Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HughGRect posted:

I knew I would miss a few of the bromancers like you, Frankie, Dorito, Corzen, Cheston, Zepho, and Drinkfist. I'm sure there are others I heart them too.

Now I'm hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Hugh doesn't love me.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
My favourite memory of the game is still a whole bunch of goons being the first to summon that oneboss and when he spawns, everyone gets kick out in frustration but not before we end up finding a hole in the floor and everyone ends up dropping down killing the boss with unnerfed Crimson Theatres.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
My buddy and I are just getting into this game after a two year hiatus. Any mod recommendations floating around or general tips for someone returning to the game?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
what the hell gatekeeper, why are you hitting me with too slow

I went to fight the gatekeeper (DPS) yesterday, easily handled stage 1, but forgot that I needed purging abilities to beat stage 2. I tried to cheese it with wanted and the early elemental passive that gives a chance to purge on chain attacks, but wasn't purging reliably enough and didn't have the patience to just keep rolling the dice until I got it.

so I went and quested for awhile, banking my AP into elementalism until I had more purge abilities.

today I go back to the gatekeeper, made only the most minor alterations to my build to accommodate purge abilities, and he keeps hitting me with too slow. what the gently caress. why. I'm doing everything the same.

CaptainZalo
Apr 14, 2011

Don't forget to wipe!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

what the hell gatekeeper, why are you hitting me with too slow

I went to fight the gatekeeper (DPS) yesterday, easily handled stage 1, but forgot that I needed purging abilities to beat stage 2. I tried to cheese it with wanted and the early elemental passive that gives a chance to purge on chain attacks, but wasn't purging reliably enough and didn't have the patience to just keep rolling the dice until I got it.

so I went and quested for awhile, banking my AP into elementalism until I had more purge abilities.

today I go back to the gatekeeper, made only the most minor alterations to my build to accommodate purge abilities, and he keeps hitting me with too slow. what the gently caress. why. I'm doing everything the same.

I ended up just going "gently caress you, Gatekeeper. I'll heal my way out of this".

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Allright work isn't going crazy so I can plan stuff.

Who wants to get Motors his final elite dungeon and then watch as he suffers through gatekeeper and possibly a nightmare run? Was figuring we run it on Sunday. What time works for everyone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Allright work isn't going crazy so I can plan stuff.

Who wants to get Motors his final elite dungeon and then watch as he suffers through gatekeeper and possibly a nightmare run? Was figuring we run it on Sunday. What time works for everyone?

My Sunday should be completely open. Just tell me when.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey, I'm ingame as Rockwill - tried saying hi in #awful but it seemed dead. Got this during the summer sale and it's really hooked me so far (I'm not that far in the game though, I keep exploring Kingsmouth and repeating easy fun quests).

How long does Polaris take to run?

Also is there some hint to Dawning of an Endless Night T7 that I'm missing?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

How long does Polaris take to run?

Also is there some hint to Dawning of an Endless Night T7 that I'm missing?

I think I power ran a couple baby goons through Polaris in less than 10 minutes awhile back. A legit and level appropriate group without any knowledge of the content could take 30-45 minutes.

Tier 6 wants you to activate the sirens song and follow the pretty lights while enjoying the classy tunes. Tier 7 wants you to look around the location the song brings you too. I think that there is an object on the table that doesn't have the typical yellow highlight that leads you to the airport for Tier 8.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thanks. I got through T6 fine (almost...drat motion sensors), checked the room out, then got back to the road and went on vacation for four days. Must have forgotten the clue.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Allright lets run some Elites/Nightmares on Sunday at 3pm PST? If that time doesn't work out just tell me and we can re-schedule. The people who are going to show up on sunday have pretty flexible schedules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Man this loving looks familiar:
http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/3138-The-Secret-World-Now-Buy-to-Play!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Yeah, several groups ripped off the old OP and put it on their sites. I think I remember seeing it word for word all over the place when the game first launched.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
What's a good solo AR build? Also, how do you get a weapon that does more damage?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What's a good solo AR build? Also, how do you get a weapon that does more damage?

I can't remember if we've had this chat with you, but are you using a second weapon? Because you need to be. Your builders build resources for both equipped weapons, so not having at least a consumer for a second weapon means leaving damage on the table.

