Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah, the Opie and Jim show is already vastly different, it's entertaining enough I guess and I think most of the fans have stuck around tbh. I can't get over the fact that it really ended the way it did and how much more good material could have been had for years to come if Anthony wasn't a psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It's a pretty weak end to a show that always felt like it was going to go out in a blaze of glory.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FreeRepublic still gets a poo poo ton of money even with only a few doners. Anthony going for the Male Ann Coulter is genius. We already know he can get on Fox whenever he wants. He'll have the nationalists paying and he knows it.

poo poo the big site I get O&J/R&F from is refusing to post the Cumia show because they want him to succeed. This is probably the best thing to ever happen to him. Yes he'll be an rear end in a top hat, yes he'll look like an idiot and racist, but so is 30% of the nation, and they love him.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
While I don't doubt that a large part of America WOULD like Anthony if he could reach them, I don't think he's going to have an easy time hocking a $7 a month video podcast to the technologically inept.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tomahawk posted:

While I don't doubt that a large part of America WOULD like Anthony if he could reach them, I don't think he's going to have an easy time hocking a $7 a month video podcast to the technologically inept.

I think a bigger issue is his weird desire to be the right wing version of Hugh Hefner. I can't see the nutty Fox crowd being too down with Paltalk whores and Big A and shock jockery mixed in with their rants.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Maybe it's because I spend too much time reading the Freep thread and such, but Cumia has become a household name for right wingers, just like Zimmerman. I don't think it'll work out either but he has a huuuuge following now. I've seen crazy old white guys compare him to MLK for fucks sake. And they are always the ones that buy the next book from Coulter or Hannity. I really think he'll be fine as much as I hope that isn't the case.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Barreft posted:

poo poo the big site I get O&J/R&F from is refusing to post the Cumia show because they want him to succeed.

Fairly certain you'll be able to get the highlights from Right Wing Watch so don't feel too bad.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Okay, does anyone feel like doing a new thread for O&J and/or Ron & Fez? It feels like it's time. I'm not listening to either of the shows right now, O&A is over and I have no desire to keep up with whatever Anthony is doing. I'll keep this open until someone throws new ones up.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades

TL posted:

Okay, does anyone feel like doing a new thread for O&J and/or Ron & Fez? It feels like it's time. I'm not listening to either of the shows right now, O&A is over and I have no desire to keep up with whatever Anthony is doing. I'll keep this open until someone throws new ones up.

I don't listen to O&A (J) except for clips, same Ron and Fez, I'd rather everything stayed in the same thread honestly. I don't know if theres a forum reason to make a new one, but this seems to be doing just fine...

OlyMike fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 4, 2014

Converse41
Dec 17, 2004
I'd say wait until we find out what happens in October before making a new thread.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yeah wait until the fallout from October, but they should all be kept in the same thread because the posts are going to drop even more dramatically than they are now. Once all the comics get bored of doing O&J every morning there will be days without shows worth talking about, and Anthony's show might be even worse after a few weeks. By December I think reality is going to set in and it's gonna be slow and lovely most times.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think a bigger issue is his weird desire to be the right wing version of Hugh Hefner. I can't see the nutty Fox crowd being too down with Paltalk whores and Big A and shock jockery mixed in with their rants.
The majority of human beings are stupid. Really, really, really stupid. And an even greater number are also hypocrites. Ant will probably do just fine. It's a nice fantasy to think otherwise. People laughed at Glenn Beck and he's doing great. People are laughing at Sarah Palin now, but just you watch, she's going to reap a ton. It's stupid and frustrating, I know, but never underestimate the value of the Echo Chamber. It's the same way on the left as it is on the right. And the internet is ratcheting that up times ten. Right or left, you can decry an imaginary controlled media as the enemy, make yourself a martyr, and get people to flock to you with promises that they will hear you utter truths they will not hear elsewhere.

Even if Ant manages to drive away all his former friends with his racist insanity, new, more extreme friends will come forward to fill the void. And the usual hangers-on that define their entire lives in terms of the show will continue to support him because they'll have convinced themselves that by doing so they're "fighting the powers-that-be" and doing something important for "free speech." And the lunatic fringe will continue to flock in to fill in the void.

Best to move on. I'm not going to give Ant a dime of my money and I'm not going to even pirate his shows. I will continue to subscribe to SiriusXM because it's convenient for me; and I hope the Opie and Jimmy show--which, being honest, I've actually really enjoyed so far--continues.

In the meantime, it would be pretty great if Ant's life resembled this.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Barreft posted:

Anthony going for the Male Ann Coulter is genius.

Pump the brakes, junior. "Genius?" The "Male Ann Colter" better known as the "Sean Hannity" is abundant in the wild. Ant isn't making waves here.

bunky fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I want Anthony to succeed because he has probably made me laugh more than anyone in the last ten years, but I can't justify paying for a show where I will have to fast forward through 90 percent of it.

The only thing more boring than politics on the radio is sports talk.

