Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

philkop posted:

Just looking for some quick advice. I own my own business (philswallets.com) but I'm looking for a part time gig with benefits. (probably a teller at a bank)

Should I just leave out all of the work I have put into things like web design, product packaging, efficient production methods ect ect?

From what I gather I should tailor the resume for the job. I assume I may be doing some sales as well (setting up accounts.) So should my resume really just include stuff relevant to my sales and customer service skills? I feel like I am glossing over a whole lot, in fact the majority of what I do but it might just look better on paper that way.

You should mention your business as a side business and very much sell up the sales and customer service aspects. Being a bank teller nowadays is all sales, so showing that you're interested in that will help. You'll need to mention (in person when they talk to you) that you want to go into the industry because you wanted to impact more people or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
So I've been applying for jobs online and as a part of this ended up having my CV on some of these job sites so it is searchable to employers; didn't really expect anything to come of that since I'm a new graduate in a not-very-job-getting degree subject (Theatre) with little work experience.

I've been contacted by a recruitment firm called Holland and Tisdall about working for them (they left me a voicemail and and email). I haven't indicated in any way that I have experience in recruitment or that I'm looking to work in recruitment. The email comes with a bunch of docs talking about how awesome working in recruitment is (with exclamation marks!) and an offer to refer them other people and if they hire them I get £250.

I'm... very dubious. The only thing I've ever seen try to recruit me so hard is multilevel marketing scams. I am just not, on paper, the kind of candidate that you would seek out and try really hard to recruit. I can't help thinking this is some kind of scam...

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

loki k zen posted:

So I've been applying for jobs online and as a part of this ended up having my CV on some of these job sites so it is searchable to employers; didn't really expect anything to come of that since I'm a new graduate in a not-very-job-getting degree subject (Theatre) with little work experience.

I've been contacted by a recruitment firm called Holland and Tisdall about working for them (they left me a voicemail and and email). I haven't indicated in any way that I have experience in recruitment or that I'm looking to work in recruitment. The email comes with a bunch of docs talking about how awesome working in recruitment is (with exclamation marks!) and an offer to refer them other people and if they hire them I get £250.

I'm... very dubious. The only thing I've ever seen try to recruit me so hard is multilevel marketing scams. I am just not, on paper, the kind of candidate that you would seek out and try really hard to recruit. I can't help thinking this is some kind of scam...

Recruitment agencies are just glorified sales positions that have a massive turnaround of staff, it's probably not a scam but might not be the most enjoyable job

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had an interview today; interviewer was legit surprised that I had an answer ready for "Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker."

(Interview was a complete waste of time, the only job they have open would be a huge step backward professionally and she doesn't know what to make of my resume. I'm loving pissed at the headhunter.)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

loki k zen posted:

Always be very, very wary of cold calls from job sites if you don't have a ton of experience in a very specific high-demand area. If it was a legitimate job people would like to have people would be going to them to apply for it and they wouldn't have to go out hunting people down.

radlum
May 13, 2013
What's the best way to explain a drop in grades? I was asked to bring my Law School grades to an interview tomorrow and in my last years of classes they were slightly worse than before, mostly because of an internship I took in a law firm. I'd like to say that as an explanation for my grades, but I don't know if it's the best option.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

radlum posted:

What's the best way to explain a drop in grades? I was asked to bring my Law School grades to an interview tomorrow and in my last years of classes they were slightly worse than before, mostly because of an internship I took in a law firm. I'd like to say that as an explanation for my grades, but I don't know if it's the best option.

Grades or transcript? I wouldn't bring it up unless they ask, usually they just want to see what coursework you've done.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
Need a quick piece of interview advice.

I had an interview for the local school district for an IT support position. I had my first interview last week, and it went well. They want a short second interview tomorrow morning early. What do I wear for this? First interview I followed protocol and wore a suit and tie, and got interviewed by a panel, all of whom were wearing polo shirts and jeans/khakis. Should I go business casual or full suit for this?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Suit.

A good rule of thumb is to go one level above what the people in the office wear daily. If they're business casual, suit.

Personally, I'd say that if the job is office based, and not at a company that has made it clear that their culture doesn't include suit (ie, apple, maybe google?), wear a drat suit.

Everyone looks good in a suit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I feel I just look gangly and dorky in a suit.

Also, if there's I job I want to apply for that has both 'full-time' and 'contract' positions available, are there any significant differences in my chances if I applied specifically for one or the other?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I feel I just look gangly and dorky in a suit.

Get it tailored.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Speaking of suits, I'm a broke college student hoping for future interviews during school, and money's tight as it is, so is there a way I can get a tailored suit without breaking the bank?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

I'm thinking of just dropping the "Skills" section from my resume since it's all non-technical fluff. Would a resume just look too weird with only Education & Experience sections on it?

I'm also a current student looking for internships, the only experience that I do have is 4 years in the Marine Corps and before then a couple of years random office / odd jobs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Shipon posted:

Speaking of suits, I'm a broke college student hoping for future interviews during school, and money's tight as it is, so is there a way I can get a tailored suit without breaking the bank?

