Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Venusy posted:

The recovery tool couldn't detect my Lumia 820. Thankfully, I've now figured out that taking the Micro SD card out at least allows it to boot back to 8.1 with no problems. If I reinsert the micro SD and try to update again, the same thing happens. If I try to update without the Micro SD inserted, the gears only display briefly, and the update then fails with error 80188308 (which seems like it's happening to a lot of people).

Belfiore tweeted that they're looking into this. It's probably worth following him to know when the problem has been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I managed to get the new 8.1 update 1 developer preview thing on my 920 and it seems to be running really well at the moment. Cortana does seem a bit slow, though, but I'm not sure if that's because it's the UK beta version or if it's because my 920 is getting a bit slow. Also I wish they would hurry up and release Lumia Cyan over here on 920!

Also, regarding the 930, I thought they had problems with overheating on that phone. If those have been fixed than that's great and it means I might get one maybe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I managed to get the new 8.1 update 1 developer preview thing on my 920 and it seems to be running really well at the moment. Cortana does seem a bit slow, though, but I'm not sure if that's because it's the UK beta version or if it's because my 920 is getting a bit slow. Also I wish they would hurry up and release Lumia Cyan over here on 920!

Also, regarding the 930, I thought they had problems with overheating on that phone. If those have been fixed than that's great and it means I might get one maybe.

I haven't exactly used it heavily yet but I notice no heat after charging (usb, I don't use wireless charging) and only a teeny little warmth when the phone has been in use for a while - much less than my old 920 which would get distinctly hot after half an hour of forum browsing.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I had heard about this but wasn't sure how it works. Looks like now you can engage Cortana from your car head unit directly by "calling her".

http://www.wpcentral.com/how-to-use-cortana-car-bluetooth

1.To get started, turn on Bluetooth on your Windows Phone. Go to settings -> Bluetooth -> On
2.Pair your car to your Windows Phone device via Bluetooth. There's no universal way of doing this, so you may have to check you car manual
3.Once connected, it appears Windows Phone adds Cortana to the phone book (If not, you can create a Cortana entry with the dummy phone number '555-555-9876')
4.Now all you have to do is tell your car to "Call Cortana" using the voice command button on the steering wheel. It may be different on your car. On the car I tested, I needed to add Cortana as a speed dial
5.Go ahead and ask Cortana for anything that you've normally asked her

Different head units act differently, YMMV. Before I always had to activate from the phone, but could still use my car's mic. Just never from the head unit button.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It works pretty well for me. I still can't send texts with MyFord Touch and my Lumia 925, but at least I can have Cortana do it via Bluetooth.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Got the update. Folders work well and is great replacement for Nokia App Folders. XBox Music is still a flaming pile of garbage that still takes up to 10 seconds to load songs stored locally on the phone and still no gapless playback.

It's like Microsoft doesn't even give a poo poo anymore.

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 6, 2014

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

G-III posted:

Got the update. Folders work well and is great replacement for Nokia App Folders. XBox Music is still a flaming pile of garbage that still takes up to 10 seconds to load songs stored locally on the phone and still no gapless playback.

I still think it's mostly teams being hamstrung by release schedules and program managers. I'm really curious what effect this briefly had on the MixRadio team.

That said, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the podcast functionality in Windows Phone (even with third-party apps).

With my old Symbian phone, importing podcasts (without subscription) was super easy. You just set the Genre tag in the MP3 to "Podcast" and Symbian would dump it in the Podcasts section, and would remember your place in every single podcast that you played, and never forgot the progress unless the phone crashed while playing.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LentThem posted:

I still think it's mostly teams being hamstrung by release schedules and program managers. I'm really curious what effect this briefly had on the MixRadio team.

That said, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the podcast functionality in Windows Phone (even with third-party apps).

With my old Symbian phone, importing podcasts (without subscription) was super easy. You just set the Genre tag in the MP3 to "Podcast" and Symbian would dump it in the Podcasts section, and would remember your place in every single podcast that you played, and never forgot the progress unless the phone crashed while playing.