Builds we recommend are going to vary based on your second weapon. Historically, Shotgun, Pistol, Ele, and maybe Blood have all gone well with AR. Safety Off is generally the linchpin of successful AR builds.

Complicating this question: the good passives are all over the various trees. We can suggest stuff to work toward but you're just going to have suboptimal stuff for a bit. No big deal.

As for better weapons, you can get them in four main ways:

1. Quest rewards. These should mostly keep you current for the zone.

2. Dungeons. These typically reward the best available gear for the zone.

3. Crafting. This is a last resort but if you just cannot seem to fill a slot with drops you can make whatever you're missing. It won't be great, but at least it will be the right QL.

4. I never did this, but there's always the auction house in London.

For Solomon Island only, you have an alternative. (It's available in all zones, but only really worth it in Solomon Island. Take those useless Tokens of Solomon Island to the Wabanaki trailer park in Blue Mountain and buy yourself some QL6 blue weapons. (Make sure you pump that stat enough to equip them.) they will be much better than anything else available at that time. You can probably do this around the time you hit Savage Coast. I think. It's been a while. I think it's... 60 tokens for one weapon? 60 for two? Well, it's 60 tokens for something.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

guppy posted:

I can't remember if we've had this chat with you, but are you using a second weapon? Because you need to be. Your builders build resources for both equipped weapons, so not having at least a consumer for a second weapon means leaving damage on the table.

Builds we recommend are going to vary based on your second weapon. Historically, Shotgun, Pistol, Ele, and maybe Blood have all gone well with AR. Safety Off is generally the linchpin of successful AR builds.

Complicating this question: the good passives are all over the various trees. We can suggest stuff to work toward but you're just going to have suboptimal stuff for a bit. No big deal.

As for better weapons, you can get them in four main ways:

1. Quest rewards. These should mostly keep you current for the zone.

2. Dungeons. These typically reward the best available gear for the zone.

3. Crafting. This is a last resort but if you just cannot seem to fill a slot with drops you can make whatever you're missing. It won't be great, but at least it will be the right QL.

4. I never did this, but there's always the auction house in London.

For Solomon Island only, you have an alternative. (It's available in all zones, but only really worth it in Solomon Island. Take those useless Tokens of Solomon Island to the Wabanaki trailer park in Blue Mountain and buy yourself some QL6 blue weapons. (Make sure you pump that stat enough to equip them.) they will be much better than anything else available at that time. You can probably do this around the time you hit Savage Coast. I think. It's been a while. I think it's... 60 tokens for one weapon? 60 for two? Well, it's 60 tokens for something.

I (foolishly) followed the guide for soldier, but that gives a sucky AR/Pistol build. I've sunk all the points into it, but it's not very good. Do you have specs for a better solo build?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Tokyo update: Bridge still doesn't work. Also, the client crashed while I was standing still looking at it.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I (foolishly) followed the guide for soldier, but that gives a sucky AR/Pistol build. I've sunk all the points into it, but it's not very good. Do you have specs for a better solo build?

All of the built-in decks are awful, so yeah, don't use them.

Here's an AR/Pistol build I got from Zepho way back when. It was the bees' knees at the time but I have no idea if it's any good anymore.

Active
Hip Fire
Fire in the Hole
Shootout
Lock & Load
Suppressing Fire
Deadly Aim
Do or Die

Passive
Closer
Lethality
Twist the Knife
Brawler
Iron Maiden
Elemental Force
Seal the Deal

Offhand, looking at it, the following jump out at me:

1. Can't remember why Hip Fire instead of Safety Off; I think Safety Off relied on some other passives. Don't remember why no Three Round Burst.

2. Deadly Aim and Do or Die could be swapped out if you want. I usually run Slow the Advance as my elite when soloing as it's both a nice nuke to start a fight and a Hinder so things can't reach you while you murder them.

3. Iron Maiden relies on Afflict because this was a dungeoning build. I think Overpenetration might not have that issue?

4. I think Ele Force was nerfed (or, well, fixed). It may be undesirable now and I don't know whether Seal the Deal is still ideal given the changes.

Zepho or Hugh, among others, can probably clarify these things.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

1. Can't remember why Hip Fire instead of Safety Off; I think Safety Off relied on some other passives. Don't remember why no Three Round Burst.

