Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

soul farming :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TheRagamuffin posted:

The worst are still the spider villagers from Tseldora, where the animation comes a couple seconds after the damage, and they often get you with a few hits while their death animation is playing.

Them and the dogs in the gutter who hit you before they even go into an attack animation.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bigass Moth posted:

Them and the dogs in the gutter who hit you before they even go into an attack animation.

I don't complain about much in this game, but that's definitely on my list.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

I am so glad my trip through the gutter involved "I think I will try out this Chariot Lance some more" when it came to those dogs, because I did not have the pleasure of learning this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My biggest mistake was opening the iron door to McDuff's workshop, because I had to kill those 1-2 dogs that wander in for the next 15 visits.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So uh

http://maggotmaster.tumblr.com/post/93836129226/now-the-real-fight-begins

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tae posted:

My biggest mistake was opening the iron door to McDuff's workshop, because I had to kill those 1-2 dogs that wander in for the next 15 visits.
You don't have to kill them if you move fast enough/stay obscured, or at least when you make him move to his anvil.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

So, how do I make my game look that pretty.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This was my experience going back to it too, part of it was definitely worse than before but part of it is also just that things are a little jarring going back to 30 FPS and a way slower-moving game.
I mostly play on PS3 because I hate dealing with hackers and save editors, but when I do play on PC I lock the FPS to 30 because of all the 60 FPS bugs. I thought most people did that?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've seen several people using the unfinished spells (I really hope the firestorm line one makes it to allow for more accurate Armstrong cosplay) but no one using that crazy-rear end fist moveset. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Meatsicle posted:

I mostly play on PS3 because I hate dealing with hackers and save editors, but when I do play on PC I lock the FPS to 30 because of all the 60 FPS bugs. I thought most people did that?

Hell no! People's eyes/brains obviously work differently, because 30 FPS compared to 60 FPS just looks like complete garbage to me (and many others) :(

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Should I put poison, bleed, fire, or magic on the espada ropera my 50int mage is wielding?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Should I put poison, bleed, fire, or magic on the espada ropera my 50int mage is wielding?

Magic. For poison there are better options, bleed is garbage. Fire is okay but you'll get more damage out of magic, especially if you buff it with MW/GMW/CMW.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Well I think this game has just cut me deeper than any other in the series. I'm on my first play through and was having a good run. So far, I've been strict about retrieving my souls as I'm pretty paranoid about the soul memory mechanic and absolutely avoid wasting anything.
After completing the covetous demon and baneful queen consecutively I run down to the first bonfire in Iron keep. I see the item on the corpse under the stairs and decide to grab it before traveling back to level. I get just to the stairs before I die from the flames... panic sets in. I respawn and there are my souls on the other side of the lava platform, I pop a burr and manage to retrieve them and make a few steps back before dying again. Respawn and my souls are in the exact same place I started. Now I'm really panicking. I decide to sprint to them and hope for the best... I start to run and proceed to jump off of the platform without retrieving them at all... :darksouls: God drat, I'm still mad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not really sure what you thought was gonna happen when you walked onto the lava platforms. If you actually got anywhere near the item before dying I'd be surprised.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Just being overconfident from my previous success, and promptly punished for it.

I mean the bonfire is RIGHT THERE! What could go wrong?

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Jimb posted:

Just being overconfident from my previous success, and promptly punished for it.

I mean the bonfire is RIGHT THERE! What could go wrong?

Always spend loose souls when you hit a bonfire. I'm usually overflowing with random soul items to burn if I need to buy something but I've never really been starved for them when you can farm bosses super easily.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jimb posted:

Well I think this game has just cut me deeper than any other in the series. I'm on my first play through and was having a good run. So far, I've been strict about retrieving my souls as I'm pretty paranoid about the soul memory mechanic and absolutely avoid wasting anything.
After completing the covetous demon and baneful queen consecutively I run down to the first bonfire in Iron keep. I see the item on the corpse under the stairs and decide to grab it before traveling back to level. I get just to the stairs before I die from the flames... panic sets in. I respawn and there are my souls on the other side of the lava platform, I pop a burr and manage to retrieve them and make a few steps back before dying again. Respawn and my souls are in the exact same place I started. Now I'm really panicking. I decide to sprint to them and hope for the best... I start to run and proceed to jump off of the platform without retrieving them at all... :darksouls: God drat, I'm still mad.

