Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its all fun and games until the first NFL team goes on defense and Polamalu accidentally kills the NCAA QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sash! posted:

Its all fun and games until the first NFL team goes on defense and Polamalu accidentally kills the NCAA QB

Gonna happen September 7th.

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Look, I'm fine with the multiple concussions and traumatic brain injury, but hell if I'm going to sleep on an airplane 8 nights a year!

You've obviously never held a job where you had to travel internationally often.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Bort Bortles posted:

Richmond
Raleigh

The Carolina Panthers are too close to have a team in Raleigh. Could Richmond really support a team? I hope they don't expand.

Toaster Beef posted:

'Traveling for business' sounded awesome when I first got hired at the last place I was in, but four years later I was ready to hurl myself into traffic whenever I had to travel somewhere.
Man this is the truest thing ever. I remember in college 'traveling for work' sounded so loving awesome, but by the time I was in my 90th windowless conference room with 3 other people and eating at Chili's for the 5th straight day because 'everyone can agree on it' I wanted to grab the steering wheel and aim for the nearest tree.

To all you young guys about to graduate college, don't do it!

edit

I think the real problem with an international franchise is not the game travel, it is living in another country. Look how much trouble the Toronto Raptors have and Toronto may as well be in America distance wise. It is the currency problems, exchange rate, tax issues, etc.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 3, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

I think the real problem with an international franchise is not the game travel, it is living in another country. Look how much trouble the Toronto Raptors have and Toronto may as well be in America distance wise. It is the currency problems, exchange rate, tax issues, etc.

Yeah, man, like... 0 companies venture into international markets because currency exchange rates and regional taxation are a giant morass of numbers. :pseudo:

Risk vs Reward, baby... they've got great white sharks that jump out of the water and loving crocodiles in other counties.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, man, like... 0 companies venture into international markets because currency exchange rates and regional taxation are a giant morass of numbers. :pseudo:

I've heard the NHL uses a secret cabal of wizards to manage all that stuff.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

davecrazy posted:

It would be cool if the NFL developed a new Concorde to facilitate a London team. That would be pretty baller.

Good luck. Boeing and Airbus have both been incredibly stubborn on their "no supersonic flight" rule, and that's from their brand development people.

Miami wouldn't be moving anytime soon. Our attendance is rather mediocre, but we have much bigger market share than Tampa or Jacksonville. The Jaguars aren't moving though, and people who keep spouting that same tired joke with any degree of sincerity are straight up nuts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I've heard the NHL uses a secret cabal of wizards to manage all that stuff.

Well that league is mostly Canadians. The issue in other sports is that it's been really hard for them to attract or retain free agents, although that wouldn't be as big an issue in the NFL with the way the cap is set up. There is still the issue of no one there caring about football

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Chilichimp posted:

drat the Supreme Court was right, companies and individuals are the same!

When IBM opens an office in Munich it doesn't ship an office full of people from Toledo there

edit
I thought about how the NHL does not have trouble, but under 20% of the league is American anyway (according to Google) so it is not really the same situation

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 3, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

drat the Supreme Court was right, companies and individuals are the same!

Sir, I rebut your snarkiness with the incomparable Captain Torpedo.

Ribsauce posted:

When IBM opens an office in Munich it doesn't ship an office full of people from Toledo there

edit
I thought about how the NHL does not have trouble, but under 20% of the league is American anyway (according to Google) so it is not really the same situation

Also, yeah, a lot of people form Toledo fly to Munich for week/months at a time while the office is ramping up, and likely dozens of people from America fly there every year to facilitate blahblahblahblahblahblah...

Football is going to be on TV in like 7 hours.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 3, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

edit

I thought the NHL did have a fair amount of trouble and that was part of the reason why almost all the Canadian teams are bad, but I can't pretend to have any real idea what I'm talking about.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

Well that league is mostly Canadians. The issue in other sports is that it's been really hard for them to attract or retain free agents, although that wouldn't be as big an issue in the NFL with the way the cap is set up. There is still the issue of no one there caring about football
The Blue Jays have never had that issue, honestly. We're mainly talking about the Raptors, and they have the same problem all but like 6 teams in the NBA have, and a lot of the problem with retaining guys is because the franchise has been one of the worst run in sports since it's inception.

Grittybeard posted:

I thought the NHL did have a fair amount of trouble and that was part of the reason why almost all the Canadian teams are bad, but I can't pretend to have any real idea what I'm talking about.
The Canadian teams are really mismanaged right now but they have no problem regarding free agents. Even with American players.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Canadian teams are really mismanaged right now but they have no problem regarding free agents. Even with American players.

This. Vancouver won our stupid division like 800 times in a row and were always in contention for the cup.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Devil's advocate here, but I personally haven't had any negative experiences at the Coliseum. I grew up in San Leandro in a neighborhood within sight of the place, and had a good time at both the A's and Raiders games. The staff's really friendly there, too. Still go to a couple games each year.

