Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Busy Bee posted:

When I was cleaning my room I found a check that was written to me last year and I'm not 100% positive if I cashed it. I've used mobile deposit in the past so I'm not sure if this check can still be cashed or not. Is there an easy way that I can check?

Take it into a bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Busy Bee posted:

When I was cleaning my room I found a check that was written to me last year and I'm not 100% positive if I cashed it. I've used mobile deposit in the past so I'm not sure if this check can still be cashed or not. Is there an easy way that I can check?

Either your bank can look it up, or maaybe call the issuing bank and see if they'll verify it for you (some banks will, some will not). If it hasn't been cashed it's probably stale dated so you'll have to seek a replacement from whoever wrote it to you.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If you haven't remote deposited it: Call the person who wrote it. If you're trying to be sneaky deposit it at your bank and don't mention the date. Wait a week to be super sure that it cleared but be prepared for a chargeback fee. As a last resort try to cash it at the bank it's drawn on. Stale dates are firmer with business checks than personal checks, by the way.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Mescal posted:

Stale dates are firmer with business checks than personal checks, by the way.

Not sure what you mean by this, but at both the banks I worked for stale dated checks were to be turned away, period, even personal checks drawn on our own bank, so I wouldn't count on softer regulations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

Not sure what you mean by this, but at both the banks I worked for stale dated checks were to be turned away, period, even personal checks drawn on our own bank, so I wouldn't count on softer regulations.

I work at a bank and I can tell you that a lot of the time, dates don't mean poo poo.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well then it does vary from bank to bank so it's not something someone should count on. I'm surprised your bank allows it: if the originating bank follows the rules and returned it once alerted by their customer, it should come back as a mark against the teller that allowed it. That kind of thing looks ugly on an audit, the banks I worked at had training videos and actual tests about stale dated checks, proper endorsements, etc.

E: and one of them was a real piece of poo poo bank, which is why I'm surprised

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My credit card got compromised and changed a while back, which hosed up a bunch of scheduled pre-authorized charges. Among them was a gym membership and I just got a notice from them saying that my outstanding balance was sent to a collections agency. The amount isn't too bad (less than $200), but their notice made no mention of the agency I should be dealing with...

What's my next step? Will this gently caress with my credit score at all?

I live in Alberta, Canada.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

Well then it does vary from bank to bank so it's not something someone should count on. I'm surprised your bank allows it.

I'm not saying any bank allows it. If somebody hands me an old check I'm going to make sure that it's still good per whoever signed it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

I'm not saying any bank allows it. If somebody hands me an old check I'm going to make sure that it's still good per whoever signed it.

If I just chucked a cheque into an ATM what would happen? Does a computer scan the date at some point and make sure it's not past the latest date or before the date on the cheque?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'd like to connect a device to my home network that is in a spot that would make it difficult to connect with cables. Are there wireless devices that can approach wired speeds? I'm looking for something other than WiFi, if that's possible.

I think something like this is what I need, but I'm wondering if there are better options.

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/7670959

If you're not willing to snake some ethernet cable then, yes, that is your best option for the price. I bought a $30 set last year to get a blu-ray player online in a back room and it's worked like a charm for months. Twice I've had to unplug them and reset the connection, but that might have been the fault of my cheap router or the cheap blu-ray player.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

tuyop posted:

If I just chucked a cheque into an ATM what would happen? Does a computer scan the date at some point and make sure it's not past the latest date or before the date on the cheque?

At that point if it's rejected it's probably going to be the bank of the person who wrote it to you that is going to, meaning it could even be weeks before it came back (if it did - it might go unnoticed, but it's not something i'd depend on, because if it comes back it's coming out of your account plus a fee). It kind of depends on how the banks process it.

Mescal posted:

Sorry, when you said "personal checks are softer" and "dates don't mean poo poo," I assumed you were talking about your bank's approach, since you were advising the guy to try and deposit it in his bank. It's just not smart to try and depend on the inattention or incompetence of an employee because even if it makes it through the teller line that's no guarantee you've got the funds for good, as you know.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'd like to connect a device to my home network that is in a spot that would make it difficult to connect with cables. Are there wireless devices that can approach wired speeds? I'm looking for something other than WiFi, if that's possible.

I think something like this is what I need, but I'm wondering if there are better options.

On the wireless side 802.11N has a theoretical limit of 300mb/s and 802.11ac has a theoretical limit of 1000mb/s. These speeds are obviously very dependant on interference etc. I have not tried the above product myself, but I've heard the speeds vary greatly depending on the quality of your electric cabling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Never buy powerline networking stuff from any place that won't let you return for a full refund, it's exceedingly difficult to tell ahead of time whether any setup will work in your own place. When it works, it works great, and you can get excellent speeds; but it's just as easy to end up in a situation where it doesn't connect at all or connects but at exceedingly slow rates.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

My credit card got compromised and changed a while back, which hosed up a bunch of scheduled pre-authorized charges. Among them was a gym membership and I just got a notice from them saying that my outstanding balance was sent to a collections agency. The amount isn't too bad (less than $200), but their notice made no mention of the agency I should be dealing with...

What's my next step? Will this gently caress with my credit score at all?

I live in Alberta, Canada.