Now I don't feel quite so bad for That one time Those few times Those several times I forgot I wasn't wearing my anti-lava ring at the time in Souls 1, before walking into the lava.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Say, does anyone here got any recommendations for LPs/streams of DeS/DS/DS2? I've watched and loved Kay's LP of DS but her DS2 LP was a whinefest and her current LP of Demon's Souls is constantly interrupted by her going on diatribes about how DS2 sucks :(

I've tried watching a couple of different people but I've yet to find anyone who doesn't blame the game for everything they do wrong. Sword to the face? "How the gently caress is that possible! This is bullshit!"

Watching people play through for the first time is obviously the most fun, and I like watching LP's while playing DS2 since at this point I can easily keep an eye on both at the same time without either getting boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Epic Name Bro is doing his own playthrough of DS2 on his channel that he resumed recently. I like the guy, but peoples' opinions of him vary.

edit: But I guess I'll bump my own that I started. After Slowbeef's ASMR video retsupurae I decided I wanted to try my own hand at chill videos to show that they can be done "right", so I started a series where I play Dark Souls 2 and also chill out simultaneously. People say I have a good voice for listening to in the background :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIQ8ZHwlro

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 5, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ENB finished his DS2 walkthrough like about 2 weeks ago, but it's not a complete walkthrough and don't expect him playing the DLC anytime soon.

Superbestfriends is doing a playthrough of DS2, the guy piloting it is new and hype despite the 2nd guy trying to murder everyone's patience.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2t9hMXgGAYZF46ouOlvXy5b

They update super frequently and will go through all the update.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by Kay's "see DS and Ds1 are so much better" that she keeps snipping with way too much
Sure she can dislike Ds2 (some of her reasons are very subjective though) and comparing the three is to be expected but she is very close to becoming one of the "Ds2 is objectively an awful game" crowd and using every opportunity to jab at Ds2. :smith:

Also she as of yet did not play spacechem, I even gave it my recommendation. :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, thanks for the quick recommendations!

CJacobs posted:

edit: But I guess I'll bump my own that I started. After Slowbeef's ASMR video retsupurae I decided I wanted to try my own hand at chill videos to show that they can be done "right", so I started a series where I play Dark Souls 2 and also chill out simultaneously. People say I have a good voice for listening to in the background :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIQ8ZHwlro

I like how your video starts by explaining who the videos are for, and pretty much describing exactly what I just asked for! :)
What's the deal with Epic Name Bro (besides the stupid name), by the way? I quickly checked out a video (lore stuff) and he seemed perfectly reasonable.

Tae posted:

Superbestfriends is doing a playthrough of DS2, the guy piloting it is new and hype despite the 2nd guy trying to murder everyone's patience.

Murder patience how? :ohdear:

I might also mention that I generally prefer nerdy methodical players, probably because they generally whine less. Dudebros who only care about blazing through content without ever trying out different weapons or looking for hidden routes always end up stumped somewhere and starts complaining about the game being "loving bullshit" :negative:
e: Since it's mostly something I keep on in the background it's no fun listening to constant stream of "ugh, loving garbage".

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 5, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

Murder patience how? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9-ua4nZHT8

I love the Best Friends guys but holy crap.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Your Computer posted:

I might also mention that I generally prefer nerdy methodical players, probably because they generally whine less. Dudebros who only care about blazing through content without ever trying out different weapons or looking for hidden routes always end up stumped somewhere and starts complaining about the game being "loving bullshit" :negative:
e: Since it's mostly something I keep on in the background it's no fun listening to constant stream of "ugh, loving garbage".

