Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zackarotto posted:

Here's some stuff I did recently!

Ahhh these are great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Besesoth posted:

I just noticed that this horse has some crazy back legs.

It's easy to misinterpret how animal legs work because many animals have joints that, from the outside, look like they're part of the torso. But horses (and cats, and dogs, and bears, etc.) have four-jointed limbs just like we do, with the same basic ranges of motion - and they're in the same configuration ours are in, too!

A horse's "upper arm" and "thigh" look like they're part of the torso, but do move when the horse walks/runs. They rotate from the hip and shoulder, respectively. The "forearm" and "calf" are the first part of the visible limb, and rotate from the elbow and knee. The "hand" and "foot" are the second section, opposed in direction from the forearm and calf; they rotate from the wrist and ankle. And the hooves are, functionally, "fingers" and "toes", joined to the hand at the knuckle.

All four parts of each limb move when the horse moves, and the joints only bend one way. Look at your own limbs to see how the joint-bending works; it's exactly the same.

This is more of a trot (I used Skiant's reference image - with the orange hindlimb - from earlier on the page), and I reduced each limb to one pixel wide for clarity, but it should give you an idea of how to proceed:

(Spear Guy stabs a lot because I had to double the length of the GIF to get a full walk cycle.)

Thanks for the advice! Should i redo the back legs then or are they serviceable for the moment?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Why is this not your avatar?

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Shoehead posted:

Ahhh these are great!
Thank you!! Now I'm all fired up!

Scut posted:

Why is this not your avatar?
Haha, I like the one I have! (actually, maybe I could do a pixel art version that doesn't flicker so much... I just made the existing one with a photoshop tween, years ago.)

edit: not in any hurry to buy it, but I think it's an improvement!

Zackarotto fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 2, 2014

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Red Mike posted:

The humans are looking grand. Feet during archery are a bit weird. Either have him move a bit forwards so he's pivoting on his back leg to get into position, or have him move the feet in order somehow. Right now it looks like he's 'sliding' into the position. Try and imitate it yourself, and you'll see what sort of movement you have to do in order to move the feet into position.

Do me a favour and experiment a bit with the slash trail. Have it start as a tiny one just before the big frame, and then dissipate after the slash rather than appear and reappear instantly.

Still, looks grand, except for the horse, which was to be expected. The front legs look like a good run loop for a guy, to be honest. :v:

I didn't ignore your advice btw, sorry for the really late reply, been working on the horse lately but decided to give that a break for now:

Not much of an update, but there it is. Tried changing the archer's leg rotation, added a blur to the follow up frame, i'll experiment with it disappating after the attack has finished.

Haven't finished the wolf attack, not sure where to go with it. In regards to the zombie i wanted the attack to look slow, but powerful, not sure i got it right.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I didn't ignore your advice btw, sorry for the really late reply, been working on the horse lately but decided to give that a break for now:

Not much of an update, but there it is. Tried changing the archer's leg rotation, added a blur to the follow up frame, i'll experiment with it disappating after the attack has finished.

Haven't finished the wolf attack, not sure where to go with it. In regards to the zombie i wanted the attack to look slow, but powerful, not sure i got it right.

Just regarding the trail, it looks better, but the weird angling at the end of the slash is really odd. Maybe try to AA it a bit, especially the lonely particles when it's dissipating.

The zombie attack doesn't really have much impact. Slow yeah, but no real force behind it.

The archer still has the same problem. It looks like he's spinning on his heels, but my intuition says he should be mostly spinning on the balls of his feet.

The wolf doesn't really feel good to me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Other than these bits, I think it looks great. I especially like the second frame, with the melee attack. Lacks a bit of impact, but it's quite fluid.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I think you want to put more force into the backswing on the zombie? Spend more time on pulling the arms back and then have it come down like WHAM, faster, on the downswing. You might want a couple more frames for the pull-back, exaggerate the movement more? I tried messing with the timing alone but it still sort of just reads as waving arms.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

I took a sprite that I always thought was amazing and used it as the basis for something of my own. This is a Ryu sprite from Breath of Fire 2:

I made this thing:

A few educational notes:
• The Ryu sprite has very vibrant colors and is economical about it, at 16 colors, I think it was. Mine is a little less strict, ranging from 15-19 or so depending on the frame.

