Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hasn't team viewer started limiting connection length on the free service? I started getting booted off after 5 mins or so with a message to buy a license. Did they roll over on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Swink posted:

Hasn't team viewer started limiting connection length on the free service? I started getting booted off after 5 mins or so with a message to buy a license. Did they roll over on that?

Not unless it's a very recent change. I was using it last weekend to play hearthstone on my main pc from a hotel on my tablet and it was fine for 30 mins to an hour.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Swink posted:

Not that I've seen. I use it to browse the internet on my local PC all the time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swink posted:

They have some kind of algorithm to check if you're using it for more than just personal use, I'm not sure how it works exactly but it's not just time based.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Not unless it's a very recent change. I was using it last weekend to play hearthstone on my main pc from a hotel on my tablet and it was fine for 30 mins to an hour.

I use it pretty much daily, and consistently get kicked off just before the connection length hits three hours. So it's not five minutes, but it's not infinite either.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Duckbill posted:

I use it pretty much daily, and consistently get kicked off just before the connection length hits three hours. So it's not five minutes, but it's not infinite either.

There is a 5 minute time limit off you use the deployable client version and do not have a license on your computer. This mostly sucks because their licensing is by computer. My work pc has my license so no problem. If I happen to be at home, I better be able to fix it in 5 minutes or less. I refuse to pay another $800 for a license.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
It drops the connection, but it doesn't close the program itself IIRC. You should just be able to type in the credentials again and rejoin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought TeamViewer was licensed by user? If I use my work-provided account then I get the Pro features regardless of what I connect to, or what machine I'm on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought TeamViewer was licensed by user? If I use my work-provided account then I get the Pro features regardless of what I connect to, or what machine I'm on.

Yeah, I use my work provided account and get all the features no matter what PC I connect to, or login to.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I use my work provided account and get all the features no matter what PC I connect to, or login to.

That may have changed in the past few years. My license is still for version 6, and it's definitely per computer. I've had multiple conversations with them about it.

I'm going to setup ScreenConnect at some point and be done with it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ive never had my free teamviewer drop any connection, and I'd gladly use it as my rdp software at work.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
A ticket wont come in till thursday. I am going to lake tahoe on vacation.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Vicas posted:

Someone in sales convinced someone higher up to buy a gong

I'm not joking

10/10 would bang

Luckily the gong we have at our office is only used when there is an impromptu whole floor meeting, which is usually on Fridays and involves beers

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Uh, well in case this isn't clear, be careful about using tools like this to access your work computers when you already have an established VPN service. It's usually against IT policy to circumvent that, as far as I have ever seen, and that's regardless of whether or not you're in your company's IT department, too.

That said, I use LogMeIn and might switch off, since my Pro trial has finally expired. For internal desktops, I use NoMachine; it's pretty fast for stuff including 3D acceleration capture, which is neat. It's not a NAT-traversing solution like LogMeIn and TeamViewer, though, so it'd be lacking for family IT and such.

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.

Gerdalti posted:

I'm going to setup ScreenConnect at some point and be done with it.

I set up ScreenConnect where I work and it's been great. I originally put it up for my group's use to help staff who were off-site and/or behind firewalls with desktop issues, but it grew in use so a lot of IT groups are now using it. Recent versions include a 'meetings' feature which is similar to WebEx, but not exactly the same thing. I think they recently added VoIP capabilities, but not video (yet).

It's a self-hosted solution so it's definitely not for everybody and also not free (though it's pretty cheap - server costs aside). Licensing is perpetual and based on session concurrency. If you have any data security concerns like HIPAA or whatnot, this should alleviate those considerably if not completely for this type of functionality since the data goes to/from your server and all traffic is encrypted.

A very similar competitor to ScreenConnect is SimpleHelp.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Has anyone used Remote Utilities before? My company is looking into getting something for remote support and pricing wise it looks very nice for a per operator license.

I may start using it for family stuff, looks like it does 10 PCs for free.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

:siren:CRITICAL PROBLEM CAME IN:siren:

Numlock is not activated on login!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Oh, God I hate those.

In the same loving day, 3 people came to me telling me Page Down didn't work. Scroll Lock on.

Same day, got called to help a board member with a password, it just wouldn't work! Caps Lock on.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

orange sky posted:

Oh, God I hate those.

In the same loving day, 3 people came to me telling me Page Down didn't work. Scroll Lock on.

Same day, got called to help a board member with a password, it just wouldn't work! Caps Lock on.

I bill 30mins for any of those. I love those.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

If I ever found myself at a job where I didn't have access to the bios, I could see submitting that ticket (though more politely and at a reasonable importance level). I ain't turning num lock on by hand like a caveman every time.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
A PC with numlock off by default is a sign of lovely IT.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

A PC with numlock off by default is a sign of lovely IT.