I see you watched the "How not to Play" series about DarkSidePhil. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

EpicNameBro is probably the one that started the entire Lore discussion on Dark Souls, made multiple beginners walkthroughs for Dark Souls, and was part of the team that wrote the guide on DS2 (hence why he's burned out on DS2, because he literally played the game more than anyone else).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Most recent ~*fashion souls*~ :kimchi:

Cainer
May 8, 2008
^^^^ Wow, what chest piece is that? You look awesome and I want in! ^^^^

I started a new character and blitzed to the rats so I could be a rat friend. After equipping myself with some poison stuff and chameleon I declared I was ready for fun. First day of ratting it up and holy poo poo, the number of hackers I have met has been ridiculous. Since DS2 has come out, with red signs, orbs, blue cops, bellring, whatever, I have seen maybe seven or eight hackers in all. Today as a rat bro? I have met more then a dozen of the rude dudes. Doesn't take damage, infinite stamina, shooting moonlight great-sword blasts out of their asses... do rats usually get this much hacker hate or am I just super unlucky?!

vvvv Neat, I'm going to have to grab that, thanks. vvvv

Cainer fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 5, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cainer posted:

^^^^ Wow, what chest piece is that? You look awesome and I want in! ^^^^

Dingy, available from a NG+ phantom in the sewers under Majula in ng+ or by asceticing the last bonfire in grave of saints maybe?? I dunno.

I mean I dunno if you can get it outside of ng+, not that it isn't dingy, it is SO dingy like drat dingy as.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 5, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Dingy, available from a NG+ phantom in the sewers under Majula in ng+ or by asceticing the last bonfire in grave of saints maybe?? I dunno.

From what I've heard, you have to be in NG+ and ascetics won't work. The pants are from the Shadow set, and I'm actually dual-wielding Warped Swords so it's definitely a NG+ costume v:v:v

The Dingy Robe also kinda works with the Flower Skirt (better than other armors anyway):

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Your Computer posted:

From what I've heard, you have to be in NG+ and ascetics won't work. The pants are from the Shadow set, and I'm actually dual-wielding Warped Swords so it's definitely a NG+ costume v:v:v

No you can totally get dual boss souls with bonfire ascetics, I used them to get two warped daggers for my dagger lady.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

No you can totally get dual boss souls with bonfire ascetics, I used them to get two warped daggers for my dagger lady.

Oh, I'm only talking about the Dingy set :) Some stuff just doesn't appear until you're actually on NG+ and not just bonfire intensity+.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Oh, I'm only talking about the Dingy set :) Some stuff just doesn't appear until you're actually on NG+ and not just bonfire intensity+.

fiendish bastard devs.

edurt:

Question to all you terrible people, can hax let you apply the poison aura effect from the butterfly set to the prisoner clothes set? Because my dirty poison-o-mancer just doesn't look right dressed as a fairy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have played Dark Souls 2 for nearly 300 hours now and I just noticed that there's a literal tower of flame at Heide's Tower of Flame :downsbravo:

The "gamers never look up" trope is too real... And I'm even one of those people who spend hours meticulously looking at everything. I have no idea how I missed this :negative:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I have played Dark Souls 2 for nearly 300 hours now and I just noticed that there's a literal tower of flame at Heide's Tower of Flame :downsbravo:

The "gamers never look up" trope is too real... And I'm even one of those people who spend hours meticulously looking at everything. I have no idea how I missed this :negative:

No, gamers are the only people who ever look up, especially the ones that have a background in tabletop. You're just unobservant.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Is there any way to keep track of your bell keeper kills so you know when to go talk to the guy?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The answer is to use CE to see/do it, which coincidentally happens to be the answer to an unhealthily large proportion of Dark Souls 2 questions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nikolaos posted:

Is there any way to keep track of your bell keeper kills so you know when to go talk to the guy?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Nikolaos posted:

Know how many chunks you have going in, and check out how many chunks you have in your inventory currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Say, does anyone here got any recommendations for LPs/streams of DeS/DS/DS2? I've watched and loved Kay's LP of DS but her DS2 LP was a whinefest and her current LP of Demon's Souls is constantly interrupted by her going on diatribes about how DS2 sucks :(

Watching people play through for the first time is obviously the most fun, and I like watching LP's while playing DS2 since at this point I can easily keep an eye on both at the same time without either getting boring.

It's funny since she even blames the game for the stuff she is just outright doing wrong, such as missing with the big weapons.

Goon WanderingNewbie has a decent LP on his Youtube channel.

Flytrap posted:

No, gamers are the only people who ever look up, especially the ones that have a background in tabletop. You're just unobservant.

From watching blind LPs (not just of the Souls games but other games) I think I can safely say most gamers are unobservant sacks of poo poo.