Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's the prettiest girl at the ball, everyone needs to pay court to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

How much money have people spent on you genocyber? Its getting kind of ridiculous

I think tihis is the third title so :30bux: I guess.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

IIRC you can do the reverse backstep thing in Dks2 by using the same sort of inputs for reverse rolling in Dks.

Hmmmm

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I usually tell people who want to know which Souls game to play that Demon's has the best atmosphere, DS1 has the best story, and DS2 has the best gameplay. Since I don't care about lore and atmosphere is a "nice to have" rather than a must have, DS2 is by far my favourite of the series.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls 2 just feels so much more natural in its animations, it's like your character is actually rolling.

You and Genocyber are the only people I've ever heard praise the Dark Souls II animations though. Pretty much everyone else I've ever heard talk about them (which isn't a lot because most people quite frankly don't give a poo poo) complained about them being "weightless". I really never spent any meaningful amount of time in my life studying the way people move in situations like that to know what game has the most realistic animations, so I wouldn't know one way or another.

Dark Souls II's walking/running animations are objectively janky, though (the steps aren't well syncronized with the movements so sometimes the characters just slightly slide into place).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pretty much everyone else I've ever heard talk about them (which isn't a lot because most people quite frankly don't give a poo poo) complained about them being "weightless".

Compared to Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Whoever thought so must have been on some serious drugs :psyduck:

The "weightlessness" is exactly one of my main issues with Dark/Demon's Souls, the roll being an extreme example of the sort.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You and Genocyber are the only people I've ever heard praise the Dark Souls II animations though. Pretty much everyone else I've ever heard talk about them (which isn't a lot because most people quite frankly don't give a poo poo) complained about them being "weightless". I really never spent any meaningful amount of time in my life studying the way people move in situations like that to know what game has the most realistic animations, so I wouldn't know one way or another.

Dark Souls II's walking/running animations are objectively janky, though (the steps aren't well syncronized with the movements so sometimes the characters just slightly slide into place).

Again this comes from the motion capture, you can't mo cap a human moving in every environment the game demands so you are more likely to see bugs in movement in awkward places. However everything seems more fluid and natural.

The weightless feeling though I have no idea about.

Apso
May 30, 2008

Frustrating controls are just something you come to take for granted in Dks games. I played them in reverse order starting with Dks2 and was screaming at my TV because I didn't think the game was responsive enough, but by the time you get through the story it all kinda falls into place. The only thing that frustrated me more about Dks1 than 2 was it seemed harder to land backstabs. I played Demon's Souls last and it felt really fast and arcadey, which was kind of a nice departure from the sluggishness that frustrated me so bad in the Dks games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If there is one problem I have never had in any of the Souls games, it's unresponsive controls. There's a wind up on attacks, they aren't instant like in DMC or whatever, but your attack will always start as soon as you hit the button.

Apso
May 30, 2008

It's definitely a perceived injustice when you start out. If you haven't played a Souls game before, and are expecting a hack and slash like DMC, it can feel sluggish or unresponsive when it takes time for animations to resolve.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Well, Dark Souls 1 (maybe 2?) had that bug/framerate issue where the game would ignore your last few inputs and start doing them about 1 second or more afterwards to be fair. FROM patched it a few times but I don't remember them ever fully getting rid of it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Demon's has jankier animations, but they're also much faster. Seriously, go back and try it out. You feel like you run faster, stabs and other animations play more quickly, and so forth. Demon's is just a faster-paced game (for the player), but in an environment that doesn't really necessitate it most of the time. They slowed things down a lot for Dark Souls and it tightened things up a lot. 2 is like sort of a happy medium, but with the consequence of actually making some enemies pretty fast and unpredictable too (something that was largely not the case with Demon's).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Compared to Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Whoever thought so must have been on some serious drugs :psyduck:

Just check *any* GAF Souls thread and chances are someone will complain about Dark Souls II's animations and point to Bloodborne's leaked trailer to say something like "Miyazaki's A team rocking those cool Dark Souls animations again!"

