Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Contra Duck posted:

Think of it as an article about Australia's future prime ministers.

(yeah it was real boring)

Honestly I found it kind of an interesting insight into the factional structure of the NSW Libs, and normally stupol bores me to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

quote:

Mr Scales found the ACCC "overstepped its authority" when it advised Labor that connecting the broadband fibre through street terminals, or nodes, was not a stepping-stone policy towards linking fibre directly to homes.

"What is extraordinary is that the ACCC, which is not an engineering consulting firm or expert in this regard at all, gave that advice and what is even more remarkable, frankly, is the Government took it," Mr Turnbull said.

It is extraordinary that a government agency would provide advice that is the truth, and it's even more amazing that the ALP would follow that advice (that is the truth)!!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Murodese posted:

It is extraordinary that a government agency would provide advice that is the truth, and it's even more amazing that the ALP would follow that advice (that is the truth)!!

You and I both know that unless the person giving you advice is making money from giving said advice, they can't be trusted.

Nothing helps remove bias and ensure truth like paying someone to tell you something - look at our proud, wonderful, and economically successful free private press.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Presumably the government will come out condemning Leibler Yavneh College as a breeding ground for violent religious extremists who leave Australia to fight in foreign wars. I am also assuming that the two Australian citizens injured while assisting in the murder of children will be denied re-entry to the country and have their citizenship stripped.

quote:

Two former students of a Jewish school in Melbourne have been wounded while fighting for the Israeli army in Gaza.

Sam Gosling and Daniel Wein, both 22, are recovering from recent injuries sustained during the conflict between Israel and Hamas that has lasted almost four weeks.

The combat soldiers are former students of Leibler Yavneh College in Elsternwick, and are believed to have been a year level apart. Both are reportedly expected to recover.

Mr Gosling, who left Caulfield for Israel last year, was hit by shrapnel from a missile in late July.

A close friend, Toby Azoulay, said it was extremely distressing to see a photo surface on social media showing Mr Gosling in a hospital bed. "It was very upsetting ... very confronting," he said.

Mr Gosling was born in New Zealand, but his family moved to Melbourne in 2008.

He was involved in the Zionist youth movement, Bnei Akiva, where he became a leader for younger students at weekly meetings.

"He moved mid-last year to join the army," Bnei Akiva Melbourne president Romy Spicer said.

"But it really hits home when you see a photo of your friend who has been injured. It throws you about."

Earlier in July, Mr Wein, who grew up in Melbourne but moved to Israel before graduating from Yavneh College, was reportedly shot in the thigh.

Ms Spicer said that out of the 365 students and leaders in Melbourne's Bnei Akiva program, as many as 10 had joined the Israeli army in the past two years.

"What drives them is a love and passion for Zionism," she said.

There are about 2500 foreign citizens from more than 60 countries enlisted in the Israeli Defence Forces. The US provides the greatest contingent, but there are also large numbers of Russian, Ukrainian and French soldiers.

Sixty-four Israeli army soldiers and three Israeli citizens have died in the conflict. The Palestinian death toll has reached 1822.

Mr Azoulay, whose 20-year-old brother also left Melbourne to fight in Gaza, said soldiers in the army were often under heavy fire and went days without being able to contact family.

"I didn't speak to my brother once for five or six days ... it is nerve-wracking," he said.

"We don't want there to be a war, but unfortunately the circumstances force it."

The Israeli embassy in Canberra refused to comment on the number of Australians fighting for the IDF, but it is believed there are in excess of 100 enlisted.

The Department of Foreign Affairs does not keep figures on how many Australian citizens have gone to Israel to fight for its army.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

"This is where we'll bury the poors"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Our local Stop CSG group was livid when we found out Abbott had been in the area with absolutely no notice or ability to organise a meeting.

Also that part where they're turning over the soil? They cut down a bunch of native gums to do that. Absolutely spewing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gough Suppressant posted:

Presumably the government will come out condemning Leibler Yavneh College as a breeding ground for violent religious extremists who leave Australia to fight in foreign wars. I am also assuming that the two Australian citizens injured while assisting in the murder of children will be denied re-entry to the country and have their citizenship stripped.

No but you see according to our wise and honourable PM "we are all Israelis".

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Our local Stop CSG group was livid when we found out Abbott had been in the area with absolutely no notice or ability to organise a meeting.

Also that part where they're turning over the soil? They cut down a bunch of native gums to do that. Absolutely spewing.

Oh yeah, the destruction around this area is unbelievable. All these Sim-Cities popping up, it's depressing. Harrington Grove? Isn't a grove a collection of trees? Heh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So I sent out a TTCC application on the 20th of June and it's now the 5th of August and it still has not arrived. I called up Translink and they gave me a number to the so called "card manufacturer" who can give me the exact status of my card. I call the number and get an answering machine telling me to call Translink.

What the actual gently caress?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Anidav posted:

So I sent out a TTCC application on the 20th of June and it's now the 5th of August and it still has not arrived. I called up Translink and they gave me a number to the so called "card manufacturer" who can give me the exact status of my card. I call the number and get an answering machine telling me to call Translink.

What the actual gently caress?

