Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Torabi posted:

Oh, alright. Figured they should at least be different a little bit since they are different cars. Is it just that the cars really are very similar or that iracing doesn't bother simulating them properly?

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any sessions at all for Nascar Iracing Series. At least not when I'm looking. I see sessions for the nascar trucks though. Maybe I should just get a truck and go full redneck.

If you area class C (D4.0+) you can only do trucks. Nationwide requires B and I think cup car requires A.
In real nascar the only difference is where the blocks come from.. the chasis are the same.. just the stickers for grills/lights are different.. there may be a few small differences but as far as I know they are the same.

edit: If you mean the Nascar series where they run 1/2 length races, they are only run on weekends, the weekly series requires an A license.
Get in trucks to learn the fundamentals of driving the cars, also indy is stupid fun,
Watch out when jumping between truck to indy. One day I was being brain-dead and was a hazard on the track. I had finished a truck race (got crashed out) and then joined up to an indy race. I couldn't figure out why I was so loving slow.. I then remembered I was in the indy car and that I was driving it like a truck, a full 2-3 seconds off pace when I was on pace earlier in the day when practicing.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Torabi posted:

Oh, alright. Figured they should at least be different a little bit since they are different cars. Is it just that the cars really are very similar or that iracing doesn't bother simulating them properly?

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any sessions at all for Nascar Iracing Series. At least not when I'm looking. I see sessions for the nascar trucks though. Maybe I should just get a truck and go full redneck.

The Nascar Iracing Series is special like the Road Warrior series. It only has a few races on the weekend and follows the tracks of the real life series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

If you area class C (D4.0+) you can only do trucks. Nationwide requires B and I think cup car requires A.
In real nascar the only difference is where the blocks come from.. the chasis are the same.. just the stickers for grills/lights are different.. there may be a few small differences but as far as I know they are the same.

Yup, there's more variance in the chassis from one team to the next than there is from one brand to the next. They're all running pushrod V8s that are extremely similar in just about every possible way, and any visual difference has no real impact on aero.

In iRacing they literally just give them all the same models to work with underneath, it's just a matter of what brand the skin is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Torabi posted:

Stock Car racing is designed so every car is as identical as possible aside from set up.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Torabi posted:

Seriously, why do people refuse to slow down/brake when they crash?

http://pahlavan.se/dump/what_are_brakes.webm
(Quality became poo poo for some reason.)

If I didn't slow down my car on the clip I posted earlier where a guy rams me off the track, I would've bounced back in and people would've smashed into me.

Yeah I get that they should have slammed on the brakes and were a douche after their wreck. But those two guys that hit him didn't even attempt to change lines and they should have seen he was skirting the track and apron pretty clearly.

(Edit - Just to be clear, that guy is indeed a loving idiot.)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Here's a complete coindence!

http://www.iracing.com/iracingnews/iracing-news/iracing-sponsors-nurburgring-1000
http://instagram.com/p/rRIRQxsilu/

Also:
:siren: FREE 3 MONTH MEMBERSHIP TO NEW MEMBERS :siren:

http://www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000/

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 4, 2014

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That should be incredible. I was a bit curious if they had some other motivation for sponsoring that race.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I envision something like this:
Nurburgring
Content Required!
Added to cart - click to view Cart

$75.00

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

And maybe they could use the proceeds from the sale of that track to hire someone to overhaul their website and server infrastructure!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
God drat it. First somebody gets free 12 month codes a few days after I sign up. Now you can get three months free. Welp. :suicide:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly they should be handing out first 3 months like candy.. The first 3 months is a lot of tracks and cars being purchased. Sure you'll get folks sitting in the rookie / free cars and tracks, but eventually they'll spend money if they want to stick around..
Honestly I've done 6 months, and I don't want to look at my car/track bill and I have been conservative, and not really played the last 2 months (Summer)

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I envision something like this:
Nurburgring
Content Required!
Added to cart - click to view Cart

$75.00

Is it bad that I would probably buy it?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

They will probably do the Nurburgring GP. I don't think they would do the Nordschleife.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
It's hard to say. The rumor is that the track is doing the scanning themselves. If that's true, scanning the entire thing is conceivable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Diplomat posted:

Is it bad that I would probably buy it?

Nope. Though I fear Bumming Your Scene is right and that somehow they're really just doing the GP circuit.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Can't wait to see some non-local yellow flags on that bad boy.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Is there anything keeping you from having multiple accounts (besides all the money spent, of course)? Sounds tempting to dick around in rookie with a gamepad to try it out and then just get a fresh account afterwards if I actually want to drop cash on this.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Wuntvor posted:

Is there anything keeping you from having multiple accounts (besides all the money spent, of course)?

Only if you're banned. If you want to buy a fresh account you can, just don't buy any content on the gamepad account.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm not sure if it's frowned upon or not, but I know there are several oval guys who keep second accounts in rookies just to get drunk and street stock.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ManicJason posted:

I'm not sure if it's frowned upon or not, but I know there are several oval guys who keep second accounts in rookies just to get drunk and street stock.