Also, I don't really think there's anything frustrating about the series' controls except for a few weird inputs in DkSII and the jumping in DkSI. You just have to get used to the fact that the game is more methodical than an action game and requires you to commit to your actions. After you learn that (plus how to not waste stamina) everything falls into place.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Why would I check neoGAF for loving anything lmao

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

2 is like sort of a happy medium, but with the consequence of actually making some enemies pretty fast and unpredictable too (something that was largely not the case with Demon's).

Then why do we constantly have people whining about DS2 being so much slower than DS1 :confused:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Just check *any* GAF Souls thread and chances are someone will complain about Dark Souls II's animations and point to Bloodborne's leaked trailer to say something like "Miyazaki's A team rocking those cool Dark Souls animations again!"

Also, I don't really think there's anything frustrating about the series' controls except for a few weird inputs in DkSII and the jumping in DkSI. You just have to get used to the fact that the game is more methodical than an action game and requires you to commit to your actions. After you learn that (plus how to not waste stamina) everything falls into place.

From what we have seen Bloodborne is going to have Blighttown levels of FPS issues.

Your Computer posted:

Then why do we constantly have people whining about DS2 being so much slower than DS1 :confused:

Because now it's popular so it sucks, that's pretty much the common origination of most people who despise DS2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always assumed people meant the way PvP plays out or something. More conservative play or whatever. They can't mean the animations because you'd have to be blind to not see that DkS2 is faster than DkS1 on that front. A lot of the arguments in this thread are purely subjective and we're all idiots for having them, but that ain't one of them.

Alexzandvar posted:

From what we have seen Bloodborne is going to have Blighttown levels of FPS issues.

We've seen a trailer of alpha footage. Which means we've seen nothing at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Alexzandvar posted:

Eh, a lot of areas that were shown early in Dark Souls turned out to be fine framerate-wise at release and they're having Sony's support so I'm confident they'll avoid another Blighttowngate. I'm not sure what that had to do with what I said though :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Your Computer posted:

The player character in Dark Souls 1 moves faster and acts faster than the player in Dark Souls 2, but so do all of the enemies, so the game's combat is more passive and about getting your hits in and getting out than Dark Souls 1's, leading it to feeling like a slower game despite all of the upscales in animation speed.

Alexzandvar posted:

And what we've seen of Bloodborne is from a pre-alpha build over a year old.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, a lot of areas that were shown early in Dark Souls turned out to be fine framerate-wise at release and they're having Sony's support so I'm confident they'll avoid another Blighttowngate. I'm not sure what that had to do with what I said though :v:

I said it mostly just in response to the crazy poo poo people over at NeoGAF, but there is a precedent for Soul's games having poor optimization which can cause things to really chug on consoles.

EDIT: I'm not saying it won't get better but It's silly to pretend all Souls games have been totally lacking in FPS and performance issues.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

And what we've seen of Bloodborne is from a pre-alpha build over a year old.

Additionally, the performance in the e3 showing was a lot better than the stuff in the leaked trailer.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I always assumed people meant the way PvP plays out or something. More conservative play or whatever. They can't mean the animations because you'd have to be blind to not see that DkS2 is faster than DkS1 on that front. A lot of the arguments in this thread are purely subjective and we're all idiots for having them, but that ain't one of them.

More or less. Dks movement is not faster so much as "looser" I guess? Like you can't really do any sort of the things featured in this video in Dks2, aside from quick weapon swaps I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZeKhg9p3bQ

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I asked about this before but it was vague and I was high so, I formatted my computer and lost a save with over a hundred hours and almost all the armour etc. is the best bet to just use a Cheat engine table to get back the poo poo I want and tough it through NG again?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DS1 was definitely the most slow-paced in the series, it amazed me how long it took to do anything after going back from DS2 and it felt pretty clunky by comparison. I don't understand how people can think 2's animations are weaker when there's 60 FPS, cloth physics, smoother weapon animations, etc. It's just a much smoother-looking and much faster paced game.

