Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Musluk posted:

Are you sure you're using a bio crossbow? Because recluse is literally the fart out aoe clouds of gaseous death: the frame.

Emphasis added just for clarification. I throw on the 40% or whatever less damage to yourself perk because that is where most of my damage comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Post in case anyone tries to find me here from in-game after applying.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

Emphasis added just for clarification. I throw on the 40% or whatever less damage to yourself perk because that is where most of my damage comes from.

I like to live dangerously :getin: 0 survival perks whatsoever. Health Leech is keeping me alive so far, but I foresee many a death for me in the future.

Just did BWA with a friend, first time after the release. It's changed a bit, not sure if I like the new one because Necronos just tore us a new hole. Can we cheese it by getting behind it or something?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Musluk posted:

I like to live dangerously :getin: 0 survival perks whatsoever. Health Leech is keeping me alive so far, but I foresee many a death for me in the future.

Just did BWA with a friend, first time after the release. It's changed a bit, not sure if I like the new one because Necronos just tore us a new hole. Can we cheese it by getting behind it or something?

Get behind it on the rock pile on the left side of the arena he spawns in.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Musluk posted:

Yes. Getting behind rocks is a good idea. Stage 1 and 2 he has the same attacks. The ground fucker that leaves the poison gas clouds all over the ground, and the heat seeking death dongs. If he uses the ground fucker attack, stay off the ground. If he uses the dong attack, hide behind hard cover until they all pass. Shoot whenever able. Since his attacks are pretty much all frontal, getting behind him or off to the far sides will spawn wave after wave of chosen adds so you spend more time fighting them than the boss. Stay out front, but at range and with cover nearby. When he's in stage 3, he does the death beam that destroys people even if they're behind hard cover so your only shot is to stand far off to the side. Luckily, adds don't spawn during that part.

Brekelefuw posted:

Get behind it on the rock pile on the left side of the arena he spawns in.

That rock is gone and it's pointless now that the adds are a serious thing. RIP Exploit Rock of PTS days.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Inimicul posted:

Yes. Getting behind rocks is a good idea. Stage 1 and 2 he has the same attacks. The ground fucker that leaves the poison gas clouds all over the ground, and the heat seeking death dongs. If he uses the ground fucker attack, stay off the ground. If he uses the dong attack, hide behind hard cover until they all pass. Shoot whenever able. Since his attacks are pretty much all frontal, getting behind him or off to the far sides will spawn wave after wave of chosen adds so you spend more time fighting them than the boss. Stay out front, but at range and with cover nearby. When he's in stage 3, he does the death beam that destroys people even if they're behind hard cover so your only shot is to stand far off to the side. Luckily, adds don't spawn during that part.

That rock is gone and it's pointless now that the adds are a serious thing. RIP Exploit Rock of PTS days.

I hid behind a rock last night while doing it.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Inimicul posted:

We went back in since it didn't count for my quest progression; we tried to get behind him. We failed on that, but we managed to perch upon one of those spider statues to the left, we didn't encounter any adds. The laser completely misses the 2nd and 3rd statute on the left, fourth gets hit. You can LoS the racing laser dongs.

Clearly, we need to do more tests - but chainrunning the same dungeon made me quit so many MMO's so I guess I'll pass on more tests for the day.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Bikes are up to 10k credits on the marketplace :(

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
Probably been asked before and I really don't want to read the official forums because gently caress that place, but are we going to get invasions back? I saw a Chosen squad try and take over a watchtower last night but the guards are so buff now they killed the squad before I could get to it. What about incursions? Haven't seen an incursion since 1.0 either.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

permanoob posted:

Probably been asked before and I really don't want to read the official forums because gently caress that place, but are we going to get invasions back? I saw a Chosen squad try and take over a watchtower last night but the guards are so buff now they killed the squad before I could get to it. What about incursions? Haven't seen an incursion since 1.0 either.

incursions only happen in Devils Tusk now.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I've applied to GOON2, my in-game name is Hlebard.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Apple Craft posted:

Bikes are up to 10k credits on the marketplace :(

What you meant to say was "Bikes are down to 10k! Hot drat, they've half the price they were last week. They're almost affordable again."

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

permanoob posted:

Chosen still attacks POIs in Sertao and OCT in Sertao has a Invasion like event that is pretty great. Incursions are only in DT far as I know.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Musluk posted:

Are you sure you're using a bio crossbow? Because recluse is literally the fart out aoe clouds: the frame.

