Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Hadlock posted:

I'm curious to see hyper-v expanded this time around

Yeah at the very least include the fact that windows 8 pro has client hyperv built in so you can run vms for fun without shelling out for VMware workstation even though it's probably more polished

For the 3 people on windows 8 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah at the very least include the fact that windows 8 pro has client hyperv built in so you can run vms for fun without shelling out for VMware workstation even though it's probably more polished

For the 3 people on windows 8 :(

Microsoft was smart with their availability and licensing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Look I learned a lot since the last op posted. I am including openstack, citrix, hyperV, and welp dunno about docker n poo poo to post about it.

I'm not implying anything, so you can stop being defensive, just thought I'd bring it up since "new VMware product -> new OP" reads a certain way.

Docker is essentially App-V or Application WPARs for Linux. They're containers designed for running apps, not full virtualization.

We talked about it in this thread maybe 8 pages ago if you want lots of elaboration.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Hadlock posted:

I'm curious to see hyper-v expanded this time around

I'd love to see it actually work this time around

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
is ovirt server with the vcenter like guest improved in centos7 over 6.5?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

is ovirt server with the vcenter like guest improved in centos7 over 6.5?

Hosted engine is a feature of oVirt itself. It's much better in 3.5.

The CentOS release cycle doesn't really matter for most of our feature work, though pacemaker is definitely improved in 7.

If you don't have specific problems with hosted engine on EL6/3.5 hosts, EL7/3.5 will probably not be an improvement (as always, 7.1 will be a lot nicer than 7.0).

If you do have specific problems, I'd encourage you to file a bug. There's a separate bugzilla component (ovirt-hosted-engine-ha) to file against

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Hosted engine is a feature of oVirt itself. It's much better in 3.5.

The CentOS release cycle doesn't really matter for most of our feature work, though pacemaker is definitely improved in 7.

If you don't have specific problems with hosted engine on EL6/3.5 hosts, EL7/3.5 will probably not be an improvement (as always, 7.1 will be a lot nicer than 7.0).

If you do have specific problems, I'd encourage you to file a bug. There's a separate bugzilla component (ovirt-hosted-engine-ha) to file against

I had a problem with the hosts randomly disconnecting from the management server. It was just in a for fun test lab, so I didn't bother reporting any bugs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

I had a problem with the hosts randomly disconnecting from the management server. It was just in a for fun test lab, so I didn't bother reporting any bugs.

Components on EL6 or the actual Node images?

Management server hosted on oVirt or a different VM (VMware, physical hardware, whatever)?

They shouldn't randomly disconnect. I haven't seen any instability, but I mostly work on Node and various associated images (Foreman discovery, Triple O, Gluster) and RHEL guest images for openstack and ec2. If you can reproduce it, please file bugs (disconnects should probably be filed against vdsm)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Management server hosted on oVirt or a different VM (VMware, physical hardware, whatever)?

They shouldn't randomly disconnect. I haven't seen any instability, but I mostly work on Node and various associated images (Foreman discovery, Triple O, Gluster) and RHEL guest images for openstack and ec2. If you can reproduce it, please file bugs (disconnects should probably be filed against vdsm)
I will see if I can reproduce. Basically I took a spare PC with 8GB of RAM, installed Centos 6.5, and followed the hosted engine instructions. I could connect to my management server which was running as a guest over the network, but the management server would randomly report the host server was disconnected. It was frequent enough to basically be unusable.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

I will see if I can reproduce. Basically I took a spare PC with 8GB of RAM, installed Centos 6.5, and followed the hosted engine instructions. I could connect to my management server which was running as a guest over the network, but the management server would randomly report the host server was disconnected. It was frequent enough to basically be unusable.

That's almost certainly vdsm. Not my area, but please file if you have the time and energy to reproduce.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

esxi 5.5 question,

I'm trying to improve memory consolidation on one of our dev servers and I've set Mem.AllocGuestLargePage=0 , but haven't seen any change in host memory usage.

Is it enough to restart all the guest OSes or do I need to shut them down all at once? Or is a host reboot needed?

It's a standalone host so vmotioning them off then back isn't an option.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

jre posted:

esxi 5.5 question,

I'm trying to improve memory consolidation on one of our dev servers and I've set Mem.AllocGuestLargePage=0 , but haven't seen any change in host memory usage.

Is it enough to restart all the guest OSes or do I need to shut them down all at once? Or is a host reboot needed?

