Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If anyone is on the European timezone, add me: CptFlaggermus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
If, right before you walk outside the museum, you go all the way back instead, you can see the earlier part of the level has been despawned and you can check out some stuff you shouldn't be able to. Kinda neat to scope out in photo mode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Megasabin posted:

The issue here is that games are a different media than movies, and I would say one of the cardinal rules of game development is that the gameplay always has to be engaging/fun. A lot of portions in the first half of the game were neither to me. I can think of several examples:

1. There were many set pieces, that essentially felt like puzzles, and if you did it "wrong", you basically ruined the set piece. A prime example of this is towards the 1st quarter of the game, I think before Pittsburgh (or maybe it was Pittsburgh?), you have to go through basically a demolished hotel/building. The layout of the hotel rooms are very packed and narrow, and one mistake means not only will you have to manfight the 2 goons near you, but the sound of the gunfire will draw out enemies from 2-3 areas away. What then ensues is a giant clusterfuck of a gun fight that to me doesn't really fit the tone or setting of the game. Joel vs. 6-7 goons, who you kill by hiding in a door frame, and shooting them as they appear is lame. Then even if you beat all those baddies, your reward is to casually stroll the rest of the hotel which is already emptied out, pretty much removing all the tension from the set piece. If you really want to experience the entire thing as a stealth/run and gun set piece, you basically have to do it "right", without alerting the entire level. I actually feel like all the Naughty Dog games suffer from this to some degree. Naughty Dog has some idea in their head on how they want their game to be played, and how they want each set piece to go, but they don't do the best job of communicating it or making it natural for it to go down that way.

2. The bit with the clickers got old really fast. Yes it was really tense walking through them the first time, and maybe even the second. They then reused the same bit too much, and it just became an annoying puzzle where you had to move through an area without touching the moving obstacles.

3. The story moves very slowly in the first half of the game. I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe you enjoyed it, but I got kind of bored.

I know I'm not the only one with these opinions. I'd say out of the 10 or so people in real life I knew who played the game, about 3-4 never made it past the first half of the game. Everyone who did was happy they pushed forward, since the second half is so great, but I don't really think it's an out there opinion to feel the first half of the game is flawed.

I think I'm just to used to the revolver. I find that in the multiplayer a good player will start zigzagging and running for corners as soon as they get hit, so getting 4-5 shots to down people is often difficult. I tend to not like the Beretta, the Enforcer, and the full auto primary gun for this reason.

I think you bring up some interesting points, and while I have responses to them in my head I am strapped for time today. I'll try to come back to them ASAP.

Megasabin posted:

More Multiplayer questions-- can someone explain certain features of a few of the perks to me:

Strategist Level 2- "Know when you've been marked and see nearby enemies on the radar." What does it mean to "see nearby enemies on the radar? Does this mean everyone? Even people standing still? Even people who have the covert operations perk? How nearby do they have to be?

Agility Level 3 - You are nearly impossible to hear while moving. Walk, climb and crouch walk very quickly. What does it mean that you are impossible to hear while moving? Does that mean you don't show up on the radar? Or it actually the physical sound of your footsteps? Does this apply even to jogging or sprinting?

The Strategist one I'm not sure of at the moment but,

Regarding Agility 3, if you see someone in listen mode you'll notice that they have an outline around their body as well as a little circle icon below their feet, representing footstep noise. People using Covert 2 can still be spotted by their little 'sound puddle', especially when vaulting over things. Agility 3 removes your 'sound puddle' but I'm not sure if it actually removes the noise your feet make; probably does.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 3, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is a bit of a slow burn after the intro, though to be fair the intro is amazing and if that doesn't grab your attention immediately nothing in the game will. The gameplay is at its weakest when it's still tutorializing stuff and the gameplay is the weakest part of the single player. It's a shame, too since the actual controls and gunplay is by far the best Naughty Dog have ever done. They just don't do much with it.

I thought much of pace in the first third of the game had to do with the complexity of the systems at play. TLOU isn't exactly a simple game; many of the gameplay mechanics may be familiar to people who play this genre often (or many games in general), but as a developer you have to make a decision on how much breathing room to allow novice players, since they don't want to completely limit their audience for the game to just veteran gamers. I knew this about ND games going in, so I played on Hard the first run.

For me, Naughty Dog did pretty good here. Much of the first third of the game is about trying to get the player used to the systems in play while simultaneously getting the player to understand trust relationships between characters for narrative purposes.

