Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've said before, but it's a shame the mechanics and other characters are so bad, because Serika's quite nice and Emi isn't that bad either. Seriously though, your not-girlfriend thinks you're weird for wearing the gloves she knit for you in loving November? Lame.

Out of curiosity, what's "Anego" mean? Or what are the connotations, if it doesn't have an easy equivalent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anego is an informal way of saying "big sister," generally used in the same context that Aniki is used to mean "Bro."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Serika reacting negatively to the mittens she made has got to be the most hilarious thing yet. It seems like such a simple thing to get right, and yet TM3 fucks it up.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Waffleman_ posted:

Anego is an informal way of saying "big sister," generally used in the same context that Aniki is used to mean "Bro."

Yeah, like Aniki it implies she's the leader of the gang you're in.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Or what are the connotations, if it doesn't have an easy equivalent?

It's a mildly outdated way to refer to the boss of a female gang. Aniki/Big Bro kinda has the same connotation when used in a non-familial context.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can see why Goon might think to call her that, then. Though I can also see why she might not appreciate it, especially coming from someone she's interested in.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Tokimemo 3, chapter 10: And they were never heard from again

[i]So, the good news is that as of the start of this post, Tokimemo 3 is over halfway done.

The bad news is, unlike other Tokimemos, year 1.5 through year 3 is still an uphill struggle. The bombs come fast and furious, and the game is still Tokimeki Memorial 3.

The worst Tokimemo. The worst game.

What drives me insane is that many of these systems did make it into Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, which was in development at the same time, for a much lower budget. For example, if you're at high affection with a guy character, they will give you an accessory for White Day/ Your Birthday, and will recognize it if you wear it on a date.

Though as an American, I am jealous that there's a Halloween candy event in TM3, and not any of the Girl's Side games. :colbert:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I just got done bum-rushing this thread. After how awesome TM1 and 2 were, TM3 is such a huge disappointment.

AT LEAST Serika is proving to be the best possible choice in this broken rear end game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Catalina posted:

What drives me insane is that many of these systems did make it into Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, which was in development at the same time, for a much lower budget. For example, if you're at high affection with a guy character, they will give you an accessory for White Day/ Your Birthday, and will recognize it if you wear it on a date.

Well, I'm glad it showed up somewhere.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

I'm halfway tempted to take on Tokimemo Girl's Side immediately after TM3 is finally dead and gone so, but there is still Tokimemo 4 to get to, and Tokimemo 2 to cleanse the palate with.

You know, it's been a long time since this thread was interactive, and during a slump like this it'll be nice to know what I have to look forward to.

So, what game should be played next in this LP? 2, 4, or Girl's Side?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'd almost vote for 2 if only to continue the Hikari joke, but seriously TM4. Let's keep on trucking.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Look man we can't go to TM4 until we've dated Kamen Rider.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
C'mon, Girls Side. Wanna see those anime hunks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd almost vote for 2 if only to continue the Hikari joke, but seriously TM4. Let's keep on trucking.

There is no joke about Hikari needing her time in the sun, son. :colbert:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You should take a break from the bad and play Girl's Side.

We need to chase some pants.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Either Girls' Side or a Homura run is fine with me, but we need to get as far away from TM3 as we can ASAP.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You know, both Serika and Mari deserve to be in better games than this

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

inthesto posted:

You know, both Serika and Mari deserve to be in better games than this

Yeah, Serika is really nice, actually. I already like her a lot more than Miho/Maho. What a shame about being in this game, though - A true career-ender.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Sheep, you ever get your hands on the Girls Side games or do you need me to shoot my copies your way?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoubleDonut posted:

Look man we can't go to TM4 until we've dated Kamen Rider.

One person with common sense here!

C'mon vibratingsheep, you've suffered enough, after this you really should have a fun time with Kamen Rider. Even if the girl was the one acceptable thing in this piece of poo poo game!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

This is the main reason Emi is a useful character. She knows what Serika thinks - and is probably the only one. She also isn't at the point where she bombs instantly upon asking stuff about Serika. But that will come soon, unfortunately. There's still an Emi bomb ready to go off.