If only all the other vendors made standardizing the bios as easy as DELL. :argh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sickening posted:

If only all the other vendors made standardizing the bios as easy as DELL. :argh:

Or you use a GPO to push a registry change and let the OS handle it. :smugbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

deimos posted:

Or you use a GPO to push a registry change and let the OS handle it. :smugbert:

I am pretty sure I ran into this issue at one point and the group policy either only affected pre-login number lock (which turned it off after you logged in) or didn't work the same through every version of windows we had. Since we were 100% dell at the time, the dell bios utility allowed every dell model we had to be fixed without much fuss.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Had a ticket escalated from our support desk to me this morning:

"User needs password changed, wants password to be XYZ123"

Yes, my T1 put the password into the ticket :ughh:

Does seeing stupid poo poo like this for the first time get me into the cool kids club?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure I ran into this issue at one point and the group policy either only affected pre-login number lock (which turned it off after you logged in) or didn't work the same through every version of windows we had. Since we were 100% dell at the time, the dell bios utility allowed every dell model we had to be fixed without much fuss.

Well yeah, you need at least 2 rules, pre-7 and 7+, not sure if 8 changed it again.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
15 minute meeting on why I should snapshot a physical server [through VMWare]?

Ok :suicide:

I still don't think my manager understood.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

15 minute meeting on why I should snapshot a physical server [through VMWare]?

Ok :suicide:

I still don't think my manager understood.

Just smile and nod. Save yourself the frustration.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Hey I need the FedEx account number to ship Thing to Person."
"GreatBeer should have that."
"That is me. I do not have them."
"Mail Lady says she gave you the number last week."
"This did not happen. I have not talked to her since at least may."
"From our chat: great beer has to use that number to ship packages to our remote users."

It's like pulling teeth with these people. Just give me the goddamn number. :cripes:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A job offer came in!

I just celebrated my first year at my current job last week. Today I got an e-mail from a company that I applied to for a systems administrator job one year and two months ago.

Out of curiosity, I called them and inquired about the position. "IT Support Technician," an offer of half of what I currently make, and since it looks like the last name of everyone in a management position is the same as the company, it looks like little to no chance for advancement.

Thanks, but no thanks, I'll just sit here and babysit this NT domain.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Your loss, I bet you'd be a great culture fit

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Most of our users are on the kind of laptops where numlock turns the right half of the keyboard into a number pad. gently caress numlock. I wish there was a way you could set up Windows to tell you when numlock was on at the login screen like it does with capslock. It wouldn't be needed on desktops but would be nice on laptops, since apparently the green indicator light isn't enough for most people.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

Most of our users are on the kind of laptops where numlock turns the right half of the keyboard into a number pad. gently caress numlock. I wish there was a way you could set up Windows to tell you when numlock was on at the login screen like it does with capslock. It wouldn't be needed on desktops but would be nice on laptops, since apparently the green indicator light isn't enough for most people.
Dunno what manufacturer you go with, but this is a configurable option in the BIOS for Dell laptops.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I wish I had this individuals' back-and-forth with my boss in ticket form.... but our lead sales guy requested that he purchase an LED sign to replace our banner that advertises our sales figures.

my boss and everybody else are all horrified by how tacky it looks, I'm reasonably certain it'll be getting returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FSkau6ZhI

:smithicide:

Huge disaster.

Everybody in upper management LOVES the sign. What's worse, the gaudy animations and text wipes were their favorite part. The sign is going up. (A replacement, that is, this one has a dead pixel)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Knormal posted:

I like when Windows says "ALERT: Capslock is OFF!!" when you go to enter a password. As if Capslock being off has ever caused someone to mistype a password ever.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

wa27 posted:

I like when Windows says "ALERT: Capslock is OFF!!" when you go to enter a password. As if Capslock being off has ever caused someone to mistype a password ever.

One of our dudes uses Capslock instead of shift to type individual capital letters. It drives me nuts to watch him type.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wa27 posted:

I've never seen that, I've only ever seen the alert when you turn caps lock on.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

One of our dudes uses Capslock instead of shift to type individual capital letters. It drives me nuts to watch him type.

I saw my first one of these in the wild the other day. I don't understand the reasoning for it, especially since this guy hit the caps lock key, then held his hand over it, then hit it again, so it's not like he just can't handle typing with his other hand.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had a day trip to SF last Thursday. Grabbed some photos of my wanderings:

Here's a fine piece of real estate. Would make a great office for an I.T. Manager! That little nook is a dead end.

I love wall notes:

I pretended I didn't see this:

I also pretended I didn't see this:

You say water's been leaking into the basement of this 100+ year old building? How bad could it be?

:gonk:

You quirky NorCal types with your oddball foreign cars. Must be some sort of Volvo:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

You quirky NorCal types with your oddball foreign cars. Must be some sort of Volvo:

Duckboard are awesome :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

:eng101: That'll be one of these

• Locked thread