The tough part was always that trial by fire 4runners1clicker section where they make the player eat poo poo (lol) until they pass. ND didn't overstuff that section with mechanics, they just plopped you in a room with a big challenge and stated the rules that the game was going to play by. After that part the player should be well and comfortable with the controls, and it shows, too....because in the basement of the towers right after that scene you go up against 3 or 4 clickers and 2 stalkers IN THE loving DARK.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
drat, Interrogation mode owns.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JordanKai posted:

I can't fault you (or anyone else for that matter) for giving up on the game during the Pittsburgh chapter. It is without a doubt the worst part of the game. An endless string of extended fights against humans, all of which can get quite frustrating. Pittsburgh is to The Last of Us what Syria is to Uncharted 3.
I think it can only be liked if you are actually from Pittsburgh and have long waited for a video game to try to make a version of the city.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

second-hand smegma posted:

The Strategist one I'm not sure of at the moment but,

Crap. If you don't know, I'm not sure who will! Thanks for explanation of agility 3 though. I never noticed the isolated sound puddles. Ill have to look for them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is the early hard part that keeps coming up the part where you're in hedge maze kind of thing, or some kind of bushy garden area? I remember just using an explosive to take out most of them after one or two deaths. I don't remember it being too difficult.

Also any casual groups doing the normal modes? Honestly I don't mic up often and I'm not that interested in gimmick private matches but I'd like to have a group to jump into whenever you're all on. I'm not great at the game yet but I will show complete loyalty in crawling behind you, watching your rear end, and trying to keep you alive while attempting to put bullets in dudes.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 3, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think they're talking about the leaning building where you first go off on your own.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it can only be liked if you are actually from Pittsburgh and have long waited for a video game to try to make a version of the city.

ND dropped the ball on the citizens though. They got them mixed up with Philadelphia's.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I really want to play multiplayer but I can never progress past matchmaking. I really hope ND finds a fix soon cause I'm intrigued after all the positive talk in this thread.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Getting on for more MP now. Party should be up in five or so minutes for anyone who wants to join in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

jabro posted:

ND dropped the ball on the citizens though. They got them mixed up with Philadelphia's.
That and not even giving them the accent nor having them wear the Steelers uniforms and gear.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I swore I wasn't going to double dip.... Seeing all the MP chat had me missing how good the PS3 times were, so I figured, why not check my Sony Rewards points balance. Downloading now...

:argh:

I guess it's a good way to kill time until Destiny, right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Crap. If you don't know, I'm not sure who will! Thanks for explanation of agility 3 though. I never noticed the isolated sound puddles. Ill have to look for them.

Okay, so I looked it up and people who are walking will show up on radar, so it's a bit situational since the range is limited to the radar range and crouch walking invalidates it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Okay, so I looked it up and people who are walking will show up on radar, so it's a bit situational since the range is limited to the radar range and crouch walking invalidates it.

That's pretty disappointing, and definitely not worth 3 points... What are the normal radar rules anyway? I thought anyone who wasn't crouch walking shows up regardless, just at different ranges depending on the type of movement? IE: Someone walking requires you to be closer to them than someone jogging for radar detection.

Also I noticed the "sound puddles" thing today on someone who had covert ops on. What the rules for when those appear? I think I only saw it when he hopped over something.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not sure why everyone has a problem with the collapsed building section. I just got thru it without alterting any of them (just like with the PS3).

The Clicker is dormant. As long as you don't bump him or make noise, he won't see you, and you can take care of him last.

Hop down to the area. Take out the Runner right around the corner in front of you. None of them will spot you if you sneak behind him. Then turn around and go down the hallway, into the room on the left, and sneak kill the Runner when he walks in there. Take care of the other two like any other encounter - the one that walks in front of the Clicker is easiest first. Then finally sneak up to the Clicker.

Easy stuff.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
definitely looking for some guys with mics to play some MP and party up. PSN is lblitzer

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Just finished the core game and I liked it very much. I definently would recoment gettingit to anyone who is on the fence.

For the last part of the endgame, I used my upgraded flamethrower and went to town on the Fireflys. It was extremely effective and fun sneaking around the hospital and going "Boo! You're on fire!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

achillesforever6 posted:

That and not even giving them the accent nor having them wear the Steelers uniforms and gear.

Psh, no sox merch in Boston was the real stretch of believability.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megasabin posted:

That's pretty disappointing, and definitely not worth 3 points... What are the normal radar rules anyway? I thought anyone who wasn't crouch walking shows up regardless, just at different ranges depending on the type of movement? IE: Someone walking requires you to be closer to them than someone jogging for radar detection.