I'm not sure if it's faster than demon's souls (I haven't gone back to that after playing 2 yet) but it definitely feels the most fluid. Demon's is probably somewhere in between the two (I definitely enjoyed it more than dark souls 1 my first time).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Demon's is fast but most of the enemies are pathetically slow. Flamelurker was the boss for aggressive in-your-face poo poo-your-pants he-won't-get-off-of-me gameplay, and I replayed Demon's Souls a few months ago and just melee'd his rear end with some dodge rolls out of his hilariously-telegraphed swings. Penetrator also rushes you but again, not too hard to actually avoid. The only boss in Demon's that really stands up to the rest of the series even now is False King Allant, and that's generally recognized as probably one of the high point battles of the entire series. And even he doesn't really hold a candle to the "holy poo poo" moment O&S was for me the first time I ran into it. God, I was stuck on O&S forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've put in twice as much time and runs to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 1, because it's easier to play. The levels are easier, it's easier to co-op, pvp is easier at least in the areas everyone congregates to, even if the red eye orbs and soul memory suck, and the gameplay is smoother and all the little improvements have added up. I think DS1 is better in most of the level design (gently caress crystal caves and Lost Izalith though), atmosphere, story, and all that, but DS2 is just better and easier to pick up and to play. If I want to do DS1 again, I kind of have to steel myself for it. Even after losing eighty hours of saves and several runs because of a save fuckup in DS2 I just shrugged and went back to it. That would have sapped interest entirely for me in DS1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flamelurker has always been really easy, it's just that you can't shoot him through the fog door or sniper him from a ledge like every other boss (you could still get him stuck on something I think but it was harder and not worth the effort). Now, the False King is still a right dick. That was a fun boss fight. Shame about the whole Poison Cloud thing, but it wouldn't be a Souls final boss if you couldn't break it.

edit: I was kinda kidding before but now that I think about it, how many bosses could you not break in some way? Fool's Idol maybe? The Old Monk I guess, but that breaks itself if you don't get invaded. The Storm King was meant to be broken so that doesn't count.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 4, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nakar posted:

Demon's is fast but most of the enemies are pathetically slow. Flamelurker was the boss for aggressive in-your-face poo poo-your-pants he-won't-get-off-of-me gameplay, and I replayed Demon's Souls a few months ago and just melee'd his rear end with some dodge rolls out of his hilariously-telegraphed swings. Penetrator also rushes you but again, not too hard to actually avoid. The only boss in Demon's that really stands up to the rest of the series even now is False King Allant, and that's generally recognized as probably one of the high point battles of the entire series. And even he doesn't really hold a candle to the "holy poo poo" moment O&S was for me the first time I ran into it. God, I was stuck on O&S forever.

Demon's Souls bosses being pretty easy isn't actually a problem though.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Alexzandvar posted:

It was the opposite for me, I loved DS1 but it's hard for me to go back to it because everything is so unpolished compared to DS2. Then again Fromsoft revealed that the original people who made DS1 all went to work on Bloodborne instead so now we get to hear the stupid B team poo poo for every single Dark Souls DLC and Game forever.
It's hard not to think of the DaS2 devs as the B-team when you know that so many of their design decisions wouldn't have happened with Miyazaki in charge.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meatsicle posted:

It's hard not to think of the DaS2 devs as the B-team when you know that so many of their design decisions wouldn't have happened with Miyazaki in charge.

And what design decisions are those exactly? Miyazaki is very good for making stuff look cool, but when it comes to functionality he's not your guy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Except people keep using the word B team as if it was bad.

So gently caress them. Dark souls 2 may have some things that not as good as DS1 or DeS for that matter, but it's still a worthy addition to the franchise.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Meatsicle posted:

For instance: every action you, the player, take is for the sake of the emerald herald and the only way to prevent that is to never talk to her, in which case there is no context for anything you do and nothing makes sense

And then you don't get estus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alexzandvar posted:

And what design decisions are those exactly? Miyazaki is very good for making stuff look cool, but when it comes to functionality he's not your guy.

The way the world map is laid out, probably. It's pretty meandering and there's the odd transitions. Also there's the plot dumps the Emerald Herald gives you.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
In the first game there may only have been an illusion of choice as far as the ultimate resolution goes but you do have the option to shape your own path and motivations, culminating in a final decision to process what you have been told over the course of fhe game and cast the present world aside or give in to your sense of duty an maintain the illusions of a dying flame

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE PENETRATOR posted:

For instance: every action you, the player, take is for the sake of the emerald herald and the only way to prevent that is to never talk to her, in which case there is no context for anything you do and nothing makes sense

And then you don't get estus

You have to get the Lord Vessel, the Defeat the 4 king, Nito, Bed of Chaos, and Seath. In DS2 you don't need to defeat any of the Great Souls bosses to beat the game. Also in Dark Souls if you don't talk to anyone nothing has context or makes sense.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The way the world map is laid out, probably. It's pretty meandering and there's the odd transitions. Also there's the plot dumps the Emerald Herald gives you.