Yeah, as much as it makes me sound like a broken record this got worse with 8.0 (at least for US users) and 8.1 didn't really make it much better. Somehow apple seems to also be flushing their podcast experience down the toilet though too, so I'm somewhat torn. :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, as much as it makes me sound like a broken record this got worse with 8.0 (at least for US users) and 8.1 didn't really make it much better. Somehow apple seems to also be flushing their podcast experience down the toilet though too, so I'm somewhat torn. :(

At least with iOS you have multiple good choices for podcast management. WP8 basically threw everything that was good about music/podcasts down the toilet. It's been the dealbreaker for me every time I've tried the platform.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

My 920 keeps offering to download the update but I see the gears for about 30 seconds before it restarts and aborts with error 0x80188308. So far the only solution I've seen online is using Nokia's tool to wipe and reset the phone. Are the other options? Am I stuck waiting for Cyan before I can get the new OS?
Yeah, the options you have are basically either wait for Microsoft to fix it, or backup your phone, reset to 8.0 using the Nokia tool, sign in after the initial setup to get the dev preview app back, do all the updates, and then reset your phone to restore from the backup. I did the latter option, and I wouldn't recommend it if you're playing any games outside of maybe some of the MS ones, it deleted all of my Temple Run 2 progress. If you don't play games on your phone, it's probably easy enough to get everything else set back up.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Not sure if anyone else is having problems with Wifi, but the last 3 weeks my 8x hasn't been able to connect my home wifi, and it's starting to take longer to connect to existing networks as well, on average 10 - 15 seconds rather than the 2 -5 it used to be.

I've deleted and tried to reconnect but all I get is "The wireless network did not respond in time". I thought it might be the AP so I re-connected my old belkin router and that didn't make a difference, I've also messed around with different security settings but nothing, even tried a new network with no security.

Only thing I haven't tried is a full reset, Is that worth a try?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Try it. My girlfriend's 8X has been just fine.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Now that I have the update, I have to say that the folders are really, really nice. I didn't see myself using them too much when I first heard about them, I thought I was fine using small tiles, but it is much, much nicer to use larger tiles and put things in a folder.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I must be the only user in the world that never had an issue with podcasts or music on a 900, 520 and now a 1520.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nah, a lot of people don't, since a lot of people don't have music collections anymore and Spotify actually increasingly works ;)

Reading this thread one would think that xbox music was the most important feature in the world, but while I am sure it is problematic is gets a lot of time in the sun since there is little point to just endlessly post about things that work.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
My main gripe with the audio experience is podcasting. It is inconsistent.

I am still on 8.0 (thanks ATT), and have so many issues with the way the native app downloads podcasts and it forgetting where I left off and deciding to start all over. That is a huge annoyance when you're halfway through a 120 minute podcast.

For example, after finishing the latest episode it will automatically download the previous episode that I've already listened to. I have series settings to newest first and keep only 1.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Here are some of Mandarin Cortana's animations: http://livesino.net/archives/7314.live :3:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I haven't seen this posted yet, it's quite alarming:

http://betanews.com/2013/08/07/microsoft-warns-windows-phone-users-not-to-use-wifi-wait-what/

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

ElGroucho posted:

I must be the only user in the world that never had an issue with podcasts or music on a 900, 520 and now a 1520.

It sounds like an impossibility to never have had an issue with the Podcasts app, unless you are using it in a very specific way that just happens to avoid:

-The inability to save progress of more than one podcast at a time
-The inability to play more than one podcast episode in a row without manually creating a playlist
-Slogging through Bing search results for the podcast you want (instead of a marketplace)
-The lack of notifications or tile updates for new or unplayed episodes
-The inability to download an episode of a podcast without subscribing to it
-Subscriptions auto-downloading episodes that you don't want
-Playback speed settings being reverted after every episode
-The inability to sort your Favorites page
-Backstack issues that cause you to just swap between the same 2-3 pages multiple times before finally closing the app (but never really closing it)

Since these are functionality issues and not dependent on hardware or what files are stored on the phone (as is the case with Xbox Music), the only real use-case to avoid this minefield is to stream individual episodes and finish them in a single sitting while the app itself is in the background or the screen is locked.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Security through obscurity! :shepface:

Streaming episodes in one go is pretty much my podcast behavior, so I've never noticed any of that, but uh, wow.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

That is alarming, I think I'll go back in time a year and warn myself! I don't know, is it still an issue?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

That is alarming, I think I'll go back in time a year and warn myself! I don't know, is it still an issue?

