Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Herstocrat or bust :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Someone got their naming schemes mixed up and she's called Meowtocrat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is that a redone Gusty Garden Galaxy theme for the second shmup level? Nice. And the cloud of Fuzzies triggered me to the bug level in DKC Returns.

I've always been a fan of boss rushes, like the ones in Mega Man and Kirby.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
With all this talk of how hard levels would be with Mario or Toad, would this be a bad time to mention how I played through the whole game as Mario to begin with in about two days?

I like that 3D World is more clear about the criteria for unlocking the final world than 3D Land (get all the flagpoles? All of them as Mario? Luigi?)

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Just chiming in to say Jordan was a super great guest in a super great LP.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
King Ka-Thunk really does maximize the concept-to-difficulty ratio. Super cool idea for a boss. Super easy to beat.

:ssh: I think I'm more excited for the final Captain Toad level than the other two.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

frozentreasure posted:

With all this talk of how hard levels would be with Mario or Toad, would this be a bad time to mention how I played through the whole game as Mario to begin with in about two days?

I played the whole game to the end as Mario on my first go through also

:cool:

Vault Vanderhuge
Aug 11, 2011
Behold Chunder Road
I don't post often but I've been following this thread since the beginning and you can add one more WiiU to the list of Nintendo stuff you've sold through this thread. I can't afford it at the moment but the minute it's possible I'm buying the gently caress out of this. Between this LP and the couple minutes of 3D World I got to play a few weeks ago I am super-hooked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

gently caress this world. gently caress this whole world. But especially gently caress that rhythm block level. So many lives lost. So. MANY. :cry:

I actually didn't beat it myself. I had to rope my husband into doing it for me, because I suck at rhythm anything. Then on the boss rush level I died right in front of the extra time clock. :smithicide: Husband helped me with that one too. Hisstocrat is easier with two people. However, I never thought of bouncing from one's head to the other. I'll have to try that!

I still haven't done the final world. I am afraid.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Your fear is well-founded.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I ultimately gave up on the final level after well over 200 lives lost there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

I ultimately gave up on the final level after well over 200 lives lost there.

You can do it! I believe in you!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

If the Mario Marathon didn't inspire me to buy a Wii U in June, this thread probably would have. This game is so much fun, I just got new glasses and am using my newfound good vision as an excuse to play the game again. :haw:

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
I love this LP.. it's totally showing me places in this game I will never, ever see otherwise.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

I've noticed all the Mii ghosts for the final level seem to be Luigi with the tanooki suit on. Which makes sense because they get maximum hover.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

kurt phillips posted:

I've noticed all the Mii ghosts for the final level seem to be Luigi with the tanooki suit on. Which makes sense because they get maximum hover.

Needing hover for the final level is a sign that you have poor rhythm, gotta get better at beats :whatup:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Neruz posted:

Needing hover for the final level is a sign that you have poor rhythm, gotta get better at beats :whatup:

I would think it's for the later part of the level where it's harder to control yourself.

(Trying to be ambiguous here to keep things unspoiled.)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ha hahah haa haaaaaaa...

I did it. Every level, every character. 750 lives.

:getin:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Ha hahah haa haaaaaaa...

There is no way I'm coming in with a three digit lives lost count. Good job!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mazerunner posted:

Ha hahah haa haaaaaaa...

This man(person) knows how to Mario properly :golfclap:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

pokeyman posted:

Well, I'll admit I cheated a bit on that by quitting out to the main menu if I died on the last level, mostly because I didn't want to wrangle up more Tanooki suits. I still don't think it'd be above 1k deaths though.

To atone I'll have to do the last level no power-ups Mario run I guess :shobon:

edit: also one time my friends wanted to try and we lost like 200 lives over the course of half an hour. We didn't even finish the level.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
My successful run of the final level was a no-powerups Rosalina run. Which has to be the easiest non-powered character to complete it with, honestly. I shudder to think of how goddamn hard it would be with Mario. Or Toad. :smithicide:

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

KieranWalker posted:

My successful run of the final level was a no-powerups Rosalina run. Which has to be the easiest non-powered character to complete it with, honestly. I shudder to think of how goddamn hard it would be with Mario. Or Toad. :smithicide:

Dex beats it as Mario from what ive heard, but I havent seen it for sure. Prepare for the suffering.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, I had 832 deaths, with probably a 1/4 of them just to beat the last level with Peach, with a powerup. That's pretty impressive!

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 3, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

drat. I'm up to around 400 or so deaths and I haven't even touched The Final Level! I'm working on beating every (other) level with every character.

I'll see how far I get before it breaks me. I can feel it coming. But it's been a fun ride. :unsmith:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm at 872, but I still haven't gotten all the stamps. Plus that's a lower bound, as I was shutting the console off in disgust after many game overs on the last level. So it's entirely possible that I'll get everything done in under 1000 lives!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I need to get a wiiU and this game.