Yes but the BWA drop has 0.5m base instead of the usual >4m

Kikilupo
Apr 3, 2005

Morglon posted:

Yep. Did BWA the first time the other day, got a shiny new crossbow, all excited to use it. Take it out and I'm trying to kill things and it just wasnt happening with the alt fire. Take a look and it's .6m aoe with a weapon mod.

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
Applying to Goon2, looking forward to not playing by myself

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Sin Blade perk is hilarious, so far the ultimate melee build looks like

Base Perks (1pt):
Base Perk: Movement .5
Base Perk: Run Speed 5%
Accord Dread Perk: 10% while holstered.

Intermediate (2pt):
TigerClaw Perk: .5m move & .5%
Accord Dread Perk: 20% melee damage & knockback.

Advanced (5pts):
Raptor Perk: Sin Blade

Add in a 1m movement speed core:

Totals:
2m Movement Speed
20% Run Speed (While Holstered)
Sin Blade + 20%Dmg and Knockback.

Does anyone else know any good synergies?

Seanightjar
Apr 1, 2011

Applying for goons2 as "hitIersboner"

Been playing nighthawk after leveling a biotech frame (which was terrible).

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Morglon posted:

What.

That's stupid :psyduck:

Oh well, good thing I found a non-necro blue and put shittons of aoe mods on it, 6m splash radius is hilarious :getin:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Applying for Goon Squad Two as "Mirkali". Been doing this engineer thing since I played Dread during the beta.

I find it amazing that this game's corpse somehow crawled out of the vat of acid that it was disposed of in that was sealed in cement and sent to the bottom of the ocean. Perhaps Mechwarrior Online has hop- AHAHAHAHA, just kidding.

Question: What should one sell on the market? What's worth selling? Do people buy weapons/mods/etc. under level 30 or whatever on the market? And is there a way to make a bike go faster on that ramp on the mountain outside of Trans Hub? I spawned one of those one-off bikes and was very disappointed.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
The one off bikes are slower than the Red Bean'd bikes, you still wont get incredible distance off the ramp but at least with the new handling its more functional (You used to just crash into the lowest point and kill your velocity). People do buy weapons and mods but the way the economy and 'power rating' is at the moment, some people will only buy Lv40 Purples unless they're desperate. The fastest selling thing are Uranium Cores, difficult to get but it's about the only thing that hasn't been engulfed with a surplus to have it's price tank completely. Though, I've heard some of the lowest quality materials haven't tanked to a 1:1 yet, most Uranium spinoffs already have.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
You can still get a few credits for Biomaterials and Electronics components. Metals are the ones that are almost fully tanked.

Semiconductors in particular I'm finding to be easy to get, yet sell for a decent amount.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Applying to Goon Squad Two (GOON2) as Murderizer, cause I feel like joining up.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I've finally decided that, much as I like the Dreadnought, I can't deal with how slow it is in a game with this much running about. I started mucking about with the recon, and while I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the dread the game certainly feels a whole lot less tedious.

Unrelated: is it worth grouping up in the early game? It seems like the XP split defeats any increase in speed that you might get from working with someone else.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

ChickenWing posted:

I've finally decided that, much as I like the Dreadnought, I can't deal with how slow it is in a game with this much running about. I started mucking about with the recon, and while I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the dread the game certainly feels a whole lot less tedious.

Unrelated: is it worth grouping up in the early game? It seems like the XP split defeats any increase in speed that you might get from working with someone else.

You never split xp, everybody gets the full amount. gently caress, you even get the full amount when you cough at an enemy someone else is killing.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Morglon posted:

You never split xp, everybody gets the full amount. gently caress, you even get the full amount when you cough at an enemy someone else is killing.

Huh the job I did must just have been dumb.

Related: does thumping always give XP? It doesn't display it on the rewards screen occasionally.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I haven't spent any real money on this game but I'm considering it in order to get a couple of battleframes. Is the smartest thing to buy beans, convert the beans to credits, and then buy the pilot's licenses with the credits? I'm not sure of all the currencies, but it looks like Beans ($$$), Credits (no clue how to get these), and Crystite (found by playing). I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Can I convert every currency into every other currency? Crystite to beans, etc?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scags posted:

I haven't spent any real money on this game but I'm considering it in order to get a couple of battleframes. Is the smartest thing to buy beans, convert the beans to credits, and then buy the pilot's licenses with the credits? I'm not sure of all the currencies, but it looks like Beans ($$$), Credits (no clue how to get these), and Crystite (found by playing). I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Can I convert every currency into every other currency? Crystite to beans, etc?

In theory, and this was my plan as well. It appears the economy is utterly insane right now and I want no part of it. Theoretically the best thing to do is buy the frames with credits, but converting beans to credits is a long rear end process right now because the market is flooded.

