Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

So Bipolar manic phase, time and boredom equals bad... My 106 needed a new bonnet, or it wrapping or painting. I kinda just sprayed it matt black, with white stripes with metallic silver between the 2. I had one can of white, one black and yeah one silver. Its looks so poo poo its awesome. Pics inbound when its dry enough to get rid of the masking tape.

Its loving horrendous and the mrs will probably not drive in it anymore :)

Vinyl wrapping is so simple even an autistic child can get a good finish.

Mine, of course, looked like rear end, but I guess that was kind of the point of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So i had this burger at a premium burger place they called 'the real baconator.' It was a half pound patty hand formed with bacon chunks and cheddar crumbles rolled into the meat, with bacon, bacon bits, bacon flavored aioli, and topped on the bun with a tempura batter fried strip of bacon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It was nice knowing you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I was going to hook up the power lead for my amp to the battery in my Miata, and I was kinda shocked to see the terminal clamp nut was completely covered in a metalic corrosion, not the terminal at all, just the nut was buried in it. I chipped away at it and finally exposed the nut, and when I tried to put a socket on it, it quickly stripped so I ended up having to use a channel lock to get it off. There was pretty much nothing left of it and I've never seen anything like it, how the hell did that happen?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

battery got hot, vented gas, that gas reacted with the metal.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Here it is! The masking tape decided to remove a load of paint and also the paint ran under it. Having said that I dig it and it pusses the mrs off something chronic!

http://i.imgur.com/rBZkqFN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vw3ix3z.jpg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah that corrosion is sulfuric acid reacting with copper in the metal (or lead, aluminum, etc.), forms all kinds of lovely compounds; copper/lead/aluminum sulfate (depending what the terminal is made of), copper hydroxide and copper carbonate from the wires, etc. And they're all green-white powders that turn to loving concrete when they get wet and dry.

Get a new battery. AGM if budget's not tight, they're vibration-resistant and less prone to leakage. And get some of those felt pads to put on the posts.

A good scrub with some baking soda/water paste should clean up the other terminal if it's nasty too, as well as any green poo poo in the cable so you have a clean connection for the new terminal (rereading I guess just the nut stripped, but it's like $3 for a new terminal, cheap insurance).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

thegasman2000 posted:

Here it is! The masking tape decided to remove a load of paint and also the paint ran under it. Having said that I dig it and it pusses the mrs off something chronic!

http://i.imgur.com/rBZkqFN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vw3ix3z.jpg

Is this what people mean when they say you're a "chav"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Careful with that poo poo, too, the powders in that corrosion are incredibly toxic and also really quite soluble in water. Wash your hands with vinegar and then with soap after handling lead; using soap alone won't actually dissolve any lead residue on your skin which will then be dissolved by your sweat and possibly ingested.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Not really just a loving idiot! I already knew I would be wrapping or painting matt black so decided to troll the mrs and nosy complaining neighbours!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That looks like chalk on chalkboard paint.

Please tell me that's chalk on chalkboard paint.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Is there an in-joke or something? I don't get it. Making your car look like a 16 year old's first attempt at modz doesn't strike me as something that would really stick it to your neighbors.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Is there an in-joke or something? I don't get it. Making your car look like a 16 year old's first attempt at modz doesn't strike me as something that would really stick it to your neighbours.

My neighbours have been reporting me to the housing association for stupid poo poo like having no tax, disc was right there. Having an unroadworthy vehicle and spilling oil on my loving parking space. They will be loving savage I dare to park a non mint loving eco box in my space. Also did i mention i was bored and only had enough paint if i used 3 colours.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Is there an in-joke or something? I don't get it. Making your car look like a 16 year old's first attempt at modz doesn't strike me as something that would really stick it to your neighbors.

Yeah well that's just like your OPINION man. Fight the power!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not saying I don't understand HOW you did it, I'm just confused as to why. I don't think adding silver stripes onto the hood of your car in spraypaint is the best way to make your neighbors think you're a reasonable guy. If anything now you've made your car look extra poo poo so they're probably only going to try harder to get you in some trouble.

Then again this is AI, it doesn't need to make sense. Godspeed in your neighbor-annoying endeavours.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

We need to start a grassroots campaign to send Sony XPLOD and/or Jensen equipment to the UK.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
We have Sony XLOD poo poo here. Its a few days will I can afford a vinyl wrap for the bonnet, by the time their complaint is in it will be wrapped and I can :smuggo:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I recommend a set of these STAT

http://www.slickcar.com/z3-fenders.asp

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Yeah that corrosion is sulfuric acid reacting with copper in the metal (or lead, aluminum, etc.), forms all kinds of lovely compounds; copper/lead/aluminum sulfate (depending what the terminal is made of), copper hydroxide and copper carbonate from the wires, etc. And they're all green-white powders that turn to loving concrete when they get wet and dry.