• The Ryu sprite is also very economical with frames, despite being a lot more wild and energetic than mine (this is somewhat deliberate in that I was trying to animate a sort of laid-back, magical attack that cuts further than the swing, rather than copying the feel of the other... but I was still a little disappointed when mine felt less exciting to look at). Ryu has ten frames, but most of these are minor changes: hair, gusts of wind. There are only five positions that Ryu's body ever takes! In mine, there are twelve frames, and I changed the body in eight of those. In other words, I did less with more. (My guy does bother to put his weapon away, at least, so he's got that going for him.)

• Ryu's swing is only one frame--his body takes on four other forms just in preparing for it (going down low, getting up on one leg, moving around a lot between each position), and there are four frames of just the aftershock of his blow where he doesn't move at all. If you stuck another frame in the middle of his swing, even a well-drawn one, I'm sure it would be much less exciting.

• The afterimages when he unsheathes his sword and again when he swings are especially cool: I tried it a little on mine, but could've used it more. Some of the quick hand motions are hard to read on mine because they're only there for one frame. With more afterimages, it might be easier to see the straight razor move in and then back out behind the body and then away.

• I'm still kinda proud of what I made, so I'm not fishing for compliments when I insult mine! Direct comparison to what I feel is a classic was humbling, but I think a neat way to learn. I also pretty much stole the shape and palette of the gusts of air from it, so, yeah.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
sorry about the poopie screen cap quality, but this is what I've got so far on Dropsy's intro cinematic. looking for any suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqPbcf8sZU

so far I'm going to change the black bars from fading to moving in from top/bottom, and increase the pause after the fire bit

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Zackarotto posted:

I took a sprite that I always thought was amazing and used it as the basis for something of my own. This is a Ryu sprite from Breath of Fire 2:

The movement in this seemed odd so I looked it up in the context of the game and found that that gif leaves out quite a lot. Excuse the Youtube video source but I think the animation is even more interesting in-game:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Red Mike posted:

Just regarding the trail, it looks better, but the weird angling at the end of the slash is really odd. Maybe try to AA it a bit, especially the lonely particles when it's dissipating.

The zombie attack doesn't really have much impact. Slow yeah, but no real force behind it.

The archer still has the same problem. It looks like he's spinning on his heels, but my intuition says he should be mostly spinning on the balls of his feet.

The wolf doesn't really feel good to me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Other than these bits, I think it looks great. I especially like the second frame, with the melee attack. Lacks a bit of impact, but it's quite fluid.

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

I think you want to put more force into the backswing on the zombie? Spend more time on pulling the arms back and then have it come down like WHAM, faster, on the downswing. You might want a couple more frames for the pull-back, exaggerate the movement more? I tried messing with the timing alone but it still sort of just reads as waving arms.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Here's an edit:

I tried to make it look like the archer was spinning on the balls of his feet like you mentioned Red Mike, not sure if it looks like that.

I also tried changing the zombie. Probably still lacks impact but hopefully it's a step in the right direction!

Also changed the wolf, made it look like it was actually snapping, rather than just lunging forwards with it's mouth open.

And lastly i changed the angle and direction of the slash, but also removed the lonely particles (for now).

Hopefully these are improvements at least.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Chin posted:

The movement in this seemed odd so I looked it up in the context of the game and found that that gif leaves out quite a lot. Excuse the Youtube video source but I think the animation is even more interesting in-game:

Oh hey, thanks. I found a clean version to look at that has these frames (1x size version):

I went over them frame by frame and the timing is the same as yours, proportionally--it holds the idle frame longer, so they don't sync up--but it increases the frame delay instead of making 4 or 8 copies of it. Kinda makes it easier to understand the timing.

So here were the problems with the gif I was going by before:
• It was missing three frames. One of which is Ryu's regular idle frame, another is a frame of the plume of smoke at the feet, and also one frame that just shifts the whole sprite over a few pixels when he moves in for the kill. So none of these are suuper integral, but everything helps, of course.
• The timing was a lot worse. Some frames are supposed to be held as much as 8x longer than others.
• The frames weren't positioned correctly.
• The swing afterimage frames are in the wrong order! This is probably the only thing that lead me astray when I was creating my own sprite. Jeez. Good to know.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

And lastly i changed the angle and direction of the slash, but also removed the lonely particles (for now).
The slash afterimage/air-trail thing should probably trace along the tip of the blade rather than stopping somewhere short of it (or match the width of the entire blade, like in the Breath of Fire 2 sprite I've been talking about). It does look better though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

sorry about the poopie screen cap quality, but this is what I've got so far on Dropsy's intro cinematic. looking for any suggestions:

so far I'm going to change the black bars from fading to moving in from top/bottom, and increase the pause after the fire bit

Yeah, could you make it not break my heart?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

I feel like the very final pan should be slower. Increase the melancholy a bit.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

looking for any suggestions:
I'd tinker with the trapeze artist's arms a bit (around 16 seconds). It might actually be the little 1-pixel adjustments of the arm on the left that are throwing me off, but you might want to play around with the positions of the other arm, too. I don't think you'll have to add any frames.