You know, I just bought my dad a windows phone, and today he emailed me a link to that article... I didn't bother to check the date. I should have known better.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You know, I just bought my dad a windows phone, and today he emailed me a link to that article... I didn't bother to check the date. I should have known better.

My Dad called today and said his laptop crashed and he lost everything. Turns out he managed to somehow bungle his way to a full factory reset, the laptop is actually fine but goodbye data. Hooray for me setting him with crashplan a year ago.

Dads, not even once. All is forgiven.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

OldPueblo posted:

It affects all phones and PCs everywhere, if you do domain auth over WLAN without WPA2-EAP and certificates your company deserves to get hacked.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

G-III posted:

Apparently the latest OS update will work in part with another Xbox music update coming later that will give it the speed boost, Update 1 alone won't deliver it itself.

So I'm sure unlike the other 10 updates this one will really, really deliver. Really.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Apparently the latest OS update will work in part with another Xbox music update coming later that will give it the speed boost, Update 1 alone won't deliver it itself.

So I'm sure unlike the other 10 updates this one will really, really deliver. Really.

Microsoft is essentially saying to its customers right now "We will continuously leave a core piece of functionality terribly broken, why? gently caress you that's why." The hardware lineup for new phones looks dismal, music is broken, and WP gets the worst of breed apps. If microsoft's plan isn't to kill off Windows Phone I'd be surprised because they're doing everything they can to scare people away from the platform.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

LentThem posted:

It sounds like an impossibility to never have had an issue with the Podcasts app, unless you are using it in a very specific way that just happens to avoid:

-The inability to save progress of more than one podcast at a time
-The inability to play more than one podcast episode in a row without manually creating a playlist
-Slogging through Bing search results for the podcast you want (instead of a marketplace)
-The lack of notifications or tile updates for new or unplayed episodes
-The inability to download an episode of a podcast without subscribing to it
-Subscriptions auto-downloading episodes that you don't want
-Playback speed settings being reverted after every episode
-The inability to sort your Favorites page
-Backstack issues that cause you to just swap between the same 2-3 pages multiple times before finally closing the app (but never really closing it)

Since these are functionality issues and not dependent on hardware or what files are stored on the phone (as is the case with Xbox Music), the only real use-case to avoid this minefield is to stream individual episodes and finish them in a single sitting while the app itself is in the background or the screen is locked.

Well, I guess I'm just a filthy liar then? Most of these use cases I have never needed. Podcast playlist? How inconvenient is, "Wow, good 1 hour episode, let me see what else I have downloaded."

i get that there are little things that are annoying, but people on this thread act like their loving day is ruined any time their Nicki Minaj album art isn't loaded. Just get another phone, for fucksake.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2014

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

i get that there are little things that are annoying, but people on this thread act like their loving day is ruined any time their Nicki Minaj album art isn't loaded. Just get another phone, for fucksake.

You sound awfully upset that people aren't happy with it!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Just get another phone, for fucksake.

People are doing this when they run into all the little annoyances :confused:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not upset, I just get defensive when people come in who aren't having these issues and the immediate reaction is "You loving lie, you obviously aren't a power user, blah blah blah"

Some of us are just not having these issues, guys. I get that it isn't fair that things are hosed up for 25% of you, but some of us sincerely have no idea what you are talking about when you say you have problem X and Y. And then we ask to explain X and Y problem, and get called fan boys.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

G-III posted:

The hardware lineup for new phones looks dismal, music is broken, and WP gets the worst of breed apps.