The transitions are weird and convoluted, but when it comes to plot dumps they exist in an equal amount in Dark Souls 1 such the Primordial Serpents.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Manatee Cannon posted:

odd transitions

Okay yeah, this has been bothering me for awhile. Does the snake-lady have a dimensional elevator, or what? I thought I was in the top of a tower in green poison land and I take a few floors up to a castle sinking into hell?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

Okay yeah, this has been bothering me for awhile. Does the snake-lady have a dimensional elevator, or what? I thought I was in the top of a tower in green poison land and I take a few floors up to a castle sinking into hell?

If I had a nickle for every time this specific elevator has been brought up I could buy Russia.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Except people keep using the word B team as if it was bad.

So gently caress them. Dark souls 2 may have some things that not as good as DS1 or DeS for that matter, but it's still a worthy addition to the franchise.

B team is so dumb since there are plenty of people who worked on Demon's/Dark but not any of the previous games, such as Miyazaki himself. And KF4 and Shadow Tower Abyss are both really good.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Protagonist posted:

Iron Keep is actually a place inside a volcanic mountain range. Originally Earthen Peak was going to have a very huge mountain behind it to make the elevator make sense, but do to some pretty big performance issues that had to get rid of the mountain. You can still see the mountain on the Harvest Valley level screen.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Manatee Cannon posted:

Flamelurker has always been really easy, it's just that you can't shoot him through the fog door or sniper him from a ledge like every other boss (you could still get him stuck on something I think but it was harder and not worth the effort). Now, the False King is still a right dick. That was a fun boss fight. Shame about the whole Poison Cloud thing, but it wouldn't be a Souls final boss if you couldn't break it.
You can also Poison Cloud Flamelurker. Wear the Thief Ring and enter the fog door, don't move. He won't aggro. Now hug the right edge of the room and walk all the way to the base of the stairs at the back that lead to Dragon God. He's facing away from you so you can creep a little closer and Poison Cloud him and he'll stand there and die.

I don't think there's a single boss in Demon's Souls you can't cheese:
  • Vanguard can be baited into butt-stomping over and over.
  • Phalanx maybe, but you get firebombs and it makes it trivial.
  • Tower Knight can be peek-sniped from the battlements.
  • Summon Biorr for Penetrator.
  • Poison Cloud on False King Allant (also Old King Doran).
  • Armor Spider can be shot with a bow from a safe spot in the hallway.
  • Flamelurker can be Poison Cloud killed.
  • Dragon God is a gimmick fight but in the final phase you can avoid any danger with a bow so that counts.
  • With Hyper Mode and a fast weapon with a buff on it you can kill Fool's Idol before her first teleport/split.
  • Maneaters can be half-killed through the fog door.
  • Go offline for Old Monk.
  • Adjudicator I think has a safe spot on the top level, although he's the closest to being non-cheese because he has a specific attack against people not on the ground level that's supposed to stop that.
  • Old Hero is blind, stop making sound and shoot him and wait for him to go back to search mode and he never does anything.
  • Storm King can be killed easily with the Storm Ruler.
  • Leechmonger can be shot with arrows from above where it can't hit you.
  • Dirty Colossus may actually be legit, he's easy with fire damage but I'm not sure there's any way to trivialize him outright.
  • You can just ignore Garl and shoot Astraea with arrows from the overlook.
  • Arrows work on both dragons from a safe distance or safe spot.
So... yep, basically every boss in Demon's Souls can be cheesed extensively. Except maybe Dirty Colossus, who is too easy for that to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not like that's the only weird transition. You're constantly going from places where it's an eternal twilight, to an eternal setting sun, or eternal moonlit night. If you look at the map in the basement of Majula, you can see that the lord souls are miles and miles apart in Drangleic, yet you move through a corridor that's a fifth of a mile long and traveled that distance. With Iron Keep it's just the most noticeable.