Also I noticed the "sound puddles" thing today on someone who had covert ops on. What the rules for when those appear? I think I only saw it when he hopped over something.

Well, it also detects on levels above and below you, so maybe worth it on maps like Highschool. The radar is actually sonar...it's detecting abnormalities in ambient sound, which, in game rules means sprinting and gunfire. Strategist 2 allows the sonar to 'hear' regular footsteps walking or running. Crouch walking is not included.

Basically, to be completely invisible you'd have to have silenced weapons, Covert 2 and Agility 3 while avoiding sprinting maneuvers. That's a lot of loadout points.

The sound puddles appear when vaulting or dropping from ledges, and I think regular walking/running. The whole idea is that not many people use Sharp Ears and the listen gauge is limited in both range, speed, and duration....so it's easy for someone to completely overlook the sound puddles.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 4, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playing against Hamburlgar is terrifying. He's like a goddamn ninja.

I thought I sucked at the PS3 version because I hated the DS3 but I just suck. It's fun though. Practice time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Playing against Hamburlgar is terrifying. He's like a goddamn ninja.

I thought I sucked at the PS3 version because I hated the DS3 but I just suck. It's fun though. Practice time.

You on right now?

I'm playin, could use backup. PSN snackytongs

edit; Holy poo poo the matchmaking infrastructure is lightning fast compared to the PS3

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 4, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I love how much people underrate the shotgun. I got a double kill with it off two bullets just by rushing a pair of guys hunkered down in cover. It's the perfect gun if you can't hit poo poo, which is me all day.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Am I missing something in photo mode cause I will be hosed if I can move the camera to give me good shots.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone up for some MP? I'm on now, psn same as here.

E: how do you join someone else's session? Or is it that people in the session have to invite you?

Puddin fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 4, 2014

Tala
Jun 17, 2002

Hey, catch me later, I'll buy you a beer.

Bigsteve posted:

Am I missing something in photo mode cause I will be hosed if I can move the camera to give me good shots.

It's not a completely free camera, you can only move it a certain radius and distance around your character. The field of view option can help a little to get closer (or futher away). Also if you're in a canned animation (e.g. boosting someone up, climbing a ladder, the upside-down bit in Bill's town) the rotational camera control is taken away from you completely. If you play around a bit you can get some cool stuff out of it though.

Here's some of mine.

Tala fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So why did they add telekenetic soldiers? I thought this was supposed to be realistic.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

So why did they add telekenetic soldiers? I thought this was supposed to be realistic.
He's one of several people who have a gene that reacts positively to the infection - giving them super-human abilities - instead of turning them into zombies. Have you even played the game, jeez, they explain it all. :rolleyes:

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How come in MP some people just walk up to me and kill me with one single punch? When I try to punch people it never works.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Womens Jeans posted:

How come in MP some people just walk up to me and kill me with one single punch? When I try to punch people it never works.

Shiv/Upgraded melee weapon I'm assuming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You on right now?

I'm playin, could use backup. PSN snackytongs

edit; Holy poo poo the matchmaking infrastructure is lightning fast compared to the PS3

Went to bed but I added you. I plan on playing a bunch tomorrow.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I've also been playing with a lot of goons the past few days. I don't recognize any of the last few guys posting here so you guys should add me. PSN is G-Whizard

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I know this is a somewhat taboo topic but has anyone bought any DLC guns and is it worth it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Might as well throw my PSN in here too: Monostat7

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The group of us that has been playing together the past weekend have a group message on PSN to alert people that parties are up more easily, so it might be helpful to get people added to that if they are interested in grouping up regularly. It is nice because it sends a notification to your phone if you have the PSN app (that can probably be disabled if it gets obnoxious).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I never played the multiplayer before, I'd like to join in if you'd have a newbie. PSN: Phorrum

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

leidend posted:

I know this is a somewhat taboo topic but has anyone bought any DLC guns and is it worth it?

I had bought the season pass for the PS3 version and I think it gave me access to a couple of weapon packs because I had a bunch of free DLC in the DLC list. One of the guns, the enforcer can be used as your primary hand gun. I was kicking serious rear end with it. It fires quickly and has a lot of stopping power. If you buy one, I would go with that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Isn't that gun available without DLC? I could have sworn I was playing with it last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

leidend posted:

You can add the downloaded weapon to your Loadout as a Purchasable, meaning you will still have to "buy" them in-game using Parts.

• Locked thread