I'm considering just buying it outright, and a recluse frame too because I'm tired of not making GBS threads AOE everywhere like a Tribes Affliction Warlock

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Scags posted:

Credits are only used on the market. Crystite is used for manufacturing and research. You can convert red beans to credits, and you can convert crystite to credits; that is the only way to get credits (apart from selling things on the market). I believe the most economical way to get a new frame is to convert red beans to credits and buy it rather than spending the red beans to unlock it. I think just comparing the market conversion rate and cost of the frame with the red bean cost of the frame can verify this.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
After debating which advanced frame to unlock first I went with the Firecat, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed when compared to the base assault. I feel like I take a lot more damage with this play style but don't really dish out any more. The splash increase with the thermal cannon is negligible, at least starting out. Immolate is handy for trash mobs but the higher hp enemies hurt more when I'm in immolate range. Also, the secondary fire on the thermal cannon doesn't seem to activate the passive Firecat ability as advertised (catching enemies on fire for DoT damage). I am only level 10 with the Firecat so far, and I will stick with it. These are just my initial thoughts.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Upsides to Firefall:
  • Looks decent.
  • Characters control well and combat feels fluid.
  • Gameplay is fun when you can actually find enough people to get a squad going.

Downsides to Firefall:
  • Nobody uses the LFG tool so finding groups for anything sucks dick.
  • The voice acting is hilariously bad and the writing behind it isn't much better. Normally a poor story and voice work is excusable but considering how barebones the solo experience is in this game it's way more apparent.
  • The advanced frames don't feel worth the investment with the exception of the hilariously unbalanced Recluse (and by that I mean every other class needs to be boosted to Recluses power level because holy poo poo it's the only one I don't feel like killing NPCs is a chore with).
  • Crafting is poo poo and too resource intensive (I'm looking at you, terrible research trees)
  • Red Bean cosmetics are way overpriced.
  • Each city needs some kind of a teleport between major hubs option... unless I'm missing something? The Dropships are horrible and it feels like waiting for the loving zepplin in vanilla WoW all over again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

The advanced frames don't feel worth the investment with the exception of the hilariously unbalanced Recluse (and by that I mean every other class needs to be boosted to Recluses power level because holy poo poo it's the only one I don't feel like killing NPCs is a chore with).

Have you tried the dread frames? I find the easiest and most powerful frame to be Arsenal at the moment.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Each city needs some kind of a teleport between major hubs option... unless I'm missing something? The Dropships are horrible and it feels like waiting for the loving zepplin in vanilla WoW all over again.

Agreed, dropships are absolute poo poo. Half the time I just clip through or bug out of them too.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah the base dread was decent on power but I can't deal with moving that slow in a game that punishes you for hitting "E" on the job board.

I got a nighthawk to 21 and decided that unless I'm in a group it's pretty much rear end to solo with because headshots are buggy and some NPCs take way too many shots to down for a gun with a 5 round clip (Although when their skills are off cooldown the explosions do good work). I'm basically going to level that one painfully and use it for PvP.

Recluse just shits damage everywhere and practically heals itself to full all the time, with a decent run speed. It took me half the time to level my recluse up to 20 than it did the hawk.

Also are you playing this now because I might be willing to suicide pact on very fiscally irresponsible red bean purchases....

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

SamEyeAm posted:

After debating which advanced frame to unlock first I went with the Firecat, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed when compared to the base assault. I feel like I take a lot more damage with this play style but don't really dish out any more. The splash increase with the thermal cannon is negligible, at least starting out. Immolate is handy for trash mobs but the higher hp enemies hurt more when I'm in immolate range. Also, the secondary fire on the thermal cannon doesn't seem to activate the passive Firecat ability as advertised (catching enemies on fire for DoT damage). I am only level 10 with the Firecat so far, and I will stick with it. These are just my initial thoughts.

The Firecat is one of those frames that really picks up speed around level 30, and once you hit 40 and get properly geared out, you are an unstoppable monster of fire spewing death that -never has to touch the ground ever again-.
Yes. You can fly forever.

The secondary fire works best fired downwards, so that the shots explode rather than deflect. Bear in mind, secondary does significantly higher DPS than just spamming your primary. Use primary on groups, or at long distance if you don't trust your aim with the secondary fire/the angle does not suit.

