Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

E.Nigma posted:

On a scale of goatfuck to allah ackbar, how incompetent is the IQAF?

As long as someone is around to pay the (Western) contractors they need to perform maintenance on their aircraft and do every other type of logistics support thing, I suppose they're alright at flying around unopposed and randomly blowing poo poo up from the air

Sometimes they might even hit what they're aiming at

Hahaha no of course they won't hit what they're aiming at, they're awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

E.Nigma posted:

About time someone actually put up a fight against those larper shitheads. Even if they ran off like little bitches again.

Well, they're more competent than North Korea and most sub-Saharans, but not quite up to par with the Saudis :laffo:.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some blue on blue, and I'd be even less surprised to find out it was on purpose.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

As long as someone is around to pay the (Western) contractors they need to perform maintenance on their aircraft and do every other type of logistics support thing, I suppose they're alright at flying around unopposed and randomly blowing poo poo up from the air

Are we talking the Su-25s they supposedly got just last month or the F-16s they don't even have yet

Or the helicopters ISIS has been swatting out of the sky routinely

Maybe someone can throw grenades out the window of a Cessna

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT6mF8hsxz8

this is the most cheerful retreat ive ever seen

at least it isnt a rout where they threw down their arms and dressed up like civilians doing an every rab for hisself kinda deal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seriously I don't get how the Kurds can have the poo poo gassed out of them and be chill while there's TerrorRabs who comparatively haven't had to deal with poo poo in their lives sticking a bunch of heads on poles

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Close...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are we talking the Su-25s they supposedly got just last month or the F-16s they don't even have yet

Or the helicopters ISIS has been swatting out of the sky routinely

Mostly the helos that ISIS has been blowing out of the sky (hence the "unopposed" caveat in the original comment)

Also the two Hellfire armed Cessnas, which are in fact a thing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the gently caress is this zany contraption at :32?

the ypg has come across the syrian border to help the peshmerga, theyre so cute together :3:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think that's that homemade one you drive with a PS2 controller

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's the result of an 8 year old drawing a tank with crayons.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
some guy going by the name thekurd claims kurds are back in control of shangal or shingle or whatever :shrug:

also lmbo at the brass strike on the cameraman at the end

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Skid steer and everything dang. It's like they bought poo poo that Cobra didn't want.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So if there ever going to be a point where the Iraqi army doesn't run away?
At least the ARVN had the NVA and VC to deal with and held out for a couple years.
I can practically see the choppers on the embassy roof now.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Frosted Flake posted:

So if there ever going to be a point where the Iraqi army doesn't run away?
At least the ARVN had the NVA and VC to deal with and held out for a couple years.
I can practically see the choppers on the embassy roof now.

The Iraqi Army, like most Arab armies fears two things: the enemy in front of them and the government behind them. The reason the Republican Guard was so competent, at least by rab comparison, was because Saddam basically had a knife to everyone's throat, as well as to the throats of their families. The only way to get them to fight is to convince them that the alternative is much worse. :commissar:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
probably when their leadership threatens torture and then follows through with those threats until those underlings beg for death Caro style.

saddam's army may have been steamrolled by the US, but they at least didn't turn tail when ordered to sit in trenches against Iran in the eighties.

i don't think giving them stripped down m1a1s and lackadaisical leadership did anything but encourage them to be incredibly docile while laying down in open mass graves before being capped in the cranium.

edit - ^^^^^^ yeh

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Considering most of the Iraqi Army are in it for what they thought was a steady paycheck and never really bought into the idea of actually fighting for Iraq, it's no surprise they're in self-preservation mode.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I wonder if there's a solid number out there for how many Iraqi troops surrendered in OIF before any combat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gleep gloop posted:

I wonder if there's a solid number out there for how many Iraqi troops surrendered in OIF before any combat.

The news at the time made it seem like the US military had a harder time with a sandstorm that blew in than they did with the Iraqi Army. Since their last big institutional memory was getting the dogshit beat out of them during Desert Storm, I can't imagine that the Iraqi military had much will to fight.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ugh. I'm not in the military, but a really really good friend of mine died in that sandstorm when their Humvee crashed into the back of a big truck in that sandstorm. I guess visibility was completely zero in it at night.

And, well, a girl was driving.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

E.Nigma posted:

Goatfuck would imply they could at least be marginally on target.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We should have set up an Iraqi NKVD before we left. They would really benefit from Commissars and Blocking Detachments.
:commissar:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
ABC news is reporting an American general was just killed at camp Qargha. Says A gunmam (singular) wearing afgjan army uniform turnedbhis weapon against americans and other afghans. Half of the 15 wounded are believed to be american.

Its hitting NYT as well

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for the update Walter

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Waroduce posted:

ABC news is reporting an American general was just killed at camp Qargha. Says A gunmam (singular) wearing afgjan army uniform turnedbhis weapon against americans and other afghans. Half of the 15 wounded are believed to be american.

Its hitting NYT as well

Dude, if I was an American General and I saw a gunman, I figured it would be expected of me to have the skills to at least roundhouse the mutherfucker before he did anything and then plant my rambo knife in his heart. loving general of office supplies i guess.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

chemosh6969 posted:

Dude, if I was an American General and I saw a gunman, I figured it would be expected of me to have the skills to at least roundhouse the mutherfucker before he did anything and then plant my rambo knife in his heart. loving general of office supplies i guess.

Can we get a new current events thread with loving general of office supplies as the title

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Melthir posted:

Can we get a new current events thread with loving general of office supplies as the title

:justpost:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655758

There is one and I think it will be good.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yep, come over to the new thread for CE chat.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
No racism?

:negative:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Microsoft is accusing me of working for Hamas

quote:

Happy Birthday, HomoToad,
Over the past year, you may have excavated endless tunnels, caught the latest flicks, discovered brand new apps, and explored ancient worlds – all on Xbox Live! No matter how you've chosen to spend these last 12 months, we'd just like to say:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

Microsoft is accusing me of working for Hamas
BRB gonna make a Hamas mod for Minecraft.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
creepers = suicide bombers
autism = islam

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
makes sense

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Genocide Tendency posted:

Goatfuck would imply they could at least be marginally on target.
No, goatfuck implies that the pilot is too busy loving a goat to get in the air. Allah ackbar implies the pilot is in the air and has released ordinance, no matter how hilariously off target it may be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm having visions of Luke Skywalker turning off his targeting computer in the Death Star run, then it cutting to one of the billion allahu ackbar videos, preferably one that's a miss.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Its hitting NYT as well

:nws:footage of the shooting:nws:

pretty savage if you ask me

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

All brownskins are savages

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Godholio posted:

I'm having visions of Luke Skywalker turning off his targeting computer in the Death Star run, then it cutting to one of the billion allahu ackbar videos, preferably one that's a miss.

"Use the takbir, Al-Skywalker!"

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
We visited a Peshmerga base outside of Mosul in '05 and the dudes had mortar tubes aimed at the city. Our battalion commander was all wtf don't do that, but seems like it was a pretty good idea now. I imagine they've been waiting and preparing for this poo poo to go down since at least 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

RichieHimself posted:

We visited a Peshmerga base outside of Mosul in '05 and the dudes had mortar tubes aimed at the city. Our battalion commander was all wtf don't do that, but seems like it was a pretty good idea now. I imagine they've been waiting and preparing for this poo poo to go down since at least 2003.

My dad spent some time working with the Kurds as a civilian security contractor and yeah that's pretty much exactly what he said.

• Locked thread