Not only that, but she's actually starting to rival Serika in affection, thanks to all of the time Goon spends doing aikido. We'll have to work on that.
I'm probably thinking too much into this, but I notice that the "ranks" of affection seems to be slightly different depending on the person you ask.

Is it just their own interpenetration of each rank progression? Like Emi would think that you'd have to work a little harder (because she has an extra neutral rank) and the other (Yukiko I'm guessing) has one extra happy/love rank.

Again, I'm probably just looking too much in this. That tends to happen whenever I see a minute difference.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Jenner posted:

Sheep, you ever get your hands on the Girls Side games or do you need me to shoot my copies your way?

I have the first PS2 game in hand thanks to a friend.

e: Oops, got the number wrong.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Mine are the Nintendo DS versions anyway. Bonus: the DS versions (according to the walkthrough I use) has a few extra CGs here and there which, if you go the routes that have them, I'll post up for ya.

If I can figure out how to screen capture on a 3/ds... :argh:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Sketchie posted:

I'm probably thinking too much into this, but I notice that the "ranks" of affection seems to be slightly different depending on the person you ask.

Is it just their own interpenetration of each rank progression? Like Emi would think that you'd have to work a little harder (because she has an extra neutral rank) and the other (Yukiko I'm guessing) has one extra happy/love rank.

It's slightly different based on who you ask because whoever they don't know about is grayed out. If they don't know someone very well, their status stays grayed out with a date noting the last time the information was accurate. I spent a long time with just Takuo/Masaki's info from the first day of class.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I was going to vote TM4, but Girl's Side seems to be winning, so I'll jump on that :bandwagon:
(Really, though, my True Vote is for whatever Sheep wants to do the most, because Tokimeki Memorial 3 is an awful, awful game.)

If Girl's Side ends up winning, I think the contrast would make it a good change of pace for this LP. I think a run of each of the three 1 and 3 would be the best choices, too. TMGS1 because it would show what was done with some of the development funds. TMGS3 because it's an genuinely fun game to play which includes a lot of gameplay derived from added systems that have been tested and tweaked over 3 games. Which makes it the polar opposite of TM3 in that regard.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vibratingsheep posted:

It's slightly different based on who you ask because whoever they don't know about is grayed out. If they don't know someone very well, their status stays grayed out with a date noting the last time the information was accurate. I spent a long time with just Takuo/Masaki's info from the first day of class.

I think he means the faces across the top, showing the order. You'll notice that row of all possible faces is different between the two screenshots. The one slightly above neutral in one shot also has a neutral expression, whereas the one in the same position is smiling in the other, etc.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

I think he means the faces across the top, showing the order. You'll notice that row of all possible faces is different between the two screenshots. The one slightly above neutral in one shot also has a neutral expression, whereas the one in the same position is smiling in the other, etc.

Oh, the slight differences in facial expression? That's because they're animated, that's all.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I don't know if this has been answered before but have any of these games besides the Girl's Side games been translated, fan patch or otherwise?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lazaruise posted:

I don't know if this has been answered before but have any of these games besides the Girl's Side games been translated, fan patch or otherwise?

They are in fact the only Tokimemo games to get fan translation patches.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

They are in fact the only Tokimemo games to get fan translation patches.

Well that's a little disappointing, I should of learned another language in high school. Oh well.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Also voting Girls' Side, I want to see all these broken game mechanics done right.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
I vote Girl's Side for the, uh, questionable love interest.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Niel posted:

I vote Girl's Side for the, uh, questionable love interest.

He's going to get Goon Rush voted for so hard.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Jenner posted:

He's going to get Goon Rush voted for so hard.

Not gonna happen. Won't let it.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Girls Side is my vote, as long as we do Tokimeki 4 afterwards.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Now I have to know. Is it the principal?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vibratingsheep posted:

Aww, man... at least tell us about it!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

Thank you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I have to know. Is it the principal?

Yes. At least the Teacher is properly disapproving and discouraging of any pursuit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Since it's not going to happen, I think I can just out say it without spoiler tags. One of the pursuits in Girls Side is the goddamn principal of the school. He's like 40 and super clingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, I was thinking of the principal in TM2. I would vote for him so hard.

• Locked thread