Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I paint fully assembled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I actually paint from sprue. Then assemble. I just find it easier.

How do you deal with sanding down the marks left by plastic clippers?

E:

Like, I understand leaving the pilot out of a cockpit, or leaving off bolters (even though they hide what you painted most of the time) - but painting on the sprue seems a tad extreme.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I can't get on with painting on sprue at all. A lot of the time I'll use a wash/medium mix to tone down basecoats and the thought of having to re-do those on small areas of the model and trying to match the same tone as the original coat just doesn't seem worth it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm generally of the school of thought that areas you can't paint well when the model is assembled are the ones that are hidden anyway.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Behold, the most haphazard dakkajet. It should look better painted...

The under slung gun is from a SU-152 kit.

(I have never seen a dakkajet before, hopefully that looks like one)

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 5, 2014

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Already a vast technological improvement over the actual Dakkajet, seeing as how it has landing gear instead of an arrestor hook and skids.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JerryLee posted:

I'm generally of the school of thought that areas you can't paint well when the model is assembled are the ones that are hidden anyway.

There are plenty of areas you can't paint well for assembled models that will still be visible enough to make the difference between a good model and a great model. I prime on sprue, then paint as I assemble. I'll usually assemble anything that can be painted ok, like the head/torso/legs for a space marine, then I'll paint the arms and bolter separately if they're going to be crossing the chest.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Will it fly long enough to drop/launch its ordinance in the general direction of the enemy and/or ram a large (not necessarily enemy) piece of military hardware? If so, it's within parameters :orks101:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Dulkor posted:

Already a vast technological improvement over the actual Dakkajet, seeing as how it has landing gear instead of an arrestor hook and skids.

wutz "landin" and why do youz needs gear 'fer it?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shadeoses posted:

Nah, I think you're doing it right. Ditch the landing gear :orks101: and see if you can find a flying base on ebay or something.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Shadeoses posted:

Looks good, but you'd need to make sure its large enough. Not to get all :goonsay: on you, but dakkajets are pretty big, and people could bitch at you if its small and can hide behind things as a result.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Slimnoid posted:

Look at the DV librarian as an example.

I'd completely forgotten that guy existed, and in a similar pose too. I might just go with a bolt pistol after all so I don't end up with two Librarians mirroring each other. My attempts at making the wrist less awful weren't exactly working anyway :(

Zog me, it's bootiful.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sykic posted:

I'd completely forgotten that guy existed, and in a similar pose too. I might just go with a bolt pistol after all so I don't end up with two Librarians mirroring each other. My attempts at making the wrist less awful weren't exactly working anyway :(

You could always go for an upraised clenched fist, Doctor Doom-style.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've got plenty of ground pounders and a predator, what should be my second vehicle pick up for space marines? Feeling kind of light on the armor.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've got plenty of ground pounders and a predator, what should be my second vehicle pick up for space marines? Feeling kind of light on the armor.

If you're looking to stick to running your marines on the ground, another AV13 offensive vehicle might be a good idea. Having multiples of anything is good for ensuring some level of reliable access to resources, but Vindicators are pretty solid AV13 platforms and it's so satisfying when you nuke something with them. Land Raiders are a heavy investment of points but can be pretty strong offensively and would give you a good mobile platform for 12-16 infantry models. With the meta having swung so far into S6-7 guns and 7th Edition reducing the damage table outcome Land Raiders are pretty tough nowadays.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Predators, so I'd probably go either Vindicator or Land Raider, depending on how you want to fit them into your list(s).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
OTOH anyone and everyone is going to shoot a Vindicator off at their earliest convenience so just keep that in mind. Predator's aren't as good but they also don't need to be in melta range to shoot their guns.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
The TriLas and AutoLas Predators are both quite solid these days; unlike a Vindicator, they can sit at long range where it's much harder to get into their side armor, so they tend to shrug off most shots pretty easily. Vindicators are hardly bad, but they tend to be more fragile and really want to be run in pairs or triples so you can push them forward as a group.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

OTOH anyone and everyone is going to shoot a Vindicator off at their earliest convenience so just keep that in mind. Predator's aren't as good but they also don't need to be in melta range to shoot their guns.

I actually prefer this because it gives me a solid way to control how my opponent is going to act. Providing them with a priority target allows more of your army freedom to act without the threat of anti-tank fire. It's certainly better to have 2-3+ as AbusePuppy said, but if you're starting out with one tank I'd still go that route.

