Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Some moms are really protective
My mom would probably try to convince me that I never actually had a gameboy though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Renegade Kid has announced a new 3DS eShop game: Xeodrifter, a "bite-sized metroidvania" comparable to Ikachan in scope. There's a dev diary with a QR code to a 3D screenshot here:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/234451-gonintendo-exclusive-renegade-kid-unveils-xeodrifter-for-3ds-eshop

He also talks about what's going on with some of their other announced games: Cult County ain't happening, Treasurenauts is on hold, some licensed thing they were making is dead.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'd prefer it to be closer to Mutant Mudds in scope, since that game started out sort of pricey but then got two substantial updates with a bunch more levels somewhere along the way.

But I am still interested.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Renegade Kid has announced a new 3DS eShop game: Xeodrifter, a "bite-sized metroidvania" comparable to Ikachan in scope. There's a dev diary with a QR code to a 3D screenshot here:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/234451-gonintendo-exclusive-renegade-kid-unveils-xeodrifter-for-3ds-eshop

He also talks about what's going on with some of their other announced games: Cult County ain't happening, Treasurenauts is on hold, some licensed thing they were making is dead.

If it's priced appropriately for an Ikachan-length game (two or three bucks), I'm in on this.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

:pray: Please put a GBA game as a Club Nintendo reward option this month, Nintendo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Man this looks super cool. Fingers crossed that it might get a PAL region look-in.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 7):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mach Rider (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge (GBA) - €6.99 / £6/29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Donkey Kong (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Ice Climber (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Punch-Out!! (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Wario's Woods (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs runs until August 7
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Baseball (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Golf (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Kid Icarus (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Tennis (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from August 7-14
    Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from August 7-14
    TNT Racers Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 14
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U) - €6.79 / £5.49 until August 21
    Blok Drop U (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from August 7-21
    Disney Planes (Wii U) - €19.99 / £17.49 from August 7-21
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €0.49 / £0.44 for owners of Unepic from August 7-21
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £7/64 for owners of Abyss from August 7-21
    Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.00 for owners of EDGE, RUSH and Toki Tori

3DS eSHOP
    Rabi Laby 3 - €4.99 / £4.49
    Parking Star 3D (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man II (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Xtreme Sports (Game Boy Color) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - €19.99 / £19.99 until August 14
    Disney Planes (3DS) - €14.99 / £13.49 from August 7-21
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 from August 7-21
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until August 28

Wii U dudes, note the sales: aside from from the mostly crappy NES games, there's a sale on the Wii U-exclusive Scram Kitty, as well as some sort of promo for Toki Tori 2+ (there's no date listed, so it may be a permanent thing?)

Xtreme Sports is WayForward's take on California Sports by way of Pokemon. I haven't played much of it, but I remember hearing that the publisher they worked with for that game had no idea about publishing for Game Boy and let them develop for the most expensive and highest-capacity carts available, which came back to bite them in the arse when they developed Shantae for that same cart and no-one else was willing to publish a game on a cart that big.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
New US Club Nintendo Rewards are up.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
fffffffaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrtttttt

The rewards are generally pretty ho-hum.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope 8 reward choices is the new normal, that would be great going forward.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
GBC Mario Golf is supposedly a surprisingly good game with relaxing music and weirdo little RPG elements. I guess SF64 if you don't have it would be a good one?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mario golf is not a fart, but I wish it was Tennis

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any post-NES Open Mario golf game is a good golf game, and I played the everloving poo poo out of NES Open with my dad. For once, a sure-thing to grab.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

GBC Mario Golf is supposedly a surprisingly good game with relaxing music and weirdo little RPG elements. I guess SF64 if you don't have it would be a good one?
Yeah its a good rear end game of golf, and mechanically nothing has changed in Mario Golf for the past 15 years so you can go back and forth between that and World Tour no problem. Everyone should definitely pick it up for 200 coins no question.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ugh, I love Tetris Attack but I hate playing DSi ware games on my 3DS. Really wish they'd put up a 3DS picross or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Assuming the DSi version is like the DS one, don't bother. They changed the physics of how blocks drop compared to the SNES/N64/GCN versions and if you play those with any sort of regularity it will gently caress you up.

Plus they removed all the charm from the game, it's all just generic backgrounds with meh music.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Mario golf is not a fart, but I wish it was Tennis

That tennis game wasted so much of my life. It got strangely hard near the end, and those challenge bots got ridiculously fast iirc. MY thumb got so hurt on the Dpad during my playing of Mario Tennis.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP-only news for now, but worth posting anyway:

Ancient Games (Yuzo Koshiro's studio) has officially announced a 3DS eShop sequel to their XBLIG game Protect Me Knight - it has "around ten times the content" of the original and will include four-player local co-op, and Koshiro will be handling the music again, of course. It'll be out next month in Japan, international release still not confirmed.

Here's some footage from the XBLIG version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqbu8K4a4w

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JP-only news for now, but worth posting anyway:

Ancient Games (Yuzo Koshiro's studio) has officially announced a 3DS eShop sequel to their XBLIG game Protect Me Knight - it has "around ten times the content" of the original and will include four-player local co-op, and Koshiro will be handling the music again, of course. It'll be out next month in Japan, international release still not confirmed.