I have broad shoulders and a narrow waist so I need to get every fitted piece of clothing tailored. I just got a suit tailored for less than $30 (waist taken in and pants hemmed) by some lady with a shop in the mall. Tailoring doesn't have to be expensive.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

this little bastard posted:

I'm thinking of just dropping the "Skills" section from my resume since it's all non-technical fluff. Would a resume just look too weird with only Education & Experience sections on it?

I'm also a current student looking for internships, the only experience that I do have is 4 years in the Marine Corps and before then a couple of years random office / odd jobs.

CV style is basically that. My resume has always been a simple employment history, though this year I added an intro paragraph just to give some summary highlights of the most impressive stuff. Worked very well for me, but the tech industry is also a bit special when it comes to hiring, you can get away with some weird poo poo.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I just had a recruiter tell me to add what basically amounts to an objective statement in place of a summary on my resume. Specifically she wants me to say why I want to be a Chocolate Teapot Maker and then describe a bit of my Chocolate Teapot Polishing experience. I found this a little perplexing because the OP says:

quote:

Things that should never be on your resume, part 2: any "Objective" statement

Can anyone elaborate a bit on why she might be telling me this? I understand the idea behind not wanting to dedicate space to what you want out of a job, Is there a way to explain on a resume why you want a new job without sounding like a 19 year old looking for an internship?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Why you want a new job" goes in the cover letter.

Keep in mind that not all recruiters are in any way competent; I just had one send me to an interview at a place where they had no positions open and the interviewer had no idea what any of the stuff on my resume meant.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm about to apply for a job online that requires that I attach a cover letter (not a problem) and "salary requirements." I'm searching their site, and there's nothing that describes what they mean by that. Do I just put a blurb at the end of my resume that says I’d need some time to consider the benefits package, compare against the cost of living in the area, etc before discussing salary requirements?

Millions fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 7, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You include a cover letter and neglect to mention compensation anywhere. Make 'em ask. (Then don't answer)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

FrozenVent posted:

"Why you want a new job" goes in the cover letter.

Keep in mind that not all recruiters are in any way competent; I just had one send me to an interview at a place where they had no positions open and the interviewer had no idea what any of the stuff on my resume meant.

There's no cover letter and if there were nobody would read it. I think that answers my question though.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

If I'm unable to find the name of an HR rep or a manager despite scouring the main website and the department website, what should I do?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I had my third, fourth, and fifth interview for this job today. I am pretty sure it is me or one other person. I'm nervous :f5:

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Phadedsky posted:

If I'm unable to find the name of an HR rep or a manager despite scouring the main website and the department website, what should I do?
Just put something like Dear Hiring Manager. No one is going to care if you don't know their name.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Recently have a job interview in state government that I would absolutely love to get. The interview went well, and I have been working as an intern in the department that the interview was in (my internship supervisor was on the panel). Now I have to wait a few months as they go through the process required by the state for hiring. Apparently the position had over 150 applicants, but I'm hoping that my time as an unpaid intern will pay off.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one

NNick posted:

I had my third, fourth, and fifth interview for this job today. I am pretty sure it is me or one other person. I'm nervous :f5:

I had my 2nd for a job yesterday, and they basically said I was one of the top two, and they should be making a decision within the next 48 hrs.... everytime my phone rings I freak out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I'm expecting an email in the next few business days saying whether I'm rejected or they've bought me a plane ticket and hotel room and want to spend a whole day interviewing me at HQ.

Every time my phone notifies me of a new email I jump a little.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So I was just in a 4-5 hour interview for a company+position REALLY want to go to that included multiple teams and managers etc. Started off well but when we got to the technical questions it seems like all the programmers just sort of thought of questions on the spot (which I don't as such blame them for having been in their position - it's usually just an annoying interruption in your day, though I at least try to prepare the more in-depth questions and keep them on file).

So this guy threw this cache+scaling question at me that was framed in such a way that there was no good solution for it other than just a simple cache with time based expiration, but he insisted that no, there is totes something else I can do to deal with having any given client's view of the cached data consistent. Eventually I give up and I ask him "ok I'm just super curious, how would you do this??" and he give me some vague answer involving keeping revision numbers. But I just keep thinking back on it today and I'm like 99% sure that was a bunch of bullshit because with the way he framed the question you have no reason to update arbitrary parts of the cached data separately anyway meaning there is no loving consistency problem to to deal with (unless it's just a matter of not being able to update the cache atomically, in which case, yes a loving revision number would solve that particular problem - which is IMO pretty drat unrelated to what he was talking about).

And really I loving hate these "gotcha" questions where the guy basically wants to hear this one particular thing he thought he was very clever to think of and that's it. Another technical team also hit me with a bunch of "write a function on paper" questions (urgh) which were basically just relied on knowing some relatively common CompSci 101 problems - i.e. if you happened to have looked at those recently, it's trivial, and if not you have to solve some famously easy-to-fuckup problem on the spot.