I prefer my armies to be as mobile as possible and Predators really suffer from having to Snapfire all but one shot if they move. If you want to hold a back-field objective and hit targets it's a solid buy, but I'd prefer Devastators if they're just going to be sitting around anyway.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
AbusePuppy, gun to your head, if you had to take a squad of either Assault Marines or Vanguard Veterans in a Salamanders list, and the rest of the list could be flexed around them, which would you take and how would you build them? (If they had to fill a role, what do they do best, and which does that thing better?)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks for the advice, quick follow up, my meta is kind of heavy with flyers,is a gunship with it would it be just as easy to give tactical squads rocket launchers the flak upgrade?

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp
I've been wanting to start an Alpha Legion force for 40k but I can't decided what codex to use to represent them. I'm leaning more towards the vanilla marines codex since it seems to suit their fluff better. Chapter tactics also would be good to keep things fresh for me if I get bored with a particular playstyle/list. Is there any reason to use the chaos codex besides that book being for traitor marines and all?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Vengeful Turtle posted:

I've been wanting to start an Alpha Legion force for 40k but I can't decided what codex to use to represent them. I'm leaning more towards the vanilla marines codex since it seems to suit their fluff better. Chapter tactics also would be good to keep things fresh for me if I get bored with a particular playstyle/list. Is there any reason to use the chaos codex besides that book being for traitor marines and all?

Chaos Cultists are pretty heavy in the Alpha Legion image. Additionally there's a few named characters (or a roll on the Warlord table) who can give d3 units of Infantry Infiltrate, which can be nice and fluffy.

I suppose you could do Ultramarines and ally in either Militarum Tempestus or Astra Militarum as the "cult" end of things. Ultras/MT are pretty fluffy for this as well as Alpha Legion has infiltrated them. (hail hydra)

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 5, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
A big part of Alpha Legion doctrine/fluff is their heavy use of human auxiliaries, and the CSM codex would let you employ cultists lead by Marine champions. You could also look towards the legion write-ups in Warhammer 30k, which are supposed to be rules for Horus Heresy armies but remain legal for 40k games.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Vengeful Turtle posted:

Given the existence of Allies, I think Alpha Legion makes as much sense as Codex Space Marines or possibly Space Wolves (depending on how the new Codex shakes out) as Chaos. You can add counts-as Guard to represent their skilled mortal infantry (or just woefully misinformed Guard).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zeal posted:

You could also look towards the legion write-ups in Warhammer 30k, which are supposed to be rules for Horus Heresy armies but remain legal for 40k games.

The Alpha Legion in 30k has access to some hilarious ways to gently caress with your opponent if you're into that, particularly if you bring Alpharius himself along. Highlights include stealing special units from other Legion lists and making an enemy bring in your unit from reserves instead of theirs.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Sulecrist posted:

Beowulf, (:v:) gun to your head, if you had to take a squad of either Assault Marines or Vanguard Veterans in a Salamanders list, and the rest of the list could be flexed around them, which would you take and how would you build them? (If they had to fill a role, what do they do best, and which does that thing better?)

While it's great to spam flamer and melta as Salamanders, people will not often expect to have to deal with Assault Marines. VanVets can bring a lot of hurt, but it's hurt that any decent player will be expecting. You want direct or surprise?

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp
How competitive can the chaos dex be in 7th edition? I saw Heldrakes took some nerfs from the changes to vector strike and losing turrets on their flamers. Could I put together a decent list that won't get destroyed at local tourneys? I don't have to come in first but I'd like to avoid being last place all the time.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

AbusePuppy, gun to your head, if you had to take a squad of either Assault Marines or Vanguard Veterans in a Salamanders list, and the rest of the list could be flexed around them, which would you take and how would you build them? (If they had to fill a role, what do they do best, and which does that thing better?)

Hmm. There are a couple things you could do with them that aren't completely awful- honestly, the new Vanguard Vets aren't the worst thing in the world, even if they're not terribly exciting, either. (I'm assuming you mean SM for this question, as in BA both of them are solid-to-good units and don't require any special stuff to use.)