I've seen people recommending Hip Fire because it's instant-cast, whereas Safety Off has a one-second cast time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah but there's the same time between shots because of the global cooldown. It doesn't matter for dungeoning. I think it might have been something to do with stacking your deck with Bursts and then buffing bursts. There are other differences too -- Hip Fire doesn't slow your movement (good), Hip Fire has shorter range (bad) -- but those aren't the reasons why here.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
That build was based on the setting Fire in the Hole to go off during an Ele Force-ed Shootout, which I think doesn't really work anymore. Hip fire was there because it was less likely to kill me with Southern Hemisphere ping :shobon:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I used this site to read about various builds and useful skills http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/.

HughGRect posted a great build which doesn't require you to put alot of effort for very decent numbers for soloing. I used this for awhile and from using tswdb.com to read about skills to add my own twist on his build to go sword/chaos. I highly recommend this as a jumping off point since you can stick in martial defense and turn the tables for alot of survivability. Warning his build is based on focus attacks, you can make another spec for dungeons that gets way higher numbers. That is what is really fun in the game you are not truly locked to what you choose.

HughGRect posted:

I made a magical snow flake build that I was running when doing solo content that was about as lazy as poo poo and let me hit 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 over and over. It strayed away from the builder/consumer mind set a little, but I had a ton of success with it. Others mileage will most likely vary. Anyways, here is an adaption of my build that a non ql-10.5.5 without a Karma Curio can use.

Blade / Fist Focus Build
ACTIVES - The Bread
Chop Shop - AoE mob cutter-downer
Dancing Blade - Solo mob cutter-downer
Berserk - Resource Dump for secondary weapon
Surgical Steel - Self heal to avoid repair bills while leashing mobs
Cauterise - Super self heal to use while leashing mobs
Blade Torrent - Builds a resource if you lose your focus attack.
Elite - Master's House

PASSIVES - The Butter
Finish the Movement - Makes the build work, when you finish channeling a focus ability you gain a resource for your primary (the one that is out) weapon.
Vital Fluids - 10% chance to gain a resource when you apply an afflict.
Invasive Measures - 10% chance to gain a resource when you hit a weakened target.
Blood Sport - Constant afflict that is always being reapplied to synergise with Vital Fluid.
Breakdown - Applies weakened (exposed) to synergise with Invasive Measures.
Ready for More - Self Cleanse when you finish channeling a focus, good for Transylvania status effects.
Elite Seal the Deal - More damage; but this is also a flex passive.

Here was my original theory: If I spin with Chop Shop for 2.5 seconds getting 5 chances for each proc against each mob, I should be able to get at 1 more resource for the next spin. What really happened was I was getting 3-5 resources against 2-3 mobs and melting everything. I had a lot of success with this build in solo and duo scenarios as well. This build can be very flexible while the core remaining the same.

I haven't tested this build in Tokyo yet, but it should be able to handle that content with some minor changes as well.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

guppy posted:

Here's an AR/Pistol build I got from Zepho way back when. It was the bees' knees at the time but I have no idea if it's any good anymore.

Active
Hip Fire
Fire in the Hole
Shootout
Lock & Load
Suppressing Fire
Deadly Aim
Do or Die

Passive
Closer
Lethality
Twist the Knife
Brawler
Iron Maiden
Elemental Force
Seal the Deal

Offhand, looking at it, the following jump out at me:

2. Deadly Aim and Do or Die could be swapped out if you want. I usually run Slow the Advance as my elite when soloing as it's both a nice nuke to start a fight and a Hinder so things can't reach you while you murder them.

3. Iron Maiden relies on Afflict because this was a dungeoning build. I think Overpenetration might not have that issue?

4. I think Ele Force was nerfed (or, well, fixed). It may be undesirable now and I don't know whether Seal the Deal is still ideal given the changes.

5. Toss Closer and Brawler, replace them with Straight Shooter and Sudden Return (assuming there's a decent amount of penetration).