This is great though! What are you making it in? I've never tried anything like a cinematic.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

MikeJF posted:

I feel like the very final pan should be slower. Increase the melancholy a bit.

Good idea, I agree.

Zackarotto posted:

I'd tinker with the trapeze artist's arms a bit (around 16 seconds). It might actually be the little 1-pixel adjustments of the arm on the left that are throwing me off, but you might want to play around with the positions of the other arm, too. I don't think you'll have to add any frames.

This is great though! What are you making it in? I've never tried anything like a cinematic.

Do you mean they just look anatomically weird, or the animation looks weird moving so slowly at such a low framerate? I know it looks a little off, but I can't quite pinpoint it.

Thanks guys.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

For a lengthy cutscene like this, I think it can please even at a low framerate--people won't care if it's jumping between frames, if the positioning changes properly over time, moving greater distances in a frame during the faster parts of the movement. You can add frames if you really want, but it's your workload that'll be increasing.

Maybe it is just an anatomical thing with the arm--just guessing, but I think her elbow doesn't seem to know where it's going until the hand has already been raised all the way. If you raised your arm up from the hip like that, would you leave it bent out that far? Maybe the elbow should be more camera-facing on the way up, or the forearm should get vertical within one frame or two at most. Good luck, and don't agonize too much over it!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Zackarotto posted:

The slash afterimage/air-trail thing should probably trace along the tip of the blade rather than stopping somewhere short of it (or match the width of the entire blade, like in the Breath of Fire 2 sprite I've been talking about). It does look better though.

Like this?

Tried doing what you said, not sure if it looks right however.

Going to try a running animation, and eventually add it to the sprites, so they're running (or at least melee characters are) before they attack, maybe it'll make them look more interesting?

Anyone got any tutorials on running? I've got walking down but running is quite different it seems.

Edit:

Here's my attempt at a running animation:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 3, 2014

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You're in luck, I've been reading the thread backwards and I saved this:

Hopefully it's of some use to you?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Working on improving my old KO animation.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Dig man wants to run.

Dig man wants to dig.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You're in luck, I've been reading the thread backwards and I saved this:

Hopefully it's of some use to you?

Thanks! I appreciate this, will use it in combination with the Animator's Survival guide (which i recommend to you if you're trying animating as well!).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fixing more animations

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Fixing more animations

Is the bottom one the new one?

Also here's my new and updated running animation:

Hopefully it actually resembles someone running this time!

Edit:

Attack + Run animation combined:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

To my eye, it kind of looks like the torso needs to be leaning forward a tiny bit more?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I'm not an artist but I really like pixel art and decided to give it a swing.

I made this weird thing while I was bored at work and I'm looking for any kind of tips to make it look less lovely.

Didn't start shading the sad guy because I'm terrible at it and I don't even know where to start with him. The outline looks like poo poo too but I haven't checked out how to do anti-aliasing or whatever.

I also made this guy but I don't really like him, the idea seems like something a kid would come up with (also I rushed the colours)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Things Fuego is still bad at drawing: people.

Things Fuego is apparently getting better at drawing: piles of stuffed animals.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spent my off time over the last few days of work on these two trees for the main character's back yard, turns out they are ludicrously oversized for the setting and really don't make much sense. Oh well. I did enjoy doing them, at least.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Tried doing what you said, not sure if it looks right however.

Hmm... I think it needs a few more adjustments. I took a look at it. Those swing frames should probably show as one consistent arc, for one thing. Here's what it looks like when you cut out the arc from one frame and paste it over the next:

I think you would be better off with one swing frame instead of two, anyway. All your guys are on one gif with identical timing, so you're probably pressured to keep them all at the same frame count and to hold frame 3 twice as long as frame 4 whether you're drawing a bow or lunging with a spear or whatever, and that may be a constraint you could live without. But it might work to position frame 5's sword back to just slightly past frame 4's, and to do almost the entirety of the swing on frame 6 where he's "picked up speed". Or have him come down sooner, and take longer to recover from the weight of it--I couldn't say which is better without trying them out.

Highblood posted:

I'm not an artist but I really like pixel art and decided to give it a swing.