ASM are handy for a couple of things, mostly getting a cheap transport; five bodies, two Flamers, sergeant with a Combi-Flamer, all in a Drop Pod is fairly cheap and puts down a lot of templates on arrival- they're sorta like a lovely version of Sternguard (albeit significantly cheaper.) You could also do something similar with a Rhino, probably omitting the Combi in that case. Basically, the best thing about ASM is that they get a cheap vehicle and can take two Flamers in a min-sized squad; especially if you have an aggressive list that is already running Drop Pods, tanks, or Bikes in some combination they could be a perfectly defendable choice.

Vanguard Vets are in some ways easier and some ways trickier; they come with a pile of attacks (three each) base and can take all kinds of crazy gear, plus they get Jump Packs extremely cheaply, but the secret to making them work is that 95% of their upgrades are traps. What you're looking to do with Vanguard is stuff them inside some sort of assault transport and suit up 1-3 guys with melee weapons and then treat them as a sorta-fragile deathstar unit. 6-8 bodies and three Power Fists, for example, is quite terrifying to most people; throw in a Storm Shield or two to soak wounds against MCs, walkers, and the like and you have a pretty legit unit. They are also handy because every member of the squad can get Meltabombs; if you hate losing to Knights, 2-3 Storm Shields and a full complement of Meltabombs will gently caress their day up super-bad. Also there is the comedy option of ten guys, all with double-Grav Pistol or Plasma Pistol, falling out of a Drop Pod to ruin someone's day. It's a billion points of "gently caress YOU IMMA DO AN ACTION MOVIE!!" Like most deathstar-y units, Vanguard either want a buddy squad (so another unit of Assault Terminators, Honor Guard, Assault Centurions, or Vanguard) so that you have some redundancy or they want to act as an "anchor" for your battle line, letting you shoot at the other guy with impunity while your deathstar kills assaulters are they get close.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks for the advice, quick follow up, my meta is kind of heavy with flyers,is a gunship with it would it be just as easy to give tactical squads rocket launchers the flak upgrade?

The Stormtalon is quite useful even when there aren't enemy flyers on the table, so I can recommend it highly. It's fragile, but it's very cheap and hits way above its weight class. Flakk Missiles are unfortunately pretty bad- one S7 shot just isn't enough to do much to most flying targets and the price you pay for them is far too high.

Vengeful Turtle posted:

You could certainly use the CSM book for them- Huron lets you Infiltrate d3 units (or Ahriman, if you want some psyker shenanigans, but he's a lot pricier), Cultists are pretty perfect for how the Alphas are portrayed, and CSM get very flexible equipment loadouts. However, if you're staying "true" to Alpha Legion, you don't get to use most of the really neat stuff in the book, like Marks, Daemon Weapons, Spawn, Daemon Enginers, Obliterators, etc, nor Daemon allies- and all of those are some of the main strengths of the CSM book. It's certainly not an unworkable army and you could do a pretty decent job with it, but I don't think it would be my first choice.

An alternative using the SM book would be to take the Forge World special character Lias Issodon; he's part of the Badab War series of books, but an update for his rules is available on the FW site currently. His schtick is essentially stealth and sabotage, a perfect fit for the Alphas, and he has a broad suite of handy abilities that fit your fluff (do some free wounds to a unit at the start of the game, reroll your reserves and penalize the enemy ones, Shrouded, etc.) However, his big selling point is that he has the fixed warlord trait of Master of Ambush, which gives him and up to three other non-vehicle units Infiltrate- this means that, in many cases, you are able to Infiltrate with four units in your army that otherwise couldn't (since he can join with a unit and confer it.)

Add in some allied Guardsmen or Stormtroopers and run a mostly-foot army and you've got yourself a pretty solid force overall that is both functional and fluffy. Best of all, you get to use all of the loyalist toys without worry, and if anyone bitches you can point out that the AL specifically do that sort of "deep infiltration" mission all the time and thus they would have to be willing to use loyalist gear while undercover.

Vengeful Turtle posted:

How competitive can the chaos dex be in 7th edition? I saw Heldrakes took some nerfs from the changes to vector strike and losing turrets on their flamers. Could I put together a decent list that won't get destroyed at local tourneys? I don't have to come in first but I'd like to avoid being last place all the time.