Here's some footage from the XBLIG version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqbu8K4a4w

Really wish this sequel would get online co-op. The original was a lot of fun but I could rarely get friends to play it. Glad it's coming to the 3DS though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Steel Diver Sub Wars 3.0 is up, here are the changes:

quote:

Battle online with players on your Nintendo 3DS Friend List (Premium version only).
Unlock three additional subs by playing a certain number of Local Play battles. (These submarines can be unlocked in both versions, but can only be used in the Premium version.)
Two new arenas were added especially for Local Play battles: “Underwater Rings” and “Underwater Plant” (These can also be used in Friend Battles in Internet Mode).
Owners of the Free version can access the submarine shop and purchase extra subs.
The number of Play Coins required to play Internet Mode in the Free version has been reduced from two coins to one coin.
Subs will not take damage from allied attacks.
Send preset messages in Morse-Code Chat using the direction pad (Up: “THANK YOU”, Right: “GOOD”, Down: “STOP”, Left: “SORRY”)
Score three times as many points for long-range hits.
Torpedoes will travel at 1.25 normal speed if fired while the sub is moving forward.
Eight new crew members were added. (These crew can only be used in the Premium version.)
Improved stats of the Clairvoyant and the Mechanic.
Some submarine stats have been fine-tuned.
Other adjustments have also been made to balance the game and make for a more fun gaming experience.

While I'm here... there's a Mario Kart 8 patch coming at the end of the month that'll improve the netcode, add the map to the TV screen, add a records screen for each player and some other minor changes (menu defaults to "next race" instead of replays, edit others' highlights, save last used kart loadout, etc). It'll also include these three Mercedes karts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaCFD32Uhs

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Map on the screen, and a records page sounds just like what I was missing. Can't wait. Also Mercedes. Vroom.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
In a weird twist, it looks like Nintendo will be putting out NOTHING for the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console next week. I think this might be the first week since launching where they don't plan to put anything out.

Pretty strange-- they've been pretty good about maintaining a decent combination of volume and variety every single week until now. Going from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Final Fight and Mega Man 7 this week to nothing to next week is a bit of a jump.

The 3DS VC hasn't been updated since, like, May or something, so maybe I shouldn't even be surprised.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I've heard whispers on the internet that Super Mario Kart was just made available on the US Wii U eShop.

No fanfare, no signs or hints about it on the website, not even a Miiverse community for it yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, is it?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It is:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have no way of manually checking from this part of the world, so all of my US eShop news will always be vague at best.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Super Mario Kart best Mario Kart

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Austrian mook posted:

Super Mario Kart best Mario Kart

Your first Mario Kart is always the best. So yes, you are right.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird to me that anyone could like the older Mario Kart games better than 8 unless they're way into Double Dash's two character gimmick or something

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird to me that anyone could like the older Mario Kart games better than 8 unless they're way into Double Dash's two character gimmick or something

Double Dash and DS had snaking, which was really fun to perfect and be competitive with. When the DS version came out years ago somebody started a tournament thread, which had brackets and everything, which was a lot of fun.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Help Im Alive posted:

Super Mario Kart (Along with Super Circuit) are a different beast than the later games.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

8 does lack a proper Battle Mode.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Machine posted:

Your first Mario Kart is always the best. So yes, you are right.

I disagree- I played a lot of Super Mario Kart, but Mario Kart 64 is IMO the best Mario Kart.

Mario Kart Wii was made by communists. Not Marxists who believe in workers controlling the means of production, but Cold War propaganda strawman communists who hate success and want to punish winners.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

cbirdsong posted:

8 does lack a proper Battle Mode.

This is also why I always come back to Double Dash. Bob-omb Blast just happens to combine two of my favourite things: Mario Kart and constant explosions. I assume they didn't bring it back because the mode gets kind of samey, and is absolutely broken. Still, I love it, and I want it back.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Super Mario Kart is a racing game focused on mechanics, Mario Kart 8 is focused on spectacle and a more party setting, if that makes sense. They're 2 games I love a lot for completely different reasons.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Double Dash also has a 16-player mode.

You just need, like, $2000 to buy everything you need to do it properly. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Austrian mook posted:

Super Mario Kart is a racing game focused on mechanics, Mario Kart 8 is focused on spectacle and a more party setting, if that makes sense. They're 2 games I love a lot for completely different reasons.

How is SMK more focused on mechanics over spectacle, especially if MK8 is the opposite?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

univbee posted:

Double Dash also has a 16-player mode.

You just need, like, $2000 to buy everything you need to do it properly. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

I imagine 8 Gamecubes don't cost that much anymore.
But then you'd also need like 8 TVs, and 16 controllers. And a bunch of LAN Broadband connectors that aren't easy to come by.

I imagine it's quite the spectacle though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I imagine 8 Gamecubes don't cost that much anymore.
But then you'd also need like 8 TVs, and 16 controllers. And a bunch of LAN Broadband connectors that aren't easy to come by.

I imagine it's quite the spectacle though.

If you want progressive scan it'll be like $1500, even with good ebay prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Austrian mook posted:

How so? 8 has pretty much the same mechanics even down to the coin collecting.