Literally the only reason to use XBox Music is an abject unwillingness to use another player, and nothing else. And while the "official" app selection may not be able to rival other platforms, there are incredible alternatives to so many, most surpassing what can be found elsewhere. Anyone saying otherwise simply hasn't put the effort in to find what they need, has unrealistic expectations, or has a pathological need to parrot asinine platitudes.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I got the Cortana update. The screen still turns on when you give a command through headphones. That still sucks.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I'm not upset, I just get defensive when people come in who aren't having these issues and the immediate reaction is "You loving lie, you obviously aren't a power user, blah blah blah"

Some of us are just not having these issues, guys. I get that it isn't fair that things are hosed up for 25% of you, but some of us sincerely have no idea what you are talking about when you say you have problem X and Y. And then we ask to explain X and Y problem, and get called fan boys.

That's... not exactly what's happening, but it does seem like you're in the minority in this thread. Nobody's jumping down your throat, you're just overreacting that someone was shocked you didn't have any of the listed issues with podcasts.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

ElGroucho posted:

Well, I guess I'm just a filthy liar then? Most of these use cases I have never needed. Podcast playlist? How inconvenient is, "Wow, good 1 hour episode, let me see what else I have downloaded."

On the other hand, if the phone can't do something as basic as loading loving album art, then that's pretty loving annoying.

I have cyan right now. If i jump back on develoeprs, do I keep cyan?

Rent fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 8, 2014

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Microsoft - Just get another phone, for fucksake.

Yeah, you can roll back to 8, install cyan, then install 8.1 DP
I think...pretty sure.

So if you already have Cyan, dev preview should work.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

That's... not exactly what's happening, but it does seem like you're in the minority in this thread. Nobody's jumping down your throat, you're just overreacting that someone was shocked you didn't have any of the listed issues with podcasts.

No, I agree with the grouchy guy. I know the general consensus here is that Xbox Music is Satan at the moment and whenever it comes up people here act like it's the end of the world and everything but TBH it just works fine for me. I have a puny library of about 500 songs or so that I downloaded from my XBM subscription and mostly hit shuffle for Bluetooth streaming in the car and it just does what it needs to do. I feel like if I pipe up about it I'll get shouted down by the circle jerk (like what happened to elGroucho) so I mostly keep it to myself. I think it gives an excessively bad impression of something that may not work well for some people but most probably would do the job fine for most people's basic stuff.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

G-III posted:

Microsoft is essentially saying to its customers right now "We will continuously leave a core piece of functionality terribly broken, why? gently caress you that's why."

You do realize that the reason Music sucks right now is because they removed the core app from the OS so that the new app can be updated more frequently right? You understand that the whole point of them making all of this extra work for themselves was so that you can get an improved experience down the road, right? The app is admittedly a disaster right now and there's really no excuse for it, but your strident tone makes it sound like you think Microsoft is just sabotaging their app for fun, when instead its a rough, lovely, broken app during a Developer Preview that will gradually be fixed, and then will have an accelerated update cycle. You don't have to act so personally offended.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I wish metrotube had a shuffle for preloaded videos, that would suit me.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Are there any good alternatives to the stock music app? I just made the switch from an older Android to a Lumia 635 the other day and Music works okay so far, but it could be a little snappier. I'm not averse to shelling out a few bucks for something better.

I tried Awful Music, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. When I first start it up, it doesn't find any of my music (which is all on the SD card) and the option to start indexing manually is greyed out. Also the back button doesn't seem to work at all on the "no tracks found- start indexing!" error screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I tried Awful Music, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. When I first start it up, it doesn't find any of my music (which is all on the SD card) and the option to start indexing manually is greyed out. Also the back button doesn't seem to work at all on the "no tracks found- start indexing!" error screen.

Going to guess that's the issue, although if it's being picked up on the Xbox music app,mine should also pick it up.(I only tested the SD card on a Windows Phone Emulator, but it did get it.) When the index button is grayed out, that means it is indexing and a progress bar on the top of the app should appear.