I wonder if there's already a Rusty Shackleford on iRacing...:ninja:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

ManicJason posted:

It's hard to say. The rumor is that the track is doing the scanning themselves. If that's true, scanning the entire thing is conceivable.

Scanning the entire track is definitely conceivable, since a laser scanned version has already been announced as post-release DLC for Assetto Corsa.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a difference between laser scanning and iRacing laser scanning. The picture posted there is a car mounted laser scanner. iRacing doesn't do this because it's not accurate enough. They only use tripods.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cojawfee posted:

There's a difference between laser scanning and iRacing laser scanning. The picture posted there is a car mounted laser scanner. iRacing doesn't do this because it's not accurate enough. They only use tripods.

Probably not going to matter too much in the end, the data has to be reduced to package into a game and you probably lose a lot of accuracy there anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think they do it mostly in the case that one day they can add more detail. They will always have the super detailed scan and they don't have to go back to the track to rescan it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think they do it mostly in the case that one day they can add more detail. They will always have the super detailed scan and they don't have to go back to the track to rescan it.

I will say that their flawed logic in this is that a lot of these tracks, by the time they actually get around to wanting / needing that extra data, will have changed anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will say that their flawed logic in this is that a lot of these tracks, by the time they actually get around to wanting / needing that extra data, will have changed anyway.

IMS could be an example of this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They need to scan the new roadcourse and pylon, dammit. :colbert:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

They need to scan the new roadcourse and pylon, dammit. :colbert:

I'll have to ask the iRacing guy about it during the IMS Ganassi Garage Tour next year :haw:

My guess is next year since IMS now has:

1. Improved Road Course
  2. New Pylon
  3. Apron for NASCAR

As far as the DW-12, I'm most happy about the full dashboard with LOTS OF NUMBERS

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3265317.page

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Welp. I now own all the tracks for the Indy oval series.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Scanning the full thing the iRacing way isn't inconceivable, it's about a month long job.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Overwined posted:

Can't wait to see some non-local yellow flags on that bad boy.

Rolling start with a full lap behind the pace car.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Largepotato posted:

Rolling start with a full lap behind the pace car.

"Pace car is in, Yellow flag, Line up behind the pace car".

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sounds like my race last night. 6 cautions for 24 laps out of a 50 lap race.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

revdrkevind posted:

"Pace car is in, Yellow flag, Line up behind the pace car".

Dega/Daytona are bad enough with the 3 minute pace laps.

Though on the "bright" side, I can fit in a full smoke in the amount of time it takes for a caution cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dudley posted:

Scanning the full thing the iRacing way isn't inconceivable, it's about a month long job.

Problem with that being the full Nordschleife is open for tourists to drive around and crash into arncos most of the year around so closing the thing down for a month to scan it all is going to be a problem.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You could always scan it at night.
Since its laser you don't need real daylight to scan it.
Either way a new track is cool and a free 3 months is cool.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For anyone intending to run the Fixed Indycar series at Kentucky this week, be aware that your tires will not be able to safely hold the low line after 7-8 laps. I know for sure that with worn tires you can straddle the lowest lane marker stripes, and I think I heard that you can go high-low and be safe, but I haven't tried that method yet.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I've been suffering performance issues since I got back into iRacing a few weeks ago - I suspect it's because I'm on old hardware now but thought I'd check if anyone has any ideas first.

I'm finding particularly in races that everything will be running fine for a bit and then I start getting what seems like random drops in FPS but the counter is still saying 50+ in iRacing. Tonight I noticed it during practice at Silverstone when following cars and did a bit of investigating, and looks like my CPU is getting really hot (I think it's been hitting over 100C at points) and this coincides with the drops.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8400 which is I guess a good 6 years old now. Short of making sure the fans are clean is there really much I can do or do I need to start speccing up a new PC?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

poshphil posted:

I've been suffering performance issues since I got back into iRacing a few weeks ago - I suspect it's because I'm on old hardware now but thought I'd check if anyone has any ideas first.

I'm finding particularly in races that everything will be running fine for a bit and then I start getting what seems like random drops in FPS but the counter is still saying 50+ in iRacing. Tonight I noticed it during practice at Silverstone when following cars and did a bit of investigating, and looks like my CPU is getting really hot (I think it's been hitting over 100C at points) and this coincides with the drops.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo E8400 which is I guess a good 6 years old now. Short of making sure the fans are clean is there really much I can do or do I need to start speccing up a new PC?

I ran with an e8400 with no issues. I ran with virtual mirror and lowered graphics.
I used a GeForce 210 as a card which is no powerhouse.

Are you using the on board graphics or a separate card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I ran with an e8400 with no issues. I ran with virtual mirror and lowered graphics.
I used a GeForce 210 as a card which is no powerhouse.

Are you using the on board graphics or a separate card?

I've got an equally old 9600GT, that doesn't seem to be running massively hot in comparison to the CPU.

I had this problem and reformatted recently but it's still rearing it's head in races or in practice on some tracks with other cars around. Practice on Lime Rock Park last week was fine, as were a couple of races where I ended up racing without anyone around, but I hit the issue in a race when close to other cars, and again tonight with cars around practicing at Silverstone.

• Locked thread