Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

revmoo posted:

Just got one of the Brinkman electric smokers as a gift. What do I need to know as someone who has never smoked before?

Add 4-6 hours to how long you think it will take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Faithless posted:

So this is my second attempt at Pastrami. The first batch I made I failed to cook it right at the last step after smoking and although the flavour was there it was pretty tough. So I’ll let you guys know my process and I apologise for my janky formatting. So….

First I bought a large food grade container such as this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00537PH1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then bought some beef brisket. The butchers was terrible and gave me a terrible cut of meat (England) but I thought gently caress it, it'll do (it did).

Next I followed the brine recipe from this location -

http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/06/05/charcuterie-pastrami/

It recommends using pickling spices and since I don’t really have those to hand I used a blend (by blend I mean I coffee grinded them together) of 1/2 cup coriander seeds, 2 Tbs Mustard seed, 5 bay leafs . Shoved those in the brine then left it brining for 2 weeks in my fridge, turning the meat over every other day (not religiously though).

After 2 weeks I pulled it from the brine, emptied the brine down the sync and filled the container up with water. Then I soaked it for 6 hours, changing the water every 2 hours. You could do this for longer if you wish or just leave it overnight.

After it had soaked, I let the meat dry uncovered in the fridge overnight before adding a rub of that was...

1 cup coarse black pepper (gotta be course ground butchers grade stuff)
1/2 cup crushed juniper berries
few tablespoons each of garlic power/paprika/thyme/coriander (rough estimates.)

And after oiling the meat a little I covered it in the rub and left it another 2 days in the fridge. Mostly to firm up and accept the rub a little more.

Then I smoked it at 200-225 for 12 hours (using mesquite because I was out of cherry), but ended up finishing it in the oven as it was taking forever, mostly due to my inexperience at maintaining a temp with my Brinkmann smoker. When I got it out of the oven I thought I’d totally hosed everything up as it was pretty tough, but after leaving it in the fridge overnight then boiling it for 3 hours it was exactly what I was looking for. Very close to falling to pieces, perfect colour and flavour though. Worth the wait.

Bonus shots of my poo poo smoker and some old pulled pork I was making.

Who thought this was a good idea?

It doesnt even work right.

Thanks for this! How noticeable are the juniper berries? I'm really not a fan of them, but if that's a traditional part of the pastrami rub, then I've never noticed them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I used to have that exact smoker, and yes the thermometer was utterly useless. The "Ideal" part is a range of like 200f...I pretty much just used it as a general guide and winged it. It also used to take me like 12+ hours(maybe like 15? I don't remember) to smoke a turkey in that thing, so winging it may not have been the best practice.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Faithless posted:

Add 4-6 hours to how long you think it will take.

Seriously this. Nothing is worse than people complaining that they're hungry while the meat isn't done yet. So you give in and take it off early, and they say that "they've had better" or "it was alright, totally not worth the time though" because it's not all the way done.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I grabbed a 4.4lb pork shoulder, how long should that take in the electric smoker? I'm thinking 7hrs?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is it bone in or boneless? normal assumption is 2h/lb I believe, but I wouldn't normally bother smoking such a small amount of meat.

Assume 8, pull it at 200* and wrap in foil, a few towels and throw it into a cooler until guests arrive.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

Thanks for this! How noticeable are the juniper berries? I'm really not a fan of them, but if that's a traditional part of the pastrami rub, then I've never noticed them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I used to have that exact smoker, and yes the thermometer was utterly useless. The "Ideal" part is a range of like 200f...I pretty much just used it as a general guide and winged it. It also used to take me like 12+ hours(maybe like 15? I don't remember) to smoke a turkey in that thing, so winging it may not have been the best practice.

I'd upgrade my smoker but the next one up is so drat expensive for something I use rarely. I would recommend googling 'Brinkmann smoker mods', there's quite a few people that have done tutorials on how to fix (with a little DIY) your smoker to be much better. I am going to get around to fixing it some day when I've borrowed some power tools.