My suggested skills for the cat are:

Thermal wave - Excellent crowd-clearing, interrupt, knockback, high damage and a great finisher.
Burn Jets - Firecat loves having a vertical advantage on enemies, this gives you advantage plus burning things beneath you - also part of the Travelcat/infinity flight.
Inferno Dash - This is both for mobility and decent damage - excellent for grabbing aggro, as mobs will tend to flock after you and into the flames when hit. Also part of Travelcat and infinite flying.

Travelcat, as has been mentioned, uses the Afterburner skill in place of Thermal Wave, giving you 2 mobility boosts. Combine these with burn jets to fly upwards, vertically, for something approaching 100-200 meters at a time. Do this while gliding and you can cross most zones in no time.

INVEST IN COOLDOWN. Drop the 2-3K Market credits to buy yourself 4 epic quality 'cooled' modules, of whatever level you can use. With enough cooldown, you can keep yourself flying indefinitely by chaining the cooldown on Inferno Dash and Burn Jets while spewing fire on all beneath you.

I also highly recommend the Energy Core - the added jet fuel keeps you flying longer, which helps feed into the Cat's love for showering fire on everything else.

Again - you will probably feel that your damage is a little lacklustre until later levels, where you suddenly start annihilating enemies in a massive area in 2-3 hits. Use burn jets effectively to cluster your enemies beneath you as they try to chase, and just shoot downwards for maximum doom harvest.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 5, 2014

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

SamEyeAm posted:

Get a decent primary with some aoe on it and I think things will change. Id drop immolate in favor of overcharge or crater. Crater is fun because you get scaling damage based on your height, and overcharge just turns you into a machine gun. The aoe is key, it lets you focus on speed and dodging and not having to plink something on the chest from 50-100 yards out.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah I've tried getting all the base frames a try but holy poo poo the Dread is so loving slow. Everything about it is slow. Slow moving, tiny jump, weapon spinup. You have a ton of health but you NEED it on that frame, other frames just dodge around and avoid damage, Dread has no option but eat it like a sucker. I was grouped with a Dread when I was playing my Biotech and my walk speed was higher than his sprint speed.

I'm really spoiled by my Tigerclaw which I have the base movement speed up to 9.2 so far, I can probably get it up higher with a better Run Speed core and a few perks.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

DarkDobe posted:

The secondary fire works best fired downwards, so that the shots explode rather than deflect. Bear in mind, secondary does significantly higher DPS than just spamming your primary. Use primary on groups, or at long distance if you don't trust your aim with the secondary fire/the angle does not suit.

Might want to fool around with reticules. The secondary doesn't really suffer from the parabolic arc the primary does, the drawback is that the three shots won't necessarily stick to dead center. I use the reticule that is a triangular shape made up of three, three sided rectangles, with the open end facing the center of the reticule. Any mob that ends up in that area ends up dead.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

Yeah I've tried getting all the base frames a try but holy poo poo the Dread is so loving slow. Everything about it is slow. Slow moving, tiny jump, weapon spinup. You have a ton of health but you NEED it on that frame, other frames just dodge around and avoid damage, Dread has no option but eat it like a sucker. I was grouped with a Dread when I was playing my Biotech and my walk speed was higher than his sprint speed.

I'm really spoiled by my Tigerclaw which I have the base movement speed up to 9.2 so far, I can probably get it up higher with a better Run Speed core and a few perks.
9.6m/s is the max with a Tigerclaw with a purple Run Speed Core and Prototype Pistons (+0.5m/s) and Quick-Pivot Servos (+0.5m/s, +5% sprint). If you're using the Get a Move On perk (+15% run), you can run 11.04m/s with your gun holstered. The Hyper Kinesis Surge perk lets you run 12.48m/s when you activate your HKM.

Keep in mind, though, that any Assault, Engineer, or Biotech frame can reach these speeds with a purple Run Speed Core and appropriate perks. If you want to go super fast, use a Recon frame. They have a higher base speed than the other classes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
New player. Logging out Sunday night I got a notice that "tomorrow" all the advanced frames would unlock for 12 or 24 hours or something like that. I didn't see any option to try them out yesterday. Is this buggy or did I miss it somehow?

Also: how's mammoth vs. rhino? Most of what I can find on the mammoth looks outdated, more recent reports seem to say it's not all that tankier than the other dread variants while having much worse offense than before a recent balance patch.

Edit: Also are there any visual frame customization besides paint options? Anything that affects the actual model? Or will you always look the same forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Fina posted:

This is balanced out by the fact that murdering everything forever with the minigun is so much goddamn fun. Maybe it's just me, but I get a serious spess muhreen vibe defending a thumper from infinity aranhas (I'm only level 10 so that probably has a bit of an effect on my experience :v:)

• Locked thread