CSM has a reasonably-strong list that a lot of people aren't prepared to deal with because this is shooting edition, not melee edition. Essentially it's formed from a Librarian or Chaos Lord (the former for Telepathy shenanigans, the latter for Juggernaut + Blinding Axe), three units of Chaos Spawn (one unmarked for the Lord if he's in, otherwise all Nurgle), and three Maulerfiends (Whips and Cutters both are fine, depending on what you expect.) Troops are either big blobs of Cultists or CSM in transports trying to back up the main assault line; allies are extremely helpful, giving you either a 4th Spawn/Maulerfiend from Crimson Slaughter/Black Legion or some utility/staying power from Chaos Daemons. I know a couple people who have run this sort of list and while it's not the strongest possible thing, it's absurdly fast and it's quite possible for you to just be all over the enemy's line on turn 2 and ruining their day.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 5, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Vengeful Turtle posted:

What models do you have available and what point level are you looking for? Heldrakes did get nerfed but they're still pretty solid. Unless you're really against it, tacking on a Nurgle Daemon Prince and a unit of Nurglings is a great semi-cheap way to get access to the unholy power of Chaos Daemon Princes (which are flat-out better than their CSM counterparts).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

While it's great to spam flamer and melta as Salamanders, people will not often expect to have to deal with Assault Marines. VanVets can bring a lot of hurt, but it's hurt that any decent player will be expecting. You want direct or surprise?

I expect my opponents to know everything I'm capable of, so I am very much not a surprise/gotcha kind of player. To reiterate, I'm looking for specific build advice, though.

Edit: AbusePuppy, just saw your post. Thanks for the input! So you'd say that jump packs are not a great idea for either unit?

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 5, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The good stuff in CSM: Bikes, Spawn, HQ options, and cult marines, are all still really good. The Heldrake ate a couple big nerfs but is still okay. Really the biggest buff Chaos got was the psychic table change. The tables that Sorcerers/DPs can roll on are generally better than they were before (e.g., Iron Arm giving you +3 S/T instead of +D3). Challenges are a bit less hamstringing for you now that wounds spill over. Daemon Princes are a bit trickier to use now but Be'lakor is still probably the best HQ option we get because of how powerful Telepathy is.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I've had a lot of luck changing my strategies lately. I used to be a "bring what deals with my opponent's stuff" kind of guy, but now I've kind of said forget that, and I just bring lists specifically built to do one thing really well... For the first 9 weeks of our campaign I went undefeated.

:smug:

I still don't know how to properly deal with Tyranids...

But now I've gone from being known as the guy who was notoriously bad at hams to the guy who's a "hypercompetitive shitbag." Not that I mind.

Vengeful Turtle
Dec 25, 2009

by Ralp

PierreTheMime posted:

What models do you have available and what point level are you looking for? Heldrakes did get nerfed but they're still pretty solid. Unless you're really against it, tacking on a Nurgle Daemon Prince and a unit of Nurglings is a great semi-cheap way to get access to the unholy power of Chaos Daemon Princes (which are flat-out better than their CSM counterparts).

As it stands I have 20 tac marines, 5 devastators with plasma cannons, a kit bashed librarian, 3 rhinos, 2 razorbacks. Everything really could go either way since it's all pretty generic power armor and razorbacks can be rhinos. My buddy has the rest of my old CSM that should have about 15 chaos marines, 15 converted plague marines, a sorcerer, and he's got an unused heldrake that I could probably mooch off him. Another friend has a current CSM codex I could mooch as well. I have a couple daemons princes that I use in my WoC. I could pop one on a round base easily.

I'm coming back into 40k essentially fresh. I played a dozen or so games of 4th then just focused on fantasy until now. The fantasy group is all on hiatus or went back to 40k so I'd like to join in at 1000 points with a newbie friendly codex/list.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

CSM has a reasonably-strong list that a lot of people aren't prepared to deal with because this is shooting edition, not melee edition. Essentially it's formed from a Librarian or Chaos Lord (the former for Telepathy shenanigans, the latter for Juggernaut + Blinding Axe), three units of Chaos Spawn (one unmarked for the Lord if he's in, otherwise all Nurgle), and three Maulerfiends (Whips and Cutters both are fine, depending on what you expect.) Troops are either big blobs of Cultists or CSM in transports trying to back up the main assault line; allies are extremely helpful, giving you either a 4th Spawn/Maulerfiend from Crimson Slaughter/Black Legion or some utility/staying power from Chaos Daemons. I know a couple people who have run this sort of list and while it's not the strongest possible thing, it's absurdly fast and it's quite possible for you to just be all over the enemy's line on turn 2 and ruining their day.