It's just so very frustrating! I kind of want to just up and call them and go "Motherfuckers, do you even know how a technical interview is supposed to work? Because I really don't think you do." "Gotcha"-questions are just a waste of everybody's time and don't find you good programmers. Whiteboard/paper programming is for looking at how the candidate approaches the problem and bounces things off you, not just staring at them staring at the whiteboard. You know uncomfortable it is to try and do actual serious thinking with people quietly staring right at you?

Is there anything I can actually do at this point? Is it worth trying to follow up with any of the people involved? Beh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

It's just so very frustrating! I kind of want to just up and call them and go "Motherfuckers, do you even know how a technical interview is supposed to work? Because I really don't think you do."

Do not do this.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Is there anything I can actually do at this point? Is it worth trying to follow up with any of the people involved? Beh.

Move on with your life, keep applying places.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

FrozenVent posted:

Do not do this.
Well obvs.

quote:

Move on with your life, keep applying places.

:(

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Perhaps a boombox outside their window and a screaming "BABY CANT YOU SEE HOW GOOD WE'D BE TOGETHER"?

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I have a brief question about time-gap. I think my resume is pretty good, but I have been unemployed for almost a loving year now. I can explain the time a few ways (helped publish a paper for free, took care of family matters) but will the fact that I haven't had a job in the year keep me from even getting the interview in the first place? I'm technically managing the house I'm renting (and sub-renting) and I'm technically on the books as part-time employed by a lab (but in reality it's been 10 hours of work total). Should I add those things just to have recent stuff?

I actually have had several interviews, but maybe I'm missing even more.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Thanks to redundancy I'm hurling CVs out into the ether at a fair clip. I'm now finding myself in a position where I have an interview next week for one job, one that really likes my CV that's put the recruitment for the role on hold for a couple of weeks, and a couple of other things that are looking promising too. The one I have the interview for is the one that I like the look of least out of all of them, but it's the one that I'm furthest down the process on.

I'm thinking a few moves ahead here and wondering what happens if I get this one and then later also manage to get one of the ones I'd prefer and accept it. I'm assuming I'd burn a bridge to the first company but is there anything else to consider?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Thanks to redundancy I'm hurling CVs out into the ether at a fair clip. I'm now finding myself in a position where I have an interview next week for one job, one that really likes my CV that's put the recruitment for the role on hold for a couple of weeks, and a couple of other things that are looking promising too. The one I have the interview for is the one that I like the look of least out of all of them, but it's the one that I'm furthest down the process on.

I'm thinking a few moves ahead here and wondering what happens if I get this one and then later also manage to get one of the ones I'd prefer and accept it. I'm assuming I'd burn a bridge to the first company but is there anything else to consider?

I'm going to assume by "get" you mean officially accept an offer.

If you take an offer and a few weeks later take an other offer you are going to do much more than burn a bridge. You'll seriously damage your reputation in whatever industry you're in and come across flaky and unreliable.

By "redudancy" though I'm assuming you're in magical socialist UK land so my advice may not apply.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
That reminds me: How long is long enough to gently caress off for a better offer? Is 6 months quite enough? I have 8 months at the position I'm planning on leaving...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Mr. Wynand posted:

That reminds me: How long is long enough to gently caress off for a better offer? Is 6 months quite enough? I have 8 months at the position I'm planning on leaving...

Yeah, that's reasonable. I wouldn't make a habit out of always looking for a new job after 6 months, but if it's not working out, it's not working out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

seacat posted:

I'm going to assume by "get" you mean officially accept an offer.

If you take an offer and a few weeks later take an other offer you are going to do much more than burn a bridge. You'll seriously damage your reputation in whatever industry you're in and come across flaky and unreliable.

By "redudancy" though I'm assuming you're in magical socialist UK land so my advice may not apply.

That was what I meant, yeah - and fair enough, maybe I should see how far I can push my negotiating salary and such with this first one. The redundancy payout means I can afford to not accept it if it isn't good enough.

And yeah, I'm in the UK. And I've also been out of the jobs market for like a decade and have literally no idea what's acceptable and what isn't, so thanks for the advice!

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I had a video interview this morning. I feel like I did ok. I've been rehearsing a whole lot, but I think its unlikely the the company will hire me.

In any case I still want to follow up with thank you notes to the three people interviewing me. I was so nervous at the time that I forgot all but one of my interviewers names. Ironically the quietest one. Should I e-mail the person who setup the interview and ask for their names and e-mails?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xeom posted:

So I had a video interview this morning. I feel like I did ok. I've been rehearsing a whole lot, but I think its unlikely the the company will hire me.

In any case I still want to follow up with thank you notes to the three people interviewing me. I was so nervous at the time that I forgot all but one of my interviewers names. Ironically the quietest one. Should I e-mail the person who setup the interview and ask for their names and e-mails?

I wouldn't do that, but prepare a genericish thank you note and ask the recruiter to forward it to your panel.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If my company gives me an award for outstanding performance, is it worth adding to my resume or would it look stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Is it appropriate to apply to job postings now when I would not be able to start working anywhere until February?