Anthony's uniqueness comes from his lightning fast wit, not his angry rants, but there's barely any funny conservatives so he can probably carve out a market there.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

He advertised another guest on Twitter for Wednesday that is some news anchor that got fired over some free speech thing.

The show is going to be the bad, boring version of Ant playing the set-upon white man

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TL posted:

I guess I can do it if nobody else steps up.

The Opie & _______/Ron & ___ Megathread: I'll take a half show

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I never understand these urges to make a new thread, this one is relatively small and easy to follow.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah, no offense, but it's loving dumb.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UncleMonkey posted:

People laughed at Glenn Beck and he's doing great.
Glenn Beck built a media empire for his crazy long before he got on TV and the real mocking started here. Anthony has ???

Okay, so he won't be tin knocking, but sleeping on some fan's couch doesn't seem too far off from now. He's not even a leading name in crazy yet, and nobody is hiring talk show hosts except stupid SiriusXM. He's a fool for not taking one of the pissant offers from some schmucky radio station that he undoubtedly got the minute he got shitcanned. By the time this podcast crap peters out they won't care, and we won't care.

Where it goes after that I have no loving clue. My best guess is some psycho fan gives him a laughable job hoping to have their own personal comedian.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anthony ending up at Rockstar Games with Danny and Than would be the best ending.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
This all ends with Ant literally becoming the Deep Voice Guy, paying the bills by recording other peoples' promos from his home studio.

Keeeeith, give me your sleeve.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kevyn posted:

This all ends with Ant literally becoming the Deep Voice Guy, paying the bills by recording other peoples' promos from his home studio.

Keeeeith, give me your sleeve.

Welcome to the Opie and Jim *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart* Oh, it's in my shoes.....

Hired Black Servant, clean this up!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Call Me Charlie posted:

I guess I can do it if nobody else steps up.

The Opie & _______/Ron & ___ Megathread: I'll take a half show

Brilliant.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ant is really dumb as poo poo. We listened to him for the laughs, nothing else.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

His potential earnings are probably greater trying to be the next big right-wing personality versus going for the comedy podcast.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

His potential earnings are probably greater trying to be the next big right-wing personality versus going for the comedy podcast.

But he's legitimately funny. I get it for people with no talent but if you're an incredibly funny person, you should do a comedy podcast, not a political one. Carolla did the same thing for awhile where he pushed his podcast to be more political and it just sucks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/08/04/radio-host-fired-for-racist-tirade-resurfaces-i/200308

The hits just keep coming from Ant

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
hum I was debating this last hour whether I was going to at least try a months worth, but I guess if he's going the white supremacist route I'll just keep my 7 bux for a lovely evening at taco bell or something.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When they said that show was pro white I thought that site was aggressive editorialization . Then I read the description and it was dead on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

:stare: holy poo poo

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
what the gently caress

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Ant is mentally ill. Not only just because of his viewpoints, but the fact that he sees nothing wrong with what he's saying. In his mind, he's just saying what "everyone thinks."

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm really happy it costs Anthony $3 million/year to be a racist.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Great, five minutes into the show and there's hiss and the volume is super low. Glad he did so much testing ahead of time. :downs:

Yes, Anthony, people search for hateful people and campaign to shut them up. No, it's not going to change. This is probably for the best.

And now the video clip volume is twice as loud as him. Good job.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 4, 2014

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
"...eh, gently caress it"

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

what the gently caress

quote:

CUMIA: When you watch any of the footage of any of the Apollo programs over the years and you look at the control room of mission control, what do you see? Do you see diversity there? Honestly, let's be honest. You're seeing white males smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee at the console and putting people on the moon. How is this a horrible thing? How is this something to look at and say, "We need to change this by injecting people that do not pay attention to the laws of this country, do not assimilate to the cultures, do not work and contribute to this nation"? Why is this a good thing to then add these people into the formula to make this a great country? Diversity for the sense of just diversity is not a good thing. And when I talk about race and try to be open and honest about it in this day and age, you're chastised, you're looked at as the racist.

bean_mcbean
May 21, 2006

*** ****** ***!!

Anthony Cumia posted:

I just think one race is superior to another, how is that racist?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Obama becoming President literally broke Anthony.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I haven't listened to opie and anthony is a long while but to think that this is how it would end is kind of hilarious. I jumped ship when Patrice died and Anthony had no one to tell him he was wrong. This dude literally lost his 3/mil a year job because of his insane racist ranting and now that's his main angle.

He's not getting hired back, that's for sure. To think that this is how Opie and Anthony ends, no one would have guessed it. Honestly, if this picks up enough steam, he might head into the glenn beck network or some poo poo. Somewhere that could reinforce his racism until he dies of cancer in ten years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wonder if Ant's aware that NASA didn't start trying to hire minorities to work at the mission control center at Johnson Space Center until around the time of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and by then a lot of the people hired to work mission control duties were already there and becoming proficient at their jobs.

His idea of honesty is only what he agrees with.

• Locked thread