6. Then replace Hip Fire with The Business and FitH with 3RB and it's golden.

That's more or less what I use for ranged build and it works great. Lock and Load can be replaced with whatever you need at the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You know who sucks? Adramelech, the Chancellor of Hell; that's who. I've spent hours upon hours killing his stand-in every fifteen minutes and he refuses to show up so I can move on to hunting rares in Transylvania. :argh:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

prefect posted:

You know who sucks? Adramelech, the Chancellor of Hell; that's who. I've spent hours upon hours killing his stand-in every fifteen minutes and he refuses to show up so I can move on to hunting rares in Transylvania. :argh:

True story, I was the first to find and report his existence back in beta. Same with the prototype in CF.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Killsion posted:

True story, I was the first to find and report his existence back in beta. Same with the prototype in CF.

Remember when we were the first to find the golem in blue mountain during the first anniversary event, and we thought it had 1.5 million hit points instead of 15 million. Those were good times.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I am coming back to this dumb game after like a year and find myself stuck in Savage Coast at QL 4, with completed Champion and Maverick decks for some reason, and working towards Paladin. And now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here, since Mothmen kick the poo poo out of me. :(

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a solid guide to DPS gearing for noobs? I'm running around with QL10 greens, but its all random as I have no idea what I should be gearing. I find that most of the story content is fine, but I cant tackle some of the purchasable mission content, like Last Train.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Moreau posted:

Is there a solid guide to DPS gearing for noobs? I'm running around with QL10 greens, but its all random as I have no idea what I should be gearing. I find that most of the story content is fine, but I cant tackle some of the purchasable mission content, like Last Train.

This might be a build or a tactics thing instead of a gear thing. I remember some mission in that quest chain where you were supposed to plant explosives to kill a group and some of us didn't notice and tried to kill them with small arms instead, which was very hard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

guppy posted:

This might be a build or a tactics thing instead of a gear thing. I remember some mission in that quest chain where you were supposed to plant explosives to kill a group and some of us didn't notice and tried to kill them with small arms instead, which was very hard.

This also happened to me. You can kill some of those guys without the mines, but it's awfully hard. A couple of times, my mine only took out part of the group, and that was no fun.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Moreau posted:

Are you asking purely from soloing perspective? Because that's not only about the DPS you put out. Personally I find that heal-over-time passives combined with Empowerment (triggers a bigger heal on HoT criticals) elite passive work very well for that. And you can use them with pretty much any weapons.

Regarding HoTs you have:
Immortal Spirit (HoT on penetrate)
Circulation (HoT when applying afflicted, combine with a passive that afflicts on every hit like Bloodsport)
Advantage Me (HoT on critical)

Couple pieces of heal rating gear is enough with rest as attack rating. Maybe toss one health talisman on if that's an issue.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Fewd posted:

Are you asking purely from soloing perspective? Because that's not only about the DPS you put out. Personally I find that heal-over-time passives combined with Empowerment (triggers a bigger heal on HoT criticals) elite passive work very well for that. And you can use them with pretty much any weapons.

Regarding HoTs you have:
Immortal Spirit (HoT on penetrate)
Circulation (HoT when applying afflicted, combine with a passive that afflicts on every hit like Bloodsport)
Advantage Me (HoT on critical)

Couple pieces of heal rating gear is enough with rest as attack rating. Maybe toss one health talisman on if that's an issue.

I'm going to disagree strenuously with this. In nearly every case, I think you are better off piling on the DPS and taking less damage by making the fight shorter.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Killing something a few seconds slower is a small price to pay for being unkillable. And you can skip eating and waiting for tacos when you end every fight with full health.

Although, I will say that I didn't bother with HoTs either until recently when I got to Tokyo where I simply couldn't outlast some named monsters. So piling up DPS is one option. I still prefer having healing passives since it cuts out all downtime, so that's what I'll recommend.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

guppy posted:

Ha, yes - that one did take me quite awhile, and no I didn't realise till too late that I could have used the mines.

Fewd posted:

Killing something a few seconds slower is a small price to pay for being unkillable. And you can skip eating and waiting for tacos when you end every fight with full health.

Although, I will say that I didn't bother with HoTs either until recently when I got to Tokyo where I simply couldn't outlast some named monsters. So piling up DPS is one option. I still prefer having healing passives since it cuts out all downtime, so that's what I'll recommend.