But I also need to be not poor as poo poo.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Fired up my game to check my death count, and I'm at 185. I got most of those trying to collect every star/stamp in a single run of the level or pretending to be a speedrunner and being murdered over and over. At least half of those deaths are due to me actually screwing something up, and I suspect those also happened in the secret world... All as Mario where possible, too. Is it wrong for me to just not like playing as the other characters?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

something posted:

I need to get a wiiU and this game.

But I also need to be not poor as poo poo.
Same here :( There's a thrift store near me with a flat-screen TV that they're selling for $225. My (very) long-term plan is to get enough money to buy that, then buy a Wii U (hopefully in a few months there will be a cool bundle to buy), then get this game. Also, get Earthbound because my SNES and Earthbound cart are in storage.

Edit: Also gonna get Mario Kart 8, which, along with the beginning of the (American) football season, gives me an excuse to post this pic.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2014

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

At about 300 lives lost and I'm not even done to where we are in the last video. I also haven't beaten every level with every character. To get whatever maguffin you get for doing that is it simply completing the level start to finish? That might not be that bad

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KKKLIP ART posted:

At about 300 lives lost and I'm not even done to where we are in the last video. I also haven't beaten every level with every character. To get whatever maguffin you get for doing that is it simply completing the level start to finish? That might not be that bad

This is what I wanted to ask. What does beating the every level with every character even do? Or is this one of those "Sit patiently, grasshopper. All will be revealed in time" kind of things?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I want the final video to be Dex beating the final level as all characters.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

CzarChasm posted:

This is what I wanted to ask. What does beating the every level with every character even do? Or is this one of those "Sit patiently, grasshopper. All will be revealed in time" kind of things?
Answer (in spoiler tags, since it's a spoiler): Nothing much, really; it's only for completion's sake. You do get a stamp for each character that you complete every level with, so that's five more stamps in total that you can't get any other way. Plus, a number of stars is displayed on your save file on the file selection screen depending on how much of the game you've completed: You get one for finishing the game/defeating Meowser, one for collecting all the stars and stamps in all the "regular" levels, etc. up to four stars for reaching the final world. If you complete all the levels with with all five characters each, you then get a fifth and final star to show up on your save file, and that's it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of the final level, I have a question for people who have actually beaten it. Since the final level doesn't give you that invincibility item for dying too many times, if I die more than 5 times, will I keep my shiny stars on my file? I got all the way to this point without the game being too difficult, but now this last level is just a full difficulty spike out of nowhere from the few times I tried, and I really don't want to give up my stupid bragging rights that no one will ever even see just to get a few more stars.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Even if that cheat leaf shows up, as long as you don't actually take it, you don't lose your shiny stars. I've had that thing show up tons of times and the stars on my save file are still sparkling.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a relief then. I guess I can finally go back to trying to finish it. I swore 3D Land would take them away for too many lives lost in a single level no matter what, so it made me paranoid about this one being the same. But I might be wrong about Land.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The poo poo we do so we can say "See! I'm no pussy, I didn't need a handholding powerup to beat it! Look at my sparkling stars! :haw:"

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Silver Falcon posted:

Even if that cheat leaf shows up, as long as you don't actually take it, you don't lose your shiny stars. I've had that thing show up tons of times and the stars on my save file are still sparkling.
More precisely, I think you can even jump at the block that contains it to make the cheat leaf come out and so long as you don't actually pick it up it still won't affect anything or make your save file stars stop sparkling. Once it appears on a level, though, I don't think the cheat block will ever go away anymore, remaining forever as a mark of shame on whichever level you triggered its appearance on.

I have to say I kind of like the mechanics they decided on for the cheat block in this game, as opposed to, say, NSMBW where the guide block even just *appearing* on a level will ruin your save file stars' shine :argh: You might as well do away with the extra lives system at that point as what good is having a bunch of extra lives if just dieing five times (or whichever number, I think it's actually eight times in 3D World to make the super leaf block appear?) on the same level will put an indelible mark of shame on your save file like that :spergin:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PrBacterio posted:

Answer (in spoiler tags, since it's a spoiler): Nothing much, really; it's only for completion's sake. You do get a stamp for each character that you complete every level with, so that's five more stamps in total that you can't get any other way. Plus, a number of stars is displayed on your save file on the file selection screen depending on how much of the game you've completed: You get one for finishing the game/defeating Meowser, one for collecting all the stars and stamps in all the "regular" levels, etc. up to four stars for reaching the final world. If you complete all the levels with with all five characters each, you then get a fifth and final star to show up on your save file, and that's it.

Thanks for the info.

It's one of those maddening things that would drive me up the wall in pursuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bradzilla posted:

The poo poo we do so we can say "See! I'm no pussy, I didn't need a handholding powerup to beat it! Look at my sparkling stars! :haw:"

I just never grew out of that little kid phase of getting proud over little things like this. That, and the level is a little too frustrating for me to keep trying if I get a reward of a slightly higher number, but lose something not everyone else will have.

That's how I'm rationalizing this to myself, anyway.

• Locked thread