No concession opal cards, sirens that flash to let security know someone has the balls to use a concession ticket, half of the paper tickets cancelled (namely the ones that save you money).

Gee, you don't think there's some sort of pattern here, do you?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Splode posted:

No concession opal cards, sirens that flash to let security know someone has the balls to use a concession ticket, half of the paper tickets cancelled (namely the ones that save you money).

I'm going to be mad as hell if concession multis get cancelled, get hosed Libs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Splode posted:

Are they trying to trap students in paying fines by maintaining a undersupply?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Nah they're just incompetent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

Nah they're just incompetent.

The safe answer for literally everything to do with ticketting in NSW.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You can't even buy an opal card at a train station :laffo:

Oh and station staff aren't allowed to do anything with them either, all they will say is "talk to Opal". And if the card readers crash (happens not infrequently), the only solution is to reboot the ticket barriers which takes about 5 minutes. This happened at Town Hall at about 8:45am last week :laugh:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

webmeister posted:

You can't even buy an opal card at a train station :laffo:

Its so they can fire all ticket selling staff in 18-24 months time. All the current people promoting Opal at stations are contractors.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Everywhere in Asia supports both paper tickets and e-tickets, and it's good for everybody. Why do Melbourne and Sydney push so hard to get rid of paper tickets? It's simply unfair and inconvenient for visitors.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Couple of times last month the gates let me through without reading the card properly.

Ended up getting charged the full day fare and missing out on the 'free' day for consecutive travel.

e. how are tourists fresh off the plane supposed to get anywhere when the paper tickets are gone?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It's already a huge pain in the rear end to buy a bus ticket in Sydney. You have to find a random convenience store, half of which do not sell them. Every other country I've visited there are obvious ticket stalls/machines.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

webmeister posted:

This happened at Town Hall at about 8:45am last week :laugh:

Yep.

Total nightmare.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Tbh, that's how Town Hall looks every time more than one train arrives at the same time during peak.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Yep.

Total nightmare.

gaza aint got nothin on this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Tbh, that's how Town Hall looks every time more than one train arrives at the same time during peak.

That isn't true at all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

gaza aint got nothin on this

bwahahahahahah cracking post, gromit.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Amethyst posted:

Yep.

Total nightmare.

At this point are they really going to stop you if you hop the gate?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Problem is the Opal users couldn't tap off and get totally hosed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

They don't need to - if you don't tap off the system charges you the maximum fare, even if you only actually travelled two stops :waycool:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If you're an opal user, jumping the gate costs you $9

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Amethyst posted:

That isn't true at all.

Ok, it was a slight exaggeration.

Anyways, anyone have the number of bills passed in the first X days by the last few governments? I've seen it posted here before back can't find it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I feel like Opal could be good if not for the fact that the most incompetent idiots possible were put in charge of it.

You'd need to keep the ticket system though. I'm surprised there's no senior card released yet, surely the boomers will be pissed.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
Looks like Abbott's killed the changes to 18C.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why didn't they just take Brisbane's Go Card system?

Unrelatedly, a friend has a Cert IV in admin, but wants to get into warehousing and thinks a cert in that would be more beneficial. They're with a JSA so they should fork out some dosh for training, right? Or will they have to pay for it all out of pocket.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Small Keating posted:

Looks like Abbott's killed the changes to 18C.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0805-3d65l.html

quote:

The Abbott government has backed down on plans to water down the Racial Discrimination Act.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said it was a ‘‘leadership call’’ to bin the proposed changes to Section 18C of the act which had been roundly criticised by ethnic community leaders and was unpopular with the wider public
"Leadership is about preserving national identity and the essentials and that is why I have taken this position," Mr Abbott said.

Last week, Fairfax media revealed the Coalition's plan to water down race hate laws has been rejected by a marked majority of respondents to a government review.

More than 76 per cent of 4100 submissions to Attorney-General George Brandis' draft changes to the Racial Discrimination Act were opposed to the proposal - known as the ''Bolt law'' after conservative columnist Andrew Bolt.

The government has proposed to wind back section 18C, which makes it unlawful to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate someone based on their race or ethnicity.

But just 20.5 per cent of submissions were in favour of the changes, according to documents obtained under freedom of information laws by Simon Rice of the Australian National University. Three per cent called for a complete repeal of all racial discrimination protections.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Cassa posted:

Why didn't they just take Brisbane's Go Card system?

Go Card is getting replaced.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/389986,could-fingerprint-scans-replace-queensland8217s-go-card.aspx

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

"Leadership is about preserving national identity and the essentials and that is why I have taken this position," Mr Abbott said.

Boo! Boo this man!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Cassa posted:

Unrelatedly, a friend has a Cert IV in admin, but wants to get into warehousing and thinks a cert in that would be more beneficial. They're with a JSA so they should fork out some dosh for training, right? Or will they have to pay for it all out of pocket.

From what I read in here, it depends if the JSA runs / gets a kickback on the course.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

THE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSIONER TIM WILSON WILL HAVE AMAZING WORDS SOON.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of that IPA shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The Abbott Government has given up on reforming 18c. Too many lobby groups hate free speech. And the reforms were badly sold. I suspect the country will be poorer for this.

• Locked thread