition.

There are a lot of cats out there who are simply not going to get quite the care they need, and at the end of the line I'd rather do as much as I can than nothing. I could save a year for these x rays and what would it matter if the best possible case scenario is that I wasted that money in the first place because there's nothing demonstrably wrong?

Pet ownership is already a fucky grey area when you think about it, all we're trying to do is keep her safe and relatively happy. I would argue that she is currently much better off than she was drinking antifreeze outside an airport hotel on the highway.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Laplacean Demon posted:

Whenever she shits in the litter box, she runs out of it at full speed. She'll proceed to basically do a lap around the entire house as fast as she can run. Its actually rather entertaining to watch her tear around and that part doesn't bother me at all.

We have a cat that does the same thing...except our litterbox is covered. He would still bolt out of it after whenever he's feeling like a spaz ) get litter everywhere. My solution was to put the entrance to the box close to a wall or similar object, so that he couldn't easily fly out of it. That fixed the issue...but that doesn't work for you if your cat won't use a covered box.

Was there possibly something else with the covered box that she didn't like? Did it have a door/flap (our one cat had her tail get caught & refused to use it, so we always remove the flaps now otherwise she won't use them)? Maybe the shape or size was the issue? Maybe the opening wasn't as large as she would prefer? One thing I've seen here that maybe you could try is the homemade box (using those plastic totes) with a hole cut out on top, and I think even carpeted the top to catch litter bits. Maybe she would accept something like that?

We had a cat that liked to prop a leg up on the edge when he peed, we had one that liked to sometimes keep his butt in but his front half out. One cat preferred corners (facing outward), one preferred edges. One always liked to stare at something (that wasn't a wall) while he went. These all affected our choices in boxes. Though we never had a problem getting any of them to use a covered box. Most times it only mattered how large the opening was & what way we faced it. Only once did the shape matter, to the one that liked corners, and the new round box of course had none. Then again, we never had more than one litter box, so they were forced to get used to a covered box. We just made whatever minor adjustments they needed in order to suit their styles better so they'd stop complaining.

Maybe just watch her bathroom habits to see if there's a reason she might not be liking a covered box & then try to work around those preferences.

Wingnuttier
Apr 3, 2004
A nut with wings
My cat Sebastian, about a year old, bit me tonight when I accidentally stepped on him. It was a hard bite with four distinct puncture marks, and, as it's after midnight, I'm not sure what to do. I think he's okay; he isn't acting any differently than normal, but doctor google tells me if I see my doctor about the bite, then my cat might have to be put in quarantine for up to two weeks (he is current with all his shots). We recently bought a house and are in the process of moving, and adopted we just two kittens so I don't want to put him through any additional stress if I don't have to. He was at the new house with his littermate and the kittens when I stepped on him and the bite occurred and we brought him back to the old house for now to watch him. Is there anything else I should do (besides call the vet in the morning)?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wingnuttier posted:

My cat Sebastian, about a year old, bit me tonight when I accidentally stepped on him. It was a hard bite with four distinct puncture marks, and, as it's after midnight, I'm not sure what to do. I think he's okay; he isn't acting any differently than normal, but doctor google tells me if I see my doctor about the bite, then my cat might have to be put in quarantine for up to two weeks (he is current with all his shots). We recently bought a house and are in the process of moving, and adopted we just two kittens so I don't want to put him through any additional stress if I don't have to. He was at the new house with his littermate and the kittens when I stepped on him and the bite occurred and we brought him back to the old house for now to watch him. Is there anything else I should do (besides call the vet in the morning)?
Why would he go to quarantine if he's your cat and current? Normally, this would be an issue if it was a stray animal with the potential for rabies.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Go to a doctor and get an antibiotic and a tetanus shot because cat bites are deep and can cause infections. Since the cat has had a rabies shot you don't need to worry about that, obviously.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wingnuttier posted:

don't have to. He was at the new house with his littermate and the kittens when I stepped on him and the bite occurred and we brought him back to the old house for now to watch him. Is there anything else I should do (besides call the vet in the morning)?
Personally if I couldn't get to a doctor then and there I'd go and soak the injury in dilute TCP - cat bites are nasty due to infection, never mind any diseases that the cat might be carrying.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Re: cat bites, go to urgent care tomorrow or something for a prophylactic antibiotic shot, they may do tetanus as well if you haven't had one in the past 10 years. Cat scratch fever is real and lame.

Re: poo demons
In my experience kittens grow mostly out of this. My cat used to run at top speed out of the box when she poo poo, but she doesn't really do it anymore unless she has diarrhea or something. Then, "I have just shat a demon, MUST RUN" still applies. She's four. Cats!!! :argh:

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
I know there have been a hundred posts about fleas, and I even kind of remember what the standard advice is - but OH GOD, FLEAS.