That said, I think the best option for the A's would be to build a new stadium in Jack London Square, which sits on the other side of the bay. There's a lot of unoccupied commercial space there where there used to be a mall, and there's plenty of hotels up the street on Broadway. FDR's yacht is parked there, too, which a lot of people don't know about. I can easily imagine them tilting up a nice little park like the Giants have there to revitalize downtown.

Then we could just fix up the Coliseum and maintain it as a football stadium only. Problem solved.

It requires a ton of money, of course, but hey, so would any solution.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Toaster Beef posted:

'Traveling for business' sounded awesome when I first got hired at the last place I was in, but four years later I was ready to hurl myself into traffic whenever I had to travel somewhere.

I mean I fly around 75 hours a year and drive even more voluntarily and don't mind it at all :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The biggest issue with games in Europe isn't even the travel time, as long as you schedule the game right before or after a bye week. It's the time zones. EST is 5 hours different from GMT. If you want the stadium in London to be full of fans, you have to schedule the game at a reasonable hour, but any team based there would have a massive advantage over players who are all jetlagged halfway to gently caress. At least coming from the UK back to the US is in the favorable timezone direction (that is, you're up early and can handle a 10AM kickoff time as though it were an evening game for you).

This is the same reason Hawaii isn't getting a team.

Talking about companies expanding internationally is drat stupid, because when you travel to Germany for work, you're jetlagged to gently caress for a couple days but can gradually adjust (you're not having to practice scrimmage) and you probably stay for more than three days, so you can acclimate and then work OK for a week or however long you're there.

Having said all that, the NFL does want to keep doing occasional games in London, if for no other reason than to court a new audience there to watch NFL games on pay-per-view or whatever. It's a fun gimmick but it's not going to go anywhere.

I'd love to see the NFL expand. I'd be happy to see the divisional system scrapped for something more balanced (NFC > AFC to an embarrassing degree right now) and homologation would be interesting (a true minor league might allow a lot of cities/states with no team to build a more modest stadium and attract fans without having to pull an A-level team).

Regarding the A's and the Raiders, I really do hope they can at least stay in the East Bay, if not Oakland. A big problem with moving to San Jose is that BART doesn't go to San Jose at all, which means fans in the East bay have to either BART to the peninsula and then transfer to CalTrain (which would be like a 2+ hour trip each way), or drive down 880/680 which sucks rear end.

Maybe some city like Fremont or Walnut Creek could come to the rescue.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ribsauce posted:

Could Richmond really support a team?

The NFL would never allow it. Washington's market has already had large chunks cleaved out of it over the last twenty years; putting a team in Richmond would shrink it to literally just DC. Meanwhile, the Richmond team would have a potential market of maybe 4-5 million people. Both markets would be tiny and full of transplants with pre-existing allegiances. Virginia is just not a big enough state to support two NFL teams.

Plus Richmond couldn't even get its poo poo together to keep its AAA team.

More obvious places to put another team include Los Angeles, Austin / San Antonio, Charleston, and Birmingham. You probably couldn't do both Charleston and Birmingham without pissing off Atlanta, though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

The NFL would never allow it. Washington's market has already had large chunks cleaved out of it over the last twenty years; putting a team in Richmond would shrink it to literally just DC. Meanwhile, the Richmond team would have a potential market of maybe 4-5 million people. Both markets would be tiny and full of transplants with pre-existing allegiances. Virginia is just not a big enough state to support two NFL teams.

Plus Richmond couldn't even get its poo poo together to keep its AAA team.

More obvious places to put another team include Los Angeles, Austin / San Antonio, Charleston, and Birmingham. You probably couldn't do both Charleston and Birmingham without pissing off Atlanta, though.

Oh, you could. I'm pretty sure almost no one gives a gently caress about the Falcons outside of Atlanta. The South is the citadel of College Football. I doubt a pro team could even catch on in Alabama because of the Crimson Tide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People watch and care about college ball because they have no pro team nearby. There, I said it. :colbert:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

People watch and care about college ball because they have no pro team nearby. There, I said it. :colbert:

College ball fandom is too entrenched at this point. The Falcons aren't even the most popular football team in their state.

The NFL missed the boat by about 60 years on getting pro teams going all over the South. Of course back then, there really was only 1 city worth putting a team in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

Saying a wrong thing out loud doesn't make it right all of a sudden.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Could Iowa support a team?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Could Iowa support a team?

Corn stalks are pretty rigid, so, maybe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

The only places I can think of with heavy college team participation but no pro team are like Alabama/Mississippi and like Oklahoma/Kansas (though the latter has the Chiefs I guess). Everywhere else either has a team, or doesn't really like football.