As the the juniper berries they add a distinct pepper taste that I don't think you would be able to get without them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BraveUlysses posted:

is it bone in or boneless? normal assumption is 2h/lb I believe, but I wouldn't normally bother smoking such a small amount of meat.

Assume 8, pull it at 200* and wrap in foil, a few towels and throw it into a cooler until guests arrive.

It took about 7 to hit 180 and that was around 11pm so I went ahead and took it off. There were a couple less tender bits in the center I tossed but 90% of it was cooked to absolute perfection. I'm hooked :)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Broke in my Masterbuilt 30" last weekend with ribs. Aside from taking forever (7 hours for 4lbs) to hit 165, it went well. Last night I decided that cheese would be a very simple quick smoke. Even with the water tray full of ice it kept flaring up to 130 degrees, but the cheese held together. I've discovered that mesquite colby jack just isn't something I'm a fan of though. Next time I think I'll try cherry, even though I know fruity woods are generally milder in cheese.

Tomorrow it's a few pounds of jerky. Sunday I'm going to try smoking salmon. Glad I found this thread.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How did you test the ribs to hit that temp?

Why not use bend test?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

It took about 7 to hit 180 and that was around 11pm so I went ahead and took it off. There were a couple less tender bits in the center I tossed but 90% of it was cooked to absolute perfection. I'm hooked :)

Definitely try to get to 200* if you can next time, but it can be hard to do that with a smaller roast without drying out the surface area.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mortanis posted:

Broke in my Masterbuilt 30" last weekend with ribs. Aside from taking forever (7 hours for 4lbs) to hit 165, it went well. Last night I decided that cheese would be a very simple quick smoke. Even with the water tray full of ice it kept flaring up to 130 degrees, but the cheese held together. I've discovered that mesquite colby jack just isn't something I'm a fan of though. Next time I think I'll try cherry, even though I know fruity woods are generally milder in cheese.

Tomorrow it's a few pounds of jerky. Sunday I'm going to try smoking salmon. Glad I found this thread.

I have a Masterbuilt 40" electric. With jerky & salmon watch it closely. I have ruined 2 batches of jerky and half a batch of salmon because I didn't watch it close enough when it got close to being done. I think next time I will cut the jerky thicker as I like it to be thicker and meatier anyways.

The salmon that got ruined and the first batch of jerky was because I pulled the thinner pieces out when they were done and left the thicker stuff on for a bit. That extra bit was a little too long and I basically had beef & salmon charcoal. Luckily the thinner stuff I pulled off (about half of each) was delicious.

Tomorrow I am making 9 racks of ribs and a whole chicken for a gathering.

Edit: pictures.

Rack of ribs & slightly too dry Jerky. Ribs broke when picking up, I wasn't even trying to bend test them yet. :)

Couple of pork butts that made a lot of pulled pork. I freezer bag it in 6-10oz portions so I can pull a bag out and warm it for tacos or whatever.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

sellouts posted:

How did you test the ribs to hit that temp?

Why not use bend test?

Two different meat thermometers - yeah, I know you can't really go by temp, but they were still pink after the first five and a half hours. I foiled them and tossed them back in. I'd cut them into two smaller sections so I wasn't sure the bend test would work - looking again I guess it should work even with them half the size though.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Faithless posted:

I'd upgrade my smoker but the next one up is so drat expensive for something I use rarely. I would recommend googling 'Brinkmann smoker mods', there's quite a few people that have done tutorials on how to fix (with a little DIY) your smoker to be much better. I am going to get around to fixing it some day when I've borrowed some power tools.

As the the juniper berries they add a distinct pepper taste that I don't think you would be able to get without them.

My mom somehow managed to run my old brinkmann over with her car many years ago, and then I got another one which rusted apart in like a year, so I have long since moved on to bigger and better (or at least differently cheap) things.

They were pretty much the cheapest things around, and even for having basically no idea what I was doing, I managed to make some drat good meat on them...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

My wife bought me a present of a brisket from a local butcher, turned out to be yet another rolled up English bastard. Weighing in at 1 Kg (2 lb).

