Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Literally Kermit posted:

That has to be a boring, lonely life.

Sorry no breaks, we gotta meet ghost brick quota this week

Warlock society is actually an elaborate pyramid scheme; sure the guys at the top get to talk to Demons and raise armies of Zombies, but if you get in at the bottom then it's nothing but ghost bricks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brutus Salad posted:

Warlock society is actually an elaborate pyramid scheme; sure the guys at the top get to talk to Demons and raise armies of Zombies, but if you get in at the bottom then it's nothing but ghost bricks. :v:

Has anyone said Brickcoin yet?

e: wait what, where am I

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
A heroic force of Ghostbusters has arrived! They ain't afraid of no ghost brick.

The Ghostbuster Peter Venkman and the Warlock are fighting!

Peter Venkman fires up *proton pack* and blasts Warlock, bursting everything with gore!

Peter Venkman Feels Good.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

ninjewtsu posted:

That's because now the entire world is running and updating in the background, while before time would only pass for your little fort

So that's it? No way to stop that and enjoy the new version? gently caress sake.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Just make a pocket sized world? even the medium worlds are too big for you to ever understand or see whats going on anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjewtsu posted:

That's because now the entire world is running and updating in the background, while before time would only pass for your little fort

Has it been determined that this is the cause? I haven't done the math on how the world-progress time would amortize across the frame loop, but I guess someone could based on how long the history portion of world gen takes on a given machine.

Does frame rate then improve if you have a same-sized embark on a smaller world?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Just make a pocket sized world? even the medium worlds are too big for you to ever understand or see whats going on anyway

This IS with pocket sized :( It's not the best laptop in the world but it's very new and should be absolutely fine. Bleh.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been making 'smaller' worlds and it gens 400 years of history in a few moments and runs at 100 fps without dipping.

Although the most dwarves I've gotten in a fort since 2014 came out is ~50 so it will probably start to lag as always with a big bustling fort.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Has it been determined that this is the cause? I haven't done the math on how the world-progress time would amortize across the frame loop, but I guess someone could based on how long the history portion of world gen takes on a given machine.

Does frame rate then improve if you have a same-sized embark on a smaller world?

Yeah, on a pocket world, it's very unlikely that world simulation is causing slowdown. There are a crapton of other FPS problems:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6549

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I had a turkey trying to get into a nestbox room that was sealed, and my fortress was hovering around 40 FPS. I made the door to the room pet passable, the turkey entered and my FPS shot back up to 159.

I'm sure there is all kinds of other dumb poo poo tanking framerate.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2014

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Morale needs to be buffed way higher for soldiers behind fortifications and people who have already seen/done terrible things. My fortress was attacked by a weregecko who are way way faster than I remember and also apparently trapavoid. Shouldn't have been a problem as I shut the drawbridge and got marksdwarves into their positions to fire from the gatehouses.

But all of them, including the militia commander who had previously killed a kobold thief by grabbing its tongue in her left hand and punching it in the head with her right until its skull caved in, refused to get close enough to the fortifications to fire at the goddam gecko as it stood and waited under the drawbridge(in retrospect I had an opportunity to crush him), and instead spent their time running around the corridors freaking out while the gecko shredded two mechanics who had been caught outside.

On the cool side one of the mechanics actually survived a weregecko bite then himself briefly turned into a weregecko and ate a crossbowman in the dormitory, then turned back and is now sleeping it off in the adjacent bed. From what I can tell either nobody saw this or nobody cares.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Obligatory:

"He turned me into a gecko!"

:crossarms:

"...I got better."

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, how do I locate my quest targets in adventure mode?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Alright, how do I locate my quest targets in adventure mode?

If you ask for directions to a location you should get "[You received a detailed explanation]" or something like that. Once that happens you can hit capital Q to go to the log, find the location on the list, and then hit Z to zoom to its location. It'll also show up on the map as a grey circle. This only works for the location, though. If you ask for the whereabouts of a creature/entity then they'll tell you where it is, but not how to get there. You can then ask for directions to the location they just said and you'll get the actually useful detailed explanation, its kinda dumb.

I think you could also ask someone to guide you but I tried that once and the guy didn't do any guiding worth a drat.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, but now everyone is running away from me and screaming or go into a murderous frenzy and start to kill their friends.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Mediocre posted:

What is he a 'doctor' of exactly :raise:

http://youtu.be/ujbvpdsKSkE (warning: goofy cartoon nudity)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gooses and Geeses posted:

This IS with pocket sized :( It's not the best laptop in the world but it's very new and should be absolutely fine. Bleh.

How long are you genning history for? I think I've heard that if your history is longer that also slows things down a lot, I'd assume because of there being many more historical figures to keep track of

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

scamtank posted:

40.06 string dump status:- An all-new kind of wound: partially butchered. Has an entry both in the health screen and creature description wound listings. Don't ask me.