As I recall at least some of what's recommended is vacuuming everything all the time, diatomaceous earth, and capstar. It seemed like there was another med to combine with the capstar, though. Tips or tricks?

EDIT: we have two kitties, adults, supposed to be indoor-only but sometimes they get out. Will also be investing in a Ssscat or eighty.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Whatever monthly topical parasite control your vet recommends to keep it from happening again.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, my 5 month old long/short hair mix won't stop chewing through headphones and iPhone charging cables. He doesn't go after anything else other than these. I'm guessing it's because of their small size and texture but I don't really know. He doesn't touch computer cables and isn't very interested in string. Any tips?

I have another cat as well that's about 3 and she's perfectly behaved. I'm going crazy here!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Double post. Meow.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
For chewing, I recommended:

Worked for us.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

This is my beautiful new kitty. He's about four months old; his slave name was Damon, which is absolutely inappropriate because he is the sweetest thing and loves snuggling up with me. He hasn't even done that much hiding even though he just came home today, and I had to play with him for like two hours before he would tire out.

The only problem is that he has tapeworms :argh: I know they're not even that dangerous for cats but it's super gross. The shelter made me promise I would take him to the vet within 48 hours, which I am definitely doing now since they're supposed to cover any medical problems he comes with.

But he is beautiful and I love him. I just don't know what to name the poor little booger.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
I've inadvertently created a monster out of my cat.

The bedroom window in my apartment faces a public walkway, so I have to keep the blinds down so people can't see in my bedroom while i'm sleeping. 99 percent of the time, Toast is an angel and ignores the blinds. That windowsill is one of his favorite places to sit and watch the world go by.

At 4 a.m., though? When he wants my attention, he starts climbing them. He apparently knows this works, because I can't have him loving with the blinds and breaking them, or I lose my privacy. And the second I get up, he bolts under the bed where I can't reach him, so I can't even lock him out of the room. Swift and immediate removal from my room is what stopped him from biting my toes under the covers and attacking me in the morning.

Nothing I've tried so far works, and I haven't had a decent night of sleep in forever. Wearing him out at night only keeps him asleep until 6 a.m. I work late nights and usually need to sleep a few hours later than that. I feel like my only options at this point are blackout curtains to block his access to the window, or somehow blocking his access to underneath the bed so I can actually catch the little rear end in a top hat and remove him from the room when he starts acting up. That's a stupid option, though, because he sleeps under the bed at night. I don't want him to lose one of his perches, either. I just want him to leave the blinds alone. :sigh:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Have you tried some sort of deterrent that doesn't require getting at him physically? I have a tin can with some pennies in that I rattle when my cats are being assholes, and it seems to work pretty well - they hate the noise enough that they quit whatever they're doing sharpish and seem disinclined to keep doing it after a few goes with the penny tin. I think I've even managed to convince Cinnamon to stop climbing and tearing up my drat curtains, the little jerk.

Since we moved house and leave the bedroom door open at night now, my two have taken to waking me up about 6am pretty consistently by scrabbling about or meowing in the bedroon. I'd try the penny tin but my partner somehow manages to sleep through most of their night-time antics and I don't want to wake him :( I think they are slowly realising that if they wake me up that early I'm still just going to roll over and ignore them though, so hopefully they'll quit bugging me soon.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Our oldest cat is terrified of this steel slinky we have; if we need to deter her from some part of the house we hang it on a doorknob of something.

Of course, sometimes we absentmindedly play with it and send her from peaceful kitty snoozing to terrified mad dashing. Oops.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

aghastly posted:

I don't want him to lose one of his perches, either. I just want him to leave the blinds alone. :sigh:

This part makes it hard. I'd suggest either getting a sssscat or bitter apple glazing the blinds, but stopping him from ducking with it at a specific time but allowing him to be there at other times is difficult for you and confusing for him. Maybe a shock mat placed there or over the blinds at night?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Actually, could you replace the blinds with curtains/drapes? Depending on the rental agreement maybe you could keep the blinds stowed away and just put them back on when you move out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My wife has asthma. We are trying Yesterday's News kitty litter because it is supposed to be nearly dust-free.

Since it doesn't clump, how do I clean the boxes?

My wife suggested we just dump the whole pan every time and keep it shallow when we fill it but that seems like overkill.

Also one of our kittens peed on a cardboard box so I'm not even sure the cats will all take to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Day 9 of girlfriend's 2 cats meeting my 2 cats:

They went nose-to-nose for the first time through the door with mixed results. They seem to have paired off, where my Sherman loves her Ember, and my Callie loves her Fiona, but Sherman does not like Fiona and Ember does not like Callie. Sigh!

Back to the closed door routine. And of course a few hours later all four cats were at the door meowing for each other. You jerks were growling when we opened it!