It's a standalone host so vmotioning them off then back isn't an option.

You just need to power cycle the VM. It doesn't need to be all at once, but you need to actually power off the VM fully. A reboot of the guest won't work.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

three posted:

You can still logoff thin clients with shift+logoff without C+A+D.
Could you elaborate a bit on how this works please? We are switching from Debian based thin clients to windows embedded, so up to now I have never had an issue with this. I just killed all the options in the CAD screen on the thin client and then tried logging out of the VDI using shift, but it still auto-connected the generic user on the VDI. is this TC specific or should shift + logoff work on every TC?

ETA - we are using the new Horizon View client on local machines, but the ESX is still 4.6 (I believe).

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 1, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Sham I Am posted:

Could you elaborate a bit on how this works please? We are switching from Debian based thin clients to windows embedded, so up to now I have never had an issue with this. I just killed all the options in the CAD screen on the thin client and then tried logging out of the VDI using shift, but it still auto-connected the generic user on the VDI. is this TC specific or should shift + logoff work on every TC?

ETA - we are using the new Horizon View client on local machines, but the ESX is still 4.6 (I believe).

When logging off, hold down shift until the login appears. More details: https://p2vsystems.zendesk.com/entries/21065941-How-to-change-HP-Thin-Client-Background

I wasn't clear in my previous post that you have to hold it down, sorry.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DevNull posted:

You just need to power cycle the VM. It doesn't need to be all at once, but you need to actually power off the VM fully. A reboot of the guest won't work.

Thanks, I'd read some article on it that talked about "rebooting" but wasn't sure if that referred to guest power cycle or guest reboot.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there a super common quad port NIC that everyone looks for on eBay? Or am I stuck looking up each and every models chip and comparing to the HCL?

edit: for vSphere 5.5

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thebigcow posted:

Is there a super common quad port NIC that everyone looks for on eBay? Or am I stuck looking up each and every models chip and comparing to the HCL?

I used to run a lot of these at my old place before upgrading to 10GbE.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106049

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I must have become some kind of loving retard since my move to Linux as a primary desktop.

I'm using Windows 7 as the host machine and an Arch Linux build for the Guest using Virtualbox. When I switch to seamless mode the Linux stuff seemingly gets tucked behind the Windows session. Any programs I have open are visible, just the Linux guest session wallpaper is in an inch wide border around the program. The taskbar from the guest session is also hidden unless I use that inch wide border to hover over it, I can't interact with the taskbar at all. It's a dual monitor setup with the guest set to monitor 1 which was a recommendation from poo poo I googled, it has the same effect on either monitor.

What did I gently caress up and how do I fix it?

Edit: Image for reference

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 2, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

You can also just vmotion stuff around or wait 30 or so minutes for tps to kick in

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

You can also just vmotion stuff around or wait 30 or so minutes for tps to kick in

I had applied the setting to the host then left it for a day and there was no change in the host memory usage. Does it definitely work without doing anything to VMs ? Didn't do anything in my case until I power cycled all the VMs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This is only partly virtualization related, but what idiot designed the vmworld schedule builder? OH HAY, HERE'S A LIST OF 700 loving THINGS, HAVE FUN SCROLLING THROUGH THEM INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING AT A CALENDAR VIEW LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD DO.

(nm, taking it to bitching thread before I have a stroke)

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2014

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

jre posted:

I had applied the setting to the host then left it for a day and there was no change in the host memory usage. Does it definitely work without doing anything to VMs ? Didn't do anything in my case until I power cycled all the VMs.

Within 24 hours without doing anything it should apply all on it's own.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

TeMpLaR posted:

Within 24 hours without doing anything it should apply all on it's own.

According to whom?

You need a new vmx process to get the updated setting. You get that with a vMotion, or hard power cycle.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What other things does V-Motion fix? I know it'll change the VM filenames. Anything else?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugggh. I was asked to set up Veeam backup of a mission critical VM at a client's. Server has a single 300GB datastore.... Guess how much of it is allocated to the VM and how this impacts my ability to do backups :q:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What other things does V-Motion fix? I know it'll change the VM filenames. Anything else?

Can you explain this more?

Lets say I have a VM named VM-1 and it's folder is VM-1 and VM-1.vmx along with everything else related. If I change that VM name to VM-2, then vMotion it, it will fix all those file names?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Moey posted:

Can you explain this more?