:stare:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I thought that was mentioned in a devlog as being for when you cut off some horse chops from the horse corpse and then it gets reanimated by a necromancer or similar effect.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Someone mod up a meat cleaver weapon that, when it crits, causes 'partially butchered' on a location.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, cooking in this game feels almost like an exploit. I traded this for a set of steel platemail.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, cooking in this game feels almost like an exploit. I traded this for a set of steel platemail.

I love to exploit cooking. I used to save all the masterpieces meals for my own fort, so I was sad when I learned that dwarfs only get a happy thought from a meal if it includes one of their favorite foods. A masterpiece meal doesn't mean poo poo if it doesn't include your favorite food. :mad:

The filet mignon was okay, I guess, but it didn't have any peanut butter on it so meh.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Considering they only eat twice per season, that meal can let a family of four eat like kings for an entire year. Fair trade I'd say.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

esquilax posted:

Considering they only eat twice per season, that meal can let a family of four eat like kings for an entire year. Fair trade I'd say.

Plus it only weighs 22 palm trees. I'd wager a set of steel plate armor would be at least 50 douglas firs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Keeping my animals penned near the butcher; just slaughtered a few.

Nobody cares, not even the animals, except for one baby alpaca witnessing its fate and experiencing mortal fear.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Angela Christine posted:

I love to exploit cooking. I used to save all the masterpieces meals for my own fort, so I was sad when I learned that dwarfs only get a happy thought from a meal if it includes one of their favorite foods. A masterpiece meal doesn't mean poo poo if it doesn't include your favorite food. :mad:

The filet mignon was okay, I guess, but it didn't have any peanut butter on it so meh.

dont they automatically seek out foods that will make them happy though? if you have a variety of wolverine parts you're probably set

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

- An all-new kind of wound: partially butchered. Has an entry both in the health screen and creature description wound listings. Don't ask me.

Toady One on the 31st of July posted:

Reactions will also trim away pieces of bodies properly. All jobs that affect body components (anything that uses bone, for example) will now carve away pieces of the body component, which'll leave a "partially butchered" wound type on the limbs etc. that were used in jobs if the skeleton is animated.

It makes sense in context! :eng101:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
My militia has started attacking any dwarves that happen to be nearby when they're called to duty. This includes merchants, diplomats, and fellow fortress dwellers. There are no witnesses to these crimes even though they happen right by the trade depot. It's kind of annoying and dwindling my supply of useless haulers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verviticus posted:

dont they automatically seek out foods that will make them happy though? if you have a variety of wolverine parts you're probably set

As far as I've ever been able to tell they don't seek out their preference for anything. The go for the closest(ish) available thing that meets the job requirements. They won't seek out foods, drinks, fabrics or furniture materials that they prefer when choosing which item to grab.

The only time they seek out specific materials is during a mood.

Oh, and back when the economy was in the nobles and such would sometimes seek out items that made them happy. So a noble with a preference for figurines or gauntlets would go take a bunch of them to stash in his room.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
every time i looked at mood stuff in therapist a lot of my dwarves had "enjoyed a meal" of some level, and i really dont give cooks or food prep any effort at all. sometimes ill knock out a half dozen random meals but it felt like more than half of my dwarves had eaten something they liked in the past while so i just assumed they actively tried to find food that would make them happy

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

reading posted:

Does Toady care at all about the everyone-is-scared-of-their-shadow bug, or the bug that conquering armies always win? Hasn't he not even acknowledged those bugs? I'm worried he considers them "working as intended."

I asked him whether everyone being horrified at everything was a bug, because it makes fortress mode in particular a little easy. His response

Toady posted:

Yeah, it's a little extreme, especially in army battles. They need adrenalin or something.

This response is amazing because it suggests that perhaps the actual psychology of them fleeing battle (for whatever reason) is working as intended - it's just that there needs to be an additional layer to the simulation. I guess the adrenaline acting as a kind of counter balance to their fear.

Toady is awesome.

edit: makes sense when you consider those battles with multiple 'martial tranced' units, they might be horrified deep down but their overwhelming rage takes over!

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 5, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because obviously the solution is more complexity. :psydwarf:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am sure that the dwarves running from a few bones and dead mice in the refusepool is not intended.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DF2014: The solution is more complexity.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Honestly we should start to think about what hilarious bugs adrenaline will cause.

Butcher McUrist screams in battlefurry as he attacks the partly butchered corpse.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

:stare: That is the LAST loving thing we need.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

subhelios posted:

:stare: That is the LAST loving thing we need.

Are you kidding me? Think of all the fishers, hunters and miners.

Miner McUrist swings his pick, piercing the skull and tearing the brain.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Michaellaneous posted:

Honestly we should start to think about what hilarious bugs adrenaline will cause.

Butcher McUrist screams in battlefurry as he attacks the partly butchered corpse.

This is the problem

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Were creatures basically are battlefurries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay yeah. That is not at all what I meant, sorry.
Battlefury is it.

e: I also doubt that furries are able to battle anything other than their hunger for fastfood.