We have a guy running something sort of like that. The thing is Imp Knights (and wraithknights to a lesser extent) absolutely poo poo all over it.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But now I've gone from being known as the guy who was notoriously bad at hams to the guy who's a "hypercompetitive shitbag." Not that I mind.

Hypercompetitive shitbags unite. :frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

e: I'm going to a Feast of Blades invitational soon. My plan is to make people remember that air is part of the game and say gently caress you my planes are scoring.

Iron Hands (1500)
1x King poo poo of punch mountain
2x scouts
3x stormtalon
1x stormraven
2x thunderfires
1x thermal cannon knight

I throw 4 hard to kill things on the table and wait for the airforce while dropping pie plates. If you want to come close, fine. I have two poo poo kickers who want to punch/chainsaw/stomp you into dust. Turn 5 happens and I throw everything into hover, grab the objectives and win. Bonus points that two games are kill point heavy so having 10 total kill points is going to feel real good compared to the 19 of the rhino rush.

I'm pretty excited for the rest of my team. So far we have seerstar, a 3x knight/stormtrooper list, a 4x knight list, a corndog rush backed by marine air, CSM/AM nurgle biomancy demonprince rush, and a 9 oblit gunline.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Sulecrist posted:

I expect my opponents to know everything I'm capable of, so I am very much not a surprise/gotcha kind of player. To reiterate, I'm looking for specific build advice, though.

Edit: AbusePuppy, just saw your post. Thanks for the input! So you'd say that jump packs are not a great idea for either unit?

It's less "LOL I GOT U DUDE!" dickery and more, "You expected Salamanders but got Rocket Salamanders instead of more fire!" I play with a pretty chill bunch of folks and we all reveal our lists and stuff before playing. TBH I wouldn't see Black Templar bikers coming, either (and have paid dearly for that oversight).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I've had a lot of luck changing my strategies lately. I used to be a "bring what deals with my opponent's stuff" kind of guy, but now I've kind of said forget that, and I just bring lists specifically built to do one thing really well... For the first 9 weeks of our campaign I went undefeated.

:smug:

I still don't know how to properly deal with Tyranids...

Yeah buddy! My marine list is just "kill tanks turn 1 with drop pod combimeltas, then capture or contest every objective and loving annihilate them on maelstrom missions"

5-0 so far baby

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Vengeful Turtle posted:

As it stands I have 20 tac marines, 5 devastators with plasma cannons, a kit bashed librarian, 3 rhinos, 2 razorbacks. Everything really could go either way since it's all pretty generic power armor and razorbacks can be rhinos. My buddy has the rest of my old CSM that should have about 15 chaos marines, 15 converted plague marines, a sorcerer, and he's got an unused heldrake that I could probably mooch off him. Another friend has a current CSM codex I could mooch as well. I have a couple daemons princes that I use in my WoC. I could pop one on a round base easily.

I'm coming back into 40k essentially fresh. I played a dozen or so games of 4th then just focused on fantasy until now. The fantasy group is all on hiatus or went back to 40k so I'd like to join in at 1000 points with a newbie friendly codex/list.

It's generally accepted that Nurgle is the best route to go, as the benefits of his Mark is the best and Plague Marines are simply great units.

This list below generally copies a decent amount of the basic list I use but tries to fit your model restrictions. The only thing here you may not have model-wise are Nurglings, which you can pick up pretty cheaply. You may not have access to the Chaos Daemons codex as well, which is important for this. As an alternative you can field the Daemon Prince as a second CSM HQ and use the Black Mace with Wings and MoN for 245pts. It's slightly cheaper but you're losing out on Gifts which are just so, so good.

HQ:
Chaos Lord 65pts (145pts)
++Lightning Claw 15pts
++Mark of Nurgle 15pts
++Sigil of Corruption 25pts
++Powerfist 25pts

Troops:
7x Plague Marine 168pts (238pts)
++Meltabombs 5pts
++2x Plasmagun 30pts
++Rhino 35pts

7x Plague Marine 168pts (238pts)
++Meltabombs 5pts
++2x Plasmagun 30pts
++Rhino 35pts

Fast Attack:
Heldrake 170pts

Allies: Chaos Daemons
HQ:
Daemon Prince 145pts (265pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Daemonic Flight 40pts
++Greater Reward 20pts
++Greater Reward 20pts
++Psyker (Mastery Level 1) 25pts

Troops:
3x Nurglings 45pts

The Chaos Lord in this list is a bit tacked-on because he doesn't have a mobile platform for himself. If you pick up some Bikers or Chaos Spawn pop him on a Bike pronto and you'll have a fast and vicious assault HQ.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 5, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

So you'd say that jump packs are not a great idea for either unit?