I made this weird thing while I was bored at work and I'm looking for any kind of tips to make it look less lovely.
First of all, as long as you're "not an artist" you won't get very far just learning how to anti-alias a curve or whatever--it's just another medium, and while there are technical rules to learn and follow (especially in animation), you're going to want to approach this "as an artist", draw with reference, and practice. If you want to draw a cartoon duck guy(??) look at ducks and at drawings of cartoon duck guys.

I can see the appeal to do pixel art for people who aren't confident in their work with a pencil: even if you have limited dexterity/coordination, you can work out a curve of pixels logically--even if it takes you ten times longer, you won't mess up a page drawing and erasing. If you have enough practice with a mouse to click links in your browser without missing them, you've got enough skill to place pixels, and the rest is in your mind, right? That said, in my experience it's never really a dexterity limitation that holds anyone back from being a good artist--if they can draw better when copying/tracing other people's poo poo than they can draw trying to make something original, they haven't come close to reaching their full physical potential as an artist.

I dunno if there's a great "how to draw" resource that people unequivocally recommend the way they do for Richard Williams' book when learning how to animate, but here's a couple pixel art tutorials and references that have been linked in the past. They might be useful:
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5692

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fuego Fish posted:

Things Fuego is still bad at drawing: people.

Things Fuego is apparently getting better at drawing: piles of stuffed animals.

Wow, this looks great!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Zackarotto posted:

Hmm... I think it needs a few more adjustments. I took a look at it. Those swing frames should probably show as one consistent arc, for one thing. Here's what it looks like when you cut out the arc from one frame and paste it over the next:

I think you would be better off with one swing frame instead of two, anyway. All your guys are on one gif with identical timing, so you're probably pressured to keep them all at the same frame count and to hold frame 3 twice as long as frame 4 whether you're drawing a bow or lunging with a spear or whatever, and that may be a constraint you could live without. But it might work to position frame 5's sword back to just slightly past frame 4's, and to do almost the entirety of the swing on frame 6 where he's "picked up speed". Or have him come down sooner, and take longer to recover from the weight of it--I couldn't say which is better without trying them out.

Thanks for the advice! I tried doing what you said, but i fear it doesn't translate as well:

Apologies if this isn't what you meant, Zackarotto! All and any advice is useful for making it better, just unsure how at the moment.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice! I tried doing what you said, but i fear it doesn't translate as well:

Apologies if this isn't what you meant, Zackarotto! All and any advice is useful for making it better, just unsure how at the moment.

After the sword down + slash frame, have one additional frame where his sword is still down but the slash is not there. That'll make it seem like he swung so hard, it takes him a second to pull the sword up from the force. Right now the animation is so fluid from raising to swinging to holding back that nothing feels like it has force.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

poemdexter posted:

After the sword down + slash frame, have one additional frame where his sword is still down but the slash is not there. That'll make it seem like he swung so hard, it takes him a second to pull the sword up from the force. Right now the animation is so fluid from raising to swinging to holding back that nothing feels like it has force.

Like this?

Added an extra frame where he begins to lift the sword after the swing and extended the duration of the frame where there's no slash.

Will try to make the sword look less weird in the new frame.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 5, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Like this?

Added an extra frame where he begins to lift the sword after the swing and extended the duration of the frame where there's no slash.

Will try to make the sword look less weird in the new frame.

Yah that feels a lot better to me. Like he swung so hard, it takes a second to reverse direction of the blade to lift it back up. I like it!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Yah that feels a lot better to me. Like he swung so hard, it takes a second to reverse direction of the blade to lift it back up. I like it!

Thanks! Done roughly the same with the one-handed weapon attack, although the delay isn't as big as the two-handed attack:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, that extra frame or two makes a huge difference. It feels a lot more 'right' now!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks! Done roughly the same with the one-handed weapon attack, although the delay isn't as big as the two-handed attack:

That feels very meaty now, I dig it. Nice progress!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

This was supposed to be some sort of exercise in animating perspective for me, but I'm, uh, not sure how successful it was. Perspective is hard!! Whatever, I had fun at least. Also, it was my first (extremely) tentative foray into hue-shifting :v:

bonus round:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

This was supposed to be some sort of exercise in animating perspective for me, but I'm, uh, not sure how successful it was. Perspective is hard!! Whatever, I had fun at least. Also, it was my first (extremely) tentative foray into hue-shifting :v:

bonus round:

The perspective shift looks successful to me. You should make the lens light up + exclamation mark appear on the last frame of the turn.

-

I made the smallest font I could!

also this