Get a new battery. AGM if budget's not tight, they're vibration-resistant and less prone to leakage. And get some of those felt pads to put on the posts.

A good scrub with some baking soda/water paste should clean up the other terminal if it's nasty too, as well as any green poo poo in the cable so you have a clean connection for the new terminal (rereading I guess just the nut stripped, but it's like $3 for a new terminal, cheap insurance).

The terminals weren't corroded at all though, that's the weird part. It was just the nut, like there was something in the nut that had a bad reaction. I had those little pads on it and they were clean. I also scrubbed the terminal clamp with baking soda and water so hopefully all the poo poo is out, but I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I've dealt with battery corrosion a million times, I've just never seen anything like that before.

Also I didn't touch any lead so I should be fine :)

[edit] Would wrapping the battery in some radiant heat insulation (reflectix) help keep it cooler?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 4, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Also order THIS

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Needs some stickers too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's so horrid, it's... horrid. :cry:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

My neighbours have been reporting me to the housing association for stupid poo poo like having no tax, disc was right there. Having an unroadworthy vehicle and spilling oil on my loving parking space. They will be loving savage I dare to park a non mint loving eco box in my space. Also did i mention i was bored and only had enough paint if i used 3 colours.
Ohohoho, you think that will piss them off?

Free to collect!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reckon you could tack some box section to that to make a ladder frame then wedge my e46 tdi driveframe under it? That'd make my ideal landy :haw:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Europeanized late-model Jeep rat rod... that would be way too cool to not do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Reckon you could tack some box section to that to make a ladder frame then wedge my e46 tdi driveframe under it? That'd make my ideal landy :haw:
Chassis is still under it!

Tommychu posted:

Oh no you loving didn't...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Chassis is still under it!

So what's missing other than wheels and axles?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Engine, gearbox, suspension, engine mounts, anything that was sufficiently rusty to fall off, got in my way while stripping it, or looked at me funny.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 207 days!)

Cakefool posted:

conductive wiring, mechanical parts

InitialDave posted:

Engine, gearbox, suspension, engine mounts, anything that was sufficiently rusty to fall off, got in my way while stripping it, or looked at me funny.

E: Called it :q:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

Its not a Jeep. Its a Land Rover. A far superior vehicle that is better at piddling oil and breaking poo poo than a meager Jeep. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not leaking oil. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy crap did she drive a lot of cars today.

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2007 Toyota Matrix 49K miles.
2011 Honda Civic 56K miles. (yuck)
2011 Ford Fiesta 39K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

She really seemed to like the xB the best. The dealer wants to move the car, price would be pretty close to $12K. Is this a terrible idea?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's only because you took all the parts with oil in them out of it, and there wasn't enough floorboard left to re-leak residual leakage.

I know, because that is what happens to my jeeps.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

She really seemed to like the xB the best. The dealer wants to move the car, price would be pretty close to $12K. Is this a terrible idea?

What was the price? That seems like it would be the best combination of having some space and reliability. I personally don't care for the car, but its just a Toyota, so it should be reliable and boring. The miles seem spot on for the age, about 12k miles a year.

Any other history on it?

InitialDave posted:

It's not leaking oil. :colbert:
Give it a few days.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

Seems like some sort of corolla chassis is in her future.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Oh no you loving didn't...
Actually, no. I didn't.
People rat-rod Jeeps sometimes. Landies are fairly close in concept to Jeeps, and certainly the closest (non-obscure) thing to a Jeep I can think of that comes from Europe (other than the G-class Merc but those are in a bit of a different class IMO). I'm saying the proposed idea would be a Euro version of the concept of a rat-rod Jeep. Which has very little in common other than the tub itself with a proper Jeep.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What was the price? That seems like it would be the best combination of having some space and reliability. I personally don't care for the car, but its just a Toyota, so it should be reliable and boring. The miles seem spot on for the age, about 12k miles a year.

Any other history on it?

Give it a few days.

It's on the lot for $15K. Salesman is a friend of a friend and let me know they've had it a while. We found a bunch of cars for between $12K and $13K today. That's her sweet spot, she doesn't want to go nuts on spending because she wants to pay my mother back and her student loans come due soon.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

2010 Scion xB 50K miles.
2009 Scion xA 47K miles.
2010 Corolla 69K miles.

Buy none of those

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Buy none of those

Better suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010