I don't think they're the best way to go overall, no- the problem with ASM using Jump Packs is that they're basically just worse than Bikes, which are as fast/faster, have good Chapter Tactics to augment them, get an extra point of toughness for a minimal cost, and can basically do anything ASM can do twice as well. For Vanguard it's a bit more arguable, but they just aren't very survivable when out in the open and you're investing a pretty chunk of change for them. A transport keeps them protected and gets them where they need to go, so the Jump Packs aren't really needed at that point. If you have them in a Stormraven you might consider it, but I don't think it's a great option all things considered.

Naramyth posted:

We have a guy running something sort of like that. The thing is Imp Knights (and wraithknights to a lesser extent) absolutely poo poo all over it.

Knights are definitely pretty tough for it; Meltabombs scattered around the squads (and HQ) can help and allies can also be of use; depending on the board, it's also quite possible for you to win fight because of Difficult Terrain being stupid- in a lot of walker vs. walker competitions, whoever charges loses the fight. A mix of Lasher Tendrils and Magma Cutters on the Maulerfiends can go a long ways towards mitigating things, though- reducing the Knights to one attack and inflicting AP1 autohits on them is not something they enjoy. Probably not a matchup you'll win against pure Knights, but if it's just 1-3 you can potentially handle it.

quote:

e: I'm going to a Feast of Blades invitational soon. My plan is to make people remember that air is part of the game and say gently caress you my planes are scoring.

Keep in mind that you have to measure from the hull, not the flight stand (even when in Hover mode), so unless your airplane is doing a bank, is built exceptionally low to the ground, or the objective is on top of some terrain, you probably won't make it within 3" of it.

Good luck, tho- I'd like to go to FoB at some point, but it's really not close enough to me to make it an easy option.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's generally accepted that Nurgle is the best route to go, as the benefits of his Mark is the best and Plague Marines are simply great units.

*deletia*

That's a pretty fair list right there, although the Nurgle Lord on foot is a bit weak- he really wants a Bike and some Spawn to go with. Spawn themselves are a little pricey, but they're also super-easy to convert for under $5/model if you bother trying- Reaper's Bones line, WFB Ogres, and others are great starting points.

Plague Marines in Rhinos are definitely solid, but I would just stick with minimum double-Plasma squads in Rhinos there; he's not getting a lot more out of the extra bodies; 3x5 would work pretty well.

I don't think the Daemon Prince is really worth it unless you're really bringing a strong air force, although I suppose at 1000pts two flying targets is fairly tough.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't think the Daemon Prince is really worth it unless you're really bringing a strong air force, although I suppose at 1000pts two flying targets is fairly tough.

Why would a DP not be worth it without air-support? A tough 2+ cover model flying about and assaulting hard targets has, up until this point for me, been nigh-unstoppable.

My last game I had a Nurgle DP with +1W, IWND, and Armourbane/Fleshbane with Iron Arm and it was literally unstoppable. It crushed the head of a generic Eternal Shield CM and went on to own the backfield forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

As far as what comes in the Dark Vengeance set, the Cultists are a definite keeper. I get good use out of the Helbrute included and you could have fun with the Helcult Formation if you wanted to. The Chosen models in the kit are gorgeous, but the selection of weapons is a little wonky. There's enough bolter Marines (in the same pose) to use for four standard CSM and one of the other weapon types as the Aspiring Champion, but it depends on your plans.

What kind of points levels are you all thinking of playing and what kind of budget would you be looking at to expand your current selection?

Sorry I missed this first time round, I didn't mean to ignore you. Currently the group plays a lot of games as all the players are pretty active so they'll have games anywhere from 200pts to 2,000pts and sometimes they'll have a mega game day with 5,000+ pts armies though this will be a multi army fight. I'm looking to build up an army of around 2,000 at first, I don't have huge cash reserves so it will probably be me buying off of eBay for a good while and I don't mind that I've been shown how to strip paint easily so buying painted figures is no big deal.

• Locked thread