It certainly feels like whilst I can handle most content, there are just some encounters I cant outlast. I note that I'm glancing a lot, and I feel like I could use more healing - but my feeling is that my build is okay, its my gear that I need to work on. Or rather, I kind of understand my build, but I'm clueless when it comes to gear.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Lexicorum

Actives:
Scattershot
Out for a Kill
Stopping Power
Shotgun Wedding
Bloodshot
Guts and Gory
Breaching Shot

Passives:
Gross Anatomy
Bloodsport
Fortunate Strike
Iron Maiden
Elemental Force
Arterial Pulse
Advantage Me

At the moment, I'm thinking that just working on getting the materials together to craft a whole set of QL10 Blues would be my best option.

Essentially, I don't want to progress to Elites until I feel more solid about my gear.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Killsion posted:

I was the first person ever to successfully assemble all three region bosses and kill them. :dong:

Now I play Swordsman Online and miss my duelies and shotguns.

Why isn't this game and thread dead yet?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
I made it through Last Train in mostly QL10 greens not too long ago, though not without quite a few deaths, so maybe I can be of some help.

Moreau posted:

I note that I'm glancing a lot, and I feel like I could use more healing - but my feeling is that my build is okay, its my gear that I need to work on.
It's a sane, solid build: a builder, consumers for each resource and passives that play well with your actives and each other, but you can make it better. Arterial Pulse and Fortunate Strike just don't do that much damage. Consider replacing one of them with Corrupted Blood and switching to Boiling Blood as your builder. I think that applying two afflictions with one attack will trigger Gross Anatomy twice, in which case it's a substantial damage boost. You could replace the other passive with Twist the Knife (an early outer ring Blade passive) for an increase in damage, Sharp Shooter (early outer ring AR) to get rid of some of those glances or 12 Gauge to apply Debilitated. In an extended fight against a single enemy, Debilitated is amazing for survivability. It's effectively a 40% boost to your hit points and all healing you receive.

If it's boss fights and single enemies that are giving you problems, you can drop Shotgun Wedding for Cardiac Arrest to pick up an Impair. It's a great feeling to just cancel an enemy's nastiest attack halfway through, and there's one fight later on in the issues that I never would have managed without having three ways to Impair (swapping one of your multi-target consumers for Left Hand of Darkness would give you another if you really need it). If it's fights with multiple enemies that are the hardest, I think I know that one fight that's giving you the most trouble.

Two things might help with that fight. Some enemies have attacks that don't put white circles or cones on the ground but can still be dodged or impaired. Also, don't be afraid to change your deck for just one difficult fight and change it back afterwards. In particular, many-wave fights are the one type of fight where healing passives like Circulation make sense.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Moreau posted:

Essentially, I don't want to progress to Elites until I feel more solid about my gear.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, greens are fine for elites as that's where you're supposed to get the bulk of your blues. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if most elite groups these days have at least one or two nightmare geared guys to help.

You'll eventually want to start building hit towards 650ish, but if you're having trouble on the way then there's some passives that can help.

Accuracy (AR, +5% damage and 50 hit rating)
Call Your Shots (AR, adds up to a whopping 175 hit as long as you don't glance)
Fever Pitch (Chaos, chance to reduce glances by a lot for a few secs)

I may be remembering wrong but I think the Egypt ca d'oro DPS head signet was the one that also adds stacks of hit rating. Something to consider if you got extra ca d'oro moneys.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moreau posted:

At the moment, I'm thinking that just working on getting the materials together to craft a whole set of QL10 Blues would be my best option.

How much HP do you typically run around with? I wouldn't personally mess with having a million tiny HoTs, but nothing changes how frail you feel as much as adjusting your HP. I've got some buddies that run around with 3-3.5k HP in full purple gear, which may make you have a big damage e-peen, but also means you die as easily and quickly as someone in greens.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
1970 HP is glass cannon, 3500 is quite enough HP for almost everything unless your build is really weird.

I agree that a million tiny DoTs isn't the solution to feeling fragile though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

How much HP do you typically run around with? I wouldn't personally mess with having a million tiny HoTs

The point isn't the million tiny HoTs. The point is that they trigger Empowerment. Although the HoTs add up to quite a bit with those couple heal ratings too. It's quite survivable even without any health tallys.

• Locked thread