They're probably bluffing to get you to pay them money. Any reputable business would just cancel your membership when your CC stopped accepting charges. Give em a call and escalate until you can talk to a manager that'll just wipe it away.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Where's that one thread with the goon having various humorous things reflected in his glasses? I can't find it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jon Joe posted:

Where's that one thread with the goon having various humorous things reflected in his glasses? I can't find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616673

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Thanks, funny enough I found it right after I posted, apparently I am blind. :downs:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anyone learned to wink an eye they couldn't previously? I can only wink my left eye. Haven't found any solid/scientific info online if it's genetic, or a learned behaviour.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Deadclown posted:

On the wireless side 802.11N has a theoretical limit of 300mb/s and 802.11ac has a theoretical limit of 1000mb/s. These speeds are obviously very dependant on interference etc. I have not tried the above product myself, but I've heard the speeds vary greatly depending on the quality of your electric cabling.

I do have access to fast WiFi, but I'm concerned about the interference. From what I've been reading powerline networks can be as fast, but with less interference.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Never buy powerline networking stuff from any place that won't let you return for a full refund, it's exceedingly difficult to tell ahead of time whether any setup will work in your own place. When it works, it works great, and you can get excellent speeds; but it's just as easy to end up in a situation where it doesn't connect at all or connects but at exceedingly slow rates.

Good advice. It's not of much use to me if it's no more reliable than WiFi.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah the main thing is it entirely depends on how your house's power is wired and routed. There can be cases where the next room over won't have reliable networking over power in any of the outlets, but across the house works perfect or vice versa. But if it does work, you can reliably expect 500 megabit speeds across a pretty far way.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dominoes posted:

Anyone learned to wink an eye they couldn't previously? I can only wink my left eye. Haven't found any solid/scientific info online if it's genetic, or a learned behaviour.

Out of curiousity, what's your dominant eye? I've got a dominant left eye but I can wink with both of my eyes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

Well this is weird. How did you spend your early childhood if not learning things like ambiwinking and whistling? (Not saying you can't whistle, but some grown rear end people can't and have to learn :colbert:)

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
My friend couldn't whistle until he lost an fault tooth, now he whistles when he talks :)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

tuyop posted:

Well this is weird. How did you spend your early childhood if not learning things like ambiwinking and whistling? (Not saying you can't whistle, but some grown rear end people can't and have to learn :colbert:)
I can't whistle.

Fragrag posted:

Out of curiousity, what's your dominant eye? I've got a dominant left eye but I can wink with both of my eyes.
Not sure, but my right eye has a bit better distance vision.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 6, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On sinks with separate, symmetric hot/cold handles, why do some of the cold handles turn off clockwise and others turn off counterclockwise? Is it just a cruel industry joke?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hooah posted:

On sinks with separate, symmetric hot/cold handles, why do some of the cold handles turn off clockwise and others turn off counterclockwise? Is it just a cruel industry joke?

It's to prevent the uninitiated from accidentally triggering the summoning ritual.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This whole "dat ___ tho" meme, is that even proper grammar? Also, when people say things that don't really go anywhere and have no context, something like, "When you smash your fingat."?

I don't know why but seeing that stuff makes my brain hurt.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Of course it's not proper grammar, it's just dumb internet bullshit.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Lblitzer posted:

"When you smash your fingat."?

That definitely makes my brain hurt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dominoes posted:

I can wink both eyes, but I can move muscles on the left side of my face independently that I have no idea how to duplicate on the right side. For example, I can smile or frown with just the left side of my mouth, but to get the right side to move I have to move the left side too. I've often wondered why that is.

tuyop posted:

I can't whistle. My sister can't wink.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I used to not be able to wink my left eye but I figured it out. I actually can't frown at all.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Not sure, but my right eye has a bit better distance vision.

How can you not know which is your dominant eye? Do you know which is your dominant hand?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Loopyface posted:

How can you not know which is your dominant eye? Do you know which is your dominant hand?

Lol what? I didnt even know dominant eyes were a thing

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol what? I didnt even know dominant eyes were a thing

Hold your thumb out at arms length and use it to cover up a spot in the distance, like a lightswitch or something. Now close one eye. Is the spot still covered? If so, the open eye is your dominant eye.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hold your thumb out at arms length and use it to cover up a spot in the distance, like a lightswitch or something. Now close one eye. Is the spot still covered? If so, the open eye is your dominant eye.

How does that work? if it's across the room you can't focus on both so you wind up seeing two thumbs or two lightswitches and then which eye keeps it covered just depends on which ghost lightswitch you cover up.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I tend to use both eyes at the same time for most things, which I think most people also do, unless they have one eye, and then it's obvious which eye is dominant.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I know my right eyes the dominant one because my left has shittier vision.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Apparently eye dominance is a hard thing for some people to understand. You know when you close one eye to line something up with something else? To aim? The eye that stays open is your dominant eye.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Huntersoninski posted:

How does that work? if it's across the room you can't focus on both so you wind up seeing two thumbs or two lightswitches and then which eye keeps it covered just depends on which ghost lightswitch you cover up.
This is the test I've used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Close your eyes, lay your index finger along the length of your nose, in the middle. Open your eyes; while looking forward, whichever side you see the finger as being on is your dominant eye.

People also have a dominant foot, apparently. It's the one you use to kick poo poo most of the time.