(There's also like Oregon but their and Oregon State's success have been a very very recent phenomenon)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

College ball fandom is too entrenched at this point. The Falcons aren't even the most popular football team in their state.

The NFL missed the boat by about 60 years on getting pro teams going all over the South. Of course back then, there really was only 1 city worth putting a team in.

And yet! The Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars are both popular teams in their regions.

I agree actually that college ball is well-entrenched, but I think the NFL can steal Sunday eyeballs anyway. It's very helpful that college ball is played on Saturday.

There's room. I think you could put teams in oklahoma city, phoenix, salt lake city, raleigh, los angeles (maybe two teams there), portland, sacramento, maybe memphis or little rock, boston, columbus, and hell, let's also do toronto and montreal (canadian rules football is weird but there are fans of it in canada who would probably watch NFL style football).

That'd be as many as 12 or so expansion teams potentially. Let's call it 8, add an additional division to each of the two conferences, or just break up the divisions and conferences and let's have 20 teams in a A-level and 20 teams in a B-level with homologation!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

And yet! The Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars are both popular teams in their regions.
Houston's a bit different because there already was a team there for decades, so there was already a natural love of pro football in the city. Plus the actual college teams in the city of Houston (and even in College Station just an hour or so away) at the time were nothing special, though they're obviously better now.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was shocked seeing so many Watt jerseys after moving to Houston, I honestly thought it would go something like Dallas>A&M>>>>>Texans

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Watt is basically the first coming of Clowney to the Houston residents.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's not like Alabama fans would have to stop rooting for Alabama just because Birmingham got an NFL team. There are plenty of other places with huge college allegiances that still turn out for pro games, in both football and other sports. 80% of the evidence for the idea that the South doesn't care about the NFL seems to based around the fact that nobody roots for the Falcons, which just might have other explanations, like having never strung together two consecutive good seasons until 2011-2012.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm positing that the major difference between those places and the South is a long running tradition of fan loyalty to those teams along with the college teams. A new franchise in Mobile, for instance, would falter and almost certainly fail... people just won't follow it unless it's doing well. In like 40 years, though, who knows?

This is all bullshit, the Panthers/Texans/Jaguars are doing fine, although they were all a running joke for a while until they turned a corner. I'm just spewing poo poo that's all assumption, an Alabama pro-franchise might be more profitable than the Cowboys, who the gently caress knows... I seriously doubt Alabama or Mississippi ever get a pro football team.

Do either of them have a pro sports team of any of the big 4? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL? I don't think they do.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 4, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chilichimp posted:

Do either of them have a pro sports team of any of the big 4? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL? I don't think they do.

There's some stuff in Tennessee but that's about it.

Louisiana also but everything there is in New Orleans.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

Watt is basically the first coming of Clowney to the Houston residents.

More like the second coming of Reggie White. It seems unfair to compare a (on track to be) future Hall of Famer to a rookie who hasn't played a down yet.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eh, you could say that about comparing Reggie White to a 3rd year player too, even though those three years have been pretty amazing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You really can't compare Watt to anyone but Watt.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Watt is a god drat super-hero.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Random thing I just learned (or forgot and was reminded of) about Reggie White looking him up just now, he had 21 sacks in 12 games in 1987. That was the strike year but I don't think he broke the picket line to play against scabs if I'm reading things right.

Yeah in the end Watt is Watt and White was White.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

Charleston metropolitan area doesn't even break a million people. Also there's a reason why they are called the Carolina Panthers instead of the North Carolina Panthers. They are meant to represent both states.

Birmingham is firmly entrenched in college football territory, and again your looking at a metropolitan area of around 1 million. There's bigger media markets for the NFL to move too.

It's never going to happen. Portland is somewhat notorious around here for not wanting to fund a large stadium, and any team would struggle to build a fanbase out of the apathetic hipsters who live around there. It's a wonder they even have an NBA team, and an even bigger wonder they have an MLS team (though I guess soccer is getting kinda popular with hipsters for the time being).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

There's room. I think you could put teams in oklahoma city, phoenix, salt lake city, raleigh, los angeles (maybe two teams there), portland, sacramento, maybe memphis or little rock, boston, columbus, and hell, let's also do toronto and montreal (canadian rules football is weird but there are fans of it in canada who would probably watch NFL style football).

I don't see a Sacramento team being able to attract and hold a fanbase. Everyone there is already either a Niners or a Raiders fan.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I thought you had to be a big city to have an NFL team. People are tossing around Mobile and Charleston. Neither even break 200k. Richmond barely does (if it even does, I don't know). Little Rock, are you serious?
Raleigh is half a million (double all those cities), has a good economy, and I would not think we would have a chance at a team, and that is before factoring in the Carolina Panthers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ribsauce posted:

I thought you had to be a big city to have an NFL team.

Green Bay Wisconsin

• Locked thread