Lets say I have a VM named VM-1 and it's folder is VM-1 and VM-1.vmx along with everything else related. If I change that VM name to VM-2, then vMotion it, it will fix all those file names?

If you SVmotion it the file names will get updated when it gets copied to the new datastore.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A suspend/resume will do some of these as well, since vMotion is really a suspend/resume plus other magical stuff. The large pages options might work with a suspend/resume, but I am not certain. My guess is that it would. The reason these things work is because you a ended up with a new vmx process after the operation, which is what you are really looking for.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

DevNull posted:

According to whom?

You need a new vmx process to get the updated setting. You get that with a vMotion, or hard power cycle.

Yeah you are right, my brain isn't working today.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working
Is there a bare-metal desktop hypervisor, something like SmartOS but that allows for either virtual vga to the guests, or better yet vga pass-through (although I know that might be a headache)? I'm not looking for a full-fledged host os since I'd want to swap that out once in a while.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

No no serious posted:

Is there a bare-metal desktop hypervisor, something like SmartOS but that allows for either virtual vga to the guests, or better yet vga pass-through (although I know that might be a headache)? I'm not looking for a full-fledged host os since I'd want to swap that out once in a while.

oVirt, vSphere Hypervisor, XCP, etc

You'll need vt-d or iommu support.

Everything should do virtual VGA for guests, unless you mean something totally different.

Why would you want to swap bare metal hypervisors? They don't use compatible guest disk formats, shared storage filesystems, et al. You'd need to preemptively convert the VM.

What are you actually trying to accomplish?

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working
I have a decent i7 desktop that also has a bunch of virtual machines doing stuff like plex, development environment, print server, etc, all currently running under kvm/qemu. My host is Mint Linux right now, but I switch distros every few months, so migrating VMs is a pain in the rear end. I'd also love to be able to dual (or triple) boot and try some other hosts without having to migrate my VMs back and forth.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NippleFloss posted:

If you SVmotion it the file names will get updated when it gets copied to the new datastore.

I figured this much, but not with just a regular vMotion. I really pisses me off when VM names are different that DNS names.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

No no serious posted:

I have a decent i7 desktop that also has a bunch of virtual machines doing stuff like plex, development environment, print server, etc, all currently running under kvm/qemu. My host is Mint Linux right now, but I switch distros every few months, so migrating VMs is a pain in the rear end. I'd also love to be able to dual (or triple) boot and try some other hosts without having to migrate my VMs back and forth.

Doesn't actually explain much.

I'd use Vagrant for your Dev box, but...

Do you want to use bare metal on this box or another one? Do you have shared storage?

You could set /var/lib/libvirt/images up on another partition. Or make a UDF/NTFS partition and use VMware workstation (or fusion for a hackintosh) and use your VMs from any OS you want, or...

An actual use case would help.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is virtualbox an option? It seems like what you want is a layer of abstraction that would let your VMs work regardless of the underlying OS which is pretty much what VB provides. Or do you specifically care about testing the capabilities of the distro as a host OS?

So yeah I guess I am really just reiterating evol's question :)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Moey posted:

I figured this much, but not with just a regular vMotion. I really pisses me off when VM names are different that DNS names.

Why? Assuming you have VMware Tools installed you can view the DNS name from the VM OS level right in vCenter :)

Lets you name your VM's something else that might make more sense.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Wicaeed posted:

Why? Assuming you have VMware Tools installed you can view the DNS name from the VM OS level right in vCenter :)

Lets you name your VM's something else that might make more sense.

Having names in vCenter that do not match computer names is not best practice, and most health check tools will flag things like this.

If notes are desired, there is a notes field for the VM. Also, tags are an option.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Why would you ever want a VM name that is different than the guests host name? What makes more sense than the servers actual name? A mismatch is the sort of thing that gets VMs destroyed accidentally during housecleaning.

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am
I know of a site that gives users the ability to change the VM name. So that they can come along and rename it to "ComputerName - Dave" or "ComputerName - Spare" depending on who is using it right now.

It completely hurts my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Swap, ballooning, compression that is not being reclaimed.

DevNull posted:

According to whom?

http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2013/03/19/large-memory-pages-and-shrinking-consolidation-ratios/

And I've seen TPS kick in when you push it, doesn't seem to work AS effective as a vMotion or reboot but it does start reclaiming some of the memory