I unrolled it, and unbastardised what I could of the flat (missing a large chunk of fat cap) and seasoned it overnight with some oil, SPG and smoked paprika.

The BBQ is out of action so this is in the oven and I'll be using smokey sauce to fake the wood smoke.

e: the smell coming from the oven of beef and smoked paprika is great!

e2: 3 hours in, and it's wrapped in butcher paper and at 74c (165f). Reckon it's have a late stall though, temp not moving much.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 2, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Round two; FIGHT!

Gotta slab of pork ribs. How should I cook them in the electric smoker?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Liquid smoke is not even a good substitute for wood smoke, it just tastes manufactured. If I wasn't using the smoker I would just bypass it entirely.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 2, 2014

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

revmoo posted:

Round two; FIGHT!

Gotta slab of pork ribs. How should I cook them in the electric smoker?

I am doing 9 racks of ribs in my MB 40" Electric right now. I put my Memphis Dust based rub on them last night and let it sit in the fridge over night.

I just put them in the smoker a little bit ago and will let them go at 250 for about 7 hours. I am using half Apple and half Hickory wood. I also took a large mason jar and filled it half way with water and ice then topped it off with Apple Juice. That went into the water pan.

The ice will help slow down the temp rise at first so more smoke gets into the meat.
I mainly did this because I also have a whole chicken in there for the guest who are retarded and wont eat the ribs. The chicken seems to get a better, deeper smoke flavor this way.

Chicken will come out early and I will warm it back up on the grill to crisp the skin a little also.
Now to wait for 7 hours...

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

DONE!

5 hours for a tiny brisket but it was all good. Tasted awesome for an oven cook. Wife was impressed.

Next time I'll do it in the barrel BBQ with just oak for fuel.

McSpankWich posted:

Liquid smoke is not even a good substitute for wood smoke, it just tastes manufactured. If I wasn't using the smoker I would just bypass it entirely.

I just used smokey BBQ sauce as a dip, luckily!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Finally got around to ordering the steel door for my WSM. That aluminum thing was garbage.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazyeyes posted:

Finally got around to ordering the steel door for my WSM. That aluminum thing was garbage.

It really is. My WSM now runs really hot thanks to the door and I can use less fuel per hour.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
So as I posted earlier I made 9 racks of ribs and a whole chicken (sorry didn't take after pics) for 8 people yesterday. Well 4 people canceled about a half hour before they were supposed to show up. And the chicken was for my wife, and any others, who won't eat the ribs. So we ended up having 9 racks of ribs for 3 people. We ate a little over 2 racks and I sent each of the guys home with 2 racks each.

So I will be eating ribs for this whole week. Good thing I like them> :) I'm also taking a rack to a friend at work tomorrow though.

For anyone with an electric smoker, mine is a 40" masterbuilt, what do you do for cleaning? I take out the racks and water pan and clean them in the sink but my sink is a little small and I know that putting all the grease and stuff down the drain isn't good.

I was thinking about getting a big storage tub or something that they can fit in and fill it with soapy water to soak for a day and then scrub outside but then there is still the problem of disposing of the soapy greasy water.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 3, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Clean? I just hit them with s grill brush the next time i heat up the cooker (after it's up to temp) and then wipe the grates with a paper towel dipped in a bit of veg oil.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Anybody have a good recipe for cold smoked flounder? I have like two pounds of flounder filets, and I want to do something with at least part of that while I'm smoking some cheddar- probably thursday or friday night this week.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Oh man I'm hooked. I've ran the smoker three out of the last four days since I got it. Just threw on some nice thick steaks I'm gonna smoke em for three hours and then toss them on the cast-iron for a reverse-sear. If I had any idea how foolproof smoking was I would have bought a smoker a long time ago. So many BBQ snobs make it seem like you need a Phd to get good results.

So is it possible to do smoked cheese with an electric smoker?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're smoking steaks? Why?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Trastion posted:

So as I posted earlier I made 9 racks of ribs and a whole chicken (sorry didn't take after pics) for 8 people yesterday. Well 4 people canceled about a half hour before they were supposed to show up. And the chicken was for my wife, and any others, who won't eat the ribs. So we ended up having 9 racks of ribs for 3 people. We ate a little over 2 racks and I sent each of the guys home with 2 racks each.

So I will be eating ribs for this whole week. Good thing I like them> :) I'm also taking a rack to a friend at work tomorrow though.
How do you reheat them?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

sellouts posted:

You're smoking steaks? Why?

Why not? They were delicious.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
If you are looking to get smoke flavor into your steaks, you can get that by grilling them on a charcoal grill and throwing some wood chunks on the fire. Steaks are lean, for the most part, so the whole low and slow thing doesn't really benefit them any. But, hey, if you liked them, that's all that matters. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I cooked up some pretty fatty bone-in steaks. Not sure what they were but they were good.

I fail at charcoal every single time, I've given up on it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Anne Whateley posted:

How do you reheat them?

If I have time I will put them on the grill for a little bit, watching them constantly. If I don't have time I just microwave them.

BraveUlysses posted:

Clean? I just hit them with s grill brush the next time i heat up the cooker (after it's up to temp) and then wipe the grates with a paper towel dipped in a bit of veg oil.

Yeah I do the same if I know I will be using it again within a couple weeks but I am going on vacation and probably won't use it again for a month or more so i wanted to at least clean the grates and the water pan. The water pan is the worst part because it becomes a grease pan. I have tried using foil to make cleaning it easier but it doesn't help much.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Anne Whateley posted:

How do you reheat them?

The best way to store an reheat BBQ is with a Food Saver. Put the bag of meat in boiling water for about 15 minutes and it reheats it without drying it out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PhotoKirk posted:

The best way to store an reheat BBQ is with a Food Saver. Put the bag of meat in boiling water for about 15 minutes and it reheats it without drying it out.

I need to test this out. I've discovered I absolutely despise reheated pulled-pork. Would it work with a ziploc? My foodsaver has a busted gasket.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What I've done so far (I want to say it was recommended by the amazing ribs guy) is: take a paper towel, get it wet, squeeze out almost all of the water; wrap ribs in it (on a plate); nuke at 50% of microwave power for 10 minutes. It works OK, but I'm still curious about other options.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
BB Ribs and pulled pork are excellent if you have a foodsaver. you can reheat the ribs easily enough by putting them in the oven and the pulled pork will reheat well in the bag if you let it sit in a sous-vide or pot of hot water.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

revmoo posted:

I need to test this out. I've discovered I absolutely despise reheated pulled-pork. Would it work with a ziploc? My foodsaver has a busted gasket.

It should work fine but keep the water temperature down or it will melt the plastic and you;ll have boiled pulled pork with plastic garnish!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Also putting any type of bbq into the oven or smoker at ~230 in a covered chafing dish (or anything covered) and bringing it back up to temp slowly will result is practically the same taste as if it had just come off the smoker

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Every time I put pulled pork into the oven it dries out. I guess I need to try putting it in a covered dish.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

revmoo posted:

Every time I put pulled pork into the oven it dries out. I guess I need to try putting it in a covered dish.

One thing you can do along with covering it is add some liquid. For pulled pork I like to add some apple juice and some of the rub I used for that pulled pork. Just plain water in place of the juice works just fine as well. When you store the leftovers, get as much air out of the bag as possible, that is the main reason people are recommending a food saver. I have no idea on reheating ribs because we never have any left over!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zaepho posted:

It should work fine but keep the water temperature down or it will melt the plastic and you;ll have boiled pulled pork with plastic garnish!

I wouldn't trust a ziploc or other regular bag. The foodsaver type bags are made to reheat stuff in boiling water and stay food-safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Apparently foodsaver